Introvert Mamas? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#301 of 792 Old 08-20-2009, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to MDC, MollySunshine

MysticMama - I very much can relate to what you said about not easily hitting it off with people.

When I do small talk with people I often feel awkward and a bit dorky - or I feel overly self-aware. I felt this way today at DD's friend's b-day party. But what's really silly is that it's not like these other people I just met were all that interesting either. And it's not even like I wanted to get into a deep conversation with any of these new people, so I don't know why I got worried about it.

I was quiet for a bit, and after awhile, I felt like I should try to join in a conversation. But then I decided that really, I didn't want to be in that conversation. I think a lot of times, I try to act like an extrovert in social situation. In fact, I often feel like I am acting a part in a play as a way to get through these types of interactions.

When I realized I didn't want in on the conversation and instead just felt "obligated" I changed my focus to just watching my DD have fun and catching up with a few people I already knew when they came up to me.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#302 of 792 Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
can i join? i'm such an introvert i might not post much but i would love to be here and not feel so alone in my introvertedness. lately i find myself worrying that i may be to introverted to really be able to homeschool my child but he is still very young so it isn't an issue yet. anyone here super introverted and homeschool?
me! me! I hs my 4 children - ages 2-8 - and am pg w/ #5. hsing DRAINS me - that is why I am here right now looking for others in a similar situation!

: : ::
#303 of 792 Old 08-20-2009, 09:38 PM

Wow, that clears a few things up for me. I've always been hesitant to say if I was introvert/extrovert. Sometimes I feel more like one than the other but right now I feel too drained to deal with any social encounters. So I've been at home today. I'm feeling the introvert side more than usual.
#304 of 792 Old 08-20-2009, 09:40 PM

I totally hear you! If I don't think that I'm "clicking" with someone then I'd rather avoid the awkwardness and just be alone.
#305 of 792 Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 PM

I've heard that people with certain personality types have a higher chance of being picky eaters, and it certainly applies to me. Any other picky eaters?

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#306 of 792 Old 08-21-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer View Post
I've heard that people with certain personality types have a higher chance of being picky eaters, and it certainly applies to me. Any other picky eaters?
this is a great question...wanting to hear the answers : )

dust.gif
#307 of 792 Old 08-21-2009, 01:44 AM

Picky? Me? But of course.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#308 of 792 Old 08-21-2009, 02:49 AM

Our dsl died sometime Friday night and I am just getting back on now.Dh took a couple of extra days off this past week, which at first just made my burnout worseeventually over the course of four days things quieted down and I think I actually got about 30 minutes to myself yesterdayIt was enough for me to make it back to "human".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower View Post
Could your DH take the kids somewhere for a few hours just so you could get a little time to yourself without having to drag yourself to a coffee shop or what-have-you?

I've been begging him, outright, he won't take the hint! He used to do it when they were younger, lately he has been more reluctant and I understand that he is also exhausted...but dang!:

But this is where I get into a problem. The alone-time I do get feels addictive, like I can never get enough.
I know how it can be addictive. I do find that unless I'm completely burnt out(my state last week when I posted) an hour or two really does refresh me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post
I have the option of taking off pretty much whenever I want, with their cheerful encouragement and interest. But I'm a homebody!!! I HATE having to leave my own home to escape the incessant interaction.
Right there with you on that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah smiles View Post
To address the issue of never getting enough time alone to truly recharge, I can honestly say that until dd1 was in school and dd2 was in preschool 3 mornings a week, I always felt hungry for time alone. This summer I had them both in camps every other week because having the both home and having to keep them quiet and/or occupied so my dh can work (he works from home) almost drove me insane the past two summers. With camp and with school/preschool, I can "count" on having that time alone at home (not counting my dh) and that has made a world of difference. A lot of time my bad moods are because I just don't know when I'll get the solitude I crave and I start to worry that it will be never. Now I know.
For me it truly is never, we homeschool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyRev View Post
I think that I can never get enough alone time because it can take me so long to wind down and switch gears. DH works late, my kids are night owls, and we homeschool.
It takes me a lot of time to wind down too(usually shortly before my "time" is up), and yes, yes, yes to all of the above...that's us as well.
#309 of 792 Old 08-21-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella-6 View Post
Thanks for your sharing your thoughts Starflower and Princess ConsuelaB. I can tell from what you wrote, that you got what I was saying from the similar types of things you've experienced. It could well be a HSP thing. Anyways, when I had the US it was good to find out that the baby was happy and healthy in there and that the placenta is well-placed.

