Introvert Mamas? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#151 of 792 Old 07-12-2009, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subbing. I am definitely introverted. I have to know somebody for years before I really open up to them. People describe me as quiet and sometimes I feel antisocial, so definitely introverted. Thankfully I have a long commute to and from work everyday. I say that I wish I didn't, but it does give me that time to wind down and think and prepare for the next attack for attention.

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 792 Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by principii View Post
... I just got a book from the library today that I simply can't put down. In fact, I only put it down to post about it here ...It's called Nurture by Nature, Understand Your Child's Personality Type by Paul Tieger & Barbara Barron-Tieger. All I can say is: get it. It's great.
I'll have to check that one out... they wrote a similar book for couple relationships I've been wanting to read too called Just Your Type: Create the Relationship You've Always Wanted Using the Secrets of Personality Type

Quote:
For my two cents, I am the World's Number One Lurker. I don't even get my thoughts into the text box. I definitely "mentally" reply to everything. But fear of putting-foot-in-mouth, too many bad experiences (mostly as a kid), not wanting to hurt others or get hurt myself, hyperanalyzing every word I say (how a,b,c,x,y, and z people will interpret it... how to readjust to add the miscellaneous g,h, and i folks into my reply so nobody feels left out, the inevitable WHAT IFS)... needless to say all my thoughts get stuck/rammed all together in their exodus and voila, *nothing* comes out.
When I do type (and I promise, I'm almost done), I don't even let myself reread it. And then I have to quickly... POST! Like now, before I do delete it on impulse, out of fear... ack.
Too funny... I do the same thing. A yahoo group moderator just threatened to kick me out of the group because I only lurk and never post... discrimination to introverts if you ask me.
#153 of 792 Old 07-13-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBinSATX View Post
I think my problem is more that I am too direct. I always thought it was a cultural thing (I am from Europe) but perhaps it's an Introvert thing as well?
I was reading in Kurcinka's "Kids, Parents and Power Struggle" again last night and it made me think of your comment about being direct. (I picked up this book after reading an excerpt on introvert/extrovert differences.) There is another section in the book that discusses Thinking vs. Feeling type of temperament (Myers-Briggs). It sounds like directness could also have to do with whether they are T or F types. Thinkers tend to want the just the facts and make decisions based on facts, and may just state the facts in a situation, whereas feelers tend to empathize first and may hold back more to try to keep the peace.

I am very strongly in the F category on the Myers-Briggs and I live in a very politically correct area of the US. Being direct can be difficult for me even when I want to be direct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn C. View Post
How great for you to be so proactive in exploring your introvertedness (if that's even a word.) I don't know if I'd ever have the guts to stand up and educate people on what being an introvert means.

As far as homeschooling goes, I think what works is what works. And it's entirelly possible that in the future some other arrangement might work.

And let me know how you figure out couple time I could use some suggestions in that area.
We always said we'd homeschool as long as it works for our family, that nothing was set in stone. But it was still hard to come to the conclusion that we needed to make a change for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Mama Doula View Post
Subbing. I am definitely introverted. I have to know somebody for years before I really open up to them. People describe me as quiet and sometimes I feel antisocial, so definitely introverted. Thankfully I have a long commute to and from work everyday. I say that I wish I didn't, but it does give me that time to wind down and think and prepare for the next attack for attention.
I think DH's commute helps him a lot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugz View Post
I'll have to check that one out... they wrote a similar book for couple relationships I've been wanting to read too called Just Your Type: Create the Relationship You've Always Wanted Using the Secrets of Personality Type
I'll have to check this book out. We talked very briefly last night about DH's alone time needs and he'd like more time to game and play his cello. I want to support this, but I don't want to end up living completely separate, parallel lives either.

