Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 06-26-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
Was anyone ever told as a child/adolescent/teen that they were acting common?

Just yesterday I told my DH to stop acting common, and in that instant I knew that I had become my Mom, Grandmother and Aunts all at the same time.

My DH is very accustomed to me, so he just shook his head, but he knew that I meant what I said!

It feels lovely to pass on handed down expressions?

Does anyone else say the very things that their moms/grandmom/aunts said to them.
I told ds the other day "Be Civil!" and immediately regretted it. It was my mom all over again!

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Was anyone ever told as a child/adolescent/teen that they were acting common?

Just yesterday I told my DH to stop acting common, and in that instant I knew that I had become my Mom, Grandmother and Aunts all at the same time.

My DH is very accustomed to me, so he just shook his head, but he knew that I meant what I said!

It feels lovely to pass on handed down expressions?

Does anyone else say the very things that their moms/grandmom/aunts said to them.
Even though I am not a mom yet I find myself constantly using cliche's as my mom does this constantly. I have to fight the urge to say things like, "I'm not trying to fatten them, just feed" or "the first time is a mistake, the second time is a habit". I get annoyed with my mom when she does this but here I am doing the same thing .
Old 06-26-2009, 03:47 PM

Can you guys come over to family safety to help with a problem I am having.
Here is the link
Old 06-26-2009, 07:30 PM

I didn't know where to post this, but it feels like I know most of you ladies. So, you're tagged. I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING TO LOSE MY EVER LOVING MIND. THESE KIDS ARE DRIVING ME UP THE &*^$%$%^& WALL!!!! It never ends with them. The arguing, the teasing, the talking, and the list goes on and on. I could scream, I feel so overwhelmed. Even when we go outside, it's always something! This is the WORST that it has ever been for me. My husband who is supposed to help me has been "sick" for two days. Well, at least after work.
We NEED more space. I'm missing our old house in NJ Thanks for listening ladies.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah6 View Post
I didn't know where to post this, but it feels like I know most of you ladies. So, you're tagged. I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING TO LOSE MY EVER LOVING MIND. THESE KIDS ARE DRIVING ME UP THE &*^$%$%^& WALL!!!! It never ends with them. The arguing, the teasing, the talking, and the list goes on and on. I could scream, I feel so overwhelmed. Even when we go outside, it's always something! This is the WORST that it has ever been for me. My husband who is supposed to help me has been "sick" for two days. Well, at least after work.
We NEED more space. I'm missing our old house in NJ Thanks for listening ladies.
No words of advice but I just wanted to let you know that you're in my thoughts. More strength to you.

Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 06-26-2009, 10:06 PM

Jannah6
Old 06-27-2009, 12:59 AM

Thank you ladies.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
Old 06-27-2009, 11:05 AM

, Jannah. Any chance that you're anemic? That'll make everything feel like a tragedy, in my experience.

Then again, you've got six kids! It's *going* to be overwhelming sometimes. Two kids can be overwhelming sometimes!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 06-27-2009, 11:06 AM

Jannah, it will get better!

+ + =
Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Have you thought about Paraguard? It might be a good option for you. I'm CTA for the time being; THRH and I have discussed things and he says he's willing to go the distance and be snipped if it comes to it, that he'd rather do it than leave me to be snipped. Isn't he sweet?
Me? I've never heard of paragaurd...what is it?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaDP View Post
Hi Kimiji,

I live in central CT. But because we are unschoolers, we have friends/activities that take us all over the state.
Where in CT are you moving to?
Please feel free to contact me personally anytime with questions.
*..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Peace, Love & Light!-:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Take Care,
Erika(I don't wear a fro, I'm just a sister who likes this smilie!):
Could you explain to me unschooling? or lead me to a website? my husband and i sre seriously considering homeschooling our children, but we've come across this type of method a few times. I've only heard one person describe me their version and i wasn't sure if it was like, unschooling law or if everyone individualizes it? How would you describe your "method" and are the schooling officials or govt. hounding you?'

and (sorry so many ?s just hoping to find out what i'm going to be up against and need to get prepared for fighting...crushing *winks*) does anyone know how people will treat me (being as I am, how we live, AP, homebirthing, cloth diapering, recycling, organic food eaters, herbal and homepathic remedy seekers, educated mixed family)...does anyone know how the attitude is going to be about those things out east?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah6 View Post
Oh!

