Expat mama tribe?? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 129 Old 06-17-2009, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hollyvangogh- we don't either, unless you count my FIL calling every 2 weeks or 3 weeks to ask us to help him do something.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#62 of 129 Old 06-19-2009, 05:32 PM

No real support system over here either, but then when we lived in the States, we were also very far from family. One day I would like to live at least a couple hours away from family rather than a plane ride away! I do talk to my mom on the phone daily, but that is about it. I long for the day to be able to have one of the grandparents watch DD for a date night for DH and myself!

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#63 of 129 Old 06-25-2009, 06:47 AM

I'm an English expat currently living in Spain. We've lived here for just over 2 years and wouldn't move back at all.

For people who want to learn the languages pimsleur is an excellent all talk course, just listen to the cds or put them on an MP3 player, other half is currently doing the spanish one and I'm working on 2 other languages. Other than that there's the FSI courses available free to download from the internet. Google for FSI free download. In the forum there's links to another site also collecting courses, I think the link is under the member contributions or somewhere around.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for boys names which work in both Spanish and English, I'm sort of liking Alejandro and Daniel at the moment, just a little concerned the male diminutive of Alejandro will sound a bit like the female diminutive of Alexendra.

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

#64 of 129 Old 06-25-2009, 01:54 PM

I'm and ex- ex-pat thinking about returning to Japan with kid and husband in tow. I'll definitely be following this tribe for tips and ifo about raising a young child abroad.
#65 of 129 Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 AM

I used pimsleur also and recommend it!

#66 of 129 Old 06-29-2009, 06:44 AM

Hey all,

I'm a Canadian who has been living in Hong Kong for 1.5 years with my partner. We are going to TTC come August this year.
#67 of 129 Old 06-29-2009, 03:00 PM

prone_to_wander- welcome!!

#68 of 129 Old 06-30-2009, 03:55 AM

I was just wondering of anyone has had a homebirth in Hong Kong? I would really prefer to stay at home but all of the research I've done (many many hours) and I've found one midwife who might/maybe/possibly/if she is even still in the country do it but I'd like to find someone who has gone through it.
#69 of 129 Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 AM

American in Israel. Shalom/Hello.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#70 of 129 Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 AM

hey jul511riv- welcome!

#71 of 129 Old 08-22-2009, 10:55 AM

What a quiet thread! Im bumping to see if there's any new expats out there or if any old ones want to chat...

Im american but lived in the UK for 10.5 years (I CANNOT believe its been that long!!!)

I live in the southwest of England but had lived up north (manchester) for 5 years, only moved to this beautiful part of the country a year ago... again I cant believe we've been down here that long.

So how's everyone else doing? How have you found living abroad? How has it shaped who you are and your out look on life (if at all)?

#72 of 129 Old 08-22-2009, 11:29 AM

genifer- hi! lately I have just been trying to figure out the bureaucracies of birth here.

Most OBGYNs who you see for your pregnancy in this country don't do
your deliveries and if I want the birth center route, I have to change to an OBGYN
who is registered with the center as a doctor assuming I don't just want to take whoe ever is on call that day.. this isn't too hard, they
have a list of about 20 in town who will do deliveries and monitoring
there but its sort of just one more then you don't want to have to
think about going into your third trimester and it cost money to keep the same doctor for the pregnancy and birth .. :/

No one explains or even asked me what kind of birth I wanted, I guess it was assumed since 98% of people deliver at the main hospital, I would go there to. . .

And the birth centers
are private in in my town, which means, if I want to go there, I have
to pay for it. The great thing is they charge a flat fee after insurance coverage, (3,000), which covers everything- if I need it, c-section, drugs etc. the price
doesn't change. Sadly with plans to have a natural birth, it feels
like a lot, but I am also spending 5 days there after (again required by law) and they have midwifes who will come to your home after that if you need help. So I
am trying to look at the big package

I am really just nervous about giving birth in a country I am not fluent in the language yet and wish there were more english speaking doctors/nurses/midwifes in this town so I didn't have to rely totally on my husband if I dont understand something.

#73 of 129 Old 08-23-2009, 07:22 AM

teeg1973: In some cities in Germany there are German-American clubs / offices where you might get some support - I remember the "Deutsch-amerikanisches Buergerbuero" in Kaiserslautern.
Depending on where you live you could also try with the head of English classes at a university.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#74 of 129 Old 08-23-2009, 04:46 PM

yep, I'm back to birthing in this country (already had one here) and getting that all in order. Like anything else in Israel, it is a beaurcracy, but it will work out, G-d Willing. In the meanwhile, I'm trying to decide...ultrasound or not...

#75 of 129 Old 08-24-2009, 10:51 AM

This is my first blog response- so just learning "how to." I remember telling my parents, "don't worry, the Peace Corps is only for two years!"...now I have been overseas for thirty years and raised my kids in the UK. I would love to share experiences of long-term overseas living...if you don't mind an almost-grandma joining in the discussion!
#76 of 129 Old 08-25-2009, 07:12 AM

I'd LOVE for an almost granny to be part of the discussion. I think we could all learn an awful lot from you and get some perspective and insight that our generation is notorious for sorely lacking.

#77 of 129 Old 08-25-2009, 07:46 AM

Welcome, FloridaSurreyMomma!
Maybe this is some kind of virus - once you caught it, you've got it?

