Full Time RV living - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 519 Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I found a similar thread in the archives, but can't find a current one. Are you RV mommas still out there? I'm very interested in chatting with you. We are on a path towards full time RV and yurt living.
I've been looking at delight's website www.livelightlytour.com and getting very inspired!
Let's talk......
#2 of 519 Old 09-02-2008, 10:33 PM

we aren't "full time" rvers any more, but we're living out of our campervan atm. we travel a LOT. though often living out of backpacks, since we travel internationally.

I really love living in our van and moving around. even with gas prices through the roof, it's still cheaper than rent, and we're looking into veggie oil

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#3 of 519 Old 09-03-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post

we aren't "full time" rvers any more, but we're living out of our campervan atm. we travel a LOT. though often living out of backpacks, since we travel internationally.

I really love living in our van and moving around. even with gas prices through the roof, it's still cheaper than rent, and we're looking into veggie oil
That sounds cool! Would you mind telling me more about your lifestyle? Do you work? Do you homeschool your dd? I'd love to hear more.......

Thanks
#4 of 519 Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsley View Post
That sounds cool! Would you mind telling me more about your lifestyle? Do you work? Do you homeschool your dd? I'd love to hear more.......

Thanks
we homeschool (unschooling). I'm a travelling midwife, and dp and I both have paying jobs that we do over the internet, so anywhere we like

#5 of 519 Old 09-15-2008, 11:15 AM

Just wanted to this thread. I follow a lot of nomadic mama's blogs (CageFree, EnchantedGypsy, and you majikfaerie ). It's always been a dream of mine but because DH would never, ever be on board I must live vicariously through you guys!!

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#6 of 519 Old 09-23-2008, 04:53 PM

Hey all, I knew I could find a thread like this here!

We aren't nomadic quite yet but hoping to be within the next year. I have plans to go look at school buses tomorrow with a friend. This is something that I've always wanted to do and talked about. Time to make it a reality.

I was contemplating buying an RV but I think, with my mad scavenging skillz, it would be way cheaper to do it myself and with the help of friends. Besides, what a great project. I can learn things that I've always wanted to know but never took it to the next level. And I think I'd be much more comfortable traveling in something that I know about rather than having something break on it and have no idea what to do.

Anybody have any good links or advice about living on the road or converting buses?

ETA: annsley, I can't find the archived threads. Can you link me or give me the magic search word? Thanks!
#7 of 519 Old 09-23-2008, 08:01 PM

On the topic of buying and converting a bus, don't you have to have a special driver's license to drive a bus? I know you do here, at least if it's for a school or church.
#8 of 519 Old 09-23-2008, 10:03 PM

Good question, I was thinking about that earlier so I had to google it. If you scroll down here it gives the requirements by state.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
#9 of 519 Old 09-24-2008, 02:25 AM

it also depends on if it's registered as a "bus" or as an "rv", in some states.

#10 of 519 Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 AM

When my DH and I were self employed, we purchased a converted Greyhound bus and used that as our travel vehicle. Since we travelled 25-30 weekends a year, it made it very comfortable. We could have easily lived in it had we wanted to. My husband did the driving and maintanance and was not required to have a CDL.
#11 of 519 Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 AM

cool

#12 of 519 Old 09-28-2008, 02:25 AM

HEY EVERYONE!! I tried to post on our old one but couldn't so anyone up for a new one? How is everyone doing?? We our now full time in our 5th wheel since the end of August. We have been on my husbands parents farm getting the rig ready to go and my dh has been finishing up some web work he needed to get done. We are planning to head south for the winter not sure where exactly. We have a blog now too..
www.canadianfamilyrobinson.com
I would LOVE to catch up with everyone else too!

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#13 of 519 Old 11-12-2008, 07:35 PM

We just bought a travel trailer and I was wondering if this group was still active.

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#14 of 519 Old 11-21-2008, 04:13 PM

We are still here. With the economy this bad, I am SO glad we sold the house and bought the rv. We don't look nearly as loopy to people as we did 18 months ago.

