Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#361 of 792 Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower View Post
Today I was enjoying being melancholy. Yes, I do enjoy it sometimes. No, it is not the same as depression.
I'll second that... autumn is always my favorite time to indulge in a melancholy mood.
#362 of 792 Old 10-07-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyEvrAfter View Post
I've calmed down inside a little with accepting that this is part of my genetic makeup and that I don't HAVE to pretend to be and extrovert. I needed to find a way to be happy being me...damn the rest of the extroverts and their overbearing chit-chat parties!!!! LMAO.
Ditto!! I stop trying to fit in or make friends or make a good impression. I don't need that. If I have to suffer through an event like that, I will make the minimum polite hellos and socialize as long as it's enjoyable for me, then leave. I sometimes drive separately from dh to events like this. If I can't leave, I DO MY BEST TO FIND THINGS THAT INTEREST ME... like sit back and observe the people dynamics, or if it's outside I wander around lookin at bugs or trying to find a four leaf clover, or busying myself cleaning up the dishes, or learning what the host reads about by examining their bookshelves... coffee table books can sometimes work too. I don't ignore people or avoid people in a rude way, but just get interested in other things. The distractions keep me occupied and remind me of what's interesting and important to me and what's not. It keeps me from feeling awkward.
#363 of 792 Old 10-07-2009, 12:41 AM

another question... do any of you struggle with caffeine or sugar dependence/addiction? I remember reading that introverts have much less energy than extroverts and I often feel like I need something to get me going. anybody else or is it just me?
#364 of 792 Old 10-07-2009, 12:55 AM

I'm glad I found this group. I need to read some posts on here. I have a question. Do any of you get a hard time from other people? Even my husband doesn't understand me and thinks I am a social retard or depressed and I'm not. I am on the extreme end of the introverted spectrum but I don't consider myself shy anymore. I just don't like large group situations or small talk so people think something is wrong with me all the time when I'm not chatty.

My husband thinks I have a mental problem and doesn't think being introverted explains how I am but it really does. He thinks something is wrong with my brother too who is also introverted because he can be very quiet. I actually ok with how I am now. I used to feel more uncomfortable and aviod talking to people compleley and had anxiety regarding social situations. I no longer anxious about it and am more comfortable with who I am.

My dd is also very introverted and every one blaims it on me. It isn't I talk to her and take her out in social situations. It just how she is. I can already tell my1 year old ds is not introverted and more social than her. I grew up in New Jersey where most people are on the far extroverted spectrum which was not a good fit for me. That is how most of my husbands family is.

My mind is active and I prefer to think things out. I am with the kids all day and that uses a lot of my energy so I like to be alone to process things by the end of the day.

I tend to worry about things about the future and don't really act chipper ever and can be quiet and people sometimes think it means I am depressed.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#365 of 792 Old 10-07-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugz View Post
another question... do any of you struggle with caffeine or sugar dependence/addiction? I remember reading that introverts have much less energy than extroverts and I often feel like I need something to get me going. anybody else or is it just me?
When I know a chaotic event is going to happen I tend to "self medicate" with caffeine.

Generally, I try to stay away from it though because I just find it harder to re-energize afterwards if I'm hopped up on caffeine. I tend to feel better when I *let* myself be sluggish afterwards.

Quote:
My husband thinks I have a mental problem and doesn't think being introverted explains how I am but it really does.
Sigh. Yes, my ex continually told me I needed to be put on an anit-depressant because I just needed to perk up.
I can tell you they don't help because this is not a "condition". In fact, I found that anti-depressants only sank me deeper.

Starflower said it perfectly:
Quote:
Today I was enjoying being melancholy. Yes, I do enjoy it sometimes. No, it is not the same as depression.
I'm betting there is a vast majority of the population that's medicated on anti-depressants that are really just misunderstood introverts (misunderstood by themselves and providers).
My dad has called me his "melancholy baby" since forever. He said that I was always in a better mood the day after I holed my self up for a couple of hours with a book. He "let me be" and it made all the difference.

I'm not sure how to get a spouse to understand...that's hard. I just ended up divorcing mine..for several reasons, but the continaul mental stigma he put on me was a big part of it.
Not that I'm in any way recommending divorce just cause he doesn't understand!!! Just no advice....other than saying, "It's who I am...take it or leave it!"

Cheers!

