NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part 4 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 2423 Old 09-10-2008, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zoe, did you post your birth story? i have to get back through the pages i missed...

toys...i could buy so many, but i get so tired of picking them up!
plus, the ones i like best are not my girl's favorite (she's still packing around a bald little doll with a plastic homemade dress that my friend's 3 yo gave her for her b-day). so i'm doing my best to curtail the spending.

one of my friends is pg again, another is talking about #2, and it's getting me thinking. we would have to dramatically restructure our business to make it work, though. i have NO time for anything in the summer.

thanks!

Busy mama of
#182 of 2423 Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM

Steph, that’s so funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
i know it has an older age range, but dd loved these http://www.amazon.com/Sylvia-Longs-M...1007937&sr=8-1 from as soon as she could sit up. i got them in the bargain section of borders for 4.99. i lust for this http://www.amazon.com/Haba-902-Disco...f=pd_sbs_ba_17 for dd for christmas this year but let's be real, the price is nutsy. my parents got dd this http://www.amazon.com/Parents-Busy-Z...1008152&sr=1-1 for her 1st bday, 2 mos. early, and she plays with it EVERY SINGLE DAY. it is available at target. and for the younger set, don't forget balls and puppets... i also lust for this shape sorter http://www.amazon.com/Plan-Toy-Shape...1008495&sr=1-1 and will probably get that.

eta: i have a melissa and doug puzzle but i am not in love with where the screws are. if i were doing it over i would get puzzibilities/small world toys/ryans room; it was just that m&d is more readily available.

eta: on musical instruments, i like those by remo aka lynn kleiner and woodstock percussion. but it is hard to find ones that are baby-safe. i ordered dd a set from a place called miscellaneous supplies. it contains plastic but the sound quality is high, better than some of the pure wood stuff. i've tested lots at various music classes. cking, some are available at kazams in princeton in palmer sq.
Piepie,
Yes, we got nesting blocks similar to that for our friend’s 2yo’s birthday, but I think J would like them too. She certainly would like to chew on them (can’t keep her away from books, cardboard, wood, magazines, etc!)

I love that busy-box too. It seems like J might like that now too even though she’s probably young for it. She’d love to spin the blocks. I really want more things that she can use while sitting. There was an inflatable globe (beach ball) at the LLL meeting last night and she loved it!

And I absolutely heart Jazams!

Ok, speaking of music…..J got to check out the piano at my sister’s house and she was having a ball banging on the keys. Acutally, she sounded pretty good. Lol. So, I can’t wait to get her a toy piano. She loved banging her hands on the table, so I got out a set of bongos that I never use, and she is having fun playing with those too. (but she does want to chew on the skins) We are going to take a music together class starting next week, so I’m psyched for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
at PiePie's toy fun time!!!

Anyone read Confessions of a Naughty Mommy: How I Found My Lost Libido? I was skeptical, but I'm 40 pages in and LOVING it. The author's description of Sex Life After Baby is spot on, imho. At least so far...and it's funny as hell too!

And now to go spend too much time on Oompa Toys when I should be sleeping...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shanna~ View Post
OMG, I need to read this. I so need to find mine
I so need to read this too. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
Such cool toys to look forward to...

I'm still thinking DD has issues with spitting up--she's very gassy (honestly Dh and I are too these days), and I've noticed that sometimes she starts choking on my milk...I think my letdown might be too fast for her. So between the two, she spits up quite a bit, although it's much less at night, especially if we do side-lying. But of course, after I said she's not screaming at the boob, what does she do? Not consistently, but it was heartbreaking

So we need to examine diet. We do eat a lot of fiber and dairy. Perhaps it's time to cut down. And I need to look at how to deal with fast letdown. It was all seeming so easy a week or so ago. Silly me.

