Suzuki Mamas Tribe - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 459 Old 05-21-2010, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Using my "quick quotes quill", I will respond.

First of all, thanks for all the feedback. She is definitely still the right size for 1/2 size still. She isn't doing chamber stuff yet, and is auditioning in 3 weeks for the regional strings ensemble. I'm talking about her school orchestra teacher in an infant program which she likes but plays better than the 8th graders.

I told her if he mentions it again that she will be following her private teachers' guidelines, to avoid injury. Oh, and she's getting new strings and hair next week, which should help as well (that would be my errand...). There are students in the regional orchestra playing on 1/8s, 1/4s, and 1/2s as well as larger, so I'm really not concerned about that; just her own best tone for instrument.
#362 of 459 Old 05-27-2010, 04:11 AM

So DD had a joint lesson this morning at our house with the teacher's son. She brings her toddler too (of course) so there were two adults and four littlies in our tiny loungeroom and in the ensuing craziness while tuning DD's violin DS grabbed her bow by the hair with raspberry jam all over his hands It doesn't, umm work anymore
Is it possible to clean it? She suggested wiping with methylated spirits but that sounds a bit harsh to me. DH thought shampoo (since it is hair after all) and in either case enormous amounts of rosin afterwards. What do you think?

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#363 of 459 Old 05-29-2010, 01:21 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I've used denatured alcohol before for removing grime and grease with reasonable results. I would definitely use that rather than shampoo, since the latter is a potpourri of synthetic detergents, colorants, scents etc.. Any crud on the bow quickly gets mixed in with the rosin itself, so you really need something that can dissolve the rosin. Rosin is a highly hydrophobic compound made up largely of terpenes. It would require lots of very harsh detergents, or else an organic solvent, to dissolve. I think a pure organic solvent is the way to go. Just be very careful to keep it off the stick because it'll dissolve the finish. Unscrew the bowhair from the stick and cover the stick, then set to work with paper towels, solvent and a comb.

After removing all the rosin and grime, you'll need to reapply the rosin of course. I find that bows cleaned this way function pretty well, but the hair never seems to hold onto the rosin quite as well as it did before.

For the little bit of grime that accumulates right near the frog due to the thumb, a useful trick is to clean the hair by rubbing it with a sugar cube. It's the right size, dry, slightly abrasive, and tends to absorbs the hand grease. The cosmetic improvement is better than the functional improvement, but it does improve grip on the strings somewhat.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#364 of 459 Old 05-29-2010, 05:49 AM

Thanks Miranda

#365 of 459 Old 06-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
For the little bit of grime that accumulates right near the frog due to the thumb, a useful trick is to clean the hair by rubbing it with a sugar cube. It's the right size, dry, slightly abrasive, and tends to absorbs the hand grease. The cosmetic improvement is better than the functional improvement,
This sounds really useful at our house, as dd tends to have the rigorous skin oil that dh has and gets dirty right at the frog very quickly after a rehair. The bigger problem will be to actually find sugar cubes; I'll be looking in all the supermarkets I frequent, for the next while, I guess.
#366 of 459 Old 06-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Actually, I really dropped in to share my idea and get feedback. We will be camping in a dry climate (Denver) for almost a week this summer, and I decided that I was NOT going to try to take dd's "nice" violin (Doetsch) for that period. We have a separate "student model" half-size violin and super light-weight case. The cheap wood bow that goes with it is toast.

So here's my idea--set up the cheap violin with inexpensive strings (red label?) and buy a Glasser bow at Sharmusic. Then we have a violin and bow that will play OK, and the bow won't warp in the dry climate, and bring our green worm (what's that called?) to help hydrate.

Feedback? We will need to leave the violin in the tent or the trunk of the car. Which is worse?
#367 of 459 Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 PM

Anyone going to the SAGWA Suzuki Institute tomorrow? DD is starting. Very excited. I won't really be too involved (missing all the lectures) because of my other children.
#368 of 459 Old 07-08-2010, 05:49 PM

Please PM me if you know of any instructors willing to work with 3 yos in Manhattan.
#369 of 459 Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 PM

Bekka - how did your special camping gear work out? I did something similar on a long road trip. I had an audition coming up a few weeks after our trip, and I knew that I needed to practice absolutely every day leading up to that. There was no way to hike and sight-see *and* protect my professional instrument. So I rented one. I felt a little guilty about subjecting any instrument to a hot trunk, but this rental really was a clunker! It weighed a ton, and it came with one of those fiberglass Glasser bows. (Ick)

It did its job of keeping my fingers in shape, and I really appreciated my instrument after our trip!
#370 of 459 Old 07-19-2010, 10:59 AM

Miranda and Stacy (and other teachers and Moms with Suzuki insight!) - I just got an email from a student's Mom about an ongoing issue. The younger of two sisters is struggling with her practice and wants to quit lessons. I appreciate that the parents have told her "violin is what we do, and you play too well to quit." They are continuing for now, but her Mom has told me that she is very frustrated with her daughter's attitude.

