Forum Jump: 

#421 of 519 Old 09-24-2011, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

doh! you're right! edited! thanks. lol

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#422 of 519 Old 09-25-2011, 02:14 PM

I am thinking about mounting a small flat screen tv in the bedroom of the RV. I think the wall probably needs extra support but it seems doable?! Have any of yall done this? Any pointers, success stories, or failures you'd like to share? 

I was thinking about maybe turning the big carpeted hub in between the two front seats into a coffee table. Not  sure if my crafty DH could pull that one off, but in my vision it's a huge success! I would love to wall paper over the 19 year old wall paper but my DH thinks our 1 year full timing plans don't include redecorating.shake.gif

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#423 of 519 Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 PM

Hi all!

I have been lurking around this thread for months...and my husband and I just took the plunge and bought a 28" 1985 RV! It has a great engine, low miles and we bought it off my mother in law so we only payed $4000. We're slowly sprucing it up, getting ready to live in it full time (and looking forward to it because we live with my parents).

We just put in cork flooring and I am really excited! It was our first major rennovation and I am so glad we went for it.

#424 of 519 Old 10-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Hi all,

I've been looking at information about full-timing off and on for a few months now.  DH just brought up the idea about a week ago, but I've been thinking about it for longer.  (He would love to sing for a living and find other ways to bring Christ to those who would never step inside a church.)  We have 2 kids so far (dd almost 5, and ds just turned 3) and we both want more.  I've been looking at different RVs and really don't think a trailer would be best for us, and most RVs in (what I would consider without talking to dh first) our price range would be a "master bed" and pull-outs for the kids.  Because of this I was thinking of an "entertainer's bus" which dh has a little more knowledge of having traveled a couple of weekends with a Southern Gospel group/two.  I do have some conserns about full-timing because of wanting a growing family.  What's the best way to have an infant in this type of vehicle while traveling and to deal with pregnancy (and infant) check-ups?

Along the same lines do you have to get a special license (CDL & the like) and how do you go about getting them renewed when you don't know how often you will be in your "home" state?  Do you suggest taking any special classes before setting out (for things like RV maintenance and repair)?

Like I said, I'm just looking at information right now.  DH says he doesn't feel called to this life yet, but I've wondered about it before and now he's saying stuff about it.  I'm one of those that likes to be as prepared as possible for anything that God may ask of us.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to answer,

Momma Ruby

#425 of 519 Old 10-07-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

I am thinking about mounting a small flat screen tv in the bedroom of the RV. I think the wall probably needs extra support but it seems doable?! Have any of yall done this? Any pointers, success stories, or failures you'd like to share? 

I was thinking about maybe turning the big carpeted hub in between the two front seats into a coffee table. Not  sure if my crafty DH could pull that one off, but in my vision it's a huge success! I would love to wall paper over the 19 year old wall paper but my DH thinks our 1 year full timing plans don't include redecorating.shake.gif

We mounted a 42 inch flat screen (it was a gift) which required putting extra support in the wall behind it to screw the mount into. It all went inside a cupboard so it wasn't noticeable. We took the TV down while on the road so it didn't fall.

ahimasmom, congrats! I think cork flooring would be a really good choice!

Momma Ruby there are some big families on the road like http://ticknortribe.blogspot.com/ I don't know much of anything about driving a Class A motorhome tough. Car seats were one of the reasons I choose to get a truck with 5th wheel trailer. RV maintenence and repair would be so helpful to know if there is some type of class, I'm not aware of them. Definitely read your manual very well! There are books out there like Full Time RVing by Bill Moeller that go over general maintenance and system functions. I was pretty nervous about all that when we started out.

For us, we just got our camper back from the shop after our blow out damage July 4th! Crazy! I'm glad we made it home and have a stick house rental!

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#426 of 519 Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 PM

for some reason the new posts didn't show up on my subscriptions. sorry guys, didn't know you posted. moonstarfalling what happened on the fourth of july? 

How is homeschooling going on the road. We started up again this year with a charter school and I'm not really lovin having to be accountable. Makes things a lot more rigid when I have to turn in work and study up for standardized testing.

so we did decide to not bring the RV to disney land. Instead we plan to begin fulltiming as soon as we get back. So were out of our rental Oct 31 and will be fulltiming by Nov 6th. 

I called the local car wash and they don't wash RV's. So how do I get my RV washed, waxed, and shampooed? Lots of things I never thought about. I keep telling DH he is supposed to buy some sort of sealant to coat the roof with? Anybody know about this? Is that something you pick up at the hardware store and just paint on?

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#427 of 519 Old 10-15-2011, 12:39 PM

Wow!  I've come a long way since then!