On a related topic, my great aunt, who usually seems so progressive and cool, asked if my doc had talked about solids for DD yet...um, she's not even 6 weeks old yet?!? Apparently even though she breastfed her 5 children, she gave them rice cereal at night so they'd sleep through starting when they were only a few weeks old. Yikes! 4 out of 5 have food sensitivity issues/allergies that I know about...I can only think this practice did NOT help in any way.
That's so sad about the solid's. Our neighbor's first ped was suggesting they add rice cereal to her bottle of EBM at 2 weeks old. They dropped her quick, thank goodness. But that was supposed to help her gain weight quicker. :

I had some problems with fast letdown too. Some suggestions were to try nursing 'down under' with you lying back, and the football hold with you lying back as well. And I think they also suggested coming off the breast when letdown happens and waiting until it slows down a bit to come back. DD still pulls off just before letdown occasionally, and of course milk goes flying everywhere. I now keep a diaper under us whenever we are side-lying.

and fwiw, we went through an extra-gassy phase around that age. I think she didn't really throw up until she was 5 weeks, and then it seemed to happen much more often after that. But it slowed down as she got a little bigger.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#183 of 2423 Old 09-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Speaking of chewing on things, does anyone have ideas for teethers for a non-solids-eating/tooth-having baby? DD seems to really want to bite into stuff now. We have some wood teethers, but of course she prefers books and fingers. I give her a bm-icecube-in-a-sock every now and then, and I noticed she's starting to bite and pull on it with her new teeth.

#184 of 2423 Old 09-10-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:

So that means I want to buy Abby some good toys ourselves. Although, just heard today Haba is recalling a bunch of their rattles/rings for choking hazard. Wasn't a surprise to me since Abby just about choked on the problem part on her Haba ring last week. Luckily, she was able to swallow it--saw it come out the other end--but it was a SCARY minute where I picked her up, turned her upside down, and banged on her back, wishing I remembered the exact choking maneuver for babies. (I re-reviewed the manual right after we had both calmed down after that incident!)
Oh no! Glad she's ok. Which toy was this? I remember from your FB pictures that we have some of the same toys.

eta: nm, I found the post about it.

#185 of 2423 Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
Speaking of chewing on things, does anyone have ideas for teethers for a non-solids-eating/tooth-having baby? DD seems to really want to bite into stuff now. We have some wood teethers, but of course she prefers books and fingers. I give her a bm-icecube-in-a-sock every now and then, and I noticed she's starting to bite and pull on it with her new teeth.
Freeze a corn cob that has the corn bit off? Or even not frozen......Only good for a couple more weeks though......

Sleep is for wimps, and I really hope to wimp out tonight
#186 of 2423 Old 09-11-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i'm finding myself feeling very amorous right now, but my body isn't ready at all. it's a tough spot! LOL

baby is doing well. we made our first trip out today that wasn't doctor/whatever related. we went to target to get another nipple shield and a box for them--even though he's now on the nipple itself about 1/3 of the time, so we are improving and i may not need the shield for long. we also went to the grocery store and a craft store to get some ink and paper to do hands/feet for everyone.

he has such long feet!

how is your body feeling, zoe? at this point i pretty much feel like myself, though still a bit larger than i used to be. I checked out the postnatal yoga workout on the dvd I used throughout my pregnancy and wow, I'm in for it. definitely something to work up to. i plan on starting next week.

rhea did much better today...a couple doses of gripe water definitely helped the gas.

Come ponder with me about food!
#187 of 2423 Old 09-11-2008, 03:36 AM

i've missed SO much. I was out of the state and had some family things to do.

Congrats Zoe!!! SO Exciting.

Teething: no real help as DS didn't really indicate he needed anything. We did freeze those plastic water filled rings, but I didn't like to use them 'cause they smelled SO bad, even after I washed 'em and tried to let them air out.

Toys: right now Teo is all about balls, cars, motorcycles and train. Especially if he can attach them (magnents on the trains) It is SO cute, he'll lay down on his stomach on the floor to play with the cars and such. Gotta love it.
He also REALLY loves his Vacuum (he found it at Goodwill and wouldnt' let go), Tricycle, bead maze, and wooden pull-behind caterpiller.
I know he'd love something he can push/pull like a wagon or cart or something like that, but we don't have room. He'd also really LOVE a kitchen. I think he'd LOVE a balance bike. (he LOVES for me to push him around on the 'big' kids' bikes -yes, he has to wear his helmet, even on his low-rider trike-.