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#78 of 129 Old 08-25-2009, 09:53 AM

Count me in! I was borned in Eastern Europe, lived in US for many years and now we're in Belgium indefinately. It's nice to be somewhat closer to family than before but still it's a bit lonely, not a lot of friends yet.
#79 of 129 Old 08-25-2009, 12:55 PM

Im an American mommie...raising my children in Mexico....been here for almost 2 years....on and off....having some difficult times...i dont speak much spanish...and feel isolated most days.
I think i will check into that website for learning spanish...sounds great.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#80 of 129 Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 PM

i'm a canadian mama to 2 little guys, recently moved to a jungly beach town in argentina. i'm still figuring things out - the mama thing, the sahm thing, the jungle & small town thing... life is good, but lonely and wierd too. i just started blogging about it (link is in my profile).

i'd be especially interested to hear from any of you that have gotten involved in local social movements, your kids' schools, community groups etc. how do you deal with 'outsider' issues? how do you find the right spaces, take the first steps?

cheers!
#81 of 129 Old 09-22-2009, 01:11 PM

welcome macondo mama!

I moved to Austria last year and live in a small very closed community. I found the best and quickest way for me to deal with outsider issues was by taking language classes (where I met other english speakers) as well as find expat/meetup groups within driving distance. I am still working on it but have made a few local friends since moving here, but to be honest, the internet is my lifeline and I would be homesick/friendsick without it..

#82 of 129 Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Banned

we sent off our paperwork for new zealand today! so, we should know soon what their processing estimate is, and then get rolling on a new life in another country! wow!
#83 of 129 Old 09-23-2009, 03:55 AM

I was wondering if any of you are US citizens living abroad who have had to do the consulate birth certificate applications as well as US passport applications yet for your children?

I was just wondering if we would need to do all of this before visiting my family in the US or if we can apply for it later. We are undecided about US citizenship for the babe yet but didn't know if we had to make the decision or risk being turned away at the boarder.

#84 of 129 Old 09-24-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by east carolina View Post
Hello!

I consider myself an expat since I'm a US citizen living abroad, but I'm bicultural/bilingual and am now living in my other culture's homeland. I'm in Prague, Czech Republic..
Hi! I was just researching a trip to prague! I am living in Germany, about two hours from you and was hoping to get over there at Thanksgiving or after Christmas. It's overwhelming how much to do there. Do you mind if I have any questions, to ask you?

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#85 of 129 Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

it happened.

my friend gave birth in NZ twice, and both times had to get the certificates through the consulate ASAP and had to get the passports before leaving NZ.

i don't know if that helps or answers your question, but there it is.
#86 of 129 Old 12-27-2009, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do you have room for one more?

Canadian expat living in Australia. We've been here 4 months now. Just had our first official Christmas here with the vast majority of our families 15 time zones away from us. My DH has one sister here who has been living in Australia for 13 years. We see her on weekends usually. But all the rest of the aunties, uncles, and both grandmas were left in Canada.

The kids seem to have adjusted fine. Our little guy obviously doesn't know much different. My daughter (who's 5) missed Canada and all her familiar things for a while...favorite places, foods, people. But she's settled pretty well, made new friends at school, has gone to a few birthday parties, and loves going to the beach and spending time outdoors. More than we did back home.

My husband has been working since just after we arrived. He had a job waiting for him. I'm still a SAHM for now but hope to find some p/t consulting in my field down the road.

Most days are pretty good here. We chat online, on the phone, on skype etc. with the family back home. Sure, I miss everyone and the little things (eg foods you can't get here etc.) but overall I'm content for the most part. But a big ol' wave of homesickness can still hit unexpectedly and that's part of the process I suppose.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#87 of 129 Old 12-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Of course, always room for one more ex-pat! I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd join back in since there is some new interest.

We use skype a lot, just talked to my family on Christmas Eve (x-mas day here) & watched my niece open some of her gifts. It's nice to be a part of my family celebrations again, even if it is a remote relationship.

As far as support systems in my adopted country go, well... I have a few friends I can count on when the shit hits the fan, my DH's family is two days drive away, & my family is two-three days by plane (not that they are particularly good in a crisis). So mostly it's a case of 'suck it up, sunshine, & get on with the issue at hand' when it comes to my support system.

I like to think of it as character building, especially after a decade or so....

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#88 of 129 Old 12-29-2009, 08:54 PM

count me in.

I've been posting on the other thread in the Multiculti forum, but now I know this one is here I will check it more often.

I'm a Kiwi, now living in Canada with Canadian OH and DD. I mostly love it but I still have days of intense homesickness every now and again. I have been here nearly 8 years.
#89 of 129 Old 02-04-2010, 03:10 AM

Hello all, thought I'd introduce myself

I'm a British expat who's been living in the USA for 5+ years, married to a Kiwi - well and truly an expat family!

I wondered for a while whether there was an expat tribe - nice to meet you all. I've been really homesick for a few years, went home at Christmas and was quite depressed for several weeks after we got back here but DH doesn't want to go back to the UK and I don't want to go to NZ so we are here in limbo in Seattle until we can figure out what we want to do long-term. The decision is made harder (or easier?) by the fact that we don't have green cards (here on a work visa - can't get a GC as DH owns part of his company, don't get me started on immigration law LOL) so long-term plans are really hard to make

Nice to meet you!

Widowed mummy to T 6/08 and a crazy blue dog

#90 of 129 Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
here on a work visa - can't get a GC as DH owns part of his company, don't get me started on immigration law LOL
yeah I hear you, thats 90% of the reason we're living in the EU rather then US at the moment. getting my DH visa there was going to be a saga. ...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page