Not Mamas... Yet Tribe, Part XVII (Winter 08/09) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2008, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iirc, GathererGirl had her baby, so can be moved to the graduates list.

I'm 29 , and I guess we're aiming for 2010. Well, after the wedding at least, and ideally timed to avoid both birth in China or an expensive flight home to avoid birth in China.

He held a baby on Thanksgiving though, which was awkward and awesome. He said he liked it! I think it's time to change my sig...

Mom to Thora, born at home 9/28/2011. Currently in Madison, WI, but gearing up for a move to Providence, RI in August! I'd love to meet some folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM

Yay new thread!::

RE: UTI Jenne - If you can get ahold of this herb called Uva Ursi (Bear berry) it's really effective. The last UTI I had got pretty bad but with uva ursi, tons of garlic (DF thought that part was hilarious and stinky) plus some cranberry juice without sugar I managed to get rid of it without anti-biotics. I was having a real string of them and the thing is the anti-biotics get rid of the good bacteria that help combat the UTI's in the first place so make sure you take tons of pro-biotics to help rebuild your natural immunity.

RE: cat sling justbecca - DF and I need to get one of these. One of our cats is so clingy with DF and just wants to be carried around all the time when he gets home from work

RE: TTC - Congrats JessicaRenee and GuavaGirl and zejh :: Wishing you lots of happy sticky baby vibes

Can I get my age changed to 27 on the intro? We're still not sure when we're going to start TTC, it seems like it's not going to be for a long time though. But the last time I got really weepy about babies DF decided that we are no longer simply DTD we are practicing to TTC with protection!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post
Congrats! So everything has worked itself out?
Not completely, but we're getting there. A month ago, Chris would barely touch me and I'd kick him away. Now he gets about halfway in. YAAAAY!

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Andee: Yeah, I actually just started temping. I re-skimmed TCOYF a couple days ago. I've been charting just AF and CM for about a year. I think taking my temp. at the same time every morning is going to be hard, because at this time in my life I don't have a very regular sleep schedule. I wonder how much it will affect the accuracy.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
Not completely, but we're getting there. A month ago, Chris would barely touch me and I'd kick him away. Now he gets about halfway in. YAAAAY!
That's totally awesome!! I'm happy to hear that things are going so much better!!:

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
Old 12-03-2008, 02:03 PM

Wow! So many people TTC now!

I'm not TTC, but I'm having one of those times where I have myself half-convinced I might be pregnant. I'm still on the pill, so most likely not, but I have better reasons this time than some other times.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all, I am crazy busy right now with finals and everything. So sorry about the delay. I'll be back at the end of the week to update everything.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
That's great! : Sending you some baby dust
Old 12-04-2008, 12:07 AM

:

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Old 12-04-2008, 12:38 AM

I'm trying to think of a Christmas present for a couple who have just found out they're pregnant with their first baby. I'm thinking a book since they're both book type people. Any suggestions? I'm not too sure where they're going to fit on the baby raising AP continum but they're pretty green and have some friends who are are AP but I don't want to be pushy and be like "This is what I want to do when I have a baby so you should try it too " or something like that. I'm really happy for them. They've been trying for a long while.::
Old 12-04-2008, 12:48 AM

ladyinred: I just gave a gift to a couple who just found out they're having a baby. They've been trying for a year, so it was really exciting. I ended up getting them a cute hallmark card specifically for Pregnancy congratulations, and then I got a pregnancy journal for her. It was specifically made for recording pregnancy events and there were pages to fill out things like "How did you first find out", "Post 1st ultrasound and big belly pic here", "What have your cravings been", "List potential baby names", etc. I thought it was pretty cute, and I'm totally gonna do something like that when I'm pregnant.

Oh! I'd check out etsy for some unique pregnancy related gifts too.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:00 AM

What about a subscription to Mothering magazine?

As far as books:

Thinking women's guide to a better birth by Henci Goer
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
Birthing from Within by Pam England
Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
Old 12-04-2008, 02:26 AM

books:

anything by Dr.Sears is good since its by a well known family/baby doctor
Old 12-04-2008, 10:46 AM

I would love a subscription to Mothering when I get pregnant.
I love the idea of giving them a book. Also, you could start stocking them up on essentials like cloth diapers (if they plan to use them), baby toys, or baby clothes. When I had a friend that had just found out before Christmas, I gave some organic clothes and a little toy wrapped in a baby blanket with ribbon.

Nearly crunchy mama to one DS born at home 12/09 and married to my best friend one week later signcirc1.gif

Old 12-04-2008, 06:48 PM

subbing...

i haven't been around in a while. i've had a terribly busy couple of months with school and work, but classes are over for the semester, so i'm back!!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:39 AM

On an ever-so-slightly unrelated note...tomorrow is our 5-month anniversary! :

Old 12-05-2008, 12:38 PM

Happy Anniversary, Jessica!!!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 12-05-2008, 04:34 PM

happy anniversary Jessica

on another note i got a tattoo
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=tattoo-1.jpg
Old 12-05-2008, 05:25 PM

Nice tattoo, Shaina. What's the story behind it?

Nearly crunchy mama to one DS born at home 12/09 and married to my best friend one week later signcirc1.gif

Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 PM

Happy anniversary Jessica!

Nice tatoo Shaina!