I "housed up" for the remainder of my pregnancy and had my UC and got the birth certificate the next month.  Then, a few months later, put my tax refund to work to get us a 78 Dodge motorhome!  :D

We've been living in the RV full-time for the last 8 months, however we haven't moved from the campsite since we got here :(  

I am looking to move, though, in the next few weeks, and either park at a friend's for a couple of months and then go traveling, or go traveling outright!  Big changes coming, and I am getting really excited!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post

Welcome ~D~, abinormal324, 3crunchycarrots and eveblac abinormal324, we're in FL right now and it's getting hot! Get one with a good A/C that's for sure. You might want two A/C units if you've got a 30 footer or more. These things heat up like crazy.3crunchycarrots, wow I admire all the work you're doing to green up your motorhome. My DH was completely against converting to veggie oil but I still hope to turn him one day.eveblac, I know that it's easier to get a UC birth cert in some states. I would find out which one was the best and just go there. I entertained similar thoughts of birthing on the road and traveling to wherever it made the most sense.

#428 of 519 Old 10-15-2011, 01:08 PM

You can buy sealant at a hardware store, but they often have no idea what you're talking about so the first time, I'd get it at an RV supply store. You can call a local RV Park to ask for suggestions. They usually either have a guy that washes RVs or can refer you to someplace local that does. Honestly, about half of what we learned about RVs was either from the managers or neighbors at RV parks. When we first got on the road, just the RVing was intimidating so boondocking was more than dh could take...so we stayed in RV parks a lot the first month or two. ;) They do offer their benefits. The places that big rigs get washed is where RVs go...most of us don't know they exist until we hit the road. ;) Most RV owners I met wash their RVs themselves, though.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#429 of 519 Old 10-15-2011, 04:32 PM

thanks incorrigible

#430 of 519 Old 10-15-2011, 10:33 PM

So we just had our first rain and my frickin' kitchen roof poured rain from two sides of the kitchen for like 2 days!  DH put up a tarp over it while it continued to rain, but we were told that we're not allowed to have tarps up in the RV park.  He cut a whole in the middle of ceiling.  It was leaking from the two panels on either side, so when he did that and shook and pushed on it a bit it all came pouring out the middle.

We dealt with rain in our other RV but that one was obviously in very bad condition, this one seems to be mostly fine except for that.  We need to get the sealant for it, but we are low on money this month, so I'm praying for no more rain until we get some money.  Yeah, it is only like $10-20 but we have no transportation and we are literally that broke this month.  Our rent went up at the RV park this month and we had some kind of inspection recently, though I'm not really sure what it entailed, apparently we passed or we would've heard more about it, I think.

I'm really eager to leave this place behind.  I've been building up my business and we're close to selling our old motorhome, we just need to get something to tow this trailer with and a plan.  I've been seeing lots of options, I just need to get DH on board, and really get some income coming in so I can save.

#431 of 519 Old 10-25-2011, 04:13 PM

featherstory, ugh sounds terrible. I honestly don't know anything about the roof, we haven't had any issues with that. Good luck with your goal to start moving!

eveblac, congrats on your birth and I hope you can get on the road too!

trekkingirl, the treads from one of our trailer tires sheared off on the highway and did some damage underneath. We also got our awning replaced after some rain damaged it. In all it was $3000 worth of work but insurance paid all but our deductible. They took three months to fix it though. I am so mad. It's going to be winter soon and I refuse to winter in Florida again. Where could we go that is not touristy? I like peace and quiet.

I did time4learning online curric for a while but DS kind of lost interest. I think it's a fun program and affordable. So glad you will be fulltiming soon!

Washing the RV is a pain, I really don't enjoy doing it. Some campgrounds won't even let you wash it there. We called a carpet steaming service once but they charge a ton for campers because of all the little nooks and crannies you have to clean around.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#432 of 519 Old 10-25-2011, 09:39 PM

moonstarfalling if I were looking for a serene spot away from Florida I would probably head over to Arkansas. My brother lives in the northeast corner in Jonesboro, about an hour from Memphis Tennesee. So much culture and kind people. Great food and music in Memphis. Oh and they have a really fun childrens museum. Everything is really affordable in Arkansas and if you're into nature and wildlife, I think it's one of the best spots america has to offer.

#433 of 519 Old 11-12-2011, 04:19 PM

So we have been in the rv for a few days now. I can't seem to figure out how to get the fridge to work and am bummed that the microwave doesn't seem to work either. Just got the water running today. So much to figure out! Can't wait til things are cozy.

#434 of 519 Old 12-13-2011, 06:19 PM

nak bump

#435 of 519 Old 12-13-2011, 06:22 PM

We currently live in TX and are thinking about moving to CA to live in a 5th wheel until we get settled and buy a house.  We have a travel trailer but would like more room, so we will trade it in for the 5th wheel. 

Is it difficult to homeschool in a RV? 

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#436 of 519 Old 12-13-2011, 07:50 PM

my DD is difficult to homeschool anywhere. She just has a hard time getting things done. She would rather go play. There are two homeschool groups we belong to and they both meet at a park once a week for interaction and play. The lack of space makes it hard to do projects but compared to other homeschoolers her age we are doing really well. thumbsup.gif

#437 of 519 Old 12-26-2011, 01:59 PM

I finally got my DH to remove the captains chair that was taking up all the floor space we had. It is so much more open now. The kids have a place to play with their toys on the floor. It is amazing what a difference some extra floor space makes.

