Henna Lovers, and Mehndi Mamas! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2 3 
Finding Your Tribe > Henna Lovers, and Mehndi Mamas!
Ammaarah's Avatar Ammaarah 08:07 PM 11-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
Hi Darla! I love your page! I am ohhhing and ahhhing! Welcome to MDC!

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my first kit! I'm hoping it will be here by mid week! What should I practice first? Any tips for simple designs to try? I am guessing I should try practicing on my legs or feet to begin? I ordered the Arabesque CD from Henna Caravan so I hope it's good! I am definitely eyeing the Mehndi de los Meurtos and all the others too!
There are beautiful step-by-step tutorials on many of the popular henna design elements on the Henna Page. I usually don't bother much with legs because mine don't take a stain very well. Feet are a good starter canvas but I say don't fear the hands either. Doing a lot of dishes or taking a swim in a chlorinated pool can get a not-that-hot henna design off pretty quickly!

Since we're talking gear, I mentioned I love Rajasthani henna but I forgot to mention I am all about using mylar cones. I have yet to try a bottle - maybe sometime here.

rainbowmoon's Avatar rainbowmoon 09:19 PM 11-29-2009
thanks for all the tips! I am soaking it up!

btw, I asked about legs and feet because that would probably be easiest for me as a newbie, right? I mean symmetry and all? I really highly doubt I am skilled enough to use my non dominate hand yet! (wouldn't want to see that mess and have to wear it for days either!) I am also facepainter so I wonder if I can practice painting my designs first? (I mean before my kit comes) someone else told me to practice with water on paper bags. Has anyone tried that? I'm sure I will be practicing alot on myself though as I don't know a whole lot of people in the area yet!

what is the difference between using the cones or plastic bottles? Do both use the metal tips or is that just for use with the bottles? I am not sure which I ordered..will have to go back and look now!
rainbowmoon's Avatar rainbowmoon 09:20 PM 11-29-2009
ps) I wish that old thread hadn't disappeared! It was massive and had a ton of good info.! (I used to lurk there)
Ammaarah's Avatar Ammaarah 09:48 PM 11-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
ps) I wish that old thread hadn't disappeared! It was massive and had a ton of good info.! (I used to lurk there)
One old thread exists here.

I have not tried bottles for henna yet. When I got started I bought premade tubes when I was in Bangladesh - a lot like toothpaste tubes with a thin tip, and those gave limited control. They were also boosted with dyes or chemicals so not as good as pure henna. But anyway, I got started with cones and they give great control. I worry that the bottles would be like the premade tubes, control-wise, but like I said I have yet to try them. LOL.

Mylar cones are just a wide triangle of mylar and you roll it a certain way (great directions on many henna sites) and then fill and tape it. You barely have to apply pressure and you'll get great control.

Definitely feet and legs are a great canvas for a noob, esp in winter! You'll be surprised at how quickly you get good at it. I went from eek, not cute designs, to really pretty in a short time. And I'm not super artistic either. I can draw well but not expertly. I've always been a doodler, though, and I think henna's a great medium for doodlers!
CorasMama's Avatar CorasMama 11:09 PM 11-29-2009
Jac bottles are fine, and some people swear by them, but my hand gets sore. The only thing I like about them is that you can switch easily between .5mm, .7mm, and .9mm tips. But I just make a couple of cones with different size openings. (I make my cones with the tip so tight it's closed, then snip the tip to the size opening I want. It takes practice.)
lilylove's Avatar lilylove 12:10 PM 12-01-2009
Ammaarah, it was your original thread that prompted me to start playing with henna. Yeah, I'm really bummed that HennaMuse's shop is closed. I loved her oil blends.
Hope your first gig is great!

I just ordered some rajasthani, I've been using straight jamila, but I really prefer a mix of the two.

Rainbowmoon, I have the Mehndi de los Muertes and I love it. Here is my first try. Sorry for the poor quality pic.

I haven't used a jac bottle. I love cones and they work well for me, so I haven't bothered buying bottles and tips to play with.
rainbowmoon's Avatar rainbowmoon 12:35 PM 12-01-2009
Ammaarah- thanks for the URL to the old thread!

lily- that is awesome! I it!

My kit shipped yesterday!!!

btw, on the face paint forum I frequent alot of the artists do multi colored glitter mehndi or use the liquid bling to dress it up. SOOOO pretty! Do any of you use glitters or what else?

oh and I had to laugh a thread I was just reading earlier there was a mehndi artist who teaches classes and she suggests using catsup or chocolate (syrup?) to practice. mmmmm!
~D~'s Avatar ~D~ 02:15 AM 12-02-2009
Subbing... Bought DD a kit last year but she never used it, I might drag it out and have some fun with her!
rainbowmoon's Avatar rainbowmoon 04:25 PM 12-02-2009
does anyone know anything about these specific cones or maybe recognize them?

http://www.facepaintforum.com/face-p...4949b55c050dce

(was thinking of maybe buying/trading for some of these but am unsure as I am a newbie and have no idea about brands,types,etc....)

TIA for your help!
sleepingbeauty's Avatar sleepingbeauty 01:14 AM 12-03-2009
hi everyone. I'm an absolute beginner so I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you all. Hope I can hang out with you guys!

I have my first kit but I need to pick up some black tea for it....if I ever remember BEFORE I've already been through the check out at the store.... -_-*

Can't wait to get to know you guys!
crazyeight's Avatar crazyeight 01:49 PM 12-03-2009
i love henna! i have only had it done a few times but if i could get designs every month i would! i have NO artistic talent let alone control of this type of medium. i REALLY depseratly want to get a large one done on my belly and then i want some large sleeves. i don't know anyone around here that does them though! i saw an ad on tv but that's all i've ever seen of henna.
rainbowmoon's Avatar rainbowmoon 01:12 PM 12-04-2009
My kit arrived and it rocks! I will be having much fun this weekend!

lilylove's Avatar lilylove 10:32 AM 12-11-2009
So how's it going Rainbow?