We would have some time in the evenings together, but we are having a bedtime problem with DD. She only goes to bed when we do, which many AP families love and we did too for a long time. But she's too big for us to all co-sleep together comfortably. And we're having trouble getting her back into her own bed. She sees my place as next to her - all night long. Can't say as I blame her - she's 6. If I get her to sleep in her bed and then sneak out later, she consistently wakes up in the wee hours of the morning. She doesn't say she is scared -just that she doesn't want to be alone.

The good part of bedtime is something new we are trying. She is willing to have some quiet reading time with all the family reading our own books in our bed. :

The more I think about this, the more I think we will have to move the bunk beds purchased last winter out of her room. She used to have a double bed which was easier for me to leave after she fell asleep because we weren't glued together like in the twin sized bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugz View Post
Too funny... I do the same thing. A yahoo group moderator just threatened to kick me out of the group because I only lurk and never post... discrimination to introverts if you ask me.
I agree with this.

hope I don't get kicked off the introvert thread for being too wordy!

In my own defense: in "Introvert Power" the author talks about how the internet can be a safe place for introverts to talk because they can write their responses and edit before hitting the send button. When she interviewed introverts for her book, she did it all in writing and they were able to respond anonymously for the book. It's really an interesting read. I'm about 2/3 the way through it.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#154 of 792 Old 07-14-2009, 12:37 AM

Hey guys. I feel like I am very fortunate in my introvertedness. I have a park just down the street that isn't too busy and we go later in the evening when people would usually be eating supper. I also am very fortunate that most of my time is spent at home and also that I don't see my boyfriend often. I get the best of the introverted world.
#155 of 792 Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 PM

Don't mean to brag but

DS is on a camping trip

And

Dh took dd out for a while. (And the second he asked if she wanted to go by-by she was at the door ready to go out.)

I am sitting in a completely quite/ empty house.

Yippeeeee!!!

#156 of 792 Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 PM

Do you all think once an introvert always an introvert? Or can an introvert become extroverted??

Nina Wife to DH
#157 of 792 Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 PM

I feel as if I could pretend to be an extrovert, at great stress to myself, but I don't feel as if I could ever become an extrovert.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#158 of 792 Old 07-15-2009, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

I think ther are different levels of 'introvertness'.
The main difference between introvert and extrovert is not how shy or wordy somebody is but rather how one truly recharges and gains or loses energy - how draining interaction with others is, etc.
I think there probably are some socially very skilled introverts that still need to come back into their own space to recharge their batteries.
So my answer is levels may change, you can fake it if you have to but the essence stays the same unless you are truly at 50/50 (take the test).

On a different note:
I got the kids to bed today by 9! Yay me. And it's not even 11 PM and I have all my orders finished. I could actually take a bath and read a book now if I wanted to with nobody bugging me.
#159 of 792 Old 07-15-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Do you all think once an introvert always an introvert? Or can an introvert become extroverted??
Since being an introvert/extrovert is not a choice but a inherent trait I think it would stay the same over a lifetime. But being an introvert is often confused with being shy, antisocial, socially awkward, or being a "loner". To be sure an introvert CAN be all these things but isn't neccesarily any of these things.

Personally, I spent my formative years being ridiculously shy. I would break into hysterics at the thought of talking to someone new.

I am no longer shy. At all. I don't have an inch of anxiety about meeting new people. Still hate the chit chat. Dread mommy and me. Need a day (or four) to lick my wounds after my husband drags me to a party. But I'm not at all anxious.

Still an introvert.
#160 of 792 Old 07-16-2009, 12:00 PM

[QUOTE=Starflower;14076125]I was reading in Kurcinka's "Kids, Parents and Power Struggle" again last night and it made me think of your comment about being direct. (I picked up this book after reading an excerpt on introvert/extrovert differences.) There is another section in the book that discusses Thinking vs. Feeling type of temperament (Myers-Briggs). It sounds like directness could also have to do with whether they are T or F types. Thinkers tend to want the just the facts and make decisions based on facts, and may just state the facts in a situation, whereas feelers tend to empathize first and may hold back more to try to keep the peace.

