Camping Mamas - it's finally spring! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2009, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: Spring is here! Time to camp! :
Who's with me? I'd love to get this tribe going again.

A little about us - we camp in a pop up camper, towed by our mini van. We have 4 kids, ages 9, 7, 5, and almost 3. This is our third summer camping & we love it. We go on trips about 3x/month, mostly long weekends when we can. We enjoy all of nature - hiking, swimming, biking - and mainly having that awesome uninterupted family time together.

Looking forward to hearing from other camping families.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 AM

I would like to join this!

We have 2 boys, ages 6 and 4 and both of them had their first camping trip at 3 months old. : )

We went camping over Easter weekend - it was so pleasant. The Easter bunny came to the campground and filled up their Easter baskets, and left eggs to find around our camp site. We may make that a tradition. It was fun.

We're camping this weekend with cousins so the boys will be in heaven.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:14 PM

I'm in again.

We are tent campers--car camping and backpacking. Still on the cold side to camp here in WA, but were going to UT for a 10 day trip in two weeks. So excited!
Old 04-28-2009, 11:39 AM

Ah, I love to camp. We have a pop-up and two kids, almost 7 and almost 4.

I grew up RV'ing, we went everywhere. Mostly short trips to nearby state parks, but also longer trips to the shore or to Disney and then there was the Tour of the Western U.S. when bro and I were teens. So many good memories of being out biking, hiking, swimming, campfires...

We never seem to get away as much as we'd like to! But then I remember, when I was a kid our family didn't even get started camping until I (the youngest) was five years old. We started camping when our first was just one so I guess if we get out even a couple times a year while the kids are still little we are doing okay!

I'm working on improving my "outdoor kitchen" for the RV. I think RV's should be built with an outdoor kitchen set-up. I do not go camping to be stuck inside cooking and doing the dishes! And yet, the fridge, stove, counter, sink, and cabinets are all inside. Go figure.

Jen
Old 05-20-2009, 11:28 PM

Had to dig deep to find this thread! We've done one camping trip this summer and are planning several more- including this weekend!

We're sharing meals with another couple, sandwich stuff for lunch... but what are your favorite breakfast ideas? I got a pie iron, so I'm thinking scrambling some eggs and making a breakfast sandwich would be really yummy. Dinner? Probably veggies and sausages or something like that. Unless you sway me with some other yummy and easy meal!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:22 AM

I made the yummiest meal camping the other weekend.

I took a few zuchinnis and sliced each one down the middle and cut out a "top" the length of the zuchinni. Brush with olive oil or butter, salt and pepper. Wrap in tin foil and put on the fire grill. After roasted, I added some goat cheese to the inside of each zuchinni and warmed again. Oh, I peeled my zuchinni before cooking it too.

Yummy, and easy!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:19 PM

Can I join? We are tent campers, we lived in a travel trailer for awhile, but camping for us is in a tent!! That zuchinni recipe sounds so yummy!! I'll be adding that to the list.

DS1's first camping trip was at 6 weeks, and DS2's will be this summer! YAY!!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 PM

Both DH and I grew up camping and love it. We have been camping a couple times since we've been married, but we have always stayed in someone else's camper with them. We have a tent, but I just get too sore from the ground or air mattress. We will invest in a camper one of these days. We actually get to go camping again in a few weeks and are super excited.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 PM

Do you think this thread isn't as active because "Camping" is misspelled in the title? Can we fix it?

We just went on our second camping trip a couple weeks ago to Mt. Hood- it was gorgous! We had a lot of fun with the pie iron/hobo pie maker thing. We made breakfast sandwiches, dessert, grilled onions, even cinnamon rolls!

We just made a reservation for 4 nights near Bend (Oregon) in a few weeks. We are definitely weekend campers, so we're looking forward to staying longer this time.

We also have been doing some geocaching on our hikes and look forward to continuing that when we go camping.

Hooray for summer!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell View Post
Do you think this thread isn't as active because "Camping" is misspelled in the title? Can we fix it?
Fixed. :

Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 PM

Hi there,
We are going camping for my son's 5th birthday. We haven't done any "back country" camping since we were way younger and without a little one in tow. I don't remember planning ahead at all back then.

