NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part 4 - Page 73 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#2161 of 2423 Old 10-31-2009, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hated the afterpains, which lasted about four days for me. I took the ibuprofen for the first three days, taking less each day. They still hurt a lot even with the medicine.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#2162 of 2423 Old 11-01-2009, 12:15 AM

Hmm, maybe it's the momnesia thing, but i don't remember afterpains being that bad...immediately after the birth they were, but not in the days after. I was taking Alleve...maybe it helped. And maybe the sore nipples distracted me? At any rate, it sounds like they get worse with subsequent births? Good to know. And thanks, Shanna, for the recommendation. I'll be sure to order some of that when i order my homebirth kit from that site.

Men are funny....after nineteen months DH still doesn't get it. He didn't realize the time change was tonight, and then he said oh, so we get an extra hour of sleep? ha.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#2163 of 2423 Old 11-01-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post

Men are funny....after nineteen months DH still doesn't get it. He didn't realize the time change was tonight, and then he said oh, so we get an extra hour of sleep? ha.
DH and I have the discussion EVERY year!

Speaking of the extra hour of sleep. Its 5:45 and I'm awake, and not newly.
#2164 of 2423 Old 11-01-2009, 01:04 PM

Mastitis symptoms So disappointed, besides feeling terrible. My nipple on that side is hurting as bad as with Fenton. Praying this is temporary.
#2165 of 2423 Old 11-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Shanna, I hope it goes away soon! Not fun.

#2166 of 2423 Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 AM

Jaim is crying more and more every day. Sometimes I feel like I'm losing it. He's made me cry three nights in a row now. I start out every day trying to be positive and have a good attitude (he's pretty happy in the mornings), and I end it feeling horrible and so negative. I'm feeling sorry for myself because I never thought I would have two babies that cried so much. I thought after Maev, I would get an "easy" one. I wouldn't care if he wanted to nurse all day or even be held all day, but the inconsolable crying every night is really hard for me to deal with.

There must be something wrong with me to have two babies that are so fussy, right? I want to try changing my diet, but what should I eliminate first?

Maev's behavior is changing (regressing). She's had quite a few accidents lately and she's crying/screaming more often. I know she misses being the baby. She's always telling me, "But you're my little baby!" I feel so bad for her; like I'm being an awful parent.

I told Dh that I cannot do this again. I know he wants three kids (I do too actually - maybe even more), but I can't take another four months of morning sickness and this newborn stage. It makes me into a bad mom. I can't take care of my other kids when I'm sick or trying to keep a baby from crying all the time. I hate the fact that Maev's going to have gone through almost a whole year of not having a mom that's really there for her.

the good thing is that if Jaim is like Maev was, then he'll be a pretty happy baby in 2-3 months. I just have to get through these next couple of months without going crazy.

#2167 of 2423 Old 11-02-2009, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Shanna, for mastitis. I hope it gets better very quickly. I'm thinking of/praying for you.

Maela, I'm sorry to hear about Jaim's sleep issues and Maev's behavior issues. My thoughts and prayers are with you too, dear

Me update: After I was sure the spotting was gone and I'd done 7 days off bedrest, I started bleeding red flow (instead of the pink spotting I had before). Midwife wants me back on bedrest either until I miscarry or until we can listen with the doppler around 12 weeks (I'm 9.5 now). There's no good way to be on bedrest at home, so DS and I are going to stay with my mom for a while. Just wanted to give you all a head's up that I may not be around for a bit.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#2168 of 2423 Old 11-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
Shanna, for mastitis. I hope it gets better very quickly. I'm thinking of/praying for you.

Maela, I'm sorry to hear about Jaim's sleep issues and Maev's behavior issues. My thoughts and prayers are with you too, dear

Me update: After I was sure the spotting was gone and I'd done 7 days off bedrest, I started bleeding red flow (instead of the pink spotting I had before). Midwife wants me back on bedrest either until I miscarry or until we can listen with the doppler around 12 weeks (I'm 9.5 now). There's no good way to be on bedrest at home, so Calvin and I are going to stay with my mom for a while. Just wanted to give you all a head's up that I may not be around for a bit.
Oh no, Steph! I hope things turn out all right and you hear that heartbeat in 2-3 weeks. And I hope your mom takes good care of you. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.

