NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part 4 - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 2423 Old 10-26-2008, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
Biting: What do you do when your DC bites while nursing? I've tried pushing her into me, but then she just bites harder (tho that did work when she was younger). I've tried popping her off with my pinky finger. Tried both latching right back on *and* sitting her up and waiting a few minutes before trying again, but the biting continues. Ow.
I would unlatch her, say "no biting" and then put her down out of my arms. It was the only thing that worked. I felt bad putting her down, but it was only for a minute or two. Then I would pick her back up and offer to nurse. Usually that would stop it, at least for the time being. She has not bitten in a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
ç

ditto. my mom would take it as a huge assault on how she raised us, which is to say, so not alfie kohn. i think becoming the parent you want to be might work better, accept it does not totally endorse cosleeping which is perhaps my mother´s biggest bugaboo with us. in my heart of hearts i believe that dd will understand that different people work different ways and, absent abuse, exposure to those differently styles will be part of her emotional education. at bottom i think what we as parents do with her is infinitely more important, and will make her resilient enough that other stuff will just roll right off. maela, i sort of think that your fam stuff is more your issue than dd´s, just a thought.
Bolding mine.
I sure hope so. And I know that the situation could be so much worse. Today I realized that there are a couple of things that my mom has not bugged me about more than once (and that was before the birth). They are: bfing past a year and cosleeping. I know she disagrees with both, especially the cosleeping. So I should remember to be grateful about that.

Glad you're having fun in Mexico!!

I am really really wanting another baby right now. We dtd without protection this week for the first time since Dd was born. I don't think anything will come of it; it wasn't really to start TTC, just laziness, and not really worrying if it does happen. We're really set on only having babies between April and August though (for various reasons), so it's sad to know that soon we need to start being careful to use protection always for the next seven or so months. But I'm feeling very ready to TTC again. July seems so far away. I never thought i would be so ready to TTC again so soon. I did not love the first year. But now I'm really liking this age, and I want more of these cute little things!

Also, I finally bought a new battery for my thermometer, so I'm charting again! Yay! Nothing exciting yet though, still no AF. It's just fun to be charting again.
What a dork.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#422 of 2423 Old 10-26-2008, 03:35 AM

Just finished Misconceptions and I'm feeling very negative about impending motherhood now. That book is a serious downer. I really hope I'm not aspirationally naive about birth and parenthood.

I think I'm just in a temporary bad place because my pelvis feels like it's breaking in two, and I haven't been able to get off the couch for 2 days.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#423 of 2423 Old 10-26-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
how the heck did you sell her on that
I didn't, exactly. She knows I throw her stuff out, she just doesn't know what and when. It hasn't gotten me into too much trouble...YET!

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#424 of 2423 Old 10-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Banned

it is true; i could use more support. ryan is continuing to drive me nuts with complaints about his schedule and "needs." yesterday and last night were particularly nasty, and he became very angry with me when i finally left the situation. that is, while arguing (and it's the same argument from him every time for the last 3-4 weeks), i simply leave the house and go for a walk (with hawk). and while sleeping, i decided to just sleep in another room because i couldn't just be awake nursing for hours on end with ryan snoring away next to me.

for whatever reason, his sleeping doesn't bother me so much as the snoring does. it's like rubbing it in my face or something.

---

after talking to my ILs, they agreed to read the book and workshop it with us. we're also going to send copies to our sister's. we'll workshop those around christmas (i figure a reiteration would be good).

now, my parents basically did what alfie talks about, so they likely won't be offended (though i think my dad will be offended by some things). but, i am sure my ILs are going to be very upset by the first 7 or so chapters at least! but, they are at least willing to read the book and workshop it with us at thanksgiving.

i think that the approach is what made it possible. we worked to develop how to approach his parents about it and came up with a method by which it was as if we're all learning about this together so that there is consistency in how hawk is treated with everyone.

this way, they see it as we're learning, my parents are learning, and so are they. not as in "you are freaks and need to learn or i'm out of here." which is totally how i feel.

i could use more sleep. and more help. but, i'm getting by.
#425 of 2423 Old 10-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned

oh, and i don't think that you are naive about parenthood or birth. i don't think that anyone who hangs around here and works hard at this stuff really can be.

it's true that you don't know what it's going to be for you--that there are great unknowns--but most of us are ready to take on whatever comes. that to me is as prepared as one can be, and it sets you up to be a very successful and happy parent.

there are things in my parenting life that i could not have foreseen--such as ryan's continually negative behavior right now. i expected more support from him, and i haven't gotten what i expected or even what i basically need. bringing it up, we usually end up in a fight where he complains about his needs not being met, etc, and completely disregards how our lives have changed (for the better!) because of hawk.

and, that's hard on me.

but i don't think that i was somehow naive, and i really hated the insinuations from parents before hawk was born that i was naive or that i simply "had no idea." the truth is that i did have an idea--but there were a lot of unknowns.

