SCA Mama's! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 123 Old 11-04-2010, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah, then, what are you? Maybe someone can figure out a place where you'd be possible, or even likely!, to exist (as it were).

Honestly, once you get past the idea that anyone from the next town is a suspicious stranger, I think there was, overall, not that much concept of miscegenation or whatever nonsense they came up with to validate slave trade. (Y'know after "we won" stopped working.)

ETA: by "what are you?" I mean what's your genetic background and is there any part of it you identify with particularly? Perhaps in the modern world you celebrate a lot of customs associated with one part and you could emphasize another for your persona?

(or for that matter, dress entirely in the manner of your "new home" (whatever your friends wear) and have a few trinkets and keepsakes in memory of your various grandparents. practically speaking, dressing the same as the people you'll be rooming with has a LOT of benefits when spending two weeks in a place where the mud can be....pervasive.)
#92 of 123 Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 AM

My mother is 3/4 Russian and 1/4 Polish (if you round ); 100% Jewish. My father was Very Very Mixed. I'm part NA, part Chinese, part Irish and part AA. He had freckles, hazel-green eyes, and dark brownish hair (according to my mother, who doesn't discuss him all that much). I don't particularly identify with anything because I don't particularly look like anything. If you're expecting me to be NA, for example, you'll believe that I'm NA. If you're expecting me to be Israeli or Hawaiian or Polynesian, you'll believe that. Most people expect me to be white or Puerto Rican, so that's what they assume. If I lived in another part of the country (or the world) the expectations would mostly be different and they'd see something different.

Like I said-- mixed. I make an effort to look mixed so that there are fewer assumptions/expectations; Think of it as "race queer" if that helps.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#93 of 123 Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 PM

Honestly, "Norse" might be more mixed than it appears on the surface. While modern day "Norse" triggers thoughts of tall, blond, milky skinned, blue eyed, viking types the "period" reality is a good deal more jumbled. It was more of a cultural group, and with extensive trading/travelling there was a good deal of variation about the edges (though yeah, still msotly on the blondy-blue side of the curve). Hurstwic has some nice pictures... And, well, I think Norse clothing is about as comfy as it gets after the early Irish stuff (my persona combines Irish and Viking garb, so the best of all worlds! ).

I did see a few NA personas at Pennsic a few years ago but it wasn't a big group or a common persona... it just barely fits into the SCA guidelines (culture known to Europe up to the Elizabethan age). Japanese personas seem to be on the rise though! And "generic anglo-saxon" with no noticable persona is fine too... SCA persona's don't really include accents and stuff like that (no thee/thou Ren Faire speak for the most part) so there are plenty of people who haven't thought about personas and just like to participate without getting into that sort of detail.

I bet socks and "personals" would sell well at Pennsic (where it's cold, wet, muddy, hot, sticky, etc)... you do need a merchant license to sell stuff there, but that isn't too hard to get (especially if you partner with an established merchant) and I always see ads for "pennsic help" (some longer term things like helping at one of the food shops as well as shorter term things like general merchanting help during midnight madness).

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#94 of 123 Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 PM

My, this clothing-making can get complicated! I may try my hand at naalbinding eventually, but I'll probably stick to knitting for a while as I'm already very familiar with it. In the mean time, I will think about the persona issue and try to find my local SCAdians (I have had terrible luck with this, even though I know that they exist-- at least on the internet). Thanks for the links!

#95 of 123 Old 11-05-2010, 12:28 PM

So... no one has answered your sock/stocking question yet (that I've seen, anyway), so here's what I have... Eleanora of Toledo Stockings and there are a couple of Islamic sock patterns, too. Sadly, I'm having sllloooowwww internet today, so I'm having problems getting links for you. Check out http://community.livejournal.com/knithistoric/ or the historic knit group on Ravelry. Oh, speaking of Ravelry, you can find me there also as MagpieWench

also, try search for "elizabethan knit stocking pattern"

Oh, a note: knitting was not used very much for socks/stockings until the 16th century, simply because it's a lot of work when weaving fabric, cutting it and sewing it into stockings is MUCH more efficient, especially when you look at the gauge of knitting stockings at the time. A friend is trying to recreate them with the right size thread, needles and gauge, and she says that with 4-5 hours of knitting a day, she gets about 1/2" a day. She's much more patient than I am!!!!! (The first time I met her, she was thrilled b/c she's just gotten a spool of reeled silk and size 10/0 knitting pins, and was trying to knit in the semi-dark of a bardic...) oh, here's the pouch she's doing instead of the actual stockings: http://webpages.charter.net/samagill/susan/eleanor.htm
#96 of 123 Old 11-05-2010, 05:09 PM

I'm a very fast knitter, if that helps. That said. . . yikes! I can only imagine that there must have been a more time-efficient way of doing things. In any case, if I can knit stockings for my Faire friends, I'm sure they'll be stoked. I'm really looking forward to trying nålbinding, too.