#2169 of 2423 Old 11-02-2009, 01:32 PM

Dark days on this thread .

Maela, I have so much I want to say to you, I'll try to be back on later. But I wanted to and say that I think I felt the same sense of entitement for an "easy" baby, and Reece is getting fussier than I think I deserve. As fussy as average, but still....And I know completely what you mean about turning into a bad mom. I grabbed Fenton by the arm yesterday to stop him from what he was doing With teeth clenched.

Steph, I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how you're feeling right, being in limbo and wondering if you can prevent this. I'm praying that the bedrest helps.
#2170 of 2423 Old 11-02-2009, 01:33 PM

Maela, try eliminating dairy to see if it helps. I think I've only met 1 nursing mom (who is open to the suggestion) who has been able to do cow dairy while nursing.
#2171 of 2423 Old 11-02-2009, 01:37 PM

Steph,

s. Rest up-it's nice that you have your mom close.

Maela,

it has to be hard to divide your attention between two little ones who need you. Maev has an adjustment to make, too, but she will be thrilled (& irritated ) to have a baby brother soon enough. Jaim will be someone she will love and protect for her whole life-another member of her loving family. don't be too hard on yourself-it's a lot of work, and exhausting.

shanna- no mastitis, no, no.

Busy mama of
#2172 of 2423 Old 11-02-2009, 02:31 PM

oh no steph. thinking of you.

maela, i think it is too early to judge whether Maev will have an easy or hard adjustment. hang in there.

if anyone desires more upbeat distraction, please vote in my tao poll: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1156760
#2173 of 2423 Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 PM

hey, we got pro photos of dd back from photog. pm me if you want the linky.

just took her to the grocery store for an overly ambitious attempt to stock up after vacay. whoa. i am in recovery from wrangling her.
#2174 of 2423 Old 11-03-2009, 11:47 AM

First ER trip, ambulance and everything.

Only have a minute, but... He fell in the garage and whacked his forehead on a metal rod. 2 inch gash--6 stitches. They had to strap the poor lad into a cradle board/straight jacket thingy to sew him up. He was screaming and crying, of course, but just kept saying "I would like to get out please" (sobbing it, though). Heartbreaking! The little bugger's so strong it took 4 nurses to hold him down while they wrapped him. Did I mention heartbreaking? It was.

Now his eye is half swollen shut, but seriously, once he had his popsicle and was out of the ER, he was running and jumping around like nothing had ever happened.

We looked a motley crew, though. He was covered in blood, orange popsicle, and urine (peed himself in the straight jacket, even said/cried "mommy, I need to go pee pee" poor guy!) and me covered in blood. Standing out in front of the hospital waiting for DH to pick us up.

Funny thing about the TV and the popsicle: TV in the waiting room, Q says "what's that?" He sees our TV everyday, but its rarely on and if it is its always music. Tom and Jerry was on and he acted like he saw an alien!! He wasn't into it though! Wanted to read books instead!!!

When the nurse gave him a popsicle, he didn't even know to hold the stick, he just grabbed the frozen part and was surprised when it was cold.

I think the staff thought we were Amish or something

I have been thinking about all of you that are having a hard time, I do have to wonder what going on astrologically and such! Things will look up soon--I know it!
#2175 of 2423 Old 11-03-2009, 01:06 PM

piepie, sent you a pm

Holiztic - how scary! and how sad that he had to be strapped down - it's especially hard when they're asking so nicely for something and you just can't give them what they want! I'm glad to hear he's okay.

#2176 of 2423 Old 11-03-2009, 07:19 PM

Oh boy. Not much niceness happening here. So sorry that everyone is struggling so much. Thinking of you all and sending you all love.