We have a 4 mile beach hike in to our site... and DS won't be carrying anything more than his blankies and maybe some small things in his little pack. We plan on 2 nights (one full day, 2 partial days) and I need help meal planning.

Keeping in mind we have to haul in our own water and everything... any ideas? I am not much of a cook/ meal planner in normal everyday life, let alone for this sort of thing.

So let's hear your yummiest, easiest, not to heavy, low maintenance camping meals?

x-posting in mindful home management....

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Ok, I am back to answer my own question.

I emailed a good friend who has experience with this and here's what he sent me. I thought I would post it in case it might be helpful for other mamas looking to do the same thing.

We're also considering using our kayak. I am still researching the logistics, but it seems we MIGHT be able to hike OR kayak out to the sights. So we're considering sending one adult in the kayak with either heavier gear or with DS and some other gear to ease the load.

Here is the food info:

"I read the rules that say you can cook over a fire so don't carry a stove. Just apply dish soap to the outside of your pots with a little toilet paper before cooking. The soot will bake onto the soap and clean up will be a breeze. If you don't do this getting the soot off will be difficult to impossible. Trust me on this one - personal experience.

Few cans or glass bottles. Both are heavy

Breakfast
- oatmeal with added raisins, dried apple chunks, nuts like almonds, sunflower seeds etc. whatever. Powdered milk + brown sugar. Crystal Light is the lightest beverage flavoring if Z. doesn't drink lots of plain water

- pancakes. Buy a mix that doesn't require milk or eggs to be added. Take a small amount of syrup in a small plastic bottle; don't take the whole bottle. Take cooking oil in a film cannister. That is enough for 1 - 2 meals that require frying like pancakes

- you can now buy precooked bacon that doesn't require refrigeration. Nice addition to the pancakes; just heat and serve

- bagels and jam. Toast bagels if you want.

Lunches

- hard cheeses will survive quite happily if kept in the shade. waxed goudas, cheddar, etc. No Brie
- dry sausages and salamis also don't require refrigeration
- crackers to serve your sausage and cheese on. Rye crisps are sturdy as are Stone Wheat Thins. No Ritz crap that will be powder in 20 minutes
- small rye breads are also durable and keep well in the heat
- 1 can tuna / envelopes of mayo from convenience store like 7-11 / kaiser roll
- dried fruit / trail mix (with M&Ms instead of choc chips / hard candies for treats
- beef jerky

- 1 package Knorr dried soup mix in case of bad weather (contains MSG so caution if you are sensitive)

Dinners
- pasta. Can cook with 1/3 seawater but it does use a lot of water. Use less water than you would at home. It will be a bit starchy but o.k.
- sauces for pasta: You can buy Knorr ones that are just add water. Not too much in them food wise but are simple. Or sometimes you can get tomato sauces in little tetra bricks. Or take a small can of tomato paste + water, chop up and fry a small onion, mushrooms etc., add dried basil/oregano, etc. You can take small amount of frozen ground beef for a first night meal.

- boil in bag meals for the culinary challenged. Indian ones & serve with rice. When the rice comes to a boil on the fire, take it off and leave it at the edge of the fire, turning the pot every few minutes. Don't keep it right on a big heat or it will burn

- stir fry veggies + rice. If it's the first night you can take frozen chunks of meat (pork shoulder, pre cut up and pre-marinated is my favorite). premade teriyaki sauce in film cannister. Takes little water except for rice.

Water
- plastic 1 gal jugs are the best in terms of container weight / water carried. Water is very heavy so only take just enough. Consider carefully drinking water / cooking / rinse water. Catch rain off tent fly into a pot if it rains. Take a few baby wipes for cleaning bodies.

Other:
- we have a tradition that the trail fairy will leave candies for hard working hikers along the trail at irregular intervals. Sure motivates the smaller hiker (and big ones too sometimes)

- Breaks when the first person is tired. It's not a race; it's supposed to be fun, so take your time getting there. It's also a long drive so give Z some beach play time before setting out. I usually say 5 min break / 1 hr for hiking but with somebody small extend to 10 minutes.

Wash all dishes in salt water and rinse in salt water with final rinse in fresh just like on a boat.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:02 AM

I am planning on going on a couple of 4 day 3 night hikes this summer with my dd. I was wondering if anyone has an experience with high peak backpacks and tents. I found a great deal for them here. Even though I am on a budget I don't want to skimp and get something that will break or get us wet.
Some of the meal ideas look yummy! I will probably be giving them a try.

