Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 07-11-2009, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurmama8 View Post
I don't know if I can ask this but who else is on nappturality?

I'm not. I'm about to check it out right now. Like I need another addiction

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelPlayah View Post
Hellooooooo. Nice to find this tread. And you guys are talking about locks and natural hair to boot. I think I'll fit right in here. I have locks and have had them for almost 4 years (Next month makes 4 years.) I'm currently trying to conceive, I'm not sure if there's a forum for that. I got this addy from www.nappturality.com from a buddy on there. Apparently you guys are the experts.

Well, gotta go for now. There's a whole site to check out. LoL

Jen
Welcome, Jen!

We are in the same boat--TTC #1. There is a forum for Trying to Conceive, but most of the posts just stress me out, so I try to stay away.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
I used to be on a long time ago but haven't for a few years now.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:

I am but I think you already knew that...but I rarely go over there more than once a week.

By the way its ok to ask about anothere board but we can't really get into talking much about it...just a heads up.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmami View Post
Oh, what a wonderful trip! I haven't been to Costa Rica but my father-in-law travels there every year and completely gushes over how beautiful it is! I have yet to take a trip with my sons (almost 3 and 18 months) but we hopefully will next month and I am in the same boat. Advice that I have heard is to have new toys/playthings to pull out every so often to keep them entertained...as well, as snacks. Your son is younger than mine and my pregnant brain, for some reason, cannot remember what 9 months old can or cannot eat! I do remember bananas, sweet potatoes and crackers were a huge hit! I used to travel with them cut up in take along jars.
Also, do you use a sling at all? I can see how walking a bit with him in a sling can help with any crankiness he may have being on the plane. Good Luck and can't wait to hear about your trip!
Thanks bkmami! Yeah my son gets easily bored so I definitely should get some new toys for him. DS loves bananas, I need to bring those. I don't have a sling but I have an Ergo Sport to wear him in. I used to wear him in the Moby but at 20 pounds, he is a bit too heavy for it so I had to switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamergrrl View Post
I used to be on a long time ago but haven't for a few years now.

Yeah same here. I used go on nappturality all the time but then I just sort of stopped. It was great for when I first was wearing my natural hair out and eventually transitioned to locks but now the novelty has worn off about my hair, I seldom really think about it. It's just hair to me now.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:18 AM

I've got a new regular hairstyle which is fun for me-- I put my hair into a ponytail and then divide & twist it into a bunch of spiral curls. I can only get 6-10 of decent size, so it only works in a ponytail. It's super cute and, for my hair type, requires almost no energy-- 15 minutes, tops. I'll have to get a picture of it this summer. The thing before that was just to twist it up behind my head in one of those clippy thingies, or just to leave it down and curly (but I hate doing that in summer). I like it because it's off my neck, it stays neat and tidy, and it still looks very mixed.

I'm probably going to put some colored extentions into my hair in a few weeks, though. Every couple of years I get a bug to do it; Long purple, red, blue, pink braids. Not special extensions, just the cheap plastic kind that make for totally unnatural looking braids when girls do them in natural hair colors, but which are just plain fun in weird colors. I should do it soon, though; I'll probably want to look like a grownup when school starts in the fall.

Miss BooBah will be a kindergartener in August. : She's so big! I can hardly believe that half my kids are school aged. I'm probably more excited than she is.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 07-12-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah6 View Post
Yes, I still have the Sachi, it's my FAVORITE! It's so comfortable and strong.
BTW, congratulations on your pregnancy.
There are several mamas here that are in NYC, I think at least 5 in Bklyn. I'm in Bed-Stuy, where are you?

Here's a pic of me wearing my youngest in the Sachi

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...nah5/025-2.jpg

Is anyone going to the Still Hip block party:

[B]http://stillhipbrooklyn.com/

Still Hip's 2nd Birthday Block Party!
July 25th | Saturday | ALL DAY!
That is a beautiful pic! So happy that it is getting some love. I am right near you...in Bushwick! We are neighbors!
I want to check out that Block Party...but that day, Jerry Rivera is having a free concert in Central Park. Decisions, decisions!
Hi BlackAngelPlayah!