Center
#366 of 792 Old 10-07-2009, 12:54 PM

I think the introverts who have spouses who pester them about it might benefit from sharing a book like "Introvert Power" or "Introvert Advantage" with them, just so they can see that others are this way too and it's not a character flaw. Perhaps seeing it in print would help legitimize it to an extroverted spouse? I don't have any other ideas right now. I am lucky that my DH is cool with it and very understanding, but we did talk about it a lot while I was reading about it. (DH identifies border-line I/E, though I would have classified him as introvert based on observations. Guess he's more social at work. He does enjoy being with people, but he doesn't make the initiative for a social life, whereas I make the initiative, but I have to regulate it heavily so I don't get overwhelmed.)

Caffeine/sugar question:

Yes, I pretty much have to have coffee every morning. I usually have a rice milk latte with a little agave syrup in it. A few weeks ago it was mochas but I had to back off the soy due to thyroid issues (and rice mochas just aren't quite the same). So less sugar there, but still some.

I also like to have dark chocolate as a little pick me up. And I do have sugar fairly often, but not in huge quantities at a time. I would say the worst days for sugar consumption are days I feel low energy. If I sleep poorly, I usually crave sugar all day long to try to perk up and stay awake.

My DD is a sugar monkey and we are trying to find ways of cutting down the amount of sugar she eats, but she is definitely an extrovert. But she also can spend a lot of time just reading by herself, too. However, I think if this were not interspersed with people time for her, she'd get very grumpy.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#367 of 792 Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 PM

I'm addicted to chocolate and junk food.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#368 of 792 Old 10-08-2009, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I'm in a very defensive and self-focused season of my life right now, so please read the following through that lens -- my efforts are usually more inclusive!

The whole burden of explanation thing troubles me. Why are introverts the ones who have to be legitimized? Why are we the ones who have to prove we're not snobs, or unkind, or disinterested? Why aren't extroverts who make more noise and take up more psychic space (in some ways) having to prove THEY're not overbearing, or bullies, or indifferent to any boundaries but their own? Why should ANY type of personality or approach be initially condemned in some fashion?

It feels like the difference between "innocent until proven guilty" and "guilty until proven innocent" -- and unilaterally at that. Very offensive.

I personally would eliminate the component of needing to legitimize something about who I am to a partner. It conveys imbalance and disrespect. A quest for understanding is one thing, and very healthy, but it has to take place within the framework of honoring one another, whether you understand or not, whether it's your way or not. But I'm pulling out of a lifetime of those around me expecting me to justify myself for their comfort, a lifetime of my efforts to do so through blindness and/or fear, and I'm overcompensating and furious now.

Down from the soap box . . .

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#369 of 792 Old 10-08-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post
The whole burden of explanation thing troubles me. Why are introverts the ones who have to be legitimized? Why are we the ones who have to prove we're not snobs, or unkind, or disinterested? Why aren't extroverts who make more noise and take up more psychic space (in some ways) having to prove THEY're not overbearing, or bullies, or indifferent to any boundaries but their own? Why should ANY type of personality or approach be initially condemned in some fashion?

It feels like the difference between "innocent until proven guilty" and "guilty until proven innocent" -- and unilaterally at that. Very offensive.

I personally would eliminate the component of needing to legitimize something about who I am to a partner. It conveys imbalance and disrespect. A quest for understanding is one thing, and very healthy, but it has to take place within the framework of honoring one another, whether you understand or not, whether it's your way or not. But I'm pulling out of a lifetime of those around me expecting me to justify myself for their comfort, a lifetime of my efforts to do so through blindness and/or fear, and I'm overcompensating and furious now.

very well said!

Makes me think of what's acceptable in our culture and how people expect us to behave... certainly many introverted tendencies are considered unacceptable. It would be great if that could change, the way stereotypes slowly change by people making positive influences. It's too early in the morning for me to think back to my cultural anthropology classes though!
#370 of 792 Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post
I'm in a very defensive and self-focused season of my life right now, so please read the following through that lens -- my efforts are usually more inclusive!

Down from the soap box . . .

The first part of "Introvert Power" addresses these exact things. She says that about 50% of people are introverts and that Americans glorify extroversion. I know some people thought this book had a bit of an "us vs. them" attitude, but it didn't bother me, because, well, sometimes it does feel like us vs. them!

And as for partners....... I think we can work a lot toward better understanding with extroverted partners (they can be clueless but it's not necessarily their fault), but if a partner or family member is requiring legitimization or trying to change the nature of an introverted person, this would be a real barrier to any healthy relationship. You are right - it's all about respect.

