Nomadic Families - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 10-29-2009, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueone View Post
We move a lot. I'm anticipating a move in 2 years right now. We just got relocated to NY for the army and in general they move you every 2 years. Sometimes people get lucky and get to say longer, I'm sort of hoping that for us. I hate packing with a passion.
I'm actually hoping they move us more often once DH gets his PCS orders. Two years seems like a long time to me.

So this is a completely random question. I constantly have dreams about moving into new places, exploring houses, checking out possible rentals, etc. Do you think us mamas that move alot have those dreams more often or am I totally going preggo nuts? I have had dreams the last two nights in a row about exploring vacant properties and contemplating moving in even though we just moved and am happy in my current place. Maybe its some weird aspect of the nesting instinct at the moment - except I have the dreams pretty often when I'm not pregnant too.

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#32 of 54 Old 10-29-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remijo View Post
So this is a completely random question. I constantly have dreams about moving into new places, exploring houses, checking out possible rentals, etc. Do you think us mamas that move alot have those dreams more often or am I totally going preggo nuts? I have had dreams the last two nights in a row about exploring vacant properties and contemplating moving in even though we just moved and am happy in my current place. Maybe its some weird aspect of the nesting instinct at the moment - except I have the dreams pretty often when I'm not pregnant too.
I have a feeling we'll move before my son is around 3 because I had a dream where we had just moved and I was pregnant in the dream. I also had horrible morning sickness and was trying to unpack and deal with my son despite all of that. I would be surprised if there is a bit of intuition involved with that because moving is a life style.

But then moving dreams could also mean something else, it could be a way of processing a change in life and preparing for it such as bringing in a new baby. Have you looked up the meaning of it?

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#33 of 54 Old 10-30-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueone View Post
But then moving dreams could also mean something else, it could be a way of processing a change in life and preparing for it such as bringing in a new baby. Have you looked up the meaning of it?
Hmmm, very insightful. You are probably right!

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#34 of 54 Old 12-26-2009, 07:30 PM

count us in too. i grew up moving a lot, and going to stay with relatives, or on extended vacations whenever we weren't moving. I've tried SO hard to be "stable" and stay in one place for "the sake of the kids." Have any of you that grew up all over the place had to deal with those people that never left the town they were born in, maybe not even for a vacation? The world is this big scary place and everything I didn't like about my childhood is blamed on moving. And everything they like about their childhood is caused by never moving? oi. It took me a long time to realize how very wrong that was. I'm strong and independent and capable. I'm incredibly creative because of such varied experiences in my life. And my friends! I don't just have a small group of close friends I've known since forever. I have more good close friends than I can even keep track of. Anywhere I go stateside, and many places overseas, I have such friends.

And even with a "typical" upbringing, my kids have my wanderlust. Since day one, they've been enthralled with history, geography, foreign cultures...and it's not just knowing about them. They're always daydreaming about visiting places, planning the trips they'll take someday when they can travel on their own, asking me if we can ever see this place and do these things. None of us are happy in one place. We're in the process now of shifting our possessions and habits. We have pets, so the goal is to get our household minimalized to the point we can fit it in one truck, suv, or something of the sort. We like to spend some time in any given place, really get to know it, and can afford to rent a furnished house or apt in most of mexico and south america. By the time we're done there, the animals will have passed and not been replaced, and if we still have itchy feet there's plenty of world left to explore.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#35 of 54 Old 12-31-2009, 06:06 PM

never mind
#36 of 54 Old 06-12-2010, 06:41 PM

no one has posted in awhile so I thought I would resurrect the thread especially since I realize we've moved twice since I posted here last fall once just to another place in Miami and then this spring up to Asheville, NC. LOL now I'm following the RV thread too - maybe some full time traveling would cure the wanderlust...or then again...maybe not

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
#37 of 54 Old 07-09-2010, 09:07 PM

sapphos- oh good. i love knowing other nomads. its nice to be around people that "get it"

we're moving again next weekend. lol we've loved the place we're in now, but the whole lot of us are unsatisfied. we're not moving too far, this time. out to a beach town a couple hours away. maybe for a few years? maybe not so long...the kids are already trying to convince me to put things in motion to move overseas. Crash wants to live in Tokyo for a while...Spritely wants to spend time in India and Egypt...then they both want to see everything else on earth. lol For now, we've compromised on a house in a new town, and finding lots of excuses to travel within the US...a week here or there, kind of thing. There are some major medical expenses coming in the next few months, so I'm not worrying about what comes after those yet. They will suck up enough money, and cause enough cultural changes just within our family to shake things up for a while, I think.