and we want six kids too!...maybe...now that we've got two, lol.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Wiksty, I know you didn't ask me but . . . I was very wary of unschooling when I decided to undertake the task of homeschooling my boys. Well, from how I understand (and now embrace it) is that unschooling is that you let the child lead his/her learning. In other words, you're never forcing anything down his/her throat or following a strict curriculum that says "You must do X for 10 days then Y for another 10 days". So far how it is applied in my life is that I keep a general idea of what my son should know in each grade in my head and through his interests, he learns it. So last month or so we've been studying birds--learning the anatomy (vocabulary) using birds to learn about sequences and counting, bird singing as music, birdwatching as classifying, etc . . . he's already into birds so it's not a big struggle to get him to do all these things. For me, it's also about letting go to some extent. DS is into computer games big time . . . and while I hate to label myself, moving closer to the unschooling way of thinking has given me the courage to let him play, knowing that he's learning. And when I give him that space, he is willing to sit with me and read, practice his writing, count, work in his workbook, etc.

The best (concise) explanation I've found.

BTW, I'm currently reading Raising Cain and How Children Learn which both are pushing me further into the unschooling camp.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiksty View Post
Me? I've never heard of paragaurd...what is it?
Paragard is a copper IUD or intra-uterine device. It's a long-term, non-hormonal contraceptive option for women who've already had children. I've heard horror stories and I've heard LOTS of happy customer stories, too-- you'll definately want to do your research. In any case, I think they're good for 5-10 years, so if you're not planning any children between now and then it's certainly something to consider. It's not an option for me, but it might be a good one for you.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Paraguard is the one I had Wiksty.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
Wiksty, I know you didn't ask me but . . . I was very wary of unschooling when I decided to undertake the task of homeschooling my boys. Well, from how I understand (and now embrace it) is that unschooling is that you let the child lead his/her learning. In other words, you're never forcing anything down his/her throat or following a strict curriculum that says "You must do X for 10 days then Y for another 10 days". So far how it is applied in my life is that I keep a general idea of what my son should know in each grade in my head and through his interests, he learns it. So last month or so we've been studying birds--learning the anatomy (vocabulary) using birds to learn about sequences and counting, bird singing as music, birdwatching as classifying, etc . . . he's already into birds so it's not a big struggle to get him to do all these things. For me, it's also about letting go to some extent. DS is into computer games big time . . . and while I hate to label myself, moving closer to the unschooling way of thinking has given me the courage to let him play, knowing that he's learning. And when I give him that space, he is willing to sit with me and read, practice his writing, count, work in his workbook, etc.

The best (concise) explanation I've found.

BTW, I'm currently reading Raising Cain and How Children Learn which both are pushing me further into the unschooling camp.
Thank you so much for this. Right now i'm in a hurry but it's all great information and it's encouraging me to look further into it. Do you have any trouble with the state or anyone trying to devalue your methods?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Paragard is a copper IUD or intra-uterine device. It's a long-term, non-hormonal contraceptive option for women who've already had children. I've heard horror stories and I've heard LOTS of happy customer stories, too-- you'll definately want to do your research. In any case, I think they're good for 5-10 years, so if you're not planning any children between now and then it's certainly something to consider. It's not an option for me, but it might be a good one for you.
I'm most def. going to look into this. We wanted so many kids in the beginning, but I'm really anxious to begin my career. And include grad school starting next year (and not working a day job so that I can homeschool -or unschool- the girls.

OT but, Amara already knows so much! Her letters, numbers, colors, shapes, animals, songs, characters, phrases and manners and friends -oh my! She turns 2 on July 2nd. We're going to the zoo (another reason I'm anxious for B-more...)!

I told hubby, in regard to my push toward my career, "This may mean we never have another child." But he told me not "to think of it like that." So yes, 5 years at least...then probably a good 3-5 more if I want to move up in the business, establish myself, and all that jazz. Is it expensive? What horror stories? Oh please no weight gain! I was 105 when i got pregnant with Amara, and gained 50lbs! I was 120 when I got pregnant with Terra Bug, gained another 35lbs and 126 now...but could stand about minus 10-15. I can't stand it! Is there a weight loss forum?