#97 of 123 Old 11-07-2010, 07:30 PM

weaving, cutting and sewing linen and wool stockings is WAY faster than knitting, but there is something satisfying about having handknit socks. Hats, mittens/gloves/gauntlets are more commonly knit, though. There are also sleeves/arm warmers called scoggers (I just remembered this last night) http://www.sca.org.au/fibre/projects...rs-hoggers.php
#98 of 123 Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 AM

Don't know if I should really be involved in this group or not since I'm not really in the SCA.

I've been interested in it for years, but something always comes up every time I want to pay the membership fees. I did go to Gulf Wars this past March and loved it! If the money works out, I want to attend in 2011, but I am not entirely sure how smart that would be. I'm due with baby #2 April 5, and Gulf Wars is mid-March. Anyone with experience with this sort of thing?

I had the thought the other day that, if I go, I hope there are doctors/nurses/midwives there just in case.

Married to DH since February 2005, mother of selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifDS (8/18/2008) and DD in (4/2/2011)!  lactivist.gif familybed2.gif  Expecting stork-suprise.gif February 2013!

#99 of 123 Old 12-29-2010, 02:54 PM

Gulf Wars is, from what I've heard, a very comfortable event. Hot showers available for everyone, decent temperatures and normal humidity, things fairly close together, shade! I've also heard that it's pretty kid friendly, but that was from people who don't have kids so grain of salt. You'd definitely want at least one more person with you to toddler wrangler if you're going to be 8 months along.

#100 of 123 Old 12-30-2010, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Gulf Wars: I've been once in '05, and the weather was a little crazy with cold nights and hot days that time, and a deluge of rain the night before we arrived and a late blizzard on the way driving down. But it was a nice event, good site. You're close to there, right? Should be fine for traveling there and just in case of labor. I say don't worry about being a paid member unless you plan to attend enough events for the non-member surcharges to add up, or you want to be an officer in your local group or something. I second the idea of having a kid wrangler along, maybe a friend who you pay the site fee for in exchange. Simple sideless surcotes with loose underdresses make good pregnancy and nursing garb, a lot of room to grow in and they move aside to breastfeed later on. With kids and/or pregnant it's easy to get overwhelmed at an SCA event, extra help is a must. Also having your food easy to prepare, site easy to set up, and clothes not too hard to get on right. And staying very well hydrated to avoid contractions (er, and camping near the toilets).

#101 of 123 Old 01-11-2011, 02:05 PM

Highland Foorde here!  I haven't been as active as I used to be since we're a few hours west of the bulk of the barony, but we're getting there.  One of my primary interests is the experiences and day-to-day life of children and mothers in 14th-cent. England, so I can do a lot of behind-the-scenes work at home even though I don't make meetings very often now.  I did pull off Pennsic while 8 months pregnant, then with a 9-month-old baby this last year.  (Holy cow, does nursing and perfectly documentable baby carrier ever make things easier!)  My husband isn't involved, but I have a great group of friends who all have slightly older children, and we all keep and eye and a spare hand out for all the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieWench View Post

Just found out I'm preggers with #2, and am returning to the Mothering boards.

DD is almost 3 1/2, and we've been active in the SCA (in varying degrees) since 2001. Participation is more constrained by money than small child, although I didn't do much the end of my pregnancy until the following fall except go to fighter practices and business meetings due to bed rest followed by extreme heat!

We're now living in Nottinghill Coill in the great Kingdom of Atlantia!

Any other Atlantian moms out there???

(we used to be active at CRF and NCRF, but it's way less expensive to do SCA a few times a year than go to Faire a few times every six months...

~Irmgard

#102 of 123 Old 02-13-2011, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ask me in a week about experience going to a big war while very pregnant. We're off to Estrella War in the morning. I'm 39 weeks pregnant as of next Tuesday. Many, many of my friends think I'm out of my mind. But I'm on the volunteer staff this year, and very nearly had no deputy to fall back on. She found out middle of last week she'll be able to make it after all, so if I go into labor and have to leave, youth activities won't have to be cancelled.

The fact that we have no Kingdom Youth Minister, and after I let everyone know EIGHT MONTHS AGO that I was going to be expecting a baby around the time of the event and no one stepped up to take my place (I had to practically shanghai my deputy into being such)...

Why do we do this again? Oh, yeah, it's FUN! (So I keep telling myself).

Seriously, though, I figure since there's an emergency room doctor who runs free urgent care on site, EMT's on site. at least one of the frequent Chirugeons is an L&D nurse and another is a paramedic who's delivered a few babies, and I'll be camping with the Kingdom Chirurgeon (as she's the head of my household), who plans on issuing me a radio, just in case, I packed my birth kit and infant carseat, JUST IN CASE, and, well, it's only an hour from home so if I go into labor, we'll leave the event and come home...and there's a hospital in Florence now, if there's an emergency situation, I've got all bases covered.

