Introvert Mamas? - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#511 of 792 Old 02-10-2010, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I just emailed the board president with my resignation. I couldn't bring myself to call her up.

I don't know why this decision has been so difficult. Heck, I usually find the meetings draining and need two days to recover afterward, but I feel like I am grieving just the same. Also not looking forward to having to talk to the other board members and field questions and compassion (I gave medical reasons as why I am leaving). I appreciate the compassion and care of others, but I am very uncomfortable receiving it, even when I want it. Anyone else on here feel like that?

Maybe part of why this has been so hard is that resigning is an official notice that yes, I do have chronic health issues that need to be dealt with. And owning up to the fact that even when I am feeling reasonably healthy, I am probably never going to be one of those really energetic people that can juggle tons of activities and responsibilities.

And maybe I am realizing that my introversion is part why I am not energetic. I just need a LOT of down time. I do feel like it's hard to fit into this society sometimes as an introvert. Then if you're an introvert with issues......well that just makes it worse.

Might need to re-read Introvert Power and/or check out Introvert Advantage.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#512 of 792 Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 PM

Starflower, just dashing off a quick comment/reply. Wish I had more time to write a more lengthy one. I too have energy issues and maybe if I were to get a whole panel of lab tests done, they could find that this or that level was off, but I think most of it has to do with my thoughts. My thoughts are draining to me. If I stop and ask myself, "What am I actually thinking right now," (which is not something most of us do, we just think, and don't question), a lot of stuff can get purged out. If you ever read Eat Pray Love, it's kind of like how Elizabeth Gilbert used to write in her journal questions to herself and just sort of wait for the answer to come. As introverts, we may have a disadvantage as there are just more thoughts, as we are not as caught up in interacting with others.
#513 of 792 Old 02-10-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshoppinghabit View Post
Starflower, just dashing off a quick comment/reply. Wish I had more time to write a more lengthy one. I too have energy issues and maybe if I were to get a whole panel of lab tests done, they could find that this or that level was off, but I think most of it has to do with my thoughts. My thoughts are draining to me. If I stop and ask myself, "What am I actually thinking right now," (which is not something most of us do, we just think, and don't question), a lot of stuff can get purged out. If you ever read Eat Pray Love, it's kind of like how Elizabeth Gilbert used to write in her journal questions to herself and just sort of wait for the answer to come. As introverts, we may have a disadvantage as there are just more thoughts, as we are not as caught up in interacting with others.
My thoughts definitely get in the way. I have OCD so sometimes they just won't leave. Most of the time I have decent control over the OCD, but under times of stress, it sneaks back in. I also have trouble with panic disorder and depression. Not a fun mix.

The introversion sometimes seems to make things worse for me, although I have done a LOT of amazing inner work lately just on my own, through journaling and just thinking about stuff. So while I am in a difficult time of life lately, I know I am progressing in a way I want to be. I was actually feeling pretty good about stuff until some more physical stuff got in the way again.

My hormones are all out of whack which makes my periods hellish and leaves me anemic. I'm working with my ND on this, but so far, nothing much has helped. We tried to regulate things and they got worse. Next week, I go for a pelvic ultrasound to see if I have fibroids or something else like that before we try anything else. There's some other physical stuff too but I won't go into all that.

"What am I thinking right now?" sounds like a good question to see if I'm in an OCD loop or if I am just plain fretting/worrying too much. I will add it to my toolbox. Maybe I'll check out Eat Pray Love. It sounds like a good book.

Thanks for your response.

By the way. I got the response from the board president and she was awesome. I am feeling very much relieved and I feel supported as both a colleague and as a mom.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#514 of 792 Old 02-11-2010, 01:18 AM

I was just playing some lovely piano music from on of my favorite movies: Amelie. It's a wonderful, quirky French film about a very shy young introvert. The piece I am currently trying to learn is called "La Valse d'Amelie" (Waltz of Amelie) and I think really represents introverts very well. The music is subtle and almost simple in the beginning, though with rich chords as if it's holding back. Then toward the middle it becomes beautifully layered, complex and a bit intense before ending with the same simpler chords as the beginning.

I love this piece because it seems to really represent the character of Amelie: someone who is so quiet you may not even notice her, but if you take the time to get to know her, she is beautiful and complex and has much to offer. I think introverts in general are often this way - at first glance we may not show much to the outside world, but if you give us space and time, we may open up and show beauty that you may never have seen before.

