Military Moms - Jan-Feb '09! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2009, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy new year mamas! I wish you all the best and much prosperity, health, and happiness! Here's to this year being better than the last!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 09:04 PM

Happy New Year!!

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

So now I really need some advice. DH is deploying for sure between April-June, there is no doubt about it. This babe is due at the end of May, and if luck is on our side we can keep him here until just after this babe is born. I'm already having a post-partum doula so that will be a giant help, but for everyday life I'm wondering how I'm going to survive with a newborn and a very high-energy toddler. How I'm going to get everyday things like grocery shopping done I have no idea, its already hard enough with just one. Has anyone been through raising a new baby on their own for the first year in addition to other young children? Do you have tips for saving my sanity?

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 01-03-2009, 02:49 AM

Hi Ladies!

I am new to these boards and would like to join you. My name is Billie Jo and we are a Marine family currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan. DH and I have 2 DDs together, Mireille who is 5 and Melinda who is 3, and a third DD on the way (EDD 4 March 09).
Old 01-04-2009, 02:58 AM

Happy New Year!

Today was a really hard day for me. DH is on mission and I really want/need to talk to him. I got an email this morning at 1 am so that was nice. So much for things calming down for him.

to all.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
Old 01-04-2009, 05:14 AM

Happy New Year everyone!

Welcome Billie Jo!

Katie, I didn't have two when DS was born but DH was deployed... what saved me was having a lot of food cooked in the freezer and a lot of things in the fridge and pantry that required little to no cooking. The last thing I wanted to do was cook and since it was just me it was super easy to take something out of the freezer and heat it up.

I relied a lot on my friends out here, too.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 AM

I have to second what Kristen said about the meals. Our first deployment I was pregnant with DD2 (DH came home 10 days after I delivered). DD1 was 18 months when he left and I was still active duty.

When I would feel like cooking I would make double batches and freeze 1/2 for later. This was a godsend on those days where I just didn't want to do anything.

Grocery shopping is ahole other thing. Do you have a friend nearby? My friend and I would either take turns doing our shopping while the other would watch the kids or we would all go together and I would help keep an eye on her kids while she would help with mine. Also my MIL did fly out to help and left a few days after DH got home. If there a family member that can come and help you for a while?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info ladies. I plan to do a lot of freezer meals like I did last time so I know that will be a big help. The friend thing is kind of a weird situation right now. I've become the resident weirdo I guess to all of my neighbors because I cloth diaper and own a cloth diapering business and apparently all of my other parenting choices like breastfeeding are strange as well, I'm "that mom" to avoid supposedly. I do not fit into this role very well and I can't fake it well enough to play the game in order to have friends I guess. I don't have any family members who can help out for an extended period of time, my IL's work full-time and the only person I'm in contact with on my side of the family is my brother. At this point I'm just trying to find as many short cuts as I can and make do.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 AM

I don't know if Bragg still does it but you may want to check the CDC. I know most bases have started implementing a certain number of free childcare hours a month (usually 10) for spouses of deployed service members. You could utilize that for some of your shopping trips. Though you would have to know in advance when you want to go and pretty much make sure to do your shopping during the week.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 PM

DH heads out for Air Force Basic Training next week...then I'll OFFICIALLY be a military mom! :

Good God, though, I'm going to miss him.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 01-06-2009, 01:45 PM

Hey ladies can I join in? My husband is in the Navy. We have a little one due in May and are doing our first PCS in June. I am feeling very over whelmed right now!

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 PM

scary, we are leaving the base to go on recruiting duty - in lincoln, NE with no base for 60 miles- what will I do with no military housing- gonna be a change- baby # 4 on the way and I want another homebirt, turns out the only 2 states not allowing is NE and Wisc.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemoore27 View Post
scary, we are leaving the base to go on recruiting duty - in lincoln, NE with no base for 60 miles- what will I do with no military housing- gonna be a change- baby # 4 on the way and I want another homebirt, turns out the only 2 states not allowing is NE and Wisc.
There may be some underground midwives who can attend you, or midwives who travel from out of state. Check the local FYT forum for the area you're moving to.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyofalmost6 View Post
Hey ladies can I join in? My husband is in the Navy. We have a little one due in May and are doing our first PCS in June. I am feeling very over whelmed right now!
Welcome!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 AM

katie~ you can always make a non military friend and sign them in! they may like getting cheaper food from the commissary (if thats where you go obviously this is easier!) and still get the help you need while they get the chance to shop on base. if they use cash it should work fairly easily.

i did all the shopping with the kids when they were little although dh was home i took them with me a lot. its practice either way. good luck
Old 01-07-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
So now I really need some advice. DH is deploying for sure between April-June, there is no doubt about it. This babe is due at the end of May, and if luck is on our side we can keep him here until just after this babe is born. I'm already having a post-partum doula so that will be a giant help, but for everyday life I'm wondering how I'm going to survive with a newborn and a very high-energy toddler. How I'm going to get everyday things like grocery shopping done I have no idea, its already hard enough with just one. Has anyone been through raising a new baby on their own for the first year in addition to other young children? Do you have tips for saving my sanity?
My advice is sling baby and pop toddler in cart so you have both hands We are up to baby number 6. I still hate taking all of the kids to the store with me but it is manageable. It will take come trial and error for you to figure out what works best but it will be ok. I remember when I wasnt from one to two and I was like how do I do this? Natural reaction I think.