I'm in a miserable place too. Sebby is such hard work right now. We've just been away with friends for 5 days and they all agreed that Sebby is sooky and needy whenever he sees me. I've been saying this for weeks. We can be out and he can be having an awesome time - confident, happy, playing and talking to adults and other kids but the minute we're home or having a quiet moment together he loses it and starts whining and moaning as though he's being tortured. And if he's not needing me to hold him, then he's tearing the house up and constantly injuring himself (the kid can get the child locks open on all the kitchen draws and cupboards and keeps jamming fingers and hands) - which I know is normal but combined with the neediness, it's unbearable. Can anyone help with some support or suggestions? What am I doing wrong? Why so needy? Is this normal for a 10 month old?

I'm starting to think I've made the WRONG decision re work. My patience and energy and confidence is not what I thought it was. I cannot stand it when he's whinging. I am not being a nice Mama. I don't know if I can do this.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#2177 of 2423 Old 11-03-2009, 07:48 PM

a big for everyone going through a tough time right now. weird how so many of us are struggling with one thing or another.

DH and I are fighting a lot over very minuscule stuff. then we apologize. then we fight about something else that's stupid. I sure hope we can get out of this cycle soon.

Come ponder with me about food!
#2178 of 2423 Old 11-03-2009, 09:08 PM

mujerista, dd had separation anxiety from 9-11 mos. it stopped the day she learned to walk.

witchy, i bet both you and dh are having a bit of trouble adjusting to the new work/childcare sched. it is stressful but worth it in the end. dd will have a much better relationship with dh at the end of this, i promise.
#2179 of 2423 Old 11-04-2009, 01:03 AM

Oh, my! I'm thinking of everyone and am hoping this bad streak is over soon

I decided to go into the ER tomorrow and get an u/s. I will update as soon as we get back. Continued thoughts & prayers would be greatly appreciated!

#2180 of 2423 Old 11-04-2009, 07:51 AM

hoping for good news, Sihaya. many goodvibes your way.

PiePie, you're probably right. I know Rhea is thriving, though I fel bad that she sees us fight over so many things. I know it's better in many respects than keeping it all bottled up, but still.

#2181 of 2423 Old 11-04-2009, 01:28 PM

Steph, thinking about you! I hope you're hearing good news right now.

#2182 of 2423 Old 11-04-2009, 04:27 PM

Steph watch

Things are better here. Infection lasted 1 day, but I rested and it passed by the next day. Lots of pain in that side, but it's dissipating. Fenton with G&G today, and I missed him as soon as he was out the door. We went out to eat with Reece, it was nice to get out for an hour or so.

Holiztic, I'm so sorry for Quinn. It sounds like it was a nightmare - how is he doing now? Fenton talked about his ride in the ambulence for months, I dare say it was bitter sweet for him because he was both fascinated and scared. It's funny how common it is to hear people describe childhood stories that are horrid, and they laugh about it. You lose sight of how ghastly it was at the time.

Maela, how are things going? I want to offer some comfort on what you were feeling, and my own experience is showing that some days are horribly difficult, some days it all seems to "fit", but most days are a combination of moments. My worst moments come when Fenton is particularly wild/upset that seems to come from food reactions, do things seem particularly difficult when Jaim is fussy? His fussiness is likely to be very temporary, like you said - is it mostly evening fussiness? It seems like this could give some clue as to whether it is food related or not. Does white noise help? How's his poop and gassiness? Fenton was a bear in the evenings, and it seemed related to how his naps got shorter and shorter as the day went on - I think he was ready for bed much earlier than we thought. Anyone else have suggestions? Swaddling might work too.....I've had good luck with Reece, putting him in my lap facing me and sort of jiggling him just enough to make his head bob a little from side to side. He goes into a bit of a trance. Taking Fenton outside sometimes worked......Both boys have done better burping if I put them high up over my shoulder, so their tummy is pressing on my clavical/shoulder. Have you tried a swing? Gripe water......throwing out everything I have Also wonder about.....teething. It seems early, but not for some kids.