Amelie is definitely my favorite introvert character. What are some other introverts from films or books that you all like?

#515 of 792 Old 02-11-2010, 05:46 PM

My ex and I owned 2 small businesses and I hated it. You always had to talk to customers and schmooze for jobs, etc. Yuck.

Now I work from home as a medical transcriptionist and I LOVE it. I don't have to deal with anyone. I type, type, type and it is nice.

Lilly, mum to one handsome boyand to one of God's angels in heaven
#516 of 792 Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshoppinghabit View Post
First of all, it's been seven years since my last job and I have not kept in touch w/anyone from any of the jobs that I have held. Heck, I don't keep in touch w/anyone except my immediate family. I know it's pretty easy to track people down in this day and age, but I feel so embarrassed to under the guise of just socializing when I'm really bad at that and really am doing it for a reference.
I'll be in the same boat when I return to work. I have so much guilt for not keeping in touch with my former bosses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower View Post
As for coming to terms with being an introvert? I have pretty much accepted that. But I can also fake the extrovert thing pretty well when needed. It's draining and awful, but I can hack it. (Retail and service jobs training, I guess.)
Me too Starflower. I consistently score 100% introverted on the tests, but I can turn on my extrovertedness when I need to, can enjoy small amounts of socializing, and have had very social jobs with lots of networking at times (for example, organizing scientific conferences, community outreach)... but then I would feel totally SICK and take a long LONG time to recover.

My favorite job was when I spent 90% of the time in my office, which was appropriately called "The Hole". It was at the end of a dark quiet hallway that people rarely went down. My boss didn't care whether I worked in middle of the night or if my door was closed as long as I was productive at checking things off our to do list and was on the ball during the 10% social time. I was so productive at that job!

Quote:
What I am having a bit of trouble with is finally admitting that I don't have a lot of energy. I am finally realizing that I have to choose more carefully which activities I am going to apply my energies toward, otherwise, I get worn out really easily. I think part of this is health related, but I also think being an introvert is a big part of my low energy equation. Not that I think all introverts have low energy. That's not it at all. It's just that having to live in an extroverted world and parenting an extroverted kid wears on me a lot.
I relate with this too... I feel like my energy is just sapped. My dc is somewhat high need and I'm home with her 24-7. Since dd was born, I can count the number of hours I've spent alone in my house on one hand (she's now 2). I'm really feeling like I'm not a great parent lately. I'm ISTJ, close to 100% in each category. I like checklists... the lists I have as a SAHM are so depressing... I feel like I just tread water and never actually complete anything (laundry, dishes, trip to museum, continue to work on potty time... all these have to go back on the list the next day/week!!!). I like my environment to be organized, but I seem to lack the big picture thinking to create an organized environment... a terribly ironic combination. I'm not creative, so I struggle to come up with ideas for things to do with my dc... I get my ideas from books, but I never have a quiet moment alone to read! I want to homeschool, so I've recently been panicking that I won't be able to get it together enough to teach dd well enough and that maybe she'd be better off in preschool. Somebody compared trying to be extroverted to using your left hand... I feel like I've been using my left hand ever since dd was born. I love her so so much and I love being home with her. But the work part of being a SAHM seems so foreign to me... can the pros of my personality be used to make me a better SAHM or should I just go back to work? Clearly, it's too late at night for me to be up and typing!!!
#517 of 792 Old 02-14-2010, 02:06 PM

You guys all sound like I feel all the time I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one!

Amy-Mother of two (05/07) & (02/09)
http://www.trustedinstincts.ca
#518 of 792 Old 02-15-2010, 01:27 AM

Welcome, trustedinstincts - I like your user name. The more I search around for books and on the internet, the more I find there are a lot of introverts out there.

#519 of 792 Old 02-15-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugz View Post

My favorite job was when I spent 90% of the time in my office, which was appropriately called "The Hole". It was at the end of a dark quiet hallway that people rarely went down. My boss didn't care whether I worked in middle of the night or if my door was closed as long as I was productive at checking things off our to do list and was on the ball during the 10% social time. I was so productive at that job!
This sounds like a wonderful job balance!

