Military Moms - Jan-Feb '09! - Page 38 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1111 of 1125 Old 02-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
That makes sense, I'm going to have him talk to the finance folks.
Yeah, I'd do that. Even if you decide you want to leave it NC, I'd want to know how and why it was changed without your knowledge or permission. You'll definitely need to know when it was changed.

I was thinking about what I said about getting that one last move to your home of record when you get out of the military. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes. Some military members move to different states for jobs when they get out. Wouldn't the military move them there rather than back to their home of record so that they'd have to move everything again themselves? Seems to me it makes more sense that you get one move anywhere. What do y'all think?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1112 of 1125 Old 02-23-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Yeah, I'd do that. Even if you decide you want to leave it NC, I'd want to know how and why it was changed without your knowledge or permission. You'll definitely need to know when it was changed.

I was thinking about what I said about getting that one last move to your home of record when you get out of the military. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes. Some military members move to different states for jobs when they get out. Wouldn't the military move them there rather than back to their home of record so that they'd have to move everything again themselves? Seems to me it makes more sense that you get one move anywhere. What do y'all think?
It didn't apply to us for moving to NC, I don't know about moving from. When DH was at BOLC3 we lived in Arizona with all of our stuff in storage in NY. Once we got to NC, we ended up having the big things we took to Arizona moved to NC, in addition to the stuff in storage in NY. So they moved us from two different places and it wasn't an issue.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#1113 of 1125 Old 02-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
It didn't apply to us for moving to NC, I don't know about moving from. When DH was at BOLC3 we lived in Arizona with all of our stuff in storage in NY. Once we got to NC, we ended up having the big things we took to Arizona moved to NC, in addition to the stuff in storage in NY. So they moved us from two different places and it wasn't an issue.
I think it might be a bit different when it's the military moving you from one duty station to another vs. moving you to a permanent home after you have separated from the military.

Let me know what you find out about the state residency stuff. I really want to know how it was changed without your knowledge.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#1114 of 1125 Old 02-23-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think it might be a bit different when it's the military moving you from one duty station to another vs. moving you to a permanent home after you have separated from the military.

Let me know what you find out about the state residency stuff. I really want to know how it was changed without your knowledge.
As do I, I have a sneaking suspicion that it happened when he got promoted and someone entered the information. Now that I think of it, my IL's were Maine residents until they bought their current house. The Army moved them to a rental house in NY after my FIL retired. Once they bought their house last year they became NY residents.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#1115 of 1125 Old 02-23-2010, 06:53 PM

Hi ladies. Can anyone help me out. We will be doing our first PCS to Fort Campbell within 4 weeks. I am trying to find information about birth options in the area. I saw that BACH has 4 CNMs on staff. Do you know if I can choose one as my primary provider or do they just give you a random person. If I get a doctor instead is there any that are more natural birth friendly. Do you know of any doulas in the area. I will be ge getting there when I am about 34 to 35 weeks along. I will know no one and only God knows if I will go into labor on a day that my husband can be there.
#1116 of 1125 Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingforbaby View Post
Do you know of any doulas in the area. I will be ge getting there when I am about 34 to 35 weeks along. I will know no one and only God knows if I will go into labor on a day that my husband can be there.
I don't know anything about that MTF. However, there is a program where doulas offer their services for free to women who's military spouse is not home. I'm not sure if it's just during deployment or if it's for any work-related reason. I can't remember the name of the program now. Sorry. I bet if you search one of the larger doula certification organizations you can find info about it.

When I was at Tripler AMC in 2003-04, they had a program they called continuity care. You could choose a specific provider and, if that provider agreed, they would be your primary care provider. All your appointments would be with that person unless s/he was unavailable. I don't know if all the MTFs had such programs or if they are still going on. It's worth a shot to ask. I'm sure you can at least ask to be seen by the CNMs.

#1117 of 1125 Old 02-23-2010, 08:52 PM

Thank you Marinewife. I just sent an email to Operation Special Delivery.
#1118 of 1125 Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingforbaby View Post
Thank you Marinewife. I just sent an email to Operation Special Delivery.
Yeah, that's what it is!

#1119 of 1125 Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Ok, I gotta ask, being from the area. What's so great about Quantico? That's one place I really don't want to go. Maybe it's just because I've btdt.
It's our top pick b/c it's non-deployable for DH & we would love to visit all the historical sites nearby. But it is more or less a process of elimination & it comes out on top b/c of the negatives associated w/the other options. We really can't wait until we can head back home for retirement.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#1120 of 1125 Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Ok, I gotta ask, being from the area. What's so great about Quantico? That's one place I really don't want to go. Maybe it's just because I've btdt.
I'm probably not qualified to answer this since I haven't actually lived out there yet, but here's why I'm excited.....