Millie, BW'in and BF'in, Mami to two and cautiously expecting a third in November! :
Old 07-12-2009, 01:25 PM

Not too terribly long ago, one of you ladies posted a recipe for... I think conditioner? for your little girl's curly hair. Could you post it again, please, or link me to it if you know what I'm talking about?

I think I'm about ready to take the plunge into natural haircare. I'm totally and sadly addicted to my Pantene, but I'd really like to try something different for washing & conditioning. My hair is very fine and fairly curly; It dries out *insanely* (as does my scalp) but when it's conditioned well, it's soft and shiny. I'd like to keep that soft shininess without the Pantene, if it's possible. Any suggestions?

Old 07-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Not too terribly long ago, one of you ladies posted a recipe for... I think conditioner? for your little girl's curly hair. Could you post it again, please, or link me to it if you know what I'm talking about?

I think I'm about ready to take the plunge into natural haircare. I'm totally and sadly addicted to my Pantene, but I'd really like to try something different for washing & conditioning. My hair is very fine and fairly curly; It dries out *insanely* (as does my scalp) but when it's conditioned well, it's soft and shiny. I'd like to keep that soft shininess without the Pantene, if it's possible. Any suggestions?
was it this?

+ + =
Old 07-12-2009, 05:34 PM

No, it was something she'd made at home. I remember reading it, thinking it sounded delicious, and then someone else posted that it sounded delicious and she said that her little girl had actually eaten some of it. (It was made of food.)

Old 07-13-2009, 01:29 AM

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiksty

Anywho, just wanted to drop by to say hey and catch up on everybody. Oh! I remember, the other thing I wanted to do was share the organic hair conditioner recipe I found/tweaked for my daughter's curls. It is AMAZING as far as the results, and really easy to make. It was supposed to be my quick fix in between purchasing something for her (i still need a daily moisturizer because jojoba oil and water works, but...I'm looking for more). But here it is:

I didn't wash her hair, just conditioned it...

1 large ripe organic avocado
1 can (400ml) organic coconut milk
2tsp organic virgin olive oil

mix together (I used my mixer) until smooth. Apply for 10-15 minutes, and rinse out. Her curls were just...perfect. Shiny but not oily, bouncy and full, soft and finger-comb-able. Lovely, and the results lasted like 4-5 days. I got the recipe from pioneerthinking.com and tweaked it a bit (what you see is what I actually used). Smells great too, but refrigerate the leftovers! The recipe I listed makes about one speghetti sauce jar sized portion. Enjoy!

Hope that all is well with everyone I am well...and happy

That sounds so good. I want to eat it!

+ + =
Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

I wonder how that would work on my sons' locks . . . however, I'm wondering how I could convince them to get back into water after 15 minutes . . .

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I am, relatively infrequently, though.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
Old 07-13-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
I wonder how that would work on my sons' locks . . . however, I'm wondering how I could convince them to get back into water after 15 minutes . . .
Maybe start his bath by washing his hair and applying the conditioner then let him play and wash up then by the time that is over 15 minutes would've passed. Just a thought because that is what I do to my hair (minus the play part lol).
Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 PM

I have to try that recipe too. My friend gave me a recipe for a conditioner ,but it included avocado,olive oil, and an egg. It made my hair look so good. My aunt noticed the difference and I hadn't even told her what I had done to it.

bkmamai, Hey neighbor thanks for the compliments. I am really feeling the free concerts. I was going to attend the MC Lyte concert, but I had a headache. My husbant went though. I am SOOOO going to the Lisa Lisa concert!!!

I was invited to a womens gathering on the day of the Block Party, but my husband plays softball on Saturdays so I have no childcare.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe start his bath by washing his hair and applying the conditioner then let him play and wash up then by the time that is over 15 minutes would've passed. Just a thought because that is what I do to my hair (minus the play part lol).
They shower. Or bathe with a bucket and dipper. Baths last 5 minutes tops.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
They shower. Or bathe with a bucket and dipper. Baths last 5 minutes tops.
hmmm...maybe wet his hair and put a plastic cap on it so he doesn't get it everywhere, let him play and then rinse it off before his shower or while he is in the shower.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I am SOOOO going to the Lisa Lisa concert!!!
Lisa Lisa?! When?Where? I need to check that out!