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#38 of 54 Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 PM

hey, i move a lot too. i grew up pretty stable, but my mom always talked about moving or traveling places. we both have Sagittarius moons, in the 4th house. so there's the wanderlust, but the need to feel at home as well. this has been very difficult for me to balance. i have two boys, 8 and 3. last move was 8 months ago from US back home to Sweden. I lived in the US for 11 years, i loved the freedom, alternative culture, but always felt like i missed out on Europe. when i was a kid southern Europe was the big adventure, but I met my husband very young and moved with him at age of 20.
so here i am, my husband will join us in a week, we haven't seen him in 8 months. when i left i had a nervous breakdown, even though i've moved several times in my adult life, both internationally and nationally. it was a nightmare and i'm scared of moving again. and we are! in two weeks we're moving 7 hours north of here. i'm going to study fabric arts. my husband will stay home with the kids. we've homeschooled in the US, but here in Sweden it's suddenly illegal. btw, we didn't mean to end up here in Sweden, but were headed for Portugal or possibly the UK, but got cold feet on my own with two kids. So Sweden is easier, no checking our financial situation as in the rest of the continent.
when i'm done with school, it'll be my husband's turn. he's not sure what he wants to do. he's been working in group homes for the last 7 years and is ready for a big change. not sure how long i'll put up with sweden though.

good to know there are more people like me here!
#39 of 54 Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 PM

When I was a child we lived on the end of a dead end street. When I was 13, the town pushed the street out one more block and built some new homes on it. My parents moved us out to the end of the dead end street again. SO I grew up about 6 blocks from where my mom was born. She would have been happy to never leave there. But she did move to Arkansas for a few years because my dad wanted to go home. They only lived there a couple of years. I left home at 17 and didn't stop for the next 3 decades. I've lived in Mississippi, Texas, back to Iowa, then to Illinois. Then I went to Texas again, followed by Arkansas then Missouri. Then Ohio followed by Tennessee. Then I went back to Iowa because my dad was sick. But then I couldn't deal with how sick he was getting and moved to Washington. 13 years ago I moved to Jersey and have been here ever since. I hate it here. I detest this apartment. I don't really have an friends. I moved here to marry a man I met online. We're still married. I can't believe I have lived in the same place for over 13 years now. Not only the same state but the same apartment. My husband has actually lived in this apartment since he was 8 months old. I want to move so bad I can taste it. But I doubt we will ever leave here. Not only has my husband lived in this apartment almost his entire life, but he has only had one other job since he graduated from high school. I feel trapped and miserable. Some of my kids have inherited their mom's wanderlust. My daughter bought a house about 5 years ago. But she often talks about leaving it and moving on. Actually she bought my parent's house. Oh well. I guess for now I will live vicariously through all of you and your travels.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#40 of 54 Old 07-13-2010, 07:17 AM

hugs to you dakota's mom. could you work a situation where you are gone for some time each year, for a month or two?
i have major wanderlust but my husband doesn't really. he just sort of follows me but if i end up not liking the new place, or want to move on within six months, he's not very happy. he says he can be happy anywhere. gosh, do i envy that, and not at the same time.
my ideal is to find a nice place in the countryside, in a european country, preferrably warm, that allows homeschooling. owning a bit of land, possibly sharing everyday life and resources with other like-minded families (or just live in a really cool village). we lived on an organic milk farm once and while we didn't like the people so much, my husband loved doing that kind of work, being outside, caring for animals. i love homesteading too, but i can't do it if i don't have the ability to leave easily, get out and see and experience new things on a regular basis. so, i see us doing this sometime soon hopefully. i think that would make us all happy.
now i've been solo with the kids for 8 months, i'm so itching to go somewhere on my own!
#41 of 54 Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 PM

No, we don't have the money that would allow me to take a trip. So I cruise the internet and read people's blogs about their travels. Someday, someway.....

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#42 of 54 Old 07-15-2010, 09:54 PM

Count us in!

We're going to be stable for 6 months...finally committed to a lease! We've been on the move since my son was born 18 months ago.

We own one suitcase that's too large to check on a plane, a carseat and carseat bag, one suitcase that can be checked, one bookbag, and two laptop bags. We move so often that this is really all we can manage along with our 18 month old!