As for justifying anything to the rest of the world? I don't care what they think. I did frame my participation at my first church board meeting by saying that I was an introvert, but that was because I felt that saying it out loud would help the group be more understanding when I was often quiet, and because it made me feel freer to stop pressuring myself to be more extroverted.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#371 of 792 Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 PM

And now for something completely different......

I know many people have favorite smilies, but I have been wondering about one of my preferences.

Given the choice between these: vs.
I will always choose this one:

I thought at first it was because I prefer blues to orange, but lately I wear a lot of oranges and reds and my little tongue sticking out smilie I'm using on my siggy right now is orange, so maybe that's not it.

And it's not like I don't like hugs or anything, but I don't like sustained hugs. I wonder if I prefer the smile because it gives the hug, makes the other "person" smile, and then lets go.

#372 of 792 Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:

I know many people have favorite smilies, but I have been wondering about one of my preferences.

I thought at first it was because I prefer blues to orange, but lately I wear a lot of oranges and reds and my little tongue sticking out smilie I'm using on my siggy right now is orange, so maybe that's not it.

And it's not like I don't like hugs or anything, but I don't like sustained hugs. I wonder if I prefer the smile because it gives the hug, makes the other "person" smile, and then lets go.
Definitely. It's a personal space thing, isn't it? There are times, many, when I'd rather have my hand held for comfort than get a hug. Especially a sustained hug. <shudders> (I looked special for that one!)

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#373 of 792 Old 10-09-2009, 10:05 AM

[QUOTE=Starflower;14500056]And now for something completely different......

[QUOTE]

Yep and yep.
I'd choosed the latter too even though I really enojoy oranges and yellows.
I like hugs, just not porlonged ones....squeeze and let go.

But, if given an open choice I'd proabably choose:
It's the one I use most often.
While I wouldn't openly seek a group over solitude, I'd probably choose a group setting over a one-on-one. Mainly because I can retain my anonymity and fade into the background when I start feeling threadbare!

Center
#374 of 792 Old 10-09-2009, 06:28 PM

The group hug one is nice for showing solidarity, too.

Plus it looks open to me in the middle so not too crowded; there is a way out.

#375 of 792 Old 10-12-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugz View Post
Yo. I can't count the times I've tried to quit. If I quit coffee I find myself drinking Coke, if I quit Coke I find myself plowing through 1lb. bags of chocolate(specifically, peanut m&ms) if I cut back on the chocolate I'm back on coffee. I need them to keep going while I'm being drained by my surroundings.
#376 of 792 Old 10-12-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:

I laugh because I feel the exact opposite. See with this guy the hug is all done, it's sweet, it's intimate it's easy peasy. See? There's your hug!(it's also smaller)...but with this guy there's the stress of the "approach", there's too much energy, here she is...coming in for. that. hug! rah! I'm hugging ya!....it's too extroverted
#377 of 792 Old 10-12-2009, 06:23 AM

ISFJ here. I'm married to an ENFP, so as I'm sure you can imagine, that can be difficult at times. He pretty much "gets it" now, or as much as he's able to, and doesn't make all the attempts to "fix" me that he did early in our relationship. It's taken me a long, long time to come to terms with this part of myself and stop feeling like there's something "wrong" with me, but I think I'm finally getting there. So, anyway, I thought I'd poke my head in and say hi.
#378 of 792 Old 10-12-2009, 10:33 AM

I'm a little geeky and OCD about trying to find the right smilie to fit the situation. I use this one by default and I use this one if the smilie is intended specifically to comfort a sad person.

Welcome Mary!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#379 of 792 Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 PM

I'm the same as Sustainer with the hug smilie situation.

Had a super bad day today. Homeschooling is not going so well for the past couple days. I'm feeling really jealous of my friends who can send their kids off to school and have some time alone. Doesn't help that my husband has been working so much. I just feel completely spent.

I have friends that want to get together. Friends I really love to be around, but I don't feel like I have the energy to deal with it. I just want to hole up in my house, but that isn't helping my mood. Tomorrow I'm going to my friend's book group. I'm not sure how many people are going to be there, or who they are, or if they actually want to talk about the book or just chit chat. I hope they want to talk about the book, or I'm going to feel like a dork.
#380 of 792 Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 PM

Oh, and yes, coffee addict here. I used to be majorly addicted to sugar, but I'm not so bad with it now. Although I'm probably worse with the coffee. I think I would die without either one.
#381 of 792 Old 10-14-2009, 09:46 PM

LucyRev - Sorry to hear that homeschooling has been frustrating lately and that your DP has been working so much. I hope you get a break soon.