I am very strongly in the F category on the Myers-Briggs and I live in a very politically correct area of the US. Being direct can be difficult for me even when I want to be direct.

Very interesting. I am strongly in the F and P categories. For me part of what makes an outing or event so exhausting is that I am constantly reading peoples body language. If I see that someone needs something, or is trying to do something, or is struggling. I cant help noticing and then helping.

I also strongly identify with the Highly Sensitive person description.
http://www.hsperson.com/
Self test here if anyone is interested.
http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm

I'm not sure how the two relate, Introvert and HSP. Or is one aspect is stronger in me that another.

This is such a great thread. I also hope it can keep going. But as someone who has been on MDC for many years and just hit 500 posts, I can see how it might be hard to keep an introvert thread active!

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

#161 of 792 Old 07-16-2009, 12:14 PM

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to whoever recommended Introvert Advantage - I'm on the 3rd chapter and am really loving it! : I especially like when the author makes the distinction between being antisocial and being asocial, and points out that using the word asocial to describe introverts adds to the perception that there's something wrong with us. Plus, there are some really great quotes. This may be a book to add to my ever-growing book collection!

reading.gif Wife to DH geek.gif  since 08/06. Mother to Eleanor Rose energy.gif, born 10/12/08.  h20homebirth.gif
#162 of 792 Old 07-16-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer View Post
I feel as if I could pretend to be an extrovert, at great stress to myself, but I don't feel as if I could ever become an extrovert.
: Sometimes I can "force" myself to be like an extrovert for certain amounts of time/situations, but yeah, it comes at a high cost.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#163 of 792 Old 07-16-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Oh I like the Introverts United group already! They have the personality test link on their group page and ...
Ta-dah, your personality type is INTJ!
Introverted (I) 89% Extraverted (E) 11%
Intuitive (N) 59% Sensing (S) 41%
Thinking (T) 55% Feeling (F) 45%
Judging (J) 77% Perceiving (P) 23%

http://kisa.ca/personality/
My Results
Introverted (I) 100% Extraverted (E) 0%
Intuitive (N) 68% Sensing (S) 32%
Thinking (T) 50% Feeling (F) 50%
Perceiving (P) 55% Judging (J) 45%

Nina Wife to DH
#164 of 792 Old 07-16-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
My Results
Thinking (T) 50% Feeling (F) 50%
Perceiving (P) 55% Judging (J) 45%
I guess I belong here, huh? :

Nina Wife to DH
#165 of 792 Old 07-16-2009, 01:25 PM

According to that quiz I am highly sensitive.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#166 of 792 Old 07-16-2009, 03:09 PM

I also highly sensitive and

Personality test results
Ta-dah, your personality type is INFJ!

Intuitive (N) 86% Sensing (S) 14%
Feeling (F) 80% Thinking (T) 20%
Judging (J) 59% Perceiving (P) 41%

Can someone explain judging vs. perceiving to me?
#167 of 792 Old 07-16-2009, 03:13 PM

http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-p...perceiving.asp

#168 of 792 Old 07-18-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
INFJ!
Introverted (I) 86% Extraverted (E) 14%
Feeling (F) 85% Thinking (T) 15%
Judging (J) 50% Perceiving (P) 50%
I don't have time to comment now but will later! I love this thread soo much! :

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#169 of 792 Old 07-19-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower View Post
Any other introverts here spend a good amount of time typing up responses on websites like MDC or FB and then just delete them in the end?
Constantly!

I'm INFP

Ta-dah, your personality type is INFP!
Introverted (I) 89% Extraverted (E) 11%
Intuitive (N) 64% Sensing (S) 36%
Feeling (F) 75% Thinking (T) 25%
Perceiving (P) 86% Judging (J) 14%

I positively fantasize about spending a night or two in a hotel by. my. self. Without having to talk to anybody(I could happily go days without communication if it were possible). I stay awake hours after everyone else, just lying in bed reading or thinking in the dark while DH snores, often until 4:00a.m. Now my DH is working nights and I still stay awake in the dark half the night while he's gone and the kids are sleeping...heaven Of course that means that he's home all of the day now too...which is nice...I love him...but it's yet one more person in "my" space/interrupting my thoughts all day It gets to me. A lot. Actually it's making me batty, I'm really upping those hotel daydreams Luckily for me he's introverted too and really "gets" me, so he doesn't take it personally when I tell him to stop talking to me.

