I was born in the 70s Tribe.. a revival! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3 4 
Finding Your Tribe > I was born in the 70s Tribe.. a revival!
Kidzaplenty's Avatar Kidzaplenty 06:19 PM 03-10-2009
I am old enought to have BTDT to most anything I can think of regarding parenting, but young eoungh to teast my Hubby about him being alive before I was born! (Like the picture of him the children found the other day, taken before I was born.)

My children think it is crazy that when I was a child we did not have TV (my parents thought it was evil). And we did not listen to the radio. Yes, it was like I was on a deserted island!

Life is sure different for my children. But I have tried to keep the good and get rid of the bad.

SeekingSerenity's Avatar SeekingSerenity 04:26 PM 03-11-2009
Hi Jenny!! I remember you from the July 2008 DDC!

That's wild that you didn't have a TV. I remember friends who didn't have one. We had several but I recall that it was the mid-80s before we had something called "cable." For something like $50 a month we got 10 extra channels!!! LOL
Kidzaplenty's Avatar Kidzaplenty 05:36 PM 03-11-2009
"Those were the days", when you had just a few channels and paid a bit extra for some "special" channels. Of course, I never even knew about anything but rabbit ears until the mid '80's.

I still find it a bit funny when my Hubby starts talking about a 70's TV program and I have no idea what he is referring to!
earth_mommy's Avatar earth_mommy 03:12 PM 04-02-2009
I was born in 1971

I had a BeeGees transister radio, and it was cool!

I had an autographed baseball from Mickey Mantel - when baseball players didn't need to take drugs to play *oops, was that my outloud voice??*

I remember black and white TV.

I remember having to get up to change the five channels we were able to get with the rabbit ears.
PGTlatte's Avatar PGTlatte 06:25 PM 04-02-2009
Remember the little round UHF antenna ? To get the channels with higher numbers ?
Whistler's Avatar Whistler 06:28 PM 04-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by llp34 View Post
Remember the little round UHF antenna ? To get the channels with higher numbers ?
Remember?? We still use those

Or we will until PBS goes digital!

Born in 1977 here. Yep, I was an 80's girl too. A funny thing, I lived in Fresno, CA when pegged jeans and rolled socks were in. Then in 1988 we moved back to Idaho and the girls here were like "Look, I gotta show you this brand-new thing!" and they pegged their jeans. It made me laugh.
KarlaC's Avatar KarlaC 12:42 AM 04-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by llp34 View Post
Haha yeah, I had one on my very own 13"(maybe smaller?) black & white tv in my room...I was spoiled

Well for where we lived I was, but then again we only got 2 channels without that antenna).

Born in 1973 & grew up in the middle of nowhere. When I was 10 & we moved to the city I suddenly found out about this great new thing people had..'mtv'.

I missed ever seeing the Thriller video until about 3 years ago though We didn't have the $ for cable until I was in my late 20's.
caned & able's Avatar caned & able 12:55 AM 04-06-2009
December 1977

Hello Kitty
Strawberry Shortcake
Ninja Turtles
Valleyisms
Michael J. Fox
MTV
Jelly shoes
those plastic bracelets
VHS
Amys1st's Avatar Amys1st 12:57 PM 04-08-2009
remember when Mtv showed videos??
katmann's Avatar katmann 08:07 PM 04-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
remember when Mtv showed videos??
Barely...

August 1979. I remember when Mario Lopez was on KIDS Incorporated (before Saved by the Bell). My first two cassette tapes were Madonna's Like a Virgin and the Beastie Boys' Licensed to Ill. Also slap bracelets.

And how could I have forgotten my two favorite shows in Nickelodeon: Dangermouse and You Can't Do That On Television
Cascia's Avatar Cascia 05:00 PM 04-29-2009
I was born in 1978. So I guess I was really a child of the eighties.
CalmCenter's Avatar CalmCenter 09:38 PM 04-29-2009
born in 1973

I remember Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan, blowdrying her armpits in a public bathroom in the first scene. It was so utterly cool! and inspired me to grow my underarm hair later in life!
circle vortex's Avatar circle vortex 10:27 PM 04-29-2009
I was born 19673.
I remember songs... got a pocket full of money and headed to arcade. dirty laundry.. we are family, I remember singing and making up dance routines

remember feather hair clips. ( my mom took mine away cause she went to community meeting and they told her they were for drugs)

pack man fever
christyc's Avatar christyc 06:18 PM 04-30-2009
Born in 1975.

My first two single play records were Come On Eileen and Mr. Roboto.
Amys1st's Avatar Amys1st 07:17 PM 11-11-2009
I do this every year but this year is special! The 70s will have ended 30 years ago this New Years.
So if you were born in 79, congrats on turning 30 this year!
if you were born in 70, congrats on that "almost 40" yr mark!