I do have an Amazon wish-list for him. I try to keep it updated for what he's up to at the moment, or something he'll be needing in the future. Teo's Wish List Keep in mind that I just go through and click... my retail therapy. I don't know if family/friends have even know about it, much less buy off it. It might sometimes seem excessive concerning 1 kind of item, ie: lots of trains, I don't do a lot of editing, just wishing.
#188 of 2423 Old 09-11-2008, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
Abby LOVES cloth teethers. Her two faves are the frog teether from Under the Nile and one of those ghost-looking things like this. She also loves the green beans and the carrot from the Under the Nile veggie crate.

eta: we'll also get the cloth teethers wet and put them in the freezer for a bit, and that helps a lot.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#189 of 2423 Old 09-11-2008, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Oops, I forgot I had a question for y'all!

We're taking Abby to her first wedding in October, and I'd like to splurge on a super cute dress for her. Preferably organic. Do you know of any good organic clothes retailers that have cute dresses?

Also, is there such thing as an organic Halloween costume?

#190 of 2423 Old 09-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Banned

i did post the birth story in birth stories. it's not complete because there is so much i cannot describe--it was such a deeply spiritual experience and how do you describe that. i guess it was an ecstatic birth!

organic dresses...kate something. . .i'll look it up see if i find it. . .

body is actually feeling good. i feel larger than before, of course, but it's only 12 days out now. (oh, and hawk has regained ALL of his weight back, even though the doc didn't think it possible!)

anyway, i'm already doing most of the abdominal exercises that i normally do (and did during pregnancy), and i feel it coming together. the skin is still loose, but i'm in most of my old clothes (the 6s for certain, the 4s are a bit tight).

i hope to be back to size by hawk's blessing (oct 12), but it may be well before then anyway.

and my legs and arms are certainly leaner. but i feel good "down there" and bleeding stopped (turned yellow) on day 7, and is slowing too.

so, it's all good here. ice packs still feel nice though.
#191 of 2423 Old 09-11-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post
I do have an Amazon wish-list for him. I try to keep it updated for what he's up to at the moment, or something he'll be needing in the future. Teo's Wish List Keep in mind that I just go through and click... my retail therapy. I don't know if family/friends have even know about it, much less buy off it. It might sometimes seem excessive concerning 1 kind of item, ie: lots of trains, I don't do a lot of editing, just wishing.
same here
#192 of 2423 Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
one of those ghost-looking things like this.
my mom got dd one similar to that and it didn't get much use as a teether. she preferred board books and cold washcloths and now sippy cups. what she really wants is to chew on frozen bags of milk but that is such a huge no. her top 2 teeth poked through on sunday.
#193 of 2423 Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
another push toy http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Cl...1012783&sr=8-3 perhaps i should quit the law and become a personal shopper...
I love this one!

Teething: Maev loved chewing on wet baby washcloths.

Dd has been going to bed later and later. 8 o'clock is out of the question now. 9 o'clock, maybe, if we're lucky. There goes the parents' alone time. I probably shouldn't be letting her sleep in right now, but I didn't get any time to myself last night. *whine*

Off to find ZB's birth story...

Then wake baby up.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#194 of 2423 Old 09-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Kate Quinn Organics Dresses

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#195 of 2423 Old 09-11-2008, 01:32 PM

Farmama - How is the farm doing this year? It seems it was a rough year for most farmers due to the slower than normal warming of the weather. Is your farm back up and running as usual after the flood? Are you back in your house now? I stopped at the Olympia Farmers Market and picked up some of your wonderful chard and raspberries. :

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#196 of 2423 Old 09-11-2008, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Not sure if it's fancy enough for a wedding, but Happy Green Bee also sells organic dresses.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#197 of 2423 Old 09-11-2008, 09:58 PM

steph, just noticed your sr title. love it.
#198 of 2423 Old 09-12-2008, 05:10 PM

Rhea will also be at a wedding this October...must peruse the dresses on these sites.

#199 of 2423 Old 09-12-2008, 08:26 PM

We just got the internet...unfortunately we also got phone service and DS has discovered how to dial!! EEK!!!!!!!!! Sometime I'll find the time to get online nad post properly and read all I've missed (which is ridiculous amounts of material by now).