My husband plays poker online...it's a very stable income for us, but doesn't require him to work very many hours, so it enables us to move anytime we desire.

We haven't lived overseas yet although we dream about Thailand and Australia...particularly Darwin, Australia...sounds DREAMY! Basically, we keep an eye on craigslist...lol...anyone else do that? If there's a nice deal in an area we are interested in visiting, we move! That's why we're in Hawaii right now ;-)

In the past 18 months, we've lived:

Erie, PA-- (ugg)
Pittsburgh, PA--(double ugg)
Myrtle Beach, SC--(nice, but wouldn't want to live there again)
someplace along the florida panhandle for a month?---(crazy hot!)
Asheville, NC---(Wonderful...would totally move back if I had to stop moving)
Puerto Rico---(MISTAKE!)
Berkeley, CA----(Beautiful and would totally move back)
and now Kailua, Oahu, HI---(gooorgeous!)

My baby is a TODDLER?!!! 12-28-08       toddler.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifblogging.jpg
#43 of 54 Old 07-17-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonapple View Post
My husband plays poker online...it's a very stable income for us, but doesn't require him to work very many hours, so it enables us to move anytime we desire.
can i just say how awesome that is? my xh nearly lost our house when he decided that would be a good idea! lol your dh rocks!

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#44 of 54 Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonapple View Post
Count us in!

We're going to be stable for 6 months...finally committed to a lease! We've been on the move since my son was born 18 months ago.

We own one suitcase that's too large to check on a plane, a carseat and carseat bag, one suitcase that can be checked, one bookbag, and two laptop bags. We move so often that this is really all we can manage along with our 18 month old!

We haven't lived overseas yet although we dream about Thailand and Australia...particularly Darwin, Australia...sounds DREAMY! Basically, we keep an eye on craigslist...lol...anyone else do that? If there's a nice deal in an area we are interested in visiting, we move! That's why we're in Hawaii right now ;-)

In the past 18 months, we've lived:

Erie, PA-- (ugg)
Pittsburgh, PA--(double ugg)
Myrtle Beach, SC--(nice, but wouldn't want to live there again)
someplace along the florida panhandle for a month?---(crazy hot!)
Asheville, NC---(Wonderful...would totally move back if I had to stop moving)
Puerto Rico---(MISTAKE!)
Berkeley, CA----(Beautiful and would totally move back)
and now Kailua, Oahu, HI---(gooorgeous!)

All I can say is WOW! I didn't even know people did that and earned money! That is insane! Sounds like you guys have had an amazing adventure!
#45 of 54 Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM

We're pretty lucky...hopefully it'll hold out for a few more years ;-)

My baby is a TODDLER?!!! 12-28-08       toddler.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifblogging.jpg
#46 of 54 Old 07-18-2010, 08:42 PM

I guess, kinda, we're nomadic, sort of . We have two places we call "home" and spend the school year (I'm a teacher) in one place (Alaska), and an extended holiday break and the summer in the other place (Wisconsin). We rent in Alaska, and are buying a home in Wisconsin.

So... we're not exactly jetting off to all sorts of different places; we're jetting off to the same two places every time. Not sure if I qualify as "nomadic," maybe we're more "migratory."

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#47 of 54 Old 07-28-2010, 12:57 AM

I don't know if we are nomadic per se, but we move every two years or so. We are just gear up for the next international move in two days.

I moved a lot as a kid, so it's not as big a deal for me as it is for DH who never moved before the age of 16.

We are moving ds around a lot and I do worry for his sense of stability, but I hope I counter that with a safe home. Who knows.

Anyone have any advice for transitional behavior issues?

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#48 of 54 Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 PM

Does anyone who moves frequently (and have older kids) also lack some 'routine' with them?

I am beginning to feel like (as artist) who are constantly in transit- even though our son is with all the time- 24/7, we cosleep, etc.. our routine is no routine.. and a lot of other parents (ok, just my DH family) has stressed how important it is the kids have 'routine' or they go crazy...

thoughts?