I'm from Phoenix, AZ which is a pretty big city. I lived there for 23 years and still never ran out of things to do. I'm currently stuck in New Bern, NC (husband is assigned to MCAS Cherry Point) which is about the size of my thumb. The most "upscale" place to shop here is probably Target if that tells you anything. I ran out of things to do the first month we lived out here and that was after driving out to Jacksonville (LeJeune area) and Morehead City. Some people love living in a small town, but it's not for me.

We just spent the last 4 days in VA and it's much more like home to me. A bit more historical, but it seems like there is a ton of stuff to do out there. At the very least they actually have real malls, haha. I also have some family in Fairfax so that's a plus.

From what I've seen of the base, it looks pretty nice and so does the housing. I'm sure there are downsides to it just like anywhere else, but I'm trying to be optimistic

Sarah B~ Proud Marine Wife, mama of two girlshomebirth.jpg!

#1121 of 1125 Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
It's our top pick b/c it's non-deployable for DH & we would love to visit all the historical sites nearby. But it is more or less a process of elimination & it comes out on top b/c of the negatives associated w/the other options. We really can't wait until we can head back home for retirement.
Yea my husband doesn't have a ton of options. He can go to MCAS Miramar, MCAS Cherry Point (which we are currently at and not thrilled with it), or Quantico. We wouldn't have minded Miramar because we have friends out there and family close in AZ, but his assignment at Quantico is going to give him some great experience.

#1122 of 1125 Old 02-24-2010, 02:07 PM

I'm glad I asked because it gives me a different perspective. There is a lot to do just a short drive away (if you don't count the traffic). I grew up in Fairfax (Vienna, technically, but it's all kind of the same) so all those museums and historical sites were taken for granted. We went on field trips to them every year in school. After a while, it all gets old. Actually, it's kind of funny but one of the stipulations to me agreeing to my dh joining the Marines was that he take me away from there. I do like to take my kids to the Smithsonian whenever we visit. My family is there so we can go pretty much whenever we want.

My dh has told me the billets there are non-deployable. I've also heard they work such long hours that they aren't home much, either. Of course, coming home almost every night even if it is only for a few hours is better than not coming home for months.

Have you all looked into housing in the area? Are you planning to live on or off base? I'm curious what the homes and towns are like right around Quantico. Stafford was the country when I was growing up. There wasn't anything there but farms.

#1123 of 1125 Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:

My dh has told me the billets there are non-deployable. I've also heard they work such long hours that they aren't home much, either. Of course, coming home almost every night even if it is only for a few hours is better than not coming home for months.

Have you all looked into housing in the area? Are you planning to live on or off base? I'm curious what the homes and towns are like right around Quantico. Stafford was the country when I was growing up. There wasn't anything there but farms.
Your DH is correct (at least about the squadron that my husband is going to). He won't be deploying, but he will be traveling quite a lot. From what we were told, he could be gone up to two weeks out of each month and sometimes he'll only be given a few hours notice that he's leaving. So there are downsides to it.

You would probably be surprised if you saw Stafford today! There is all kinds of housing. We looked at one detached house and a couple of townhomes all in Stafford. We also liked the area because there were plenty of places to shop and a lot of restaurants. It's not a HUGE city, but there is definitely more out there than there is here in New Bern!

#1124 of 1125 Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb918 View Post
You would probably be surprised if you saw Stafford today! There is all kinds of housing. We looked at one detached house and a couple of townhomes all in Stafford. We also liked the area because there were plenty of places to shop and a lot of restaurants. It's not a HUGE city, but there is definitely more out there than there is here in New Bern!
I know there's more housing in Stafford. Last time I was there was in 2002. My stepsister's uncle is a retired Marine and we visited their home there once, which was nice. I didn't check out all the neighborhoods, though, so I didn't get a sense of what the community was like. I'd guess one thing that's nice about Stafford is that you can get a larger home for less than in the Fairfax area. I wonder what Fredericksburg, Dale City and Woodbridge are like. There are lots of restaurants and shops in Fredericksburg, which is close by. Dale City and Woodbridge are closer to DC. Also, southern Alexandria might be more affordable, although some of the areas are sketchy. You'd be going against traffic going to and from Quantico so the commute wouldn't be quite as bad. I think it's only about 20-30 minutes without traffic. Fredericksburg would having you going with traffic but it might not be too bad that far south yet. I do know that a lot of people who work in the Fairfax/DC area live in or near Fredericksburg so there's still a bit of traffic. There's also the VRE train and metro close by. I think VRE actually stops right at Quantico.

#1125 of 1125 Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

New thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page