Sugaree hippie mama: to one perfect daughter 9/07: one money-pit:
We : we share a:Right now we are: :
Old 06-25-2009, 11:41 AM

Does anyone have advice for me? I am an experience camper (tent camping), but will be going camping with my 9 month old son for the first time on July 3rd. Are there any not-so-obvious things I need to plan ahead for (ie in terms of camping with a baby)?
Thanks all!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doula2Doula View Post
Does anyone have advice for me? I am an experience camper (tent camping), but will be going camping with my 9 month old son for the first time on July 3rd. Are there any not-so-obvious things I need to plan ahead for (ie in terms of camping with a baby)?
Thanks all!
Lots of diapers! Better to have too many than too few. A big sealable bag to put them in; don't try to do laundry when you're camping, just bring them home to wash.
Have your meals all prepped beforehand so you can make something to eat in a flash.
Somewhere to put baby while you set up. I found trying to set up with a babe in sling or backpack was really awkward and kind of dangerous. We would strap baby into stroller so we could all see each other and she was safe and out of harm's way. She was not normally a "stroller baby" but for a short while to get set up it was a good solution.

Have fun!!!

Jen
Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 AM

Thanks Jen! Good call on finding somewhere for the babe to sit while we set up, especially since he's ready to crawl any day now!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:22 PM

So glad to have found this group! My husband first got me into camping while we where dating and it's been great! We had started to get backpacking gear last summer but then found out I was pregnant and have not been able to go yet. I'm not ready to leave DS for more than overnight so it might be a while till we go. We tent camp still though. DS had his first camping trip memorial weekend, he did great! we had a blast. We're in the process of planning a camping trip to WV right now which is really exciting! Does anyone have any ideas for good places to camp in the midwest?

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

Old 07-24-2009, 07:17 PM

Hi!! We LOVE LOVE LOVE to camp! we are tent campers, but we camp in style!! We were given this giant tent for our wedding and we call it the condo! This will be DS first camping trip and I am a little worried. We will be gone a whole week and DH wont be with us most of the time (he just got his job back, cant really take vacation). I really dont know what to do about diapers, not sure I have enough for a whole week. also, DS is very active and kind of clumsy, how do I keep him safe while we are at the campsite? or when I have to get stuff together for meals?
any help is appreciated!!
~Jillian
: hee hee I love this one!!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:40 PM

we have a portable highchair that can hook to the picnic tables at the sites. We also brought along our pack and play and ds hung out in that. It worked great because there was so much stuff for him to look at that he never really got fussy. I would definetly suggest you bring more than one place for him to be able to be if you can't hold him because he may get board with the same place for to long. Also we don't have enough cloth diapers for a week and it also added a lot to our packing amount so we just brought disposable for the trip. It worked out really good and I had a few days off from washing diapers!

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:50 PM

We love to camp! We went last month, when the baby was only 8 days old! It went so well. We were in a tent, sleeping on foam mattresses. It was actually really comfy. We're going for a week as a family in September, and I'm really excited about that!

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 PM

Huge fans of camping and we love our North Face tent, but the 2 things I always schlep from my kitchen is my cast iron pan and my Italian Coffee Maker : http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Expre...ef=pd_sbs_k_15

Have not been camping with my 10mos old but my 7yr old loves it as long as we bring his bike! We have all our bikes with us everywhere!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:21 PM

I grew up camping and then camped all through single-hood.
DH and I love to camp. We had DS in April - so we are very much looking forward to introducing Jonah to the joys of camping.
We tent, but I'm sure we'll be moving to a pop-up one of these days in the near future.
I'd love to join this group!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollySunshine View Post
We tent, but I'm sure we'll be moving to a pop-up one of these days in the near future.
Hi and welcome, Molly!
We have a tent trailer and I love it. But for our first and so far only camping trip this season I went tenting with the kids. It was really fun and I do love tenting BUT 3 nights with three people on that air mattress was getting to be no fun - I missed the nice bed in the camper! Also having so much room in the camper is great on rainy days.
Anyway, as far as the tent trailer goes, I do wish I had gotten one with a bathroom. Dragging the porta-potti out of its cabinet and closing all the curtains a dozen times a day to pee does get old. Integral graywater and blackwater tanks might be nice too.
Also I wish I had gotten one with the big storage trunk on the front. I would put my outdoor kitchen stuff in it. I don't even use the kitchen inside - I didn't go camping to be inside!- but it does make set-up and tear-down longer to get out and set up the kitchen and then tear it down and stow it away.
We are going to get out camping at least one more time this year - and we're going to take the camper next time too!