I have social-anxiety on top of being introverted, so "people" are extra hard for me and life is pretty solitary. We've moved a few times so I don't have any friends and it's just too hard to force myself out to make any I'd finally just managed to make good friends with a neighbor just before we both moved to different states. It's kind of a drag, but it's only a drag on those rare occasions when I feel a need for that type of relationship...and honestly it's just takes too much energy to get to "friendship". Besides, how many people do you know that immediately understand "I want to be friends, but only every once in a while"

I also like to occasionally be "around" people without actually interacting....coffee shops and bookstores off in the corner somewhere etc.

*Oh, and editing to add that I hate phones too!
#170 of 792 Old 07-19-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower View Post
I am also very attuned to other peoples' reactions/emotions and tend to feel aware that I am staring at them while I am talking to them. It's almost like if I am not really engaged in a conversation - such as with the dreaded small talk - I feel like I am listening to my own words ramble while trying to think of what to say at the same time as studying their faces. It's kind of surreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post

I think you just nailed it. I am so in tune to facial expressions, body language and the unspoken word (and a whole lot of empathy - feeling what they are feeling), that while in conversation with someone, I feel overwhelmed by all the input and my attempts to decipher it all.
#171 of 792 Old 07-20-2009, 12:36 AM

Hi all -

Another introvert coming out of lurkdom to say hi! This thread is awesome. I find myself constantly composing responses in my head.

I just had to laugh at this Besides, how many people do you know that immediately understand "I want to be friends, but only every once in a while"

I have a friend right now who doesn't understand why I 'disappear' at regular intervals . . . and I'm thinking well at least they're regular

Samm
#172 of 792 Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella-6 View Post
My husband is an extrovert and very understanding of my introversion. We have worked together to find techniques that work for us and have found a happy balance.
That's GREAT that you and your husband can work so well together!! : I'm very happy for you! That's wonderful.
Quote:
This thread is of particular interest to me, because I am expecting my first in Jan. How do mamas of babies find alone time, particularly SAHM and WAHM.
One word: NAPTIME! Lol. Seriously. But I'm curious to see what the other Mamas say, as I don't know WHAT I'm going to do once she drops her one and only nap... hopefully I won't have to worry about that for awhile.

Otherwise, some days I *do* get up before she does, and have some quiet time to myself... that's always nice. I've read about other mamas doing the same and that it's saved their sanity more than once.

We listen to soft music sometimes too, I find that that helps me feel a bit more, whats-the-word, centered? ... Okay, I can't think any more, DD is clamoring and making NOISE! Oh, the ironies.

SAHM to Chloe (02/28/08) & Samantha (10/06/10)... not quite crunchy - think of us as al dente, finding our way to self-sustainability & full-out crunchy living ... trial and error, one day at a time! 
#173 of 792 Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yes, when they miss a nap it's terrible... LOL
With two kids it's even worse since it's so tough to get their naps aligned.
Sometimes poor DH comes in the door at 5PM and I just hand him the kids right away to get some alone time.
#174 of 792 Old 07-21-2009, 02:01 PM

I agree, naptime

Just looking at my results again: I can only really consider myself an IN since T and P are 50% and 55% respectively. Hmmm, interesting. I'm still shocked that I scored 100% Introverted. I guess I NEED to get up earlier more often

The other day I took DS and DD2 to the beach. I met another cool mom there who has three children (youngest is 6) and I asked for her phone number! I am so proud of myself.