This student has several recently diagnosed learning disabilities. I don't have many details on these. I'm not sure how her LD directly affect her violin learning. I do know that the self-esteem issues do impact her practice sessions and her lessons. She is very sensitive to correction.

I did ask the Mom what her daughter dislikes about violin, and her daughter's response was "you and my teacher listen to me play, tell me what's good about it, then make me work on it some more." How would you go about addressing this? Do you interpret this as a student who probably needs more ownership?

They are going to Institute in a few weeks. I hope it's a good experience. They are going to a brand new one that has a different format.
#371 of 459 Old 07-19-2010, 06:18 PM

Can I have some advice on guiding DD as she chooses an instrument? I expect her to start lessons in a month and a half, when she will be 3 yo. She has tried out both violin and cello and liked both. When asked, she will say she wants to play both. (This is her typical answer when presented with a choice.) I had expected her to go a school where they would interview her and guide us to the best fit (whereas I know I picked violin just because girls I wanted to be friends with played the violin -- nothing to do with me and the instrument) but for various irritating reasons we are just going with private lessons independent of any school for the first year.
#372 of 459 Old 07-20-2010, 05:26 AM

ebethmom, I teach but not Suzuki. I think you're correct that she needs more ownership. How about asking her what she thinks could be improved?
PiePie, it isn't clear from your post if she's really driven to play an instrument at all yet. Is there a reason you want her to start at three? My DD was desperate to start violin from her second birthday. Because we moved just after we found a teacher she had one lesson but then didn't start until around 3.75. If she'd continued with that desperation in the interim we would have searched harder for a teacher in our new area but she found ballet in the meantime and I think those extra months have been helpful

#373 of 459 Old 07-20-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamapagan View Post
My DD was desperate to start violin from her second birthday. Because we moved just after we found a teacher she had one lesson but then didn't start until around 3.75.
This was my dd as well. She started at 3 y 2 mos. The first 6 months were hard. Then it was great for a while. We of course had hard patches but in general she is now almost 12 and has (almost) full ownership except for reminders TO practice. This is good b/c she mostly practices 2 plus hours a day, and I canNOT sit with her more than 10 min chunks these days.

Tried starting my son when he was 4 1/2 and "really wanted to" and we backed off. He was not ready. My next kid just turned 4. I really am in the mode of start when the kid is ready. I think if anyone else wants to do violin I'd start between 4 1/2 and 6, depending on her insistence (the youngest 2 are both girls). Yes, even for Suzuki.

We haven't gone camping yet. DH just brought home the cheap violin with its strings replaced this week. The (cheaper) luthier took the fine tuners off b/c they're the wrong kind for wrapped strings, so we're practicing tuning with just pegs, certainly a real challenge. We didn't want to put much money into the alt. violin. DD is practicing on it a little bit this week. It sounds like it's a smaller "room" inside than her current violin, although it's a slightly large 1/2 size. It's an interesting tone for the Scottish fiddling she's playing with (since Institute). We're going camping next week. The other good thing is, the case is a tiny case, as opposed to her behemoth case. We'll have to get one of the super expensive kinds of cases for travel, as we won't usually be camping for many days in a row; just visiting GPs across the country.

Would you turn the pegs 1/4 turn flat for while in flight?
#374 of 459 Old 07-23-2010, 09:11 PM

Just checking in, I have a DS who plays the cello and has been for the last couple of years. We were late starters (he started at 7) and he enjoys it immensely. Looking forward to what this thread has in store.

Natashacd.gifafro.jpg - wife to Mr. Nicholes, mom to the Cellist(13) the Ladybug(4) and the Twizzlers (2)

#375 of 459 Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 AM

Checking back in after a long hiatus. I had just about forgotten about this tribe, but I'm glad it's still here.

I am struggling with Suzuki. Ds1 has been playing for about 1 year and 8 months. It has been up and down. Things do seem to be finally coming together in terms of his positioning with bow and violin hand. It does seem like once one thing gets fixed, something else gets out of whack.

We have struggled with practice. To be honest, I'm not sure I'M disciplined enough for Suzuki. I try, but with soon-to-be -four kiddos under age 7, life just seems really full. Also, sometimes he will really fight me about practice, which makes me dread it, too.