Start by introducing yourself, the year you were born, and mention some of the items, history events, or the "way things were" while we were growing up, teens, and becoming adults...

Such as, I was born in Dec 1971.
I remember watching Sesame Street and the characters holding a cigarette. I also remember all the moms on my block smoking at the kitchen table with coffee. They all were home and we all were all over the neighborhood with all their kids as well.
I remember riding in the back of a pickup truck was a treat, not a death wish or bad parent-which surely is mind you!
I remember the station wagon my Dad bought in 76 and driving to florida to visit the grandparents. They put the seat "down" in the back, we got our bed pillows, took off our shoes and off we drove to FL.
I remember CocaCola came in 8 16 oz bottles but still lasted all week or month in the pantry. It had real sugar in it.
I remember our TV was a huge huge box we put plants on top of and it had about 12 channels including the UHF channels.
I remember wanting designer jeans in the 4th grade. The Guess jeans in 8th and high school.
I remember wearing my hair high high and spraying it with Aqua Net.
I remember when the Thriller album came out and the moon walk was done by Michael Jackson, not Neil Armstrong..

So add your own!
mae14's Avatar mae14 04:44 AM 11-12-2009
Nov 14 1979.

I remember neon clothing and the side knot on the t shirt
crimped hair
club monaco sweatshirts

these are mostly from the 80's......
Starflower's Avatar Starflower 05:28 AM 11-12-2009
I was born in 1970.

I remember my mom used to keep a can of bacon grease on the stove to use for frying other things or in recipes in place of shortening - until my grandpa had a heart attack.

My dad had to take a pay cut because the economy was bad, but he was just glad to still have a job.

When we went to the gas station, we couldn't pump our own gas. Instead, someone would come out and fill the car up and check the oil.

We used cash or checks. I remember being told in school that one day people wouldn't even need to use cash because they would have special plastic cards that would track one's bank account. I thought that sounded a little scary.

The year 2000 seemed like a very long way away. We thought we'd have flying cars by then.

We had a big TV in a wooden case with wooden legs. We only got a few channels. And we used to get in trouble if we cranked the dial around too fast trying to change them. We mostly only watched cartoons on Saturday mornings. When we got older, we watched things like "Magnum PI" with Mom and Dad.

I remember not being able to sleep one night and smelling popcorn. I headed upstairs and my dad let me sit on his lap while "Saturday Night Live" was on. It was the one with the 50 Food President skit where President Carter got nuclear contamination when someone spilled a Pepsi at Three Mile Island.

Sesame Street: Snuffelufugus was just in Big Bird's imagination. Elmo did not exist. Mr. Hooper was still alive and well and ran the store. Bob and Maria and Gordon were young and none of them had kids.

We watched the first broadcast of MTV.

Our first brand-new car was a Datsun 210 wagon. I always thought it smelled funny.

I remember having all my clothes made by my mother until I was in about 5th grade or so.

We drove everywhere without seatbelts or airbags. On long trips, we'd put the seats down and lay in the back and color and do puzzles and stuff. My brother and I each had our "side" of the car with our territory marked by blankets.

Our house had golden curtains and shag carpet until we remodeled in the 80s.

We made lots of macrame: plant holders to Christmas ornaments. My mom made macrame valences for her room using avocado green twine and big wooden beads. It hung there until the sun bleached it to beige before she changed it out.

I wore clogs for a time in grade school. Then jelly shoes in jr high.

In high school, my current events teacher said to us that Gorbachev could just disappear from power one day. Then he did.

The maps all had East Germany and West Germany and the USSR. They changed all the names on the maps of China while I was school.

I remember crying while watching the people chipping away at the Berlin Wall.

We watched the first space shuttle landing on a TV at school.

I was home sick the day the Challenger blew up. I was also home sick when President Reagan was shot.

My cousins had an 8-track player and I collected vinyl records until they were hard to find. I had some cassettes but the records were better. I remember when CDs were totally new.

We didn't have a VCR. We used to rent one and rent some movies in high school. My friend's dad got a Beta video player and then after awhile he couldn't rent movies anymore to fit into it. He was the first guy I knew who had a computer and a CD player too.

Pong was cool. Loved PacMan, too. My friends had an Atari.

I remember when Domino's Pizza first came to our town.

We used to go roller skating all the time - at home and on the rink. I had a purple and black outfit (yes, with leg warmers) I got for Christmas and used to wear it while skating to Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust."

I have been feeling very much like I am pushing forty lately, so this has been kind of fun.
purslaine's Avatar purslaine 06:21 PM 11-12-2009
I was born in February 1972

I remember chocolate bars and chips and cokes costing a quarter. I have vague memories of them costing 10 cents.