Thanks for the advice everyone. Happy weekend!:
Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andee View Post

Nice tattoo, Shaina. What's the story behind it?
not to much of a story its my fav quote. and i've realized lately that you need live where your heart wants to be because if you dont you'll be miserable
Old 12-06-2008, 02:06 AM

RE: Vitex (for Jenne I think)
I am supposed to be doing a three month treatment of vitex. I havent gotten very far with it because it tastes so horrendously bad I cant seem to bring myself to take it every day. I have both tincture and tea. I found the secret to taking it was to put tincture drops in a shot glass, put in a teeny bit of hot water to help evapourate the alcohol and squeeze in a wee bit of lime. Somehow it just went down easier that way. It does definitely work for regulating hormones. If you want to induce menstruation you could use a sprig of parsley vaginally, or take a lot of ginger tea. Among other things... I could look some more up but those are the ones I think of off the top of my head.

As for me... I had a crazy week and am feeling a bit shaken up. Read my blog for details.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:40 AM

Sage- Thanks for the advice! For some reason I had assumed Chasteberry/Vitex was pills. Eeewww. I'm not sure I can do a liquid. Hmmm. I'm gonna go to the herbalist on Monday so we'll see. A sprig of parsley? Really? Hmmm. Do you know anyone who has actually done this? Will it bring on menses or is it to regulate menses? How long does it need to be there? How many times? Hmmm. I eat an awful lot of ginger. I haven't noticed any effect.

As for your blog...yeah...that's complicated. I'm glad you found the tenderness and such that you were needing. Sometimes friends make the best more-than-friends.

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 PM

Good Sunday all, I hope a lovely weekend was shared by all.

Sage, complicated, imperfectly perfect, lovely, and probably just what was needed by both of you

Love the quote and tattoo. I'm trying to schedule an appointment sooner than later to have a swallow place on my left wrist.

We might try this week, but as the days grow closer I'm scared and wonder if I will ever be ready. I guess I'll just have to jump in feet first and go back to our original plan of taking it day by day, casually not not trying - but January seems like I better idea. That is until I see a sweet babe and my heart melts and I forget about the last 10 lbs. I want to lose...
Old 12-07-2008, 11:14 PM

I'm wondering if I could join this group.
I'm nineteen, and with no plans for children for the next 5 years anyways.

treehugger.gifQueer Not-A-Mama-Yet, here to read and lurk until it is time to have the babies...

Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I think we are officially updated. Sorry for the delay. Congrats to those currently TTC. GuavaGirl, I put you in TTC if that's ok.

Shaina, It's beautiful!

So I presented my childbirth film in class on Friday and it went really well. The professor seemed impressed and the whole class (58 women, 2 gay dudes) had sooo many questions about childbirth options and why don't we know this and how does it work when you have a midwife, etc. It was really great. But alas, more time for some more finals this week. So psyched for Christmas though!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage.Naissance View Post
RE: Vitex (for Jenne I think)
If you want to induce menstruation you could use a sprig of parsley vaginally, or take a lot of ginger tea. Among other things... I could look some more up but those are the ones I think of off the top of my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
A sprig of parsley? Really? Hmmm. Do you know anyone who has actually done this? Will it bring on menses or is it to regulate menses? How long does it need to be there? How many times? Hmmm. I eat an awful lot of ginger. I haven't noticed any effect.
Jenne, I have actually used a combination of mega-dosing vit C and parsley to bring on menstruation a couple of years ago.

As far as the parsley goes, I actually brewed up pots of parsley tea and drank that constantly during the day.
I also made a parsley "pessary" by separating the leaves from the stems then kind of rolling the leaves into a ball for insertion. Make sure they're way up near the entrance to your cervix. I did a pessary for three nights and tea during the day for the two days. The third morning I woke up with my menses.

I had also been mega-dosing vit C for two days before starting the parsley treatment (so 5 days total) but if you're just bringing on a late period, the parsley might (should) help.
It softens the cervix I believe?

My cycle was very irregular at this time and I used a combination of vitamin E and C to regulate it. I can tell you more about that if you want?

HTH and wasn't too much info

Sage.Naissance I am really curious to know where you found info about using a ginger tea to bring on menses? My pregnant friend is currently using ginger tea to help control her extreme morning sickness... I had no idea it has any effect on your cycle, could it cause issues for her pregnancy?

: Helen : Currently a veggie, dready, student, NFL nanny!:
Old 12-08-2008, 01:47 AM

Shaina! What a wonderful tattoo. I'm jealous-- I'm terrified of needles, I know I'll never get one.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 12-08-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrine View Post
I'm wondering if I could join this group.
I'm nineteen, and with no plans for children for the next 5 years anyways.
I don't think I would be out of line to say

Pull up a chair and make yourself comfy!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
Shaina! What a wonderful tattoo. I'm jealous-- I'm terrified of needles, I know I'll never get one.
aww thank you. ya it didnt really hurt for me, have you ever seen a tattoo gun? it doesnt really look like a needle at all actually

Welcome Zephyrine

update:

so new with me I'm moving back to colorado here in a few weeks and i am so excited it was time for me to make a decision for what i needed in my life in the moment not just in the long term of things. I'm getting an apartment with one of my really good girlfriends and i'm super excited i plan on moving up there as soon as i can find a car to buy which is definitely turning into a hassle.
on another note i started dating this guy who is definitely a cutie i'll post a picture here soon. at the moment i'm not sure if its going to turn into a super serious relationship but it is nice to be having sex again and he's a super sweetheart he came down from CO (4 hours) just to spend one day with me for my birthday last friday so he's a keeper for the moment. other than that not much else is going on. just living each day..day by day

User Tag List