Now to mentally prepare for a future new source of activity in the house. I'm slightly in awe of any introvert mama who has learnt how to balance their introversion needs, with raising a family.
Oh I did just wonder one thing, was it one of those ultrasounds that give a 3-D picture? Because I haven't had an ultrasound since I was pregnant with my 7 year old and that was the old kind. I wonder if the "new" kind would make a difference? huh, just pondering...

Congratulations on your baby though:
#310 of 792 Old 08-21-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
A question for my fellow Highly Sensitives: Am I alone in my dislike of roller coasters, scary movies, and kids pushing you REALLY high on the swing when you were little?
I HATE rollercoasters!
Cringe through scary movies.
I don't remember about the swings, I remember swinging pretty high but not anyone pushing me. I liked the merry-go-round too. I do "fall" over when I see heights in movies though.

Quote:
I'm curious: How many of us live in the country for the privacy and to avoid the stimuli of the city? Or want to?
I hate living in the country, hate, hate, hate it...even Boise was too much country...ran away screaming and made dh come with me....but then I grew up in the city. I like living in the city and would like to live in a larger city than I am in, but poor DH would be as nuts as I was in the country. My dh(also introvert) loves the country, the city not so much, but then he grew up in the country.

OTOH even in the city I don't necessarily want to be buzzing around soaking up extravagant overstimulation
#311 of 792 Old 08-21-2009, 06:53 PM

picky eating ... haha. understatement of the century. people ask me what "will" I eat, rather than what i "won't". I try, really, I do try. It's even harder to be a parent when I have all these food issues. I don't want my kids to grow up with the same level of
"ostracized" that I felt regarding food. As an adult, I can deal, but it really sucked as a kid. It doesn't help that we're vegetarian, but about half of our social circle is veg, too.

I tend to stagnate at home. I'd really rather not go anywhere, and it totally drains me to go. However, I would absolutely love having company. I want people to come to me! Well, not 100, but 1-2. I want to live in a communal setting. Someplace with like-minded extroverts who can do the "going" places. But who will also come to me, so I can get my fix on social interaction.

We homeschool BECAUSE of my introversion. I am lazy. I don't want to TAKE my kids to school. I'll do what I have to in order to provide them with a quality education and respond to their needs, but on a much less demanding schedule. It would literally kill me if I had to be in a PTA, but to not be involved in their education would push me over the edge, as well. I've joined 2 homeschool groups this fall, but I can already tell it's going to be tough. Both introductory meetings were overwhelming to me. Too many kids in one place. Time will tell.

--janis
(I have 3 girls - 9, 5, & 7 months)

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#312 of 792 Old 08-21-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit
picky eating ... haha. understatement of the century. people ask me what "will" I eat, rather than what i "won't".
Yeah, I'm the same way. The list of foods I dislike is SO long, and so many of them are *really* common foods that people put in everything, like peppers. I think people find me to be a real pain in the neck. People are always asking me why I say I "can't" eat certain foods and they ask me if I'm allergic. Well, no, I'm not allergic, but it's more than just not caring for it. It's a very strong aversion. I honestly don't think I could keep/get it down.

Quote:
I want to live in a communal setting.
My dream is to have a circle of widely spaced dwellings in the woods, occupied by like-minded folks, with a larger structure in the center. When people want to be alone, they stay in or near their own dwelling. When they want to be with others, they go to the communal structure in the center.

Quote:
We homeschool BECAUSE of my introversion. I am lazy. I don't want to TAKE my kids to school.
I hear you on what a pain in the neck public school is. I thought my life was going to get easier when my oldest started school. Instead it got MORE stressful. I totally freaked out.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#313 of 792 Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 PM

I've had a very draining week here at home. We're having a rather elaborate patio built so I've been dealing with construction noise from early morning to 6pm or so at night. The worst is when they're cutting stone with a saw! : It's so loud that there's really nowhere in the house when I can totally escape it. One week down, two more to go. I almost lost it when my dh informed me that they'll be here on Saturday and Sunday as well. I just need a break from the bustle and noise. *sigh*

On the topic of picky eating, I'm not very picky. I have a stomach of steel, apparently! I am very sensitive to smells so that can get me in trouble sometimes. I have to smell my glass before I'll drink out of it and smells that bother me (such as frostbitten ice or a stale rag) don't seem to bother anyone else I know.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#314 of 792 Old 08-21-2009, 10:20 PM