I remember teens smoking in the highschool. That ended the year I started.

I got 6 channels on a good day - and it often involved doing a little dance with rabbit ears.

I remember nasty inflation in the late 70's and crippling unemployment in the 80's Even worse unemployment than there is now in this area.

I remember Hostages, Reagan and the shuttle blowing up.

I rember pong! And vic 20 and Atari....

I remember 8 tracks

I remember big hair, leg warmers, and wearing 3 shades of eyeshadow at a time

I remember party lines on telephones

Kathy
mlh's Avatar mlh 02:22 PM 11-13-2009
This is fun reading through these!
I was born in 76

I also remember smoking being so normal. My mom would smoke on airplanes, which just seems so weird now.

Leg warmers!
Lots of hairspray and big bangs
Smurfs and The Jetsons
bermuda shorts
Redheaded_Momma's Avatar Redheaded_Momma 03:04 PM 11-13-2009
Smoking everywhere!! I just found a Sept. 1977 issue of Ladies Home Journal and there were cigarette ads on every other page?!?!?!

Mostly remember stuff from the 80s though.
Our first VCR and karoke machine
Neon clothes
I still have a Pepsi can with the Jackson's signatures on it
Getting Prince's Purple Rain & Cyndi Lauper and Michael Jackson albums for Christmas one year
Strawberry Shortcake dolls
Going to the grocery store and buying bottles of coke from a machine (cost $0.25)
Amys1st's Avatar Amys1st 05:52 PM 11-15-2009
I remember in the early 80s talking about magazine ads in school. There was a cigarette ad on every other page because you could not advertise on TV.
I think it was the same w liquor but I know it was tobacco for sure.

One xmas we got the Thriller album, Cyndi Lauper album and Duran Duran.
Turquesa's Avatar Turquesa 10:29 PM 11-15-2009
Great thread!

I was born in 1975.

There was no such thing as Starbucks. Everybody drank that gack-awful Maxwell House brewed in the Mr. Coffee.

They drank it in styrofoam cups because that material wasn't yet taboo.

The environmental movement wasn't strong, and it was considered cool and rebellious to litter out the car window. (OK, maybe that's just how it was growing up in Redneck Country. )

We used pay phones. They were everywhere, and they cost a dime per call.

We traded Garbage Pail Kids cards. The enclosed gum was rock hard and tasted terrible, but we chewed it anyway.

"YM" stood for "Young Miss" Magazine.

My little brother and I got up at 6am to catch the first of the Saturday morning cartoons. The Smurfs were our favorite.

We traveled with CB radios, not cell phones.

Car phones were gigantic and extremely rare; we only saw really rich people use them in the movies.

All of our appliances--e.g. dishwasher, microwave, washer, and dryer--required you to crank a dial to operate them.

"Microwave cookery" was the rage.

Hard exercise was called "high-impact aerobics." We did it while wearing leotards and tights, and we spoke of "feeling the burn" and "no pain, no gain." Jane Fonda and Suzanne Somers come to mind... We counted calories instead of fat grams or carbs.

You could walk on and off airplanes with little to no security. Kids could go visit the cockpit. Family and loved ones could meet you at the gate immediately after you got off the plane.

Hope and Beau were on again, off again.

With no email, texting, or twittering, we youngins resorted to surreptitious communication...passing each other hand-written notes fancily folded with a little tab that read "pull here."

The New Coke was a failed experiment.

And by the way, where's the beef?
Starflower's Avatar Starflower 11:54 PM 11-15-2009
Quote:

One xmas we got the Thriller album, Cyndi Lauper album and Duran Duran.
I had a huge thing for Duran Duran until they started switching members around. I did like Arcadia though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
Great thread!

And by the way, where's the beef?
Ack! New Coke was so nasty!

Where's the beef? We loved those commercials!
babycarrier's Avatar babycarrier 01:19 AM 11-16-2009
January 74
I laughed while reading - thanks for the memories.

Friendship pins
pegged pants
Blondie album
Learning to type on a typewriter
a suitcase of legos and sleeping bags in the back of the station wagon with the folded down seat for road trips.
drive - in movies
collecting stickers and garbage pail kids cards
jelly shoes
jelly bracelets
hair ribbon barrettes
wicked awesome
curling iron and aussie hair products
green/blue mascara
rotary phones
getting the cool cable package with 13 channels on the dial
our first apple 2c and the modem where you put the hand receiver in the modem.
Wham! and George Michael
spruce's Avatar spruce 04:07 AM 11-16-2009
Wow, good ones.

January 72.

Breakdancing at lunchtime.