He is starting first grade in the fall, and I am wondering when to fit practice in once he is full-time. His school goes really late... 9 to 4, so there is not a whole lot of time in the evening with dinner and getting ready for bed... and he so needs some down/play time, too.

We're also starting my 4 1/2 year old in a couple of weeks, who is very eager to start. Ds1 will be switching teachers (same studio... it's scheduling/time issues), and ds2 will start with the new teacher. And I'm having a baby in October. So, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. But I don't want to stop... progress has been so slow for ds1 that a long break would put us back to square 1. I try not to compare, but students that started much later are past him in book 1... I am just glad he doesn't really notice that.

I have just been going along on the premise that I can just do the best I can with life circumstances in the moment, and at least he's getting the exposure, even though we are by far not a perfect Suzuki family. But then I read things about kids just needing to be kids and not pushed early into formal lessons, etc. and wonder if I am just on some kind of ego trip.

I don't think so... I am not aiming to have professional musicians. I just want them to have a musical background so if they choose to pursue it more formally later, they have that potential (I feel like I never had a chance starting an instrument later, 5th grade, and never being able to take private lessons, and never getting very good even though I practiced a lot). And, I want them to love music and be able to play informally and have something to enjoy for the rest of their lives.

So, anyways, I am glad this thread is here to get a little encouragement, some ideas for making practice more fun, and I'm hoping for a "hang in there, it does get better/easier, it's worth it" etc.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#376 of 459 Old 09-10-2010, 09:21 AM

I will just reply quickly, honeybee. Hang in there; transitions (new school years) can be really hard. My daughter was in book 1 for three years--a teacher transition actually slowed things down a bit, but may not for all children. She is 12 and is advancing readily through book 5 and plays well and with confidence. Advancing quickly is not always ideal.

And there is space to "let kids be kids" within the context of Suzuki... many of us have reached some sort of hiatus where we needed to "let things go" for a while; do the minimum, etc. Make sure you have read Ed Sprunger's book, it has some ideas for you.

This thread moves slow, but there are good ideas here sometimes. Your goals for music are great!
#377 of 459 Old 09-14-2010, 12:14 AM

Hey everyone. I was referred to this tribe. I see lots of pages of info I can learn. My dd(7)'s charter arts school started a honors music for the lower grades that weren't offered orchestra(K thru 2nd or 3rd) and they get to do suzuki violin lessons this year. At first it was going to be once a week but the teacher increased it starting this week to Tuesdays and Thursdays so extra learning.

I may seek out private lessons over next summer as well.

I was wondering about a few things but I'll spend some time reading before I dive in.

Oh and I am reading The Suzuki Violinist by William Starr.

Melissa mama to Zoë 7/26/03
#378 of 459 Old 09-14-2010, 05:03 PM

Melissa--

First of all, make sure that you play the Suzuki Violin 1 tape/CD whenever you can--at least once a day!

If you can leave the violin out on a table where it will not get hurt or sat on (hard to do if you have toddlers in the house), the violin will be played more often!

I also found that my playing the violin [by watching the instructor teach my son, my 10 year old daughter (who was not taking violin) and I were able to do it], we were able to stimulate my son to play the violin also! The revised editions of Suzuki violin are much better at explaining to lay people about how to do the exercises.

It also helped us by buying Don't Fret Violin "Finger Tape" Decal (amazon.com sells it; we got it from www.ymonline.com) to let us know where to place our fingers. We had the store where we bought the violin put the Don't Fret sticker on the violin.
#379 of 459 Old 09-16-2010, 02:43 AM

The teacher put 3 tapes on the "neck"(going on limited time and knowledge of the violin) under the strings. Is that the tape?

She learned to pluck twinkle twinkle little star. I'll see what happens tomorrow. She definitely needs to practice more but I don't have any tapes or books other than the ones I proactively checked out at the public library. How do I find this "tape". I'm sure practice will increase when she has more learned but I try to encourage her to at least play around. Does the tape/cd help with that?

We have a very snoopy kitten that climbs on everything so I don't feel comfortable leaving it out of the case but the case is located in the living room so it gets passed by a lot. I have that same problem with my camera. I want to learn more and more and grow with photography and leaving it out keeps it handy and more ready but I do leave it on the floor sometimes. Its ready to grab and take the cap off and already on the floor so it can't be knocked off. But my camera is more sturdy than the violin so alas it is staying in the case when she is not using it for now. The kitty already plays with(or tries) the guitar hero guitars.