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#200 of 2423 Old 09-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Banned

you know, you might consider christening gowns as an option for the wedding dresses. you might consider asking the elders in your family for christening gowns.

my mother just brought the one that my sister and i wore, as well as her own (57 yr old christening gown). my mother's is beautiful, but so fragile. i'm having it box-framed, and hopefully my grandmother (with the help of my aunt) will be able to find a picture of my mother in the dress to be framed with it.

we're using the christening gown that i was in for hawk's blessing (including the bonnet, because i just think that's darn cute on boys--all those frills)--though ryan also wants to ask his mom to see what christening stuff might come up from their side of the family. who knows?

but, if i reject ryan's christening suit for my christening gown (because frills on boys is adorable!), she might get upset, just as how i had him in a little pink outfit in one of the pictures that we sent. it had a cat on it too, that pink outfit. it was so excessively girly--don't you know? LOL anyway, it totally wasn't. it was brown and pink with a cat on it for goodness sakes.

anyway, i ramble. i was thinking that you could probably find some really awesome old dresses in the family stashes somewhere--if you have contact with family. with mom's christening gowns, we also found a number of dresses that she saved that were mine and my sister's--adorable things.

anyway, an idea. perhaps not organic, but recycled.
#201 of 2423 Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 PM

Note on Kate Quinn: Everything we have bought of hers had holes or snaps falling off within a few wears. I refuse to buy another thing! Maybe just our experience, but buyer beware! We have ended up going all Hanna Andersson, much of what is not organic is Oko-Tex 100 certified (free of 100 harmful substances). For the under 2 crowd, you can find everything you need (except outerwear) in organic and/or oko-tex. Check, though, as not all is (some poly, acrylic, etc)

So we now have our third pair of shoes from Soft Star Shoes, and we LOVE them and wanted to share: http://www.softstarshoes.com

That's all I have time for!
#202 of 2423 Old 09-13-2008, 10:49 AM

Makes me wish mine had been preserved...alas, it has not. As for DH, he had a bris, not a christening. Do they even have outfits for those? Maybe I'll ask my MIL about hers...

I think a brown and pink outfit with a cat on it sounds lovely--your ILs are special anyway, zoe. Of course, everyone asks if Rhea is a boy, even if she happens to be wearing pink. Whatever.

Love those shoes, Holitic! And too bad about Kate Quinn..I have one outfit by her--I'll see how it holds up.

#203 of 2423 Old 09-13-2008, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Good suggestion on asking family for clothes, but neither side of our families has kept stuff like that unfortunately. I might also check out some local consignment shops but as you'll see below I'm very tempted to buy something handmade...

Elizabeth, thanks for the heads up about Kate Quinn! I'm off to check out Hanna Andersson after this post...

witchygrrl, people mistake Abby for a boy sometimes too, when she's wearing pink AND her teething necklace.

Vote on your favorite dress!
I spent a lot of time on etsy.com yesterday and found some ones I like. Which one is your favorite?

The wedding will be mid-October and the weather should still be fairly warm, but it's Texas so you never really know! For the short-sleeved ones we can just do a little sweater over them.
Option 1: Pink/white with brown sash
Option 2: Pink/white/brown flowers with pink/white sash
Option 3: Red/blue with peasant shirt

#204 of 2423 Old 09-13-2008, 01:28 PM

:A Belated Welcome To Hawk:

Congrats Zoe, I can't wait to read the birth story (unfortunately it'll have to wait until the little man is asleep)!

Maela: We're in the same boat. Kai has a late bedtime (11 yesterday) and most nights I fall asleep nursing him down and get no grown-up evening time. At least he sleeps in!

And the ILs are here...wish me luck!

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#205 of 2423 Old 09-13-2008, 03:43 PM

Kelly, I like option 3 the best, although all of them are very cute!

Dd woke up at 6:45 yesterday! I didn't even have to wake her up. That's a good thing, because then she took her nap from 11:30 to 1:00 and went to bed at 8:30PM!! Yay! : She woke up at 7:20AM today. And just went down for her nap at 11:30. Woo hoo! Hopefully this means we're getting back on track.