I told dh maybe I had a sixth sense or something--I just remember feeling
100% sure we should get out of our mortage and move ahead with the rv plans even though it seemed at the time like there was no rush.

Now I am so glad I did.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#15 of 519 Old 11-25-2008, 07:03 PM

Yay I was wondering where this tribe went. We still plan to buy our rig in the spring. The earlier the better! We are so excited. We've taken a year to plan things and ready our home and possessions for selling. DH is currently remodeling pretty much the whole house while the kids and I are off in another state. The housing market is looking really good in our area now which makes me hopeful.

We wanted a 5th at first but now have decided to buy a starter RV. Perhaps a 28 footer. Something not too huge. Perhaps on the older side. There are tons of them for sale for such great prices. We have been touring some.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#16 of 519 Old 11-25-2008, 07:42 PM

We are living in our 5th and it is finally feeling like home after almost 3 months in it!! I am going to try and post some pics on our website www.canadianfamilyrobinson.com
We too are SO HAPPY to have gotten out of the housing market when we did!!!!!! We are running on solar now (with the help of a generator right now since we are on the west coast!)
We are back in BC for a bit while we deal with some health issues with my DD and celebrate the holidays with family and friends. We will be heading off to warmer places at the end of Dec

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#17 of 519 Old 11-26-2008, 12:31 AM

I am so glad to see this tribe come back!
We have been homebound for quite a while now. Still not on the road, still own our home, yadda, yadda.
We do have hopes that things will eventually change, and that we can be on the road more nad more. We were a bit derailed by the IL's potential move (they wanted us to live in their current house while they would be away for 4 years...long story, we're not--thank Goddess~)
Anyhow, we are slowly remodeling the rig fromt he inside. I have all of hte cupboard doors painted, and our oven has been sitting outside while we figure out what to do about a new countertop...It's kind of fun to remodel such a tight space--not too bad on the budget.

It's great to see this back...motivating! Happy travels Kimmom!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#18 of 519 Old 11-26-2008, 04:34 AM

HELLO!

We're just taking the plunge now, after many months of talking about it. We bought a 1973 Barth, 23 feet, and are just finishing up fixing it up. We sold our house (unfortunately just at the beginning of the market going crazy, but still, we sold!) and handed the keys over last fri - so now we're in a hotel, resting up from the chaos of packing up our house, and dreaming about getting on the road! First, south to sunshine!!!!!! Great to see this tribe, I'm so curious to see how this adventure goes. For now, our plan is to spend about a year......but we'll see!!!!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#19 of 519 Old 11-27-2008, 02:50 AM

I am jealous. I wish we could pack up and leave everything.

But I hope to learn a lot from everyone here. We know nothing about having an RV. I think there is an Idiots Guide that I will have to get myself for Christmas.

I bought ours on eBay - below wholesale. We were planning on buying one to camp locally as well as go to CA over the summer, where most of our family is. I found my trailer and did as much research as possible in a week.

The kids were so excited! DH is more reserved because of the payment + storage fees + insurance, but he will get over it. It is a great opportunity to spend some time with our kids away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#20 of 519 Old 12-05-2008, 03:24 AM

Where are you heading down south? We are leaving Vancouver Island end of Dec to go south!!

#21 of 519 Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 PM

Right now we're in Victoria for a couple of days, visiting friends and family and doing some shopping/setting up and then we're going to slowly start heading south. Definitely keep in touch, perhaps we'll be in the same area at the same time!!!!! We're going to spend this week working on our website, and once we have it basically up and running I'll post it here!!!!!!!!!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#22 of 519 Old 12-07-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmom View Post
Wow! You have solar power?! That is awesome! I can't wait to tell dh that. I have never heard of that before with an RV. How do you deal with them when driving? Are they easily damaged?