Melissa mama to Zoë 7/26/03
#380 of 459 Old 09-23-2010, 12:02 PM

Do you have a cabinet drawer? We found so often that it was extremely time consuming to get the violin out of the case, and dd lost interest by the time it was out. We had a cabinet with a large deep drawer, so I lined it with an old pillowcase and she has kept her violin in the same drawer for many years now. She's on a 1/2 size violin at the moment and it still fits; I am wondering about a 3/4 violin when she gets there, but she has younger siblings and we may need the violin drawer for someone else's violin at some point. Right now her sister plays the piano and no one else plays.
#381 of 459 Old 09-24-2010, 11:21 AM

My 4.5 year old is new to suzuki piano, as am I. we've had 2 lessons so far and he is really disliking it. The lessons are okay, it is the practice that he doesn't like. In particular the "games" where he is supposed to be learning which fingers are which numbers and games where he is learing the rhythm for the first twinkle exercise. What we are supposed to be doing so far:
1. play anything you want and give it a name ( he likes this)
2. games for finger numbers, which he hates even though I keep trying different things
3. games for the rhythm, doesn't like this too much but will do it if i let him lead and I copy him
4. play the twinkle rhythm on the piano, he will do it, but doesn't love it.

Is he too young?
do we need to try for longer to know?
any suggestions for other games?

I am worried I am killing his love for music and I will totlaly turn him off piano for good. This is not how I thought it would go, particularity with suzuki piano.

I am trying to consistantly have practise at the same time of day so it just becomes routine, ( home from preshcool, eat lunch, then practise) but sometimes then the baby needs a nap right then, then we won't do it while the baby is napping, by then its time to pick up my other child for shcool and practise gets lost in the day. I need better consistancy here I know.
#382 of 459 Old 09-29-2010, 05:45 PM

How early is school? Our best results have been to do at least 1/2 of practice before school whenever is possible. It's hard with a baby, though...
#383 of 459 Old 09-30-2010, 10:57 AM

I would definitely give it a little more time, at least 3 months. You and he will find your way with this, but it takes time, I think. You are asking him to do something completely different from his usual activities and you have to figure out what's motivating, when to back off, etc. I wouldn't worry if you miss a day or two each week; shoot for a number you can manage (like 4 out of 7). I have also asked her teacher for help with practice ideas when we get stuck, and she's always been great. You could certainly call her up for some tips.

I think our daughter was 5 before she figured out the connection between practice and improvement - she started at 3.5. That's a cognitive leap that takes time and experience.

Good luck!
#384 of 459 Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 AM

What is his personality like? My DD hated violin "games" but she doesn't mind practice at all She needs to feel as though she is actually working towards a goal rather than just "playing games". It was awfully confusing for a while as she seemed to want to do violin so much yet every week she would resist practicing more and more until just as we were thinking we should give up the idea she said "I don't want to play violin games, I want to do real practice!". Oh, OK! We finally got it. Perhaps your DS feels similarly?
Having said all that, DD has been at a standstill for a couple of months. A combination of two long road trips sans violin and difficulties with the teacher's children (who are with her in DD's lessons). I think the only way to surmount the teacher difficulties and keep DD's interest is probably to give up on that teacher. Seeing as there isn't another certified Suzuki teacher within a 40 min drive (and I don't drive) I guess that means I wont be a real Suzuki Mama anymore Maybe I'll have to start a "sort of, not really Suzuki Mamas Tribe"

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#385 of 459 Old 10-07-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post
Do you have a cabinet drawer? We found so often that it was extremely time consuming to get the violin out of the case, and dd lost interest by the time it was out. We had a cabinet with a large deep drawer, so I lined it with an old pillowcase and she has kept her violin in the same drawer for many years now. She's on a 1/2 size violin at the moment and it still fits; I am wondering about a 3/4 violin when she gets there, but she has younger siblings and we may need the violin drawer for someone else's violin at some point. Right now her sister plays the piano and no one else plays.
Just reading back. This is such a good idea . DD is pretty focused & likes the ritual of the case so if it was just her it wouldn't be a problem but of course little brother (16 months) is always around and with his "help" it always takes longer than it should. I wonder if we could find somewhere else to keep it....

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#386 of 459 Old 10-19-2010, 01:07 AM

Hello Mamas!

I'm a long time lurker, both on the boards and this tribe. I got an account sveral months ago and finally decided it's time to come out of lurkdom.

