Mothering Forum banner

Henna Lovers, and Mehndi Mamas!

9K views 70 replies 23 participants last post by  WasabiMommi 
#1 ·
I remember there was a tribe, but it seems to be closed now. So I thought I would start a new one

I've been playing with henna lately. I have a lot to learn, but I'm really having fun!

I have a few questions too

See less See more
#52 ·
I just recently tried henna for the first time and loved it! I bought a kit and found it super easy for a first timer to mix up and get started! So fun and so addicting!! The kids and I were covered in artwork by the end of it all and my husband even got in on the action!

#53 ·
Awesome!! thanks so much for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepingbeauty View Post
been too long ladies! Anyone done good ones recently? I just finished round 1 of this batch...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=7867325e06

What do you think? Just doodles really... no real planning on these ones.

#55 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmevans View Post
Henna is so cool!

I've been wanting to have my hair "dyed" with henna...but I'm horrible at doing stuff like that myself. Any ideas on how I can find someone in my area who has experience?

Thanks!
Its not difficult once you get the hang of it. Messy, but not difficult! So throw down a towel over your bathroom floor/sink before you apply it.

I love www.hennaforhair.com

If you go to the subheading "mixes" you should be able to scroll down and see several dozen pics of peoples hair and how they mixed theirs.

I loved Jamila brand, you can find it through a link to tapdancinglizard. I recently got a different brand from their site from Yemen and I liked it even more.

They sell good quality and you want Body Art Quality henna for your hair.

I leave mine on for about 5-6 hours, and I get good grey coverage at this amount of time..any less and its not enough.

I love henna!!

#56 ·
I've just been reading this thread, I've had henna done on me several times, but I think it'd be a fun hobby to learn how to do it myself.
I love when the stain is almost red... does anyone know what brand or where I can order henna like that? I've seen some that do get really dark but look more like dark orange/brown rather than the pretty red I'm thinking of. Does anyone know what I mean? And where I can find henna like that?
I'm also wondering where is a good place to order a henna kit if I live in Canada?

#57 ·
I'm not sure your going to find a full-proof red henna or recipe for red henna. as there seems to be a lot of variables. Some say Rajasthani gives a redder stain, some say lemon juice in the mix makes it redder, and I've heard it just has alot to do with your own body chemistry.
My stains tend towards a reddish brown instead of an orangish. I use a mix of Rajasthani and Jamila and I use lemon juice.

There are a few places in Canada that sell kits. I've ordered from Henna Sooq before and liked her quality. I also liked her shampoo bars

:

#59 ·
I love hennaforhair.com. It's a fantastic resource and I love the quality of the punjabi henna I bought from them.

That said... I just did my first touch-up since becoming pregnant, and... oy. I usually leave henna in for 5-6 hours but I made it not quite two hours this time because of the smell! Usually I like the smell, but this time, with my hypersensitive nose, I spent the whole two hours trying not to puke.

I mix mine with caradamon, clove, coffee, and ACV. Any ideas on what I can do to get it to smell more tolerable next time? Or this baby, my first, is going to born to a mama with gray
That was Sunday and I'm still urping from the smell of my own hair when it's wet in the shower, ugh.

#61 ·
Anyone know if it's safe to henna your hair during pregnancy?

Also, I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get (from the hennaforhair website). My hair is dark brown, with greys. The goal is to cover the grey....but my whole head isnt grey....

Any suggestions? Please? lol Never done this before.

#62 ·
first of all SUBBING!!!

I have been using henna in my hair for three years--I get it from henna caravan--they sell the old body henna for use in hair (As in last year's henna) and it is good quality. I just mix it with water for my hair, never tried anything fancier than that, but it works nicely.

I've just started getting more involved with body henna myself. I had someone do my belly for me when I was pregnant the first time, and wasn't really that happy with it. The design was meh, but more especially the henna was completely gone in just over a week...I dont' know how she mixed her henna but obviously it didn't last.
I got togther with a couple of friends and hennacaravan's "expecting" kit and did a group effort belly design with this last baby, and it was awesome (also it lasted over two weeks--clearly a quality paste makes a huge difference!)...then I had all this leftover henna, and I just couldn't stop playing with it. I drew on most of the family I think... Then I stuck it in the freezer for a few months, but this week I had a girls' night out and brought it and 5 of us drew all over each other and had a ball. After that I'm starting to think of going into this professionally--I know I need to spend a lot more time practicing, but I'm thinking of perhaps setting up a booth at the farmer's market and doing it with just a little donation jar--I am not super slow but I'm not super fast, and if I did donations rather than set prices then everybody would feel fair about it I figure, and I'd be able to cover my expenses while I'm learning. I have a little flickr page of what I've doodled on the family this week...I'm definitely not feeling pro yet, but I am having fun.