and it's ok for there to be unknowns. it doesn't make one naive. you already know that birth and parenting are going to change everything, and you know that you can handle it!
#426 of 2423 Old 10-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Banned

and, i agree that what we do is far more important than what anyone else would do, but i personally want to bear-attack people who are as ILs are around the baby. if i can find some way to help their behavior change without having to bear-attack them, then all the better.

seriously, it is about me feeling better, not necessarily about making them better--though i hope it helps.
#427 of 2423 Old 10-26-2008, 02:33 PM

MMM -

ZB, I hope you find a way to get some more support soon. Things will get better. I also sometime find myself feeling resentful that I'm the one that has to nurse Dd throughout the night (and always ). It can be frustrating and very tiring sometimes. Then I try to remember how on the other hand, I'm so lucky to be the only one to nurse her. It's a special bond.

#428 of 2423 Old 10-26-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
i end the nursing session and pass her off to dh who has a bottle of ebm. i am not okay with denying her food when hungry and i want to honor the impulse to bite (happens only when teething) so i am happy to redirect that toward an artificial nipple that she can bite. have had to do this like twice. it helps that she will take the bottle but prefers me.
I like that idea. DD is becoming so drooly--we're wondering if she'll teeth early.

and i hear ya'll on the support issue. because rhea is having a growth spurt, she was a lot more wakeful for booby last night than usual. So I didn't sleep as much as I usually do. I asked DH if he could take Rhea for the morning and let me sleep. She had a bottle of ebm available if hungry. And I feel so much more rested now. It's a rare treat, but I'll take it.

And I'm finally starting a freezer stash. DH is so worried that if I can't be home to feed her for some reason, he keeps the free formula in the house. But I want it out (except for the organic similac--I'm amused by the idea of making milkshakes with it for me to pass along the vitamins to DD).

Come ponder with me about food!
#429 of 2423 Old 10-26-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maela View Post
I would unlatch her, say "no biting" and then put her down out of my arms. It was the only thing that worked. I felt bad putting her down, but it was only for a minute or two. Then I would pick her back up and offer to nurse. Usually that would stop it, at least for the time being. She has not bitten in a long time.
Okay, I will try that. I have enough trouble pumping right now (just can't get my milk to let down) that the EBM/nipple technique isn't a good option. Nips hurt hurt hurt now.

Quote:
I am really really wanting another baby right now. We dtd without protection this week for the first time since Dd was born. I don't think anything will come of it; it wasn't really to start TTC, just laziness, and not really worrying if it does happen. We're really set on only having babies between April and August though (for various reasons), so it's sad to know that soon we need to start being careful to use protection always for the next seven or so months. But I'm feeling very ready to TTC again. July seems so far away. I never thought i would be so ready to TTC again so soon. I did not love the first year. But now I'm really liking this age, and I want more of these cute little things!
How exciting! : It's nice to see you come around to it again because I am also not loving the first year. There are things I love about it, but on the whole, not so much. :

MMM, I'm sorry you're hurting! Your body is working hard right now putting the finishing touches on that little babe, but that doesn't make the pain any less.

PiePie, I'm sorry you're not getting more support right now. I remember we fought more in those first few weeks. It will get better as everyone settles into a new life together.

witchygrrl, love the idea to make a formula smoothie! haha!

Me update: Abby's on only her SECOND nap of the day, when she's usually had FOUR naps by now. Argh.

Also, she's getting 2 top teeth in and is using the bottom teeth to cut into her top gums, and so she's bleeding a lot from her top gums. Now there's a scab on top but I don't think it will last long. Poor baby.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#430 of 2423 Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 AM

Poor Abby!

We only had 1 wet diaper today! Everything else was in the toilet!

#431 of 2423 Old 10-27-2008, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Did you guys do any pain meds for teething? We are very anti-meds here but it seems inhumane to make her suffer this much pain.

She has a teething necklace, but still just in a lot of pain.

#432 of 2423 Old 10-27-2008, 10:37 AM

Snozz, how about ice in a washcloth, with a rubber band to hold the ice in? she can suck on that, which should help bring some swelling down, I would think.

Also, I have Little Teethers by Little Remedies--the drug is benzocaine, but it doesn't have any weird ingredients like saccharine, which is why I'm keeping it in the house. Haven't had to use it yet, though...

#433 of 2423 Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 AM

Oh, and I met my college roommate's baby for the first time--she's 6 weeks old! Her birth sounded like my nightmare though--her mother just went into the hospital after her water broke but didn't have any contrax, so she was put on pitocin within two hours. The pit did almost nothing for hours until WHAM! Then she went for the epidural, which hurt to get, and caused her blood pressure to drop very low. The only good thing of this was that it allowed her to sleep some before pushing, and then they let it wear off, so she could tell what she was doing during pushing. Then after two hours of pushing, baby was vaccuum extracted! Then mom got a dose of pit after! Yikes!