#206 of 2423 Old 09-13-2008, 04:03 PM

Yeah, I like the 3rd option too. I'll have to go search on there since the wedding we're attending is a ren faire theme in NH.

#207 of 2423 Old 09-13-2008, 04:27 PM

I just realized that you changed the options kelly. Now I like option 2 the best.

Arelyn, sorry about your lack of adult alone time in the evening. It's really stressful for us when we don't get it for many nights in a row. dh leaves early for work, so having alone time in the morning doesn't work well for us. I'll have to remember to try that on weekends though!

#208 of 2423 Old 09-13-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Good suggestion on asking family for clothes, but neither side of our families has kept stuff like that unfortunately. I might also check out some local consignment shops but as you'll see below I'm very tempted to buy something handmade...

Elizabeth, thanks for the heads up about Kate Quinn! I'm off to check out Hanna Andersson after this post...

witchygrrl, people mistake Abby for a boy sometimes too, when she's wearing pink AND her teething necklace.

Vote on your favorite dress!
I spent a lot of time on etsy.com yesterday and found some ones I like. Which one is your favorite?

The wedding will be mid-October and the weather should still be fairly warm, but it's Texas so you never really know! For the short-sleeved ones we can just do a little sweater over them.
Option 1: Pink/white with brown sash
Option 2: Pink/white/brown flowers with pink/white sash
Option 3: Red/blue with peasant shirt
those are so cute. I think I like #1 and #3 the best.

#209 of 2423 Old 09-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Banned

good luck with ILs!

I really like the second and third dresses, and particularly the third dress. those are really lovely.

i'm having a friend make as suit for the baby for my sister's wedding in Feb. in the end, both ryan and i are in the wedding, and my sister picked a nice brown fabric and what not. quite nice really.

anyway, i figured i could just order extra fabric and then have my friend make an outfit for him that matches what ryan and i are wearing, since we're both in the wedding.

and, my dress has to be nursing friendly, too. and, my sister fore-warned the priest that i would, in fact, feed the baby in the church if needed. he seemed ok with that, she said.

so, that should be fun.

Cosleeping is the nicest thign ever, but i'm turning into a sandwich. that baby cuddles close, and then ryan cuddles close, and there i am in the middle trying not to be smooshed or smoosh anyone. LOL

so, i've moved over a bit to give ryan more space, which leads him to cuddling closer, and then the baby snuggles in really close. and sometimes, we just do "tummy-tummy" (skin to skin) with me on my back. it's nice, actually.

nursing right now is interesting. he nurses every 4th hr, for an hr or more. it kinda freaks me out, as he's supposed to go every 3rd hr, right?

so, anyway, we wake him every 3rd at night, and he'll feed for about 30-45 minutes, but then today, there was a 4 hr break between feedings (beginning to beginning) and the feeding lasted 2 hrs and 15 mintues (he did fall asleep occassionally and i had to wake him--but god forbid i take him from the breast.

in fact, now he's eaching every third--he's making hungry face again. he's so cute. so, i'll feed him again, and hopefully we'll get back on that 45 minute nursing every 3rd hr routine again!
#210 of 2423 Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Banned

Zoebird, there's no "supposed to" with breastfeeding, unless there's a medical (or similar) reason! Some babies have long feedings, but maybe not that often, some have tiny snacks once a hour or so. Some take a long time and just feed slowly, while others are guzzlers and finish quite quickly. And unless your baby is not gaining weight properly you don't need to wake them up to feed - they'll wake when they need to! With DD's weight issues I did end up feeding every three hours for about an hour - but I had low milk supply, and this worked best for us between 4 weeks and 4 months. We also did wake her up (every 4 or 5 hours) until she was about 10 weeks old, which I felt terrible about, but what with the LC, the nurses and the specialist paediatrician, oh well.

I realise you have had difficulties too, and I guess we just do what we need to do for our babies.

There will be days when Hawk will feed more often and seem more hungry (growth spurts). If you just let him, he'll soon settle into his "schedule" again.

Just try to relax about it. Not that I was very good about that. I found I worried a lot about everything in the first few months.

Oh, and in the first month DD was very reluctant to get of the breast at all!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page