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#49 of 54 Old 09-22-2010, 05:59 AM

I simply said that we are headed. My three half-years, has lived in eight different places, including abroad. My 14 months has been to three different locations to date.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
#50 of 54 Old 09-24-2010, 08:36 AM

so good to find this thread! we've been roving all over asia since our daughter was born - first in turkey, then india/nepal and finally china. she's been on a great many airplanes in her two years! our work as artists is bringing us back to our homeland of america for an entire year in 2011 - truly we're a bit trepidatious!

along the way we've had to contend with a few naysayers in our circle of aquaintence, who maintain that country-hopping is harmful to a child's development. we believe it to be quite the contrary - little Lark has learned to appreciate and accustom herself to a myriad of cultures. in order to integrate into our new neighborhoods as fully as possible, we try to approximate the lifestyle of an 'average citizen' in whatever country we find ourselves in. it's given her a chance to experience not only different places, but different ways of living.

another benefit we've found is our ability to break away from the 9 - to - 5 routine. until Lark was two, both of her parents were constantly available to her. we took various jobs which could be done in the home...photography books, visual arts tutoring, cottage industries and the like, so we could share as much of our time with her as possible in the first years.

now, as she begins to grow more independant, we work part-time jobs; my husband lectures at a university, and i teach theatrical arts to a group of small children. china provides an option for working parents that is often not available in our homeland - many families here have an 'ayi' (which literally means 'aunt'). an ayi is usually treated just like an aunt would be, as part of the family, which has given lark another adult to look to for love and guidance.

a common criticism we hear is that it's unkind to make a child forever leave their friends and familiar surroundings. in our experience, though, lark has been able to develop her confidence by learning that, wherever she goes, there will be new friends to make and new places to call home. kids are natural adventurers, and we feel that a child's sense of security can rest within herself and in her family, not just in particular places or things.

right now we're in shanghai (china), modifying mopeds to pull small covered wagons. later this year we'll travel the countryside with another family, putting on an old-fashioned variety show for the residents of the villages we visit - and making a documentary of the whole affair!

we'd love to hear from other travelling families, especially those who make their way by creative means in various cultures. slots are still open for the aforementioned covered wagons if anyone wants to join us
#51 of 54 Old 09-25-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
...develop her confidence by learning that, wherever she goes, there will be new friends to make and new places to call home. kids are natural adventurers, and we feel that a child's sense of security can rest within herself and in her family, not just in particular places or things.
I couldn't agree more

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#52 of 54 Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 AM

It's my first post on this board YAY!! So hi people.

My husband works for Teva Pharmaceuticals, we move and travel a lot mostly because of his job but it's exhausting for him. I'm pretty used to travel and moving. I'm originally from Israel but I moved a lot as a child. I lived in Israel, South Africa, Turkey and Spain as a child and teen.

We are in Equatorial Guinea at the moment, I think we are staying here for another 4 months. I met him while I was living in Spain then I moved to Poland with him for two years, then we lived and got married in Israel.

We've lived in Equatorial Guinea, Poland, Spain, Switzerland, Israel and Mexico with the kids, I have 5 kids under 8. We plan to establish when my oldest turns 10 though but that's 4 years from now becuase it does get tiring.

Ima to Gila(6), Merav & Meital(4), Roni(2) and Harel (10 mo)
#53 of 54 Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 PM

ok...exciting news I must share! We have big plans. This one year here or there business is just not enough for us! We've bought an RV, given our notice, and are on the road full time at the end of the month! *crossposted in the FT RV tribe*

We're all SO excited. We're starting out by tooling around the US some. Take dh and the kids around to all the things they've never seen. I've seen it all. Then we're going to head south and explore things none of us have. I've been around Mexico a little, but it's a big place with lots of things I haven't seen. And below it is a whole CONTINENT I've never explored! I can't wait! I'm totally stoked.

We'll be getting by on my writing and whatever side work dh can pick up. For the US portion, we are set for enough income to be stacking money aside in savings...or just pooring it into the beater of an RV we picked up. lol We opted for WAY under budget - with tons of potential. Instead of something that doesn't need any work, maxes out the budget, and would be more difficult/costly to upgrade and customize. I think it exemplifies our values nicely. lol

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#54 of 54 Old 12-02-2010, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

i could write the above post....although my parents didn't move a lot, we only moved from russia to lebanon when i was 14 and i moved to japan and back to leb in university years. But moving is inside me! I used to change my room's furniture places since i was a kid and always want to move somewhere.....once in japan i promised myself that i'll spend my life moving from now on. but ive married and dh is sooooooooooo settled in his village, he used to be a traveller but he changed...i did not...:( so now it has been 3 years we are in a wonderful house in dh's village have our own farm but............i always feel depressed and wanting to move somewhere....:( maybe i am gypsy too?

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page