Yes, I am a INFP. While I like getting together with people, it really tires me out to socialize. I prefer having an interesting conversation with one or two people versus, a superficial one with a group (or one person for that matter). Small talk is very painful and I hate doing it and don't believe I am even good at it!
#315 of 792 Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 PM

Can I join you guys? I'm definitely introverted. INFP, every time I've taken the test, every version I've taken.
#316 of 792 Old 08-22-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
My dream is to have a circle of widely spaced dwellings in the woods, occupied by like-minded folks, with a larger structure in the center. When people want to be alone, they stay in or near their own dwelling. When they want to be with others, they go to the communal structure in the center.

I love this! I've always told my husband I want to live in an intentional community with people with VERY good boundaries!

I hear you on what a pain in the neck public school is. I thought my life was going to get easier when my oldest started school. Instead it got MORE stressful. I totally freaked out.

Samm
#317 of 792 Old 08-22-2009, 06:29 PM

Often, I get overwhelmed by my kids when they are all together. I do very well with my children 1-on-1 or 1-on-2.... but when there are 3 or more of them, I get a little crazy in my head. Anyone else? I LOVE having as many children as I do (and would love more too!) but my tolerance level gets reached much faster if I don't get that 1-on-1 time to really connect with them.

: : ::
#318 of 792 Old 08-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny View Post
Can I join you guys? I'm definitely introverted. INFP, every time I've taken the test, every version I've taken.

Welcome!! Please feel free to join in whenever the mood strikes you.

I went over to cafepress to see what they have for introverts and found a lot of cute shirts and magnets that I'm tempted to buy, lol!

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#319 of 792 Old 08-22-2009, 08:16 PM

I think my favorite shirt is "You read my t-shirt, that's enough social interaction for one day" Really, I like to socialize a bit, I'm just picky about who with, and I need to decompress afterwards.
#320 of 792 Old 08-23-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny View Post
I think my favorite shirt is "You read my t-shirt, that's enough social interaction for one day" Really, I like to socialize a bit, I'm just picky about who with, and I need to decompress afterwards.
That's really funny! I'll have to go check these out.

#321 of 792 Old 08-23-2009, 03:11 AM

I like this one.

http://shop.cafepress.com/design/12586550

#322 of 792 Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 AM

So I've been doing more research into the MBTI stuff because the INTP didn't sit with me perfectly and I retested and it also says ENTP, so maybe not an introvert after all! Maybe I have social anxiety. The thing is, apparently with xNTPs, is that they are both pretty cerebral and spend a lot of time upstairs. But I do enjoy socializing with people that I like and I go out of my way to talk to people. The event that spurred all this for me was I recently met some true Introverts and I realized that I am much more social than they are. I feel like I am always the one who wants to get together. At the same time though, I don't like crowds and despise small talk. Supposedly ENTPs are the most introverted of the extroverts. Well, I'll keep on this thread though since I seem to be on the fence between E/I.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#323 of 792 Old 08-23-2009, 10:12 AM

That t-shirt wasn't one I saw at the link. I think it might be on thinkgeek.com, but I can't remember exactly. (thinkgeek.com is one of the main sites I check shirts from, so that would be my best guess.) :P
#324 of 792 Old 08-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
But I do enjoy socializing with people that I like and I go out of my way to talk to people. The event that spurred all this for me was I recently met some true Introverts and I realized that I am much more social than they are. I feel like I am always the one who wants to get together. At the same time though, I don't like crowds and despise small talk.
I'm an introvert, but my husband sounds very much like you. He definitely gets energized from being around people -- but they need to be people of his choosing. He gets frustrated with small talk & he "can't stand annoying people" so he ends up being quite picky about who he spends time with. I think if he didn't live with an introvert, and see how different we are, he'd view himself as more introverted.

At first I thought our daughter was an introvert. But in the past year (she's 6) she's started showing some extroverted signs (when around people of her choosing she definitely ends up energized!). It's been interesting to see the evolution.
#325 of 792 Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 AM

Yeah, I'm a picky eater too...or just boring.
I have no problems sticking to a core menu of foods for longer periods of time. Variety isn't necessarily the spice of life for me.

^5 to those of you that can homeschool. I'd be too wiped out.
Spending the day in my cubical at work is one of my guilty pleasures.

Love my kid, but he's to extroverted too be stuck at home with a drained, impatient momma.