I really would like to sell the house, but the market is horrid here and I would be pretty ticked to lose our rears on the house. I knew the last time we came home that I really would be happier on the road. I just didn't want to come home last time.
#23 of 519 Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 PM

We are in Shawnigan Lake right now 30 minutes from Victoria visiting friends and family, will be in Vic next week dog sitting, parking in friends and families driveways/land until after the holidays

Yes we run on solar not so much right now on the island where it rains all the time
In Alberta we did awesome on our solar and barely needed the gen set at all to top off the batteries! Right now we are plugged in but as of Thursday will be back off the plug and charging our battery bank by running the generator a few hours a day
At first I was worried about the wind and the panels but they are very secure. We can drive 100km/h on the highway with no issues, just lock them down and we are good to go. We have had them tilted up through a few big windstorms and have been fine there too. I would have to ask my dh but I am pretty sure there is some warranty on them for rock chips etc. They are much sturdier then you would think! The hardest part of getting set up with them was getting them close enough on the trailer (33 feet long) to the battery bank and inverter.
I am so happy we sold when we did thats for sure! All has been good in the trailer so far but I am a tad "homesick" with Christmas and seeing everyone in their windows around the fire and tree but I know that will go when we are back on the road heading to sunnier places
We are keeping our eyes out for the right piece of land for us but want to wait as long as possible and travel more before we buy back in!

#24 of 519 Old 12-31-2008, 03:33 PM

Hi..we've been in our RV since June. (31', two adults, 4 kids and an 80 pound dog) Glad to see others doing it as well. It's been a challenge in some ways but great in other ways. We're new to homeschooling so that has taken some getting used to. I'd love to hear about other experiences.
#25 of 519 Old 01-01-2009, 04:51 AM

hello everyone! Happy New Year to you! We have sleeping young children, so are spending the evening catching up a bit on emails, eating ice cream and listening to the ocean crash in beside us!!!!! It's been a great end to 2008, I can't wait to see what kind of adventures 2009 brings!!!

We're on the road, finally figuring out, slowly, how this is all going to work. It seems SLOWING DOWN, not driving tonnes and changing spots often, plus incorporating more down days to just be and not always playing tourist, are going to be key......along with more State Parks for our family, and less RV resorts!!!!!!! We've been slowly trying to figure out a website, feel free to check it out but be patient with me as I figure out many of the bugs!!!!! It's at www.ThoseWhoWander.ca and for now, you have to cut and paste the addresses for the blogs.

Right now we're in San Francisco doing the touristy thing and waiting for some mail, but in a couple of days we'll head down to surfing areas! Disneyland in a couple of weeks, the whole reason we're doing this trip as far as my girls are concerned!!!! Burke-a-bee, where are you guys? ANd Kimmom, what about you?!

#26 of 519 Old 01-02-2009, 01:16 AM

We are in Austin..heading west looking for work in New Mexico then on to Arizona.
#27 of 519 Old 01-02-2009, 01:27 AM

Does anyone have thoughts about being pregnant on the road? I'm considering it and wondering about the logistics of having a baby in another state. The plus is that I could choose any pro VBA2C provider in the US

We're both concerned about getting a small enough rig to drive comfortably but yet big enough for us all. We have two kids, three cats and a small dog. How big do we need?

Dh is very nervous about not having roots somewhere. He thinks we need to buy a house and just let it sit while we're gone but I don't see the point.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#28 of 519 Old 01-04-2009, 09:25 PM

We are still on Vancouver Island, kinda snowed in where we are! Hopefully it will melt soon and we will be able to pull out of here, looks like mid Jan. We will be heading south! Via Portland to visit family, thinking of taking the coastal route then down to California. Disneyland of course Then to Arizona/New Mexico! Would Love to meet up with everyone!!!!

#29 of 519 Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 PM

After about a month in Austin we have moved on to New Mexico. Hopefully my DH will find work and spend some time here.
#30 of 519 Old 01-06-2009, 02:05 AM

burke-a-bee: whats your DH do for work on the road? We are going to head to New Mexico eventually too hear it is beautiful there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page