Jokes about having the baby in the Period Demo Center aside.

Oh, and I'd love to hear about that fully documented period baby carrier...

JamieCatheryn likes this.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#103 of 123 Old 02-14-2011, 02:41 PM

http://www.larsdatter.com/slings.htm

This site has several examples of period slings. However, I just realized that every single one of them is a depiction of an emergency situation. 

#104 of 123 Old 02-14-2011, 04:04 PM

There is a 1317 Vita of St. Denis that has this in the margin:

Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris MS fr. 2091 fol. 111r 240x160

Here is the entire page:

#105 of 123 Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 AM

Oh lords... so, having gone through the "making garb that is nursing friendly", I now find that I'm going to be roughly 36 weeks pregnant at Pennsic 40!  LOL

I found a few helpful "modify your garb to accomodate your belly" websites, and at least I have several months to prepare, but what a giggle!  All the garb I fussed and stressed over (and eventually left at home!) will have to be shelved till Pennsic 41 since it's all "easy access breast but form fitting through the midsection" and while I'm sure ds will still be interested in nursing this is baby number four and I /know/ I'll be leading with the belly by 36 weeks.

So... I think I'm back to my ancient bog dresses.  Clearly the universe is set against my dressing like a 8th century celt.  LOL

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#106 of 123 Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 AM

Congratulations!

And, side panels and lacing? Since you've got garb made already?

#107 of 123 Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 PM

Okay people, talk to me about kid shoes. I'm thinking getting a pair of plain black or brown shoes that fit dd and have nice protective modern soles and cutting them into sandals.

I've found that pretty period-ish shoes often have horrible soles and stop being comfy by the time I want to dance in them so I want comfort for dd first. But I'd like to try to get something less jarring than her bright pink flowered mary janes.

#108 of 123 Old 06-30-2011, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

I used my slings with garb.  I had a maya ring sling i used with garb, but most often just used a 5 yard piece of fabric and did a front cross wrap.  She loved it when she was a babe.

wombatclay: Wow, I would be afriad to have the baby at pennsic, though my labors were very fast, and one tried to come early.  LOL I guess if you did the baby really would be in the sca since birth! :)

Period shoes for kids:  Eh, I tend to not even wear period shoes myself, so i don't worry about it with the kids. Cutting a shoe to make a sandle might work good as long as you have enough support to keep it on the foot.

So sad to be missing pennsic 40.  I can't find anyone to watch the kids and taking them would just not work.  Still holding out hope that something will change and I can go last minute but so highly doubting it.  At least I know there is single camping right next to the group I camp with (since pre-reg is done)

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#109 of 123 Old 07-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

Okay people, talk to me about kid shoes. I'm thinking getting a pair of plain black or brown shoes that fit dd and have nice protective modern soles and cutting them into sandals.

For kids? Honestly, I  think anything is OK. And I'm from Calontir where we take period footwear pretty seriously!

I find that crocs are great for my kids at muddy wars and events. If I can convince the DD not to want the bright purple or orange ones, so much the better, but if not so be it. She's in all of my Laureling pictures in bright orange crocs. It's fine.

Personally, I would not take perfectly good shoes and cut them into sandals, but that's just me.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#110 of 123 Old 07-15-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Oh lords... so, having gone through the "making garb that is nursing friendly", I now find that I'm going to be roughly 36 weeks pregnant at Pennsic 40!  LOL

I found a few helpful "modify your garb to accomodate your belly" websites, and at least I have several months to prepare, but what a giggle!  All the garb I fussed and stressed over (and eventually left at home!) will have to be shelved till Pennsic 41 since it's all "easy access breast but form fitting through the midsection" and while I'm sure ds will still be interested in nursing this is baby number four and I /know/ I'll be leading with the belly by 36 weeks.

So... I think I'm back to my ancient bog dresses.  Clearly the universe is set against my dressing like a 8th century celt.  LOL

Roman Garb will probably be the most easy to whip up for BF.   http://www.feochadan.com/html/roman-fever.shtml is a good site for info on Roman clothing (if your curious).  I too will be attending Pennsic with a baby in tow (DD is going to be 6 months).  These next couple of weeks are going to be a flurry of sewing in my household.  We weren't sure if we were going to be able to attend this year, so didn't really make any preparations. For carting DD around, I was just going to use a Moby wrap.  Should be an interesting 2 weeks.

#111 of 123 Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Is SCA similar to Ren Faire? I used to go to Rennisance Faire a few times a year pre-kids when I lived in the Bay area about a decade ago. Any good suggestions for groups near Portland for kid friendly events?

be good family...