My friend was saying that she wished someone would have told her these side effects before she went in there, but she did no research on her own, didn't take classes, and so kept getting surprised by things. This from a woman with a BIO degree! I mean, if I had needed interventions, I knew what they were, what the potential side effects would have been, and I had a doula with me to help clear my mind and think about these things, if necessary. I'm not saying I didn't get surprised by what happened along the way, but that's more how my individual body works more than anything.

So I asked her if she had another baby, would she birth again this way? She said yeah, probably.

MMM, you're doing fine, honey. You're much better prepared, believe me. I just hope that you'll feel better soon.

And woot! Maela, that's great!!

#434 of 2423 Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM

No meds for the teething pain. I don't think it was ever that bad for Dd. I did give her wet washclothes to chew on, and she liked that.

Witchy, that's sad about your friend. It's sad that we can't trust OBs to inform us. Even if i hadn't done any research, i know I would have learned a lot from my mw. The prenatal appointments were an hour or two long. But with OBs it's in and out, and no info until they want to intervene and by then it's "too late."

#435 of 2423 Old 10-27-2008, 12:22 PM

Yeah, I think her paramedic husband told her more than her OB. And oh yeah, I forgot about the episiotomy that they didn't tell her they gave her! : I'm sorry, if someone's going to cut my vagina and perineum, you had better ASK ME first!

Of course, if my DH was a paramedic, I would have been more inclined to just UC

Oh, pics are now in my siggy!

#436 of 2423 Old 10-27-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
i am indeed in mex.
Quote:
ç
Aha! So that's how you accidentally typed that character.

ok, back to reading and mentally replying to posts....

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#437 of 2423 Old 10-27-2008, 05:47 PM

Kelly, we use Hylands teething tablets (homeopathic) occasionally. I also took a free sample of infants Tylenol the last time we were at our ped’s. Haven’t used it yet, but decided I wouldn’t be against it if it got bad enough. The thing that seems to work best, similar to what witchy mentioned – is an ice cube in a sock. She can hold it and suck on it, usually devours it – at least when it’s frozen EBM. She likes it better than any food so far.

have much more to say - be back later!

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#438 of 2423 Old 10-28-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

We will have to try the sock trick! Brilliant. I thought I heard something bad about Hyland's...was that just a rumor maybe? Never can trust mainstream "facts" about that stuff...

Nanny update: We found one! She came over for a couple hours to play with Abby today, and it went well. She worked up to holding Abby, and she was okay for a few seconds--at least as long as she'll let our friends hold her.

#439 of 2423 Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 PM

Witchy I can't see your pictures. Is anyone else having this problem?

#440 of 2423 Old 10-29-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Witchy I can't see your pictures. Is anyone else having this problem?
The link just posted funny.

Delete the first http and you should be fine.

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#441 of 2423 Old 10-29-2008, 11:06 AM

whoops, all fixed. funny, it worked the first time I tried it.

#442 of 2423 Old 10-29-2008, 11:38 AM

She's so cute! Already looking so much older than her newborn photos. She looks very wise IMO.

#443 of 2423 Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Aw, what a little cutie pie! And so much hair! I'm jealous.

#444 of 2423 Old 10-30-2008, 09:46 AM

thanks she is a total cutie pie.

her hair, it seems, is exactly like mine. A ton of it, but very fine anf flyaway. same color, too. any idea when the transition from her baby hair might begin?

#445 of 2423 Old 10-30-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
Did you guys do any pain meds for teething? We are very anti-meds here but it seems inhumane to make her suffer this much pain.

She has a teething necklace, but still just in a lot of pain.
We used Humphry's teething pellets and they work well for Kai. Poor Abby sounds like she's having some extreme teething though. Kai only had two days that the pellets didn't help the pain and he had a fever too so we gave him baby Tylenol but there's a new study now that having Tylenol just once or twice before 1yr really increases the chance of babies developing asthma. I guess I'm not much help. Sorry about that. I hope the little lady feels better soon!

And I didn't really like the first year much either. Well, it was fun once Kai hit 8 months or so but before that it was really trying.

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#446 of 2423 Old 11-01-2008, 06:39 PM

A Halloween picture

Maev was a butterfly.

#447 of 2423 Old 11-01-2008, 08:40 PM

Oh my goodness, adorableness abounds! Love the costumes, all of you!

#448 of 2423 Old 11-01-2008, 11:07 PM

#449 of 2423 Old 11-02-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
Oh my goodness, adorableness abounds! Love the costumes, all of you!
Thank you! Dh did both his and my make up. He won best teacher costume at his school!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
So cute! I love his hair! It's beautiful!

#450 of 2423 Old 11-03-2008, 03:25 PM

I love the pictures! Quinn looks like such a big kid. I haven't seen a picture of him in a while and it was just shocking!

Kai actually fit into the duckie outfit he wore at his first Halloween but we didn't charge the camera. He "helped" me pass out cider and cookies at our Co-Op during our town's "Fright Night" so I know a lot of people snapped his picture. I'll have to hunt them down.

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page