Let's keep this thread going - I love it

Nina Wife to DH
#175 of 792 Old 07-21-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, when they miss a nap it's terrible... LOL
With two kids it's even worse since it's so tough to get their naps aligned.
Sometimes poor DH comes in the door at 5PM and I just hand him the kids right away to get some alone time.
Both my daughters dropped their naps around the age of 2. They are less than 14 months apart in age. My husband is gone from 7 am to 7 pm. No more naps for me. At least their closeness in age means they easily entertain each other.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#176 of 792 Old 07-21-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella-6 View Post
This thread is of particular interest to me, because I am expecting my first in Jan. How do mamas of babies find alone time, particularly SAHM and WAHM.
When they were younger I'd hand the kids off to DH and tell them to go. away. I still do it sometimes.

Now that the kids are older I can send them out to play, sometimes for hours.
#177 of 792 Old 07-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
I am an INFJ.
Me too!

INFJ
Introverted 78%
Intuitive 12%
Feeling 38%
Judging 11%

Careers:
Social Work, Education, Librarian, Law, Early Childhood Education, Psychology/Psychotherapist, Counseling, Design, Science

Famous people:
John Bradshaw, Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, John Calvin, Nicole Kidman

I haven't read all the posts yet, but I am a major introvert. When I know we have company coming, I'm stressed all day long, and don't relax until they've gone, even though we always have fun!

We're stuck for a babysitter right now, so I'm considering going to see Harry Potter by myself - I REALLY hope this pans out. Going to the movies alone was my favourite thing to do in my single days.

Now my ideal night is to sit and crochet or read while DS is sleeping and DH is playing Warcraft. I just get so frazzled and depressed if I don't get enough time alone - nobody to entertain, no one's expectations to manage, no need to drum up conversation - ahh, bliss.

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#178 of 792 Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 PM

Oh, and I'm famous for being quiet. In my high school yearbook I was voted "Most likely to be a textbook case autistic." Horrible and doesn't make any sense, I know, but there it is

My son is super quiet too. At the family reunion this weekend so many people remarked on that, and said he must take after me.

Like many of you, I prefer to observe others. If I actually have something worthwhile to say, then I'll speak up.

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#179 of 792 Old 07-21-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Looking through it further, it is interesting, but not *quite* what I was hoping it would be.

Any other folks have links to share?

~~~

Curious too, what types of movies/books/topics we like, as introverts... and if anybody else has struggled / struggles with depression or other mental health problems. I read somewhere online tonight, too, that INFPs often have difficulty with anxiety/depression/etc. Just curious! It's interesting to me, since I've struggled with depression for quite awhile, never really been able to kick it regardless of meds or not, or different therapy approaches (DBT, etc.)

Anyway, I digress.
I've dealt with depression, I have panic disorder, and my favourite movies and books were/are vampires/witches (as a teen) and now fantasy/magic.

#180 of 792 Old 07-21-2009, 05:47 PM

Wow--I'm soooo glad that I came across this thread.

So I'm an introvert with social anxiety and I knew I was different as a child but until the last few years, I didn't realize that what my issue was actually had a name. Having an 'outie' husband, we have so many issues and he really doesn't understand 'me'. I may send him this thread in hopes that he will come to understand.

I do have a question--do you think being and innie comes from genetics or possible the environment? The reason I ask is because I always thought that the reason I avoided people was because I grew up with a raging alcoholic father. When I was preg with dd I told my hubby that I prayed she wouldn't be like me---meaning antisocial.

Issues that have come up in the last few months---Folks wanting to give me a baby shower--this absolutely ticked me off because I HATE being the center of attention. Bad to say but luckily I went in the hospital on bedrest and avoided this situation. Unfortuntaly that led to another issue--folks wanting to come see me in the hospital

Also--since I had the baby 6 weeks ago--folks wanting to come by and see him or bring me food....Luckily so far I've put them off but know I will eventually have to give in.

An example of how bad I am--When Dh and I were married he wanted his family there--I told him the only way he would marry me was if it were just he and I.

I'm going to have to look that book up....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page