#112 of 123 Old 07-16-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

6 months is not a bad age to take to pennsic. And yes, at that age I would just have used a wrap.  Then if I was sitting on the ground I just used the sling as a blanket to but babe on. 

Mamayogibear: SCA is society for creative anachronism, ie middle ages re-enacting.  We are not a Ren faire where you have actors mostly putting on a play for paying spectators.  We try to (as accurate as possible) recreate the time period from 6-16th cent Europe.  We end up doing lots of research to try to accuratly re-create whatever aspect is the focus.  We pretty much are our own spectators.  Imagine one of our weekend events being a snip of time taken from the Middle ages.  Events can have a variety of events like heavy weapons, rapier (medieval form of fencing), classes on a variety of topics, archery, equestrian, thrown weapons, court, dancing, etc. 
Your local group would normally have meetings weekly, bi weekly, or other form.  I suggest starting by finding your local group and going to a meeting.  You can email the group to get more info in advance (and so they would know you were showing up). 

Here is your kingdom: http://www.antir.sca.org/  Here are the local groups: http://www.antir.sca.org/Map/branches.php?reg=Central  Sorry I'm from Ohio so lost when it comes to out west.  I'm sure you can match yourself up though.  If I'm correct on my guess you are in Clackamas & Multnomah Counties, OR, so your Barony is: http://www.currentmiddleages.org/3m/index.php  No clue how they have it set up out there, but normally there is a local group set up off that as well.  That should at least give you a good starting point though.  SCA people are very friendly and love newcomers (we were all new at one time!)  I hope this helps! :)

#113 of 123 Old 07-16-2011, 11:10 AM

Don't worry about kid shoes too much either. The last few years Target has had girl's shoes that were brown with pink details. This was a good compromise for us. That said my DD also wore orange Crocs (possibly the same pair as Ellien's DD) for all of Lilies last year. 

I do agree about foot comfort. Last fall we had a metal working event and I wore tennis shoes since all of my period and periodesque shoes were too open for working around hot metal. My feet were so much happier at the end of the day. I've thought about making shoes with lots of inserts but I have percular feet and fear wasting time and money on something that doesn't fit. 

#114 of 123 Old 10-19-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

and scadians still out there on the mdc??

#115 of 123 Old 10-20-2011, 12:06 PM

We haven't gotten to any events or practices lately, way too busy and the money went elsewhere. The whole family did make it to one event in May, and we sent DH off to another in April before that. I was sewing a gown for myself and a cotte for DH, last details on each sort of sitting in my to-do pile.

#116 of 123 Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome!  When kids were infants they came to events with me.  For right now they don't go to events.  Meeting, yes though.  Just too much for me to handle with them at events.  Kids typically are at their dad's or grandparents iff I go to an event.  I will start taking my daughter to some events.  Events (though I do not go to many outside of my Barony) tend to be my relax and away time.  My break from the kiddos.  I love them so much, but raising them virtually on my own with their dad not seeing them much takes its toll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post

We haven't gotten to any events or practices lately, way too busy and the money went elsewhere. The whole family did make it to one event in May, and we sent DH off to another in April before that. I was sewing a gown for myself and a cotte for DH, last details on each sort of sitting in my to-do pile.

#117 of 123 Old 10-22-2011, 06:22 PM

DS1 (5) got into the midrealm page school thing at first, helping the fighters haul stuff, doing archery, painting with egg tempera, etc, but lost interest quickly. When we start homeschooling we can incorporate it. Oh I forgot we sent DH to Baron Wars up there in OH in June too.

#118 of 123 Old 10-24-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I was part of the staff for Baron wars, helping to set up, run and tear down that event. That would be my home group!

Are you part of the Midrealm?

I'll have to look up the page school thing as i had thought it was for older kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post

DS1 (5) got into the midrealm page school thing at first, helping the fighters haul stuff, doing archery, painting with egg tempera, etc, but lost interest quickly. When we start homeschooling we can incorporate it. Oh I forgot we sent DH to Baron Wars up there in OH in June too.

#119 of 123 Old 10-24-2011, 05:29 PM

I've been around MCD more. You find me in the birth club for May 2012. I've had to put away my armor for the time being and that is driving me crazy. 

Our current Baron and Baroness are stepping down and even with the pregnancy my DH and I are putting in for it. 

My 5 year old loves SCA so much. She's the one advocating to go to an event that's 5 hours away. She went to a Daisy Girl Scout bonfire and was disappointed that it wasn't more like a SCA fire circle with singing for hours.

#120 of 123 Old 10-24-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

lol, yes I always chuckle when my daughter describes the fighting. 

But people look in amazement when both the 5 and 2 yr old are on a run somewhere they shouldn't and I yell "hold" and they come to a dead stop!  LOL

I love going to events and seeing the natural baby wraps//slings.  I remember using one with both my kiddos for events. So nice and period!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page