Quote:
I relate with this too... I feel like my energy is just sapped. My dc is somewhat high need and I'm home with her 24-7. Since dd was born, I can count the number of hours I've spent alone in my house on one hand (she's now 2). I'm really feeling like I'm not a great parent lately. I'm ISTJ, close to 100% in each category. I like checklists... the lists I have as a SAHM are so depressing... I feel like I just tread water and never actually complete anything (laundry, dishes, trip to museum, continue to work on potty time... all these have to go back on the list the next day/week!!!). I like my environment to be organized, but I seem to lack the big picture thinking to create an organized environment... a terribly ironic combination. I'm not creative, so I struggle to come up with ideas for things to do with my dc... I get my ideas from books, but I never have a quiet moment alone to read! I want to homeschool, so I've recently been panicking that I won't be able to get it together enough to teach dd well enough and that maybe she'd be better off in preschool. Somebody compared trying to be extroverted to using your left hand... I feel like I've been using my left hand ever since dd was born. I love her so so much and I love being home with her. But the work part of being a SAHM seems so foreign to me... can the pros of my personality be used to make me a better SAHM or should I just go back to work? Clearly, it's too late at night for me to be up and typing!!!
The part in bold is just like me as well. I make a lot of lists. Sometimes they even get done. Right now I am trying not to worry about it so much, but that is easier said than done.

#520 of 792 Old 02-15-2010, 01:38 AM

I am a list maker too. It really helps me to feel organized and accomplished even if the list just consists of errands and cleaning etc that I need to do.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#521 of 792 Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Welcome, trustedinstincts - I like your user name.
Thanks...it's the name I picked for my doula work. I'm with you guys on the lists as well. I have a chart on my fridge for the week and it does get depressing when it never changes day in, day out. I think winter has a lot to do with it for me as well. I hate it when it's dark out all the time!

Amy-Mother of two (05/07) & (02/09)
http://www.trustedinstincts.ca
#522 of 792 Old 02-21-2010, 01:32 PM

Yeah the winter blues are tough for sure.

#523 of 792 Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I relate with this too... I feel like my energy is just sapped. My dc is somewhat high need and I'm home with her 24-7. Since dd was born, I can count the number of hours I've spent alone in my house on one hand (she's now 2). I'm really feeling like I'm not a great parent lately. I'm ISTJ, close to 100% in each category. I like checklists... the lists I have as a SAHM are so depressing... I feel like I just tread water and never actually complete anything (laundry, dishes, trip to museum, continue to work on potty time... all these have to go back on the list the next day/week!!!). I like my environment to be organized, but I seem to lack the big picture thinking to create an organized environment... a terribly ironic combination. I'm not creative, so I struggle to come up with ideas for things to do with my dc... I get my ideas from books, but I never have a quiet moment alone to read! I want to homeschool, so I've recently been panicking that I won't be able to get it together enough to teach dd well enough and that maybe she'd be better off in preschool. Somebody compared trying to be extroverted to using your left hand... I feel like I've been using my left hand ever since dd was born. I love her so so much and I love being home with her. But the work part of being a SAHM seems so foreign to me... can the pros of my personality be used to make me a better SAHM or should I just go back to work?
Wow! I could have written your post. Actually, I'm an ISTJ as well. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Going back to work isn't an option for me due to some other lifestyle factors for me. But, I sympathize with your dilema.
It's funny BEFORE DD was quite judgemental of mothers who worked when they financially didn't need to but NOW I see the value in preserving some individuality.
I find being a SAHM an incredible mental/psychic strain.
Funny, I also was devoted to homeschooling but now I'm so excited with the prospect of sending DD to JK this fall. 4 mornings a week to myself sounds like heaven.

and
#524 of 792 Old 02-24-2010, 03:35 PM

I am quite proud of myself. I survived my DD's birthday party. It was in a very busy place and between the kids and parents that came to my DD's party all of the noise and people were pretty overwhelming. I did okay though!

#525 of 792 Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 PM

Congratulations, Beautiful Life!

Kids b-day parties can be so overwhelming! Glad you made it through OK.

DD has been to 3 kid parties in the past month, two of which I had to attend as well. DD's own b-day isn't until June and I'm already trying to figure out what to do for it. She loves parties. I don't.

My DH thinks I'm weird because I am already trying to plan our summer travels to visit family and friends. He just doesn't get how overwhelming the car travel plus the family visits are for me. (It doesn't help that my family has "issues" either.) I just feel like I need a long time to prepare for things like this.

Is anyone else already planning for summer visits?

#526 of 792 Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 PM

I love this thread..Im sure ive been on here but its been a long time.