Any pictures to share yet?
rainbowmoon's Avatar rainbowmoon 07:49 PM 12-16-2009
I have not even broke it out yet! Need to get some lemons!!!
sleepingbeauty's Avatar sleepingbeauty 02:45 PM 12-19-2009
Did my first few this week! It came out kinda runny though.... oh well, my feet look good, I'm happy.^-^ Just gotta learn from it. More powder!
sleepingbeauty's Avatar sleepingbeauty 05:18 PM 02-13-2010
been too long ladies! Anyone done good ones recently? I just finished round 1 of this batch...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=7867325e06

What do you think? Just doodles really... no real planning on these ones.
lilylove's Avatar lilylove 11:40 AM 02-14-2010
Great Kristen!
I wish my first doodles looked as good

Here are some of what I've done recently.
lmevans's Avatar lmevans 04:04 AM 02-16-2010
Henna is so cool!

I've been wanting to have my hair "dyed" with henna...but I'm horrible at doing stuff like that myself. Any ideas on how I can find someone in my area who has experience?

Thanks!
Magelet's Avatar Magelet 02:48 AM 02-18-2010
I've been wanting to try henna for a while, but haven't really had the courage. body art, probably not hair.

While I'd love to try hennaing my hair, it's too long, and i'm growing it out longer. It would take forever to grow it out if I don't like it, and I don't think a strand test would be enough to see if I love it for several years, kwim?
sleepingbeauty's Avatar sleepingbeauty 10:13 AM 02-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilylove View Post
Great Kristen!
I wish my first doodles looked as good

Here are some of what I've done recently.
Thanks! My computer says your link is broken... T^T
lilylove's Avatar lilylove 10:37 AM 02-18-2010
mlh's Avatar mlh 11:22 PM 02-20-2010
I just recently tried henna for the first time and loved it! I bought a kit and found it super easy for a first timer to mix up and get started! So fun and so addicting!! The kids and I were covered in artwork by the end of it all and my husband even got in on the action!
mlh's Avatar mlh 11:24 PM 02-20-2010
Awesome!! thanks so much for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbeauty View Post
been too long ladies! Anyone done good ones recently? I just finished round 1 of this batch...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=7867325e06

What do you think? Just doodles really... no real planning on these ones.

mlh's Avatar mlh 11:26 PM 02-20-2010
Beautiful! love the belly artwork!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilylove View Post

PPK's Avatar PPK 03:19 AM 02-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmevans View Post
Henna is so cool!

I've been wanting to have my hair "dyed" with henna...but I'm horrible at doing stuff like that myself. Any ideas on how I can find someone in my area who has experience?

Thanks!
Its not difficult once you get the hang of it. Messy, but not difficult! So throw down a towel over your bathroom floor/sink before you apply it.

I love www.hennaforhair.com

If you go to the subheading "mixes" you should be able to scroll down and see several dozen pics of peoples hair and how they mixed theirs.

I loved Jamila brand, you can find it through a link to tapdancinglizard. I recently got a different brand from their site from Yemen and I liked it even more.

They sell good quality and you want Body Art Quality henna for your hair.

I leave mine on for about 5-6 hours, and I get good grey coverage at this amount of time..any less and its not enough.

I love henna!!
mommy22boys's Avatar mommy22boys 06:05 AM 02-22-2010
I've just been reading this thread, I've had henna done on me several times, but I think it'd be a fun hobby to learn how to do it myself.
I love when the stain is almost red... does anyone know what brand or where I can order henna like that? I've seen some that do get really dark but look more like dark orange/brown rather than the pretty red I'm thinking of. Does anyone know what I mean? And where I can find henna like that?
I'm also wondering where is a good place to order a henna kit if I live in Canada?
lilylove's Avatar lilylove 11:22 AM 02-22-2010
I'm not sure your going to find a full-proof red henna or recipe for red henna. as there seems to be a lot of variables. Some say Rajasthani gives a redder stain, some say lemon juice in the mix makes it redder, and I've heard it just has alot to do with your own body chemistry.
My stains tend towards a reddish brown instead of an orangish. I use a mix of Rajasthani and Jamila and I use lemon juice.

There are a few places in Canada that sell kits. I've ordered from Henna Sooq before and liked her quality. I also liked her shampoo bars
:
mommy22boys's Avatar mommy22boys 01:26 PM 02-22-2010
Thank you, I'll check out that store. Oh I see so I guess I just have to try out different mixtures and see what gives the stain I like..
Heinleinesque's Avatar Heinleinesque 01:49 PM 03-05-2010
I love hennaforhair.com. It's a fantastic resource and I love the quality of the punjabi henna I bought from them.

That said... I just did my first touch-up since becoming pregnant, and... oy. I usually leave henna in for 5-6 hours but I made it not quite two hours this time because of the smell! Usually I like the smell, but this time, with my hypersensitive nose, I spent the whole two hours trying not to puke.

I mix mine with caradamon, clove, coffee, and ACV. Any ideas on what I can do to get it to smell more tolerable next time? Or this baby, my first, is going to born to a mama with gray That was Sunday and I'm still urping from the smell of my own hair when it's wet in the shower, ugh.
witchypants's Avatar witchypants 04:46 PM 05-17-2010
Just dug out my bag of henna stuff since moving - thought this would be a good time to sub!
1  2 3 

Up