We are hanging in at a more expensive location through the winter  because my DH would be commuting on a motorcycle and it's just too cold. This way I am close enough to drive him to work. I've been on disability. I hope to find a cheaper spot in April. It has been 30 degrees here at night! Crazy cold for California. We haven't been able to figure out an inexpensive way to heat the place. I'm assuming using the central heat that runs on propane would be too expensive? 

How are you doing? I would love to hear from you.

#438 of 519 Old 01-14-2012, 07:36 PM

bump

#439 of 519 Old 01-15-2012, 01:07 AM

I left CA just after Christmas with my girls...dh is still there...I'm looking for places for us to go with more space... something either community-like or work-trade/workcamper-like in a natural setting.  We were going to sell the motorhome to a woman who wanted to live at the park but she decided to move in with someone else there so dh had it towed. 

#440 of 519 Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM

oh wow sounds tuff let us know how your search goes and where you end up. 

#441 of 519 Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 PM

So...how many seatbelts does your rig have? Does anyone just have a drivers belt? If so how do you secure kids carseats?

THANKS

#442 of 519 Old 01-21-2012, 08:45 PM

Welcome to MDC darklotus 

my RV has seatbelts in all the seats so I'm not much help but I wanted to say welcome

#443 of 519 Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 PM

thanks for the welcome mama!

i've been dreaming of living on the road for years but have not taken the leap. i'm thinking i will when i get my tax refund this year! however i will be on quite a budget and think i will have to settle for what i can get and modify it paycheck to paycheck...

i'm looking into an older rig with only one seatbelt so i'm really concerned about my kiddos in car seats. i'm thinking i could come up with something secure using the latch system on the carseats and adding some type of anchoring bolts to the furniture?

my second main concern is with laundry as i have two in cloth, use family cloth and mama cloth and i don't like the idea of going to the laundromat several times a week. has anyone installed their own washer/dryer without spending a fortune?

#444 of 519 Old 02-15-2012, 03:23 PM

I have a 93 Thor Pinnacle. 30ft class A RV. Purchased for $5000. You look long enough, you'll find what you need for the price you want. Put your offer out as many times as you need to till someone takes it. The RV I bought was listed on Craigslist for $8500. You just never know!

As for cloth, sadly I did have to give up cloth diapering and it just kills me to use disposables. I go to the laundry mat twice a week and the machines are just covered in Tide and other detergents that would just strip the diaper to useless! Thankfully I did find a mom in need here on MDC and I sent her my cloth.

#445 of 519 Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Very true! We needed a new camper because the one we have is small and I just landed a 36' Fleetwood Prowler with two bedrooms, sliding glass door, laundry room and triple bunks for $2000! It needs a few repairs but still a very good deal for the price and I'm sooo excited. I can't wait to make it mine and get on the road in it! Now we just need to find a new truck and decide where/when our first destination is. Anyone else working on remodeling projects or any projects for stuff for their camper?

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#446 of 519 Old 02-27-2012, 09:32 PM

I need to do some remodeling but sadly we aren't. We are trying to become debt free and then buy a house. All our money is going to that avenue. Oh and can't forget the $3500 I'm shelling out for a new transmission on my car!

#447 of 519 Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Ugh that is terrible. We have to buy a new vehicle too but I found one today so happy happy girl. Gotta wait to get the rest of the money before I can actually buy it but he's gonna hold it for me so yay. I just brought the camper home today and tomorrow I will go through the new camper and get a better idea of what all we need or will want to do to it. We don't have a vehicle to pull a camper right now so I paid a guy that works with my mom to bring it here and he pulled it here with the truck he's wanting to sell so I know it'll do what we need to do with it. I know I'm going to want to do some fixing to the camper but I'm not sure yet how much I'll do right now. I just can't wait to get in it!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#448 of 519 Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 AM

Love this thread! We have been on the road before, hence the username. :) But this time will be for longterm. We just bought our school bus and apparently inflation knows no bounds, as the darn thing cost $4500 but it was the best one available. Could have spent less and gotten a money pit.

We hope to leave Alaska before snow falls in the winter of 2012. That gives us 7 months MAX to turn an empty school bus into our Motor Home! Can't wait. I'll have to take pictures so people can follow our journey!

#449 of 519 Old 03-09-2012, 06:31 PM

That sounds great, you should start a blog about your remodel and then about life on the road

#450 of 519 Old 03-10-2012, 09:35 PM

Dh and I have split up...our trailer is in storage and we're both living with family...I have the girls.  I'm putting together my business to go on the road and looking for a bus to do that by the fall hopefully.  I also need to get a car, as my wrecked one is now being totalled and we're going to a few places starting in the summer.  I'm mostly just figuring out exactly what I want right now and searching craigslist to see what's available.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page