I'm not sure there's a Suzuki-thing that I'm not. I grew up as a Suzuki kid and am now a Suzuki teacher and mama to three young Suzuki violinists.
My eldest, DD 12, started violin a month before turning three. She'd been beggingfor lessons for months and I eventually managed to find a teacher who we both felt comfortable with and didn't think it was crazy for a not-quite-three-year-old to be in love with the violin. It's been a long journey, with many ups and downs. She just started her first Mozart concerto (5) and is loving it.
DS 8 also loved violin as a baby/toddler/preschooler and started at age 3. He's having a great time learning his first concerti movements (Seitz).
DD 5 is thrilled to be starting "real" violin lessons this year. We adopted her from China when she was four and she's only started talking understandable English a few months ago. Violin lessons just weren't an option so I taught her at home. She's speaking very clearly now, and, sure she can do everything her older siblings can, has started taking lessons with our lovely teacher. She's working on the Twinkles.

So, that's me!

~Kristina~
Earth loving, unschooling mama to Elisabeth (12), Sam (8), and Grace (5).
#387 of 459 Old 10-19-2010, 01:48 AM

Hi Kris! I grew up as a Suzuki kid, too. I only played violin for my first year, then switched to viola. Growing up as a Suzuki violist before the viola books were published meant that I was on the outside looking in a lot of the time. Now I'm a violist who mostly teaches violin students. Again, on the outside!

Congrats to your daughter on learning the A major! I think that's my favorite of the Mozart violin concerti. I've been working on the Symphonia Concertante lately - listening to it always makes me happy.

We live far from all other Suzuki activity, so I teach my own kids. My daughter is working on Oh Come Little Children, but she really likes to practice trills, glissandi, and ricochet bowings. My son has decided that he wants to learn the rest of Book 2 before the end of the year. He keeps asking me if learning vibrato is really necessary. He would feel better about learning vibrato if it could just be easier.
#388 of 459 Old 10-19-2010, 02:44 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Welcome, Elizabeth!

My story is similar to yours: raised a Suzuki violin kid, became a Suzuki parent and Suzuki teacher, now have my own Suzuki brood. Fiona (7) is finishing the Vivaldi g minor, Noah (14) is finishing viola Book 8, Sophie (11) is starting violin Book 8, Erin (16) is doing a set of full-length recitals in November, and looking forward to a career in performance, for better or worse. She's off tomorrow on a trip across the country scouting out potential teachers at universities.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#389 of 459 Old 10-20-2010, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies! It's always so interesting to hear of people with similar stories!

Thanks ebethmom! Elisabeth has been looking forward to getting to the Mozart concerti for well over a year. She ploughed threw book 8 in her enthusasim. My personal favourite is the D major. I always love it when one of my students learns it! I love the Symphonia Concertante too.
I'm curious as to how you find teaching your own kids. I didn't think that teaching Grace would be too different from being the "home teacher" I was for my other kids. But I found that without the accountability and outside input practicing wasn't as regular as it should have been and I was always worried about missing things. That said, I enjoyed it for the most part. It was a really great bonding experience for us and I learnt so much. She's doing just fine in her lessons now so I must not have done a terrible job.
Oh, vibrato! I had such as funny experience with Sam and vibrato. Last May his teacher said "I think we should start working on vibrato". To which Sam replied "Oh, I can already do that." and then showed us a lovely vibrato which he was easily able to apply to his pieces. I'd never heard him practicing it and he never used it while playing; but there it was! It was such a different experience from the hours Elisabeth spent working on exercises that drove the rest of us crazy. It took her months to develop anything beyond a shaky wobble; not that you can tell now. I wish your son luck with his vibrato!

Miranda, I see you're from Canada. I'm in Ontario. It looks like Erin's got lots of exciting things on her plate! I hope she's having a great time on her trip. What universities are she considering?

Kristina

~Kristina~
Earth loving, unschooling mama to Elisabeth (12), Sam (8), and Grace (5).
#390 of 459 Old 10-21-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Dealing with a request to change teachers....

My daughter (recently turned 7) has been with the same teacher for 4 years and for the past month or so she's been sighing when I bring up her lessons. When I ask her about her response she says, "It's boring. She talks so much and I don't get very much done."

I should tell you that we all *adore* this teacher. She is so positive. So caring and kind. So very encouraging to youngsters. She has a way with the little ones. I do feel that at we reach the end of book 3 we may have reached the edge of her comfort zone and experience. But she's very much interested in pushing herself to stay on top of things and works hard to do this. She does talk quite a bit during lesson - and I think it'd be hard for her to quell this. She's a very *brainy* teacher and player. She thinks a lot while she plays, if you know what I mean. Sometimes when I notice she's losing my daughter's interest I can't help but think about what I've heard from Ed Sprunger: talk less.

I'm trying to figure out if this might be an ebb/flow cycle that's worth weathering, or if it's really time for a change. Anyone else have any experience with this kind of lull?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page