MMM, I wish i had advice about a clingy "stage". Fenton's clingyness hasn't been in stages, more circumstantial. But it sounds like it's really common at this age, per Pie Pie. But that doesn't help in how to deal with it.

Had 4 of us in bed the other night. It was gorgeously beautiful, with me snuggling my newborn in front of me, and my older son cuddled against my back with his arm around my neck.....for about an hour. By hour two, Fenton had moved to have me in a headlock, and my newborns beautiful cooing sleep sounds were keeping me awake. Reece and I headed to Fenton's bed, and I vowed that cosleeping with the whole family never works out for teh Mama, everyone in bed naturally seeks her out.

Christina, thanks for the bra rec, I'm wearing it now and love it.

Witchy, on the marriage dynamic right now.
#2183 of 2423 Old 11-04-2009, 05:53 PM

Thinking good thoughts for you Steph.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#2184 of 2423 Old 11-04-2009, 06:05 PM

Thanks, all!

The ultrasound showed a baby measuring 5 weeks. I was going to be 10 weeks tomorrow, so it looks like the baby had been gone for a while. The progesterone and other supplements I've been taking probably helped keep things going this long. I've stopped taking all those things and am going to take some herbs my mw recommended to get things going.

Thanks again for all the thoughts, prayers, and support. I am doing okay so far, and am a little relieved to have a second shot at the timing we had wanted, though I know it's going to be hard, especially since a good friend is due the same day I was

#2185 of 2423 Old 11-04-2009, 06:16 PM

oh steph, sorry to hear that news. we're all here if you need a sounding board or a shoulder. thinking of you.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#2186 of 2423 Old 11-04-2009, 06:43 PM

so very sorry, steph. ditto what mmm said.

#2187 of 2423 Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 PM

Steph, I'm so, so sorry. Everyone feels the poverty of their words at times like these....You're in my thoughts.

When the baby is ready to let go, a hot bath will help. Really, anything that helps during labor. I seem to remember you have a shower instead of tub, please give a call if I can bring a hot water bottle or heating pad out to you.

Your baby knows they can come back when they're ready. I'm so sorry you have to say goodbye for now.
#2188 of 2423 Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 AM

I'm so sorry Steph.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#2189 of 2423 Old 11-05-2009, 04:12 PM

witchy, i have come to believe it is not whether the parents fight but how we do it that affects the child.

steph, oh this brings up so much for me. i disagree with shanna on the hot water bottle -- it will make you bleed more and won't affect how much of what needs to exit does, according to the nurse in the er. anyway, i really liked one book -- i can look up the title for you. and i wish someone had told me earlier to supplement with calcium! i had major moodiness for about a month afterward (until right before i got my cycle back -- coincidence? i doubt it) and i later learned that insofar as it was hormonal calcium can help even things out. also you will need a ton of rest -- you should arrange for dh to take calvin and just lie down for a couple of days, preferably with netflix selections and a laptop. it helped me some. xox
#2190 of 2423 Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM

Thanks so much, everyone.

I am still at my mom's house, ostensibly so I can have someone watch DS 24-7 and also be able to rest and eat well and all that. But, since we found out the baby is gone I've felt like a huge burden. No idea if it's how she feels, but it seems like now that she's not making sure her grandchild is born healthy, my mom just doesn't want to take care of me anymore. I want to rest. I want time alone. I just want to veg out in front of the tv with the laptop exactly like you suggested, PiePie, but my mom and brother are getting exasperated that I'm not cooking and picking up after DS. They seem to think that because I don't have to be on bedrest for the baby anymore, I should just go back to normal immediately. It's frustrating. I appreciate that I can vent to you ladies here.

PiePie, I really appreciate the advice about Calcium. I was taking a cal/mag supplement and stopped taking everything but prenatals after we got back from the ER yesterday. I think I'll add the cal/mag back in tonight, and I should probably take my CLO and butter oil to help with depression. Sean will be coming over some time this weekend and I'm having him bring some liquid chlorophyll and the tincture that was made from DS's placenta. I'm hoping that all of those things will be some help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page