Here's a question in regard to oils--the "expecting" kit came with lavendar, since it's safe for pregnancy of course. So that's all I've really worked with. I like lavendar, I like the way it smells, I'm content with the time that the stain stays...is there any good reason to dabble with other EOs? I'm thinking that it might be good to stick with lavendar for kids too, don't you think? I mean, if the other oils have potential dangers for pregnant women then doesn't it make sense to avoid them for kids?

#63 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmevans View Post
Anyone know if it's safe to henna your hair during pregnancy?
I did, and my baby doesn't have extra fingers or anything
imo, henna is a lot safer than something like nail polish...I figured if it was ok to do my belly then it was ok to do my hair.

I use plain jamila henna with water though, no blends, so i can't speak to that.

#64 ·
I was looking for this thread the other day - thank goodness you managed to find it and posted other wise i don't think I would have ever got there - lol, we've been cracking out the henna, did some really good little ones on my dd's hands, feet and legs and have had loads of interest from the north african ladies around here so think I shall be getting some work soon, i need to work on some extra designs and remember to take photos of the work, I always forget!!! Thanks for bringing this thread back!

#65 ·
So, for those that do body art henna, do you mix the henna just like you do for hair? Henna plus lemon juice. Or is there more to it? And then, when you apply it, how long do you leave it on?

Maybe I am thinking wrong, but, don't you wash it off after a while? And when you do, does it stain the rest of the skin? Or do you just wash it fast?

This whole body art henna stuff sounds so cool.

#66 ·
When I mix our henna we mix the powder with lemon juice, honey and a little essential oil such as tto or lavendar - earlier on in the thread there is a discussion as to what folk like to use and various different websites. Once the henna has dried you can rub it off but if you use water then the actual stain is removed as well, it's best to leave the stain for at least 24 hours, personally when the henna is dried I do the algerian thing of dabbing it with a mixture of lemon juice and sugar - or honey, and leave that on for as long as possible so that it is sealed - I know others use liquid latex but i find the sugar solution fine enough - I'll see in the future what i want to do. Best of all you can just have fun - we love it!!

#67 ·
Isn't body art henna supposed to last for a couple of months or so? I know when I did my hair and tested the henna on my palm it was there for about three weeks or so, and I just left it on for a tiny amount of time to test the dye release.

Perhaps it is the quality of the henna that makes it last longer. I thought about playing with my children to see what it would look like.

#68 ·
Too cool! I'm sitting here with henna on my hair and just saw this on new posts while I wait for my henna to take. I've not done anything myself other than my hair but a girlfriend of mine has done a few designs on my hands.

A little ways up thread someone asked about how to cover greys with henna, and I add 2 tablespoons of ACV for that purpose. For my hair I use black coffee instead of water, an egg, a bit of EVOO, ACV, and usually some powdered Rosemary to help with the smell. Rosemary is also good for your hair, but I'm not sure about it's safety during pregnancy/nursing, although I ate it when I was pregnant.

I'd like to get into doing mehndi art on myself and DD. This thread and all of the wonderful pictures is very inspiring.

#69 ·
I have always blended the powder with plain water for using in my hair. It is permenant, although of course the hair grows out, and the color does fade...but it doesn't wash out.

The only way I've mixed henna for skin painting is with lemon juice, sugar, and lavendar EO--that was the directions in the kit I got and I just stuck with it cuz I'm a novice.
As for how long it lasts on skin, that depends a lot on the person and the placement...basically the henna is permenant on skin as well, but of course our skin sloughs off bit by bit and so usually the skin in a given place is totally replaced within 2-3 weeks (some places are faster, or because of skin oils/body chemistry the skin doesn't take the dye as well to begin with). I think the shortest I've had is about a week, the longest is about 2 1/2...that's on my body. ymmv of course.
Typically it stains darkest on the hands and feet, and gets paler the closer you get to the center of teh body. Faces have a lot of oils and usually don't stain very well.

#70 ·
Actually, I have heard that good quality henna when the dye is released slowly with lemon juice an cooler temps will not fade on hair when properly applied. I have hennaed my hair for the first and second time in the last couple of months, and it has not faded one bit. Of course, I am dark haired, so perhaps if I were light haired it may be different.

I have read that if you release your henna dye with a high temp, or quickly, with water it will fade. Maybe that is why mine did not fade. I used straight lemon juice and let the dye release in a cooler spot for 12 hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.