Center
#326 of 792 Old 08-24-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyEvrAfter View Post

Love my kid, but he's to extroverted to be stuck at home with a drained, impatient momma.
This is why we're doing our grand experiment this year: part-time homeschooling with part-time democratic school. I'm nervous about it, but DD and I are also both excited about it.

Our next conundrum - Not sure how to do weekends!

DD is an only and we don't see other kids much on the weekends. By the end of the day yesterday (Sunday), she was in a very foul mood even though she did have a play date on Saturday. If I feel "addicted" to getting time to myself, then DD seems "addicted" to being with people more often. Every time either of us gets some of our preferred time, we seem to just want more. I think I got close to satisfying my balance this weekend. However, DD did not and was very grumpy. When I offered to play with her, she complained that she didn't want to play with a grown-up, she wanted to play with KIDS!

This drive in her is very strong. Yesterday, she left the back yard through the side gate without asking or telling me and went to the neighbors' house because she heard their kids in the yard. (DD is 6.) We went out the front door looking for her just as she was coming up to the door (they were not out front as she'd expected). She was only out of site for maybe 5 minutes, and I had an idea of what she had done because she's tried this before, but we cannot let her do this without our knowledge. (I'm open to ideas for consequences for next time. We talked about it and how would she feel if I just up and left without telling anyone, but I think we need to have a definite consequence lined up in case she tries this again.)

I took her to the park to try to meet her need for playing with other kids, but there weren't any other kids there. (It was kind of late and public school is starting soon here.)

I am hoping to get her more interested in going to church, but she isn't crazy about the Sunday school program. There are lots of kids her age there, so I think if she had a few friends there it would help meet her need for being with more people on the weekends. I really hope when her school starts in 3 weeks it will help feed her extroverted needs.

#327 of 792 Old 08-29-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
So I've been doing more research into the MBTI stuff because the INTP didn't sit with me perfectly and I retested and it also says ENTP, so maybe not an introvert after all! Maybe I have social anxiety. The thing is, apparently with xNTPs, is that they are both pretty cerebral and spend a lot of time upstairs. But I do enjoy socializing with people that I like and I go out of my way to talk to people. The event that spurred all this for me was I recently met some true Introverts and I realized that I am much more social than they are. I feel like I am always the one who wants to get together. At the same time though, I don't like crowds and despise small talk. Supposedly ENTPs are the most introverted of the extroverts. Well, I'll keep on this thread though since I seem to be on the fence between E/I.
This is me to a TEE!! I just found this thread and was beginning to think maybe I don't belong until I read what you wrote! I classify as an extrovert but I must be " the most introverted of the extroverts" too.

My dh is an entertainer/comedian and I enjoy being behind the curtain!! I can go to parties because I can hide behind him and just join in if and when I feel comfortable. But I have to be in a really good mood to go in the first place. Also, my dh likes to have people over as someone else was saying. It energizes him and drains me. I do enjoy it but meeting new people is hard on me. And I hate 'forced' small talk.

I think part of my issue, if you want to call it that, is living around so many "fake" people when I was married to my ex. I hate having to "fake" a smile when I'm not feeling good and acting like everything is wonderful. Don't get me wrong... I'm not a negative person, but I hate all the rhetoric of people saying, "I'm blessed!", "Everything's peachy!", etc. Why can't people just be honest? Maybe it's because most people who ask "how are you?" really don't want to know? UGH! I'm sounding like I don't like people at all! haha!

What sums me and dh up is that we just try to be "real". I would rather people remember me for being 'real' and 'honest', then to always have an answer for everything. I don't mind answering someone with "idk" or "I'm not sure what I feel about that." I guess that goes back to not liking small talk. Okay, is this OT???????? Oh well, thanks for letting me ramble... I think it's that kind of morning for me.

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March
#328 of 792 Old 08-29-2009, 08:13 PM

We had a parade and very small festival in our town today, I found it so draining...

I think these were invented by Extroverts for Extroverts.

Thoughts?

dust.gif
#329 of 792 Old 08-30-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic~mama View Post
We had a parade and very small festival in our town today, I found it so draining...

I think these were invented by Extroverts for Extroverts.

Thoughts?
:

We just came back from an art festival and we are all CRABBY here. Too.many.people!
#330 of 792 Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 AM

hi-

can I join in?

I'm a ISTJ... living abroad in a country I don't speak the language fluently which only enables my introverted self...

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page