I am a definite introvert. I really am happiest at home. If i have to spend time with a bunch of people or attend any kind of social function, it takes me days to recoup. Im also not a big fan of the TV or the phone. I only talk to immediate family or a close friend or two on the phone and even then its not much.

Thank goodness my dh and dd are the same.
#527 of 792 Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
We just made it through several days without power here . . . my mother and several close friends had power, and our neighbors had a generator going. They all went out of their way to offer us anything you can imagine. But when it was time to lug the dishes and ourselves to some running water, I prevailed on DH to take me down to his office where I wouldn't have to interact with anybody.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#528 of 792 Old 03-02-2010, 05:11 PM

MariaMadly - Glad your ordeal without power is over now. Smart thinking about going to the office! We lost power for 8 days a couple winters ago and it was pretty awful. Glad your lives are getting back to normal.

Well - here's my good news: I finally made a phone call to my health insurance to get some paperwork I need for reimbursements through our HSA.

The bad news? Or pathetic news perhaps?
I put off this phone call since the end of September and we missed out getting reimbursed on a big chunk of health premiums money. At least DH wasn't mad at me. He didn't call either, but it was my insurance. We do have a lot of medical bills, so hopefully, it will even out. Especially since it won't even cover all our premiums combines anyway. (DD's and DH's are automatically reimbursed, but I am on separate insurance because they considered me high risk. It still makes me feel but I'll spare the details.)

Anyway, I procrastinated the call long enough to make it irrelevant. This makes me feel dumb. I have made other phone calls over the past four months, but this one for some reason, I just couldn't bring myself to do. (Been fighting depression and anxiety over here in addition to the regular introvert aversion to making calls.)

But at least the pressure is gone now. And I did finally call so I can get things right from now on. Sigh.

#529 of 792 Old 03-07-2010, 04:34 PM

Facebook is starting to bug me again. I have about 80+ friends on there. I know all of them IRL except one. Most are local. I like that I can keep up with their lives without having lots of chit-chat IRL.

Lately, there have been two birthday parties amongst my friends. One is someone I'd actually like to get to know better. The other is fine as an acquaintance type friend. I was not invited to either party. Makes sense. First one may have invited me except that she has cats - and I have bad allergies. Second one - we don't pal around anyway.

So here's the part that doesn't make much sense:

Now I am feeling kind of left out because all over FB they are all posting pix and yakking about what a great time they had. It feels like when I was in school and didn't get invited to anything. I'm hit and miss with social gatherings as it is because I'm introverted. But part of me still feels excluded. Is this weird?

I hardly even post on FB anyway. I have mostly been keeping it because it helped me get in touch with a couple people I hadn't seen in years and really missed.

#530 of 792 Old 03-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

Yes I am def. an introvert. It makes things a little hard for me sometimes because I am also shy, without a car, and have only one friend with whom I can have a real conversations with.
My husband can be in inward person, but a lot of time likes to socialize and "hang out". I always feel weird for feeling this way, but I don't quite know how to "hang out". Especially when it is with people I don't know well at all.

Anyways, I'm sure I will be back here to read all these other posts
#531 of 792 Old 03-10-2010, 07:26 PM

FB bothers me too. I never used to get jealous of anyone. I wished everyone well and I still do, but lately FB just makes me compare myself to others. I'm PMSing right now so that's probably adding to my irritation.

I'm feeling a little nutty today. I haven't been seeing my handful of friends very often because when I get a little bit of time, I would rather be alone. I hate calling people. It is just hard to reach out. I feel like I need to know in advance, and be mentally prepared if I'm going to be social. It seems like all my other mom friends are making plans every single day, their friendships becoming stronger and stronger. And somehow they still have energy/time to do other stuff too?

I'm homeschooling my girls (nearly 4 & 7) and I've been having a hard time remembering that this truly is what I want to do. That this is the best choice for us. I believe in it so strongly, and trying to be quite unschoolish about it... but it makes me feel like I'm on the farthest back burner there is. I want my kids to see me following my passions too, but it's so hard to find the time. I'm getting really really jealous of parents who feel good about sending their kids to school and have that time when they are off kid-duty.

I can't see other options for us. Public school made our whole family insane. My oldest daughter says she'll never go to any school again, and honestly, I don't want her to. I guess I need to ask family again for someone to please babysit for a few hours once every week or two. I have asked before and they say yeah, but then won't ever do it. It's so hard for me to ask for help and especially since I've already been rejected I just can't imagine asking again.