Jen
Old 08-18-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Close2Me View Post
Huge fans of camping and we love our North Face tent, but the 2 things I always schlep from my kitchen is my cast iron pan and my Italian Coffee Maker
Oh yeah, gotta have the stove-top espresso maker!
DH had never camped before he met me, and the thing keeping him from getting really into it was the lack of a decent cup of coffee. We tried so many different ways and the coffee always sucked. Then we found the Italian stove-top espresso maker and he's been a happy camper ever since. In fact it is what we started using at home so it is now the only way we make coffee, home or camping.
Love me my cast iron, too!

Jen
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 PM

joining the thread, and will come back again soon...

In the meantime, in the answer to the pp w/ 9 month old... my son escaped from the tent at that age... it was our first time camping w/ a mobile baby and we did not think to close the zip up high. he was only about 10 ft away before my sleepy self missed him, but it FREAKED ME OUT. Its on my list of lessons learned re camping w/ kids, and I would totally dig it if those of you with advice for other folks camping w/ kids could add to the comment section!

For back country food: couscous takes less water than pasta and does not waste any!

We have had a lean camping year so far, save for a couple nights in tent cabins in the grand tetons (best thunder storm ever) in July. We are headed to the shores of the Allegheny river in PA in the fall, but may cheat and sleep in mobile home. We hope to do some VA, MD and WV weekends over the next couple months, but our crazy life keeps getting in the way!

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
Old 08-25-2009, 03:47 PM

We call Camping "Pretend Sleep" jokingly!!!
Love it anyway!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:57 PM

OK, we're pretty lame since we had kids. So far we've slept out in the backyard (complete w/black bear sighting in the morn'). This summer my closest gal pals and I are taking our five year olds to Jelly Stone Park campground. I have no clue what it is except we'll be in a tent, near water and there's actually facilities. Me? I prefer to pee in the woods....

Anyway ... can't wait!!

If my daughter's inspired, we'll try a more rustic camping spot ... on some remote land down the road from us.

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Woohoo! We can't wait to begin camping this year! Usually we have started by now, but dh is recovering from back surgery, so we have to wait a couple more weeks until he can be back to normal activity.

We also have a pop up camper & love it. It's fully equiped - potty, sink, oven, fridge. There are 6 of us plus a dog, so we like the space. We really only use it to sleep & rest in, and it sure is nice & cozy for rainy days.

One trick we've learned is to dress the kids in "camping clothes." After showers at night they wear sweats, t-shirts & sweatshirts (if needed) to bed. Then when they get up in the am they are all dressed and ready to go out to the campfire. Another time & sanity saver is after washing the girls' hair I put it into braids. They sleep in them & keep them in the next day. It keeps their hair neat, out of the way, and I don't have to deal w/all the snarls & wild hair camping would usually bring. And for down time at the campsite, I try to pack an art craft or two when they need some entertaining. Modeling clay is very portable & the kids incorporated some nature themes into it. Painting rocks & sticks is fun & the mess stays outdoors!

Anyone else have any tips to share?

Would folks like to share your favorite camping meals?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 AM

Our family loves camping too. I don't think we will have a chance to camp until August when DH will be using some of his vacation time.

We had a hard time last year because our daughter was almost 18 months old. She loved camping, except for sleeping in the tent. At night she would run around inside the tent, cry and finally fall asleep. She just wasn't used to sleeping without a "bed". Now that she is older I'm hoping she has an easier time sleeping in a tent. : )
Old 05-17-2010, 06:53 PM

We used to be tent campers until we had our 2nd daughter. Last summer we drove from TX to CA and camped by the beach in our travel trailer for 3 weeks. I don't think I could have handled tent camping that long with 5 people.

This summer we will probably not camp that much because TX summers are BRUTAL. There are no mountains to make it cooler. I am a CA transplant so I am not cut out for the heat.

Mama to 3 amazing girls

User Tag List