And you are not a dork for wanting to discuss a book at a book discussion.

#382 of 792 Old 10-17-2009, 11:04 PM

I'm feeling very alone today. DH has been super busy with work all week so we've hardly seen him at all. DD was lonely for him so they spent the day together out and about at a museum.

Normally I would cherish a day to myself, but this morning I opened my email to news of the death of a friend. Though we were not that close and I have not seen him in many months, I run into his ex every month or so when she's out with the kids. We all met at a baby group that was very active for about 5 years. It's really sad to think about his 6 year old daughter and 3 year old son no longer having a father. I told DH about it, but we haven't yet told DD. I know she will be incredibly sad, maybe not so much because she will miss him per se, but because she will empathize with her friend. I think she will feel very vulnerable.

Today would have been better for me to be with DH and DD, but I just didn't want to deal with the crowds at the museum or with the other family they went with. Plus DD wanted it to be daddies only with her best friend and his daddy. I guess that just makes it seem all the weirder that another little friend of hers is now fatherless. Sigh.

#383 of 792 Old 10-18-2009, 12:29 AM

Oh my gosh. That is terribly sad news. I'm so sorry.
#384 of 792 Old 10-18-2009, 11:41 PM

I'm sorry Starflower. That must be tough thinking about the family's grief and how your daughter will feel. My heart goes out to you.
#385 of 792 Old 10-19-2009, 03:45 AM

Starflower how very sad . I'm very sorry
#386 of 792 Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 AM

Thanks, everyone. I am doing OK now. I still don't have any more info about what happened. I sent an email of condolences to the children's mother. These are people who were pretty much on the fringe of my life, and honestly, I can't even remember the last time I actually saw the man who died. But the parallels of our lives such as having a daughter the same age brought things home a bit more than I'd expected.

On the flipside, one of my close friends is due any day now and is planning a home birth. I have agreed to watch her son (one of DD's best friends) if he chooses not to be present during the birth. So I guess the wheel of life continues to turn.

#387 of 792 Old 10-20-2009, 10:22 AM

Oh, Starflower. I'm sorry I missed your post!
My thoughts are with their kids and the mom.

Glad you're feeling better! Sending good baby vibes to the expecting family!!

Center
#388 of 792 Old 10-21-2009, 06:05 PM

I'm sorry Starflower. Sounds like a difficult situation.

I'm feeling so touched out lately. I'm going to go nuts if I don't get a bit of time to myself. I'm typically a night person, but so is the rest of my family, so I've switched to making myself get up in the morning, just to get a little time to myself. It seems like now they might be switching with me. Does everything have to revolve around me? Really?
#389 of 792 Old 10-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Hi, renny! Welcome to MDC and to the Introvert thread.

Sorry you're feeling touched out and that now everyone seems to be following you. I often feel like the driving force behind everything in my family. It's exhausting.

I hope you are able to carve out a niche of downtime just for you.

#390 of 792 Old 10-22-2009, 12:10 PM

I found this board yesterday and am very interested - and happy that I'm not alone.

I'm currently having a problem with my husband's parents visiting us multilple times a year, and they're about to send me around the bend!! I like them but I can't stand people in my house. They never want to do anything, even go out to eat, and just live their lives like they're at home - cooking, doing housework (which totally creeps me out, especially when my MIL does my laundry!!!!) and just generally being underfoot.

And the constant small-talk.....it's driving me insane. It has gone on for so long that I can't even fake being nice anymore - - and they don't even notice I'm about to lose it, they're too busy mowing my lawn, reading stacks of books they brought with them, and using every pot and pan I own.

My extroverted husband thinks I'm a mental case because all this togetherness is driving me crazy and I'm becoming so angry I'm afraid it's affecting my health. I'm angry that after 20 years of marriage my husband still doesn't understand me and that his parents are so clueless they don't know they're driving me crazy. I don't invite them, they invite themselves. And since my husband thinks there's something wrong with ME for not liking houseguests, he won't say anything to them.

Any advice is welcome, but I guess I really just wanted to rant, since no one I live with understands my position at all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page