Someone on MDC recommended reading The Artist's Way. I've been doing it for 5 or 6 weeks now, and it is great, but you are supposed to write 3 quick steam of consciousness pages of journaling each morning, and commit to spending 1-2 hours a week doing something alone that inspires you...refills your creativity cup. All that is supposed to help you BE more productive and inspired and creative. It is working. I get up early before the kids to have time for journaling, and then hope I'll have some time left to work on a project before they get up (usually doesn't work out). I am feeling more inspired and want to create more. However, it's difficult to work on stuff with the kids around because they always want to help, or need guidance, or want to use up my supplies. And I feel like a total idiot that this is my big problem. This heap of nothing. It's not even a real problem. I don't deserve to feel bad about this when I have so much to be thankful for.

Thanks for reading. I just needed to vent.
#532 of 792 Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Me, me But I do get to a point where I get lonely for adult company, it takes a while and I am always exhausted afterward.
#533 of 792 Old 03-14-2010, 12:20 AM

Bluebirdie and mommy212 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyRev View Post
I haven't been seeing my handful of friends very often because when I get a little bit of time, I would rather be alone. I hate calling people. It is just hard to reach out. I feel like I need to know in advance, and be mentally prepared if I'm going to be social. It seems like all my other mom friends are making plans every single day, their friendships becoming stronger and stronger. And somehow they still have energy/time to do other stuff too?
I can so relate to this!

#534 of 792 Old 03-14-2010, 06:56 AM

It's so refreshing to read thoughts that could be my own!
LucyRev - I could relate to so much of what you shared!
I'm in such inner turmoil right now concerning whether or not to continue to homeschool my 11 year old son. The only con is that I'm emotionally drained, and therefore don't feel as though it's a healthy balance. I also don't like my son experiencing me with such low energy, and that I'm not being fully present, n creative. I adore the Artists Way. That's a really wonderful tool. I would try to offer yourself more grace rather than guilt, if you don't get to your journaling. And perhaps take a brisk 15 minute walk before the kids wake. I've forced myself out of the house this past week at 530 am for a yoga class, that I know will recharge me. I too, have been feeling envious of the women who have so many hours to themselves on a daily basis. Hence, why I question whether homeschooling is the right choice for our family.
*sigh*
#535 of 792 Old 03-14-2010, 10:30 PM

Hi everyone. I found out about this site, yesterday, and have been reading through this particular thread. I can very much relate to the comments from other members. I am a stay-at-home mother to a daughter who just turned two last month. As an introvert, parenting has been draining, to me. From my observations, my daughter exhibits a highly extroverted temperament, while I am a highly expressed introvert. I find that I basically have very little time to myself because my daughter loves to be by my side, unless she is watching one of her educational programs and playing with her toys. The only time I really get a break is when my boyfriend gets home from work, after working long hours, most days. By that time, I really feel drained, irritable, and moody.

More about myself: I found out that I was introverted when I was 18, when a coworker happend to mention that her boyfriend was introverted, but I didn't really take into consideration, the significance of what introversion meant, until I was 24. At that time, I started to seriously research personality/temperament types and gained understanding about why I had certain characteristics. I can relate to others who stated that they didn't really understand themselves during their childhood/young adult years and were criticized for behaving differently from the more outgoing, extroverted types. Like others, here, I have been called stuck-up, cold, and even b**ch. I think that my mother is an introvert, and I know that my father is outgoing and extremely extroverted. He is the type who can go into a room full of strangers and feel very comfortable making small talk and engaging others. People are just naturally drawn to him. My father thinks that I am weird because I am reserved, and I don't feel comfortable talking to any and everybody.

I've realized that people don't really know what to make of me, because I am quiet, so they just assume that I think I am better than others when really I don't think any thing of the sort. I've also realized that there are some people, specifically some extroverted people, who seem to think that my opinions, feelings, and complaints aren't as important, simply because I am not as outwardly expressive about everything.

I've never had an easy time making friends. I struggle with social anxiety in addition to being introverted. I also feel nervous when I am around a large group of people and find it difficult to engage in small talk. However, there are those rare occasions in which I find that I feel very comfortable around someone whom I have just met, and I can spend a long time talking to that person. It usually doesn't happen, but once in a while, I do meet a kindred spirit.