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Paraguard is the one I had Wiksty.
So tell me...what's your story?

Love it? Hate it? Get pregnant while on it? lol
Old 06-29-2009, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So tell me...what's your story?

Love it? Hate it? Get pregnant while on it? lol
Arike asked about the IUD a few pages up-thread. Here's what I posted. Like Rynna said, some folks LOVE it . . . . for others, it's been a complete disaster.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Arike asked about the IUD a few pages up-thread. Here's what I posted. Like Rynna said, some folks LOVE it . . . . for others, it's been a complete disaster.
I read it...and now i'm terrified.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 PM

Meanwhile a friend of mine noticed my Facebook status and wrote to me to say she can't believe I'm still charting, she's got a ParaGard and she LOVES the thing, can't reccomend it highly enough. Different stories, different experiences from different people. There's much research to be done.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 PM

DH and I are afraid of hormones, and latex and I don't get along well so we use the tried and true withdrawl method. It has worked for us for 5 years. Andrew was not planned, but he was definetly not an "ooops".

+ + =
Old 06-29-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
DH and I are afraid of hormones, and latex and I don't get along well so we use the tried and true withdrawl method. It has worked for us for 5 years. Andrew was not planned, but he was definetly not an "ooops".
We tried that. And the one time we didn't...we got Amara.

We tried it with Terra too, and we never slipped, but got preg anyway.

?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
We tried that. And the one time we didn't...we got Amara.

We tried it with Terra too, and we never slipped, but got preg anyway.

?

Don't say that. If I have another baby I would be in an awful position.

+ + =
Old 06-29-2009, 11:58 PM

I know this one! What do you call people who use the 'withdrawl' method? Parents!

The deal is simple-- sperm can start leaking out of your body before your man has his big blowout, so to speak. It's considered entirely unreliable as birth control for that reason-- you have no idea how much of the gooey gooey is seeping out before the main event.

On the other hand, if you're using withdrawl in conjunction with charting and you're abstaining during fertile periods, you've got a good shot. You can always go back to condoms when you're fertile... but if you're like me (hyperfertile and paranoid) then you'll just want to stick with non-intercourse activities while you're fertile.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I know this one! What do you call people who use the 'withdrawl' method? Parents!

The deal is simple-- sperm can start leaking out of your body before your man has his big blowout, so to speak. It's considered entirely unreliable as birth control for that reason-- you have no idea how much of the gooey gooey is seeping out before the main event.

On the other hand, if you're using withdrawl in conjunction with charting and you're abstaining during fertile periods, you've got a good shot. You can always go back to condoms when you're fertile... but if you're like me (hyperfertile and paranoid) then you'll just want to stick with non-intercourse activities while you're fertile.
NON INTERCOURSE????!!!

How do I chart if I haven't a cycle again yet?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:52 AM

Temperatures, cervical mucous and cervical position will still help you out-- with any luck, you'll know about ovulation before your first period. I *believe* that you'll want to count "day one" as the day your child was born and then just fast forward, but I could be mistaken about that. In any case, if you haven't had any fertility signs it probably won't hurt for you to call today "day one" and to just move from there.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:

Withdrawl has worked for me, so I don't doubt the effectiveness of the method. I think the key is to not wait until the very last minute, but I am not the expert. DH is!!!!

+ + =
Old 07-01-2009, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

*whimpers* I hate when people point out that stuff leaks out before the "arrival" because while it freaks me out (hubby's not been condom friendly lately) cause i could get pregnant unexpectedly, it also frightens me that if he's been pulling out, HOW COME i AINT get pregnant yet? OmgIsSomethingWrongWithMe?WhatIfImInfertileAndDont KnowIt?

If I sound irrational, its cause i am, lol. Deep breaths.

*back to lurk mode*

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
Old 07-01-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:

I agree with you 100%, lets just say I would never ever trust withdrawal as the only means of BC. I don't chart but I am an age/stage in life where I have a pretty good idea of when I am fertile but even so, I can't rely on withdrawl...my eldest is a result of that method, so nah not for me.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.

User Tag List