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemoore27 View Post

Its definately a change!! We're living it right now, my DH began in Sept. so we're still pretty new in it ourselves. We've got 3 kids and one car and it hasn't been easy. Especially since there's no bus system here.lol

I don't like being off base really but we do what we gotta do, right?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyofalmost6 View Post
My advice is sling baby and pop toddler in cart so you have both hands We are up to baby number 6. I still hate taking all of the kids to the store with me but it is manageable. It will take come trial and error for you to figure out what works best but it will be ok. I remember when I wasnt from one to two and I was like how do I do this? Natural reaction I think.
I can usually get 5 minutes out of DS in the cart before he's screaming to be free and running around and destroying things, hopefully that will change once the new baby arrives but I'm not counting on it. I honestly don't get any shopping done with him at the grocery store now unless DH is there to follow him around or take him out of the store if he needs to. This applies to all other outings as well. He really isn't manageable, that's why I'm having somewhat of a breakdown right now

Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I can usually get 5 minutes out of DS in the cart before he's screaming to be free and running around and destroying things, hopefully that will change once the new baby arrives but I'm not counting on it. I honestly don't get any shopping done with him at the grocery store now unless DH is there to follow him around or take him out of the store if he needs to. This applies to all other outings as well. He really isn't manageable, that's why I'm having somewhat of a breakdown right now
Your DS sounds like exactly like mine in a shopping cart. I bring in quite a bit of food and water when we shop and I pretty much bribe him the whole time with that. If I shop quickly I can usually finish right as the food is running out.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:29 PM

I am sooo not above bribery in the store when I have to get stuff done lol. I have a little one that was like that. I got a soft back pack that I put on him and could hold on to.. he could walk but not run off and I could get stuff done. I used to hand him things in boxes and what not that he could put in the cart too. Keeping him busy seemed to help. He is 2 1/2 now and will walk nicely in the store so keep faith he will out grow it

Old 01-09-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
My advice would be to find a high school kid (I am not gender specific )to watch your toddler. My kids love the attention from the sitter, the sitter loves the extra money, and I love the time at the store with just the new baby. Also I agree with PP to look into the CDC's give parents a break program. At my base its only 1 Saturday a month so its not too practical for grocery shopping.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:13 AM

I have a question about on base housing...am I allowed to paint or do other decorative things like that? (interior)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 01-10-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post

Good God, though, I'm going to miss him.
You will - but your love will get you thorough - welcome to the tribe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlne View Post
I don't like being off base really but we do what we gotta do, right?
We really are all different - living on base scares me to no end!

Quote:
I have a question about on base housing...am I allowed to paint or do other decorative things like that? (interior)
You CAN but you'll have to paint it white when you leave, just like a rental.

Out here on the island we are doing well. Daddy is "home" if working 12+ hours a day 6 days a week count.

I do love the friends I've made through the FRG - I found one homebirther and some extended nursers which makes me smile, it's so rare for me not to be the "odd lady" who has "only" one child, who had a natural birth, etc. etc. etc.

Anyone have GOOD FRG experiences - ie. ideas that I can use with ours? We are doing a bake sale soon, other ideas out there?

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

DH is gone until the end of the month for JRTC. We also found out he's changing jobs but its not going to change his deployment status. DS is just starting to get over a cold, the same one I had around Christmas. Now he's given it back to me, not the kind of sharing I can appreciate.

Living on-post is definitely a big change. I'm used to having more privacy and everything but we're getting used to it. There are a lot of benefits, like saving money and being closer to everything. More activities to do and such.

Kailua - I don't have any suggestions for FRG. Mine is just starting to get more active now that we're gearing up for deployment, I'm thinking about volunteering for a position though I don't know how much time I'd be able to dedicate to it in addition to running my business and taking care of kidlets. Ours just did a sale of really nice baskets, bracelets, and wine/labels.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:01 AM

Hello all! I'm an ex-AF mama married to another airman getting ready to PCS but waiting for orders. *sigh* He's in a refresher course and graduates in Feb and we have no clue where we're going (unless one considers the fact that there are only a handful of places we can be stationed to begin with). Anyway, I'm an AF brat too...so I suppose the military is in my blood.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:29 AM
Banned

Can I join?
SO and I where planning on getting married in Oct. then little bean decided she wanted to make an appearence. Me being the vein D-O that I am, I refuse to be any bigger than a size 8 for my wedding day. Being that I was 9 months preg. for my first marriage.
SO/BD is in the Navy and station on Coronado Island till July, after that we are hoping for orders to Point Magu. I don't want to leave my home state of Ca.
So do I qualify?
Old 01-10-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome psychethemuse and ChichosMama!

psychethemuse - I was just in your shoes over the summer, except my DH is Army. I hope you're able to find out where you're heading soon!

ChichosMama - I'd say you qualify, you pay your dues one way or another whether you're married or not. Welcome to the group

Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You have to paint it back before you leave. I really want to paint DS's room, but I am trying to decide if it will be worth it. It's hard when you don't know how long you will be staying somewhere.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:51 PM

Hi everyone! Just wanted to pop in and say hi... DH just got back from his/our first deployment so we are just adjusting to having him home. It is nice though, especially since DS has finally figure out that he likes him Not much else going on here... trying to figure out how on EARTH I am going to handle 2 babies 13-14 months apart without my head exploding...

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 01-10-2009, 05:02 PM

Hey Everyone!!!

I'm so happy to see other military mamas on here!! My DH is in the Marines, we're currently stationed at 29 Palms, but live off base in Joshua Tree (don't like base housing). We have one daughter who is almost 5 (on the 15th!), and one on the way due in July!!

My DH is in school (again), so no deployments for him thank goodness. I wish I knew more about having a home birth-- I've been trying now (for 3 weeks) to get an appointment at the Naval Hospital on base, but since they seem so hesitant to give me an appointment (I now FINALLY have one), I'm wondering if it would be easier to do something else. Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for getting to do a homebirth and just have a midwife?

Thanks all- and I'm so glad to be here!!

User Tag List