My mom made our clothes, with really loud patterns (trains, teddies, etc), unless we got them at KMart. Plain pocket jeans.

Jelly shoes, parachute pants, my first boyfriend was black (I am white).

We were military, I had that asinine little red lunch card that said we were poor...we ate tuna everything at dinner for months, then hamburger for months after that.

There was no-label stuff at the Commissary that said "unknown vegetable" and we bought it. My mom bought beer that came in a white can with black letters that said "BEER" for my dad, who was almost never home.

When he was home, one time he took us on a "field trip" to the Olympia Brewery. They gave us Dixie cups of beer.

My mom got a cheerio perm when I was about in 3rd grade. I didn't know who she was when I got to my yard...asked her if she knew where my mother might be. Her hair had been in the middle of her back, and all of a sudden it was these tiny little "O's"!

I remember staying home sick from school and reading 8 Nancy Drews in one day.

Cindy Lauper, Madonna's first MTV video, Thriller, growing up Jedi, Strawberry Shortcake, the first roller blades, and waterbeds.

P
spruce's Avatar spruce 04:09 AM 11-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmlife View Post
Learning to type on a typewriterl

Oh yes! I remember sleeping and waking up "typing" in my sleep...or I'd be bored and I'd type out everything on my imaginary typewriter. I think I skivved off of 1/3 my typing classes in freshman year, but I passed with an A because I was a compulsive typist!
Amys1st's Avatar Amys1st 02:48 PM 11-16-2009
-There was no such thing as Starbucks. Everybody drank that gack-awful Maxwell House brewed in the Mr. Coffee.
EWWWWWWW! blue can! I filled it with crayons! I wanted one for my kids so I swiped my parents or IL's Hill's bros can!

The environmental movement wasn't strong, and it was considered cool and rebellious to litter out the car window. (OK, maybe that's just how it was growing up in Redneck Country. )
Did you see Woodsie Owl on Tv? Give a hoot, dont pollute!
But then again, driving down to Fl in our station wagon we also kept the porto potty. After my sister used it, my dad would roll down the window and fling the contents out of the window.

We traded Garbage Pail Kids cards. The enclosed gum was rock hard and tasted terrible, but we chewed it anyway.
remember achne Amy?

All of our appliances--e.g. dishwasher, microwave, washer, and dryer--required you to crank a dial to operate them.
and they were HUGE and took up a gormuormous amount of space.

You could walk on and off airplanes with little to no security. Kids could go visit the cockpit. Family and loved ones could meet you at the gate immediately after you got off the plane.

You could also, if you had to get something somewhere quick, go to the gate and tell the stewardess you want her to give this package to someone at the arrival city. "did anyone you dont know give you something to carry?"

Hope and Beau were on again, off again.
they were hot

With no email, texting, or twittering, we youngins resorted to surreptitious communication...passing each other hand-written notes fancily folded with a little tab that read "pull here."
Like your friend didnt know DUH. I wonder if I can still fold something like that.

Big time.
Amys1st's Avatar Amys1st 02:53 PM 11-16-2009
Have to add:

Remember when panty hose came in an egg? Who didnt take those and have boobs??

If you had two, then you can have even boobs and your neighbor could have the smaller boobs.

Bad fashion mistakes:
Huge huge shoulder pads. Why?
rebok high tops.
Frankie Say....
flash dance tops. But first you had to take your bra off while still wearing the shirt. That is the biggest turn on for DH.
2 tone jeans.
Hammer pants.

Who took their rubuks cube apart and "solved" it? OR did you buy the book like my dork brother and solve it?
Starflower's Avatar Starflower 07:58 PM 11-16-2009
Quote:
Have to add:

Remember when panty hose came in an egg? Who didnt take those and have boobs??

If you had two, then you can have even boobs and your neighbor could have the smaller boobs.

We did this. I had big fuzzy puffballs with bells on them to tie onto my roller skates. These made excellent boobs too - the bells were like nipples. Double

Quote:
Have to add:
Bad fashion mistakes:

Frankie Say....
RELAX! I think had had that button....

Quote:
Have to add:
flash dance tops. But first you had to take your bra off while still wearing the shirt.
I still do this all the time, but mostly because I'm lazy and I hate bras....though my girl friend and I did do this once as we were walking home from school with a couple of boys....they seemed impressed.

Quote:
Have to add:
Who took their rubuks cube apart and "solved" it?
Taking it apart was the only way I ever solved it! I had a little mini-Rubik's cube on a chain necklace. It was really easy to get apart. I could only ever get two sides in the right way.
almadianna's Avatar almadianna 01:32 PM 11-17-2009
There were two "I was born in the 70's tribe" so I merged them for you guys.
1  2  3 4 

Up