I can relate to those of you who hate using the phone. I just find it to be intrusive and annoying. I realized that I prefer written communication or email, so I can gather my thoughts, because I'm not very good at verbal communication, specifically when it comes to stating my wants and needs. Ive been somewhat sarcastic, in the past, and I've recently been learning about how to be assertive, since I was sorely lacking in that skill. I find that this trait is especially important when dealing with those extroverts who think that they can walk all over people who seem to be more quiet and appear timid.

I've read Introvert Advantage, The Loner's Manifeso (I am a loner and an introvert), and I would like to read some of the other books that have been mentioned here.

Anyway, I am happy that I happened upon this forum.
#536 of 792 Old 03-14-2010, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Great to have you here!
#537 of 792 Old 03-14-2010, 11:44 PM

FallenofTrack -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenofTrack View Post
've also realized that there are some people, specifically some extroverted people, who seem to think that my opinions, feelings, and complaints aren't as important, simply because I am not as outwardly expressive about everything.
Thanks for the great introduction. I highlighted the part above because I found myself nodding while reading it.

sanssouci -

Nice to have you here as well. We homeschool as well. DH always says that he's not worried about DD being homeschooled, but he worries about me getting enough time to myself. I am familiar with this dilemma already and DD is a lot younger than your DC. We're trying to figure out how to do it differently this year so we have a better balance. Still a work in progress. I hope you find what works for your family, whatever you decide.

#538 of 792 Old 03-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Starflower, thanks for the welcome. From reading some of your comments, I see that you and I have some things in common. Like you, I also struggle with depression, so I know how difficult it can be just to get through the days, and having to fight the feeling of not wanting to do anything because of lack of energy. I also procrastinate, a lot, when it comes to making phone calls, for both trivial and important matters. I used to write, a lot, but I am more interested in proofeading.

For those of you who mentioned homeschooling, I have also been thinking of homeschooling my daughter. I went to public school and hated the experience. I am also scared to have my daugher attend public school because I really just don't trust having my daughter in the care of others. At least when she is home, I know what is going on and how she is being treated. I am going to have to do some serious research before I make a decision.
#539 of 792 Old 03-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Hi. Definitely an Introverted Mom of 2. I have a 6 year old dd who has Selective Mutism and I've often wondered if it's a somewhat extreme case of introversion.

Anyway, I've been lurking for two days now and decided to finally come out of hiding with a question.

The other day I mentioned to friends that I like going to the movies alone. They thought it was the most bizarre thing they'd ever heard. I explained that if DH and I have a chance to go out w/o dc, we pick going to dinner (where we can talk) over a movie. Also, I find it exhausting having to talk about a movie afterwards -- my dh and I went to the movies with another couple once and all they did was dissect and discuss every single thing when all I wanted to do was digest it.

There are only a few movies I like to see in the theater (the rest I can wait for and watch with DH on DVD) and when I do go alone, I love not having to chat before the movie starts or discuss when it ends. I didn't think there was anything weird about it. You're not supposed to talk during the movie anyway, so why is it a big deal?

My friends thought I was crazy. So please tell me that at least some of you like to go to the movies alone.

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
#540 of 792 Old 03-15-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliepop View Post
The other day I mentioned to friends that I like going to the movies alone. They thought it was the most bizarre thing they'd ever heard. I explained that if DH and I have a chance to go out w/o dc, we pick going to dinner (where we can talk) over a movie. Also, I find it exhausting having to talk about a movie afterwards -- my dh and I went to the movies with another couple once and all they did was dissect and discuss every single thing when all I wanted to do was digest it.

There are only a few movies I like to see in the theater (the rest I can wait for and watch with DH on DVD) and when I do go alone, I love not having to chat before the movie starts or discuss when it ends. I didn't think there was anything weird about it. You're not supposed to talk during the movie anyway, so why is it a big deal?

My friends thought I was crazy. So please tell me that at least some of you like to go to the movies alone.
Glad you brought this up. I get looked at like a freak when I tell someone I saw a movie alone.
We were chatting about the Twilight movies the other day and a girl I work with said it would be great if we all planned a big premier trip to see New Moon. I totally cringed inside and acted like I had other plans that weekend.
I don't mind being in the theatre with other people, but I hate going to the movie with someone else. I want to see, absorb, relish, digest and remember.
People are ALWAYS astonished when it slips out that I went alone. I haven't spoken to one person who thought it was perfectly ok (or maybe they just didn't want to admit it).

And don't even get me started on the looks I got when I happened to mention I went to Applebee's alone. Why is it so freaky to want to enjoy a meal in a public place by myself?

Center

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page