Millie, BW'in and BF'in, Mami to two and cautiously expecting a third in November! :
Old 07-14-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I have to try that recipe too. My friend gave me a recipe for a conditioner ,but it included avocado,olive oil, and an egg. It made my hair look so good. My aunt noticed the difference and I hadn't even told her what I had done to it.

bkmamai, Hey neighbor thanks for the compliments. I am really feeling the free concerts. I was going to attend the MC Lyte concert, but I had a headache. My husbant went though. I am SOOOO going to the Lisa Lisa concert!!!

I was invited to a womens gathering on the day of the Block Party, but my husband plays softball on Saturdays so I have no childcare.

Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam!!

afro.jpg
Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 AM

Lisa Lisa is my girl This morning I was telling DH about her concert, then we started singing one of her songs

BKMami
, the Lisa Lisa concert is Tuesday Aug 11th at Red Hook Park.

CityParksFoundation.org

ETA:
http://www.cityparksfoundation.org/index1.aspx?BD=20011

Old 07-14-2009, 04:40 PM

hiii :
I'll probably go to the still hip block party. I went to the sale, too, Jannah, just late. As for free concerts, so far we've gone to see Femi Kuti in Prospect Park and last week we saw Rebirth Brass Band at Metrotech. I cannot wait for the Purple Rain singalong in Prospect Pal (aug 6th). CANNOT WAIT!

The boy is huge now, and got his first 2 teeth last week. When does the teething end?! heh. I finally got a stroller (Britax Viguor--niiice sale online) and it's great, but VERY heavy. We still use the Moby more than the stroller, but I am thinking about getting some other kind of carrier so I can put him on my back. Hey, didn't someone on this thread have a blog with a "how-to" on back carries with a lapa? Would anyone mind reposting the link, if it's hanging around? I have a nice piece of fabric I might be able to use.

We're taking two trips soon--August to Texas to see my family, December to Tobago to see DH's family. I am nervous about this wiggly little boy on the plane but my trusty Moby may yet save the day, even though he is a giant. His 6 month check up is on Friday and I am afraid to find out how much he actually weighs. And I guess I'll weigh myself then too .

Loved the letter to the library, also.

Anyone reading anything interesting this summer? I am on a vampire kick. It started with Fledgling by Octavia Butler and has, I must sadly admit, gone into the Twilight series (haha) and I am looking forward to re-reading Tananarive Due's books. What's on your summer reading lists?

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
Old 07-14-2009, 05:00 PM

My summer reading list is mostly revolving around baby care books, but I do need to catch up on the Stephanie Plum series. If you're into vamps, check out the L.A. Banks Vampire Huntress series. The protagonist is a WOC who is a spoken word/hip hop artist by day and butt-kicking vampire hunter by night.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:24 PM

I am reading Jubilee, a couple of books for my Tanzania trip and some off of Rootz blog page.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:09 PM

hey, ive read a few posts and wanted to join the thread. the convo's about hair are interesting...it's such a part of who we are, and at the same time it can be something so 'unimportant' too, since who we really are is not about our hair and outer appearance, but that doesn't stop me from feeling self-conscious if my locks are a little frizzy or need to be twisted on certain days...

as for the carriers...i have a moby which i loved for not-hot days/climate...and just bought a baby tai online from a sahm who makes them herself...i love wearing my daughter when its not too hot and not for extended periods as she is on her way to 30 lbs! whheww

i wish i had a cool signature, but since i dont...im a mama to a lovely almost 10 month old girl, living in st. louis, mo with my partner and working part time and mothering all the time, of course

if any one is in the STL area, let me know! i posted a thread to find some other like-minded women of color to start a local meet-up group with but didn't get any responses in my area (il-mo-iowa).

also, trying to go more raw if anyone has any tips...we're vegetarian but more vegan-leaning right now

peace!

enjoying the lessons of life via my two beautiful teachers - my daughter and son

Old 07-14-2009, 06:10 PM

oops, i guess i do have my signature 'approved'

enjoying the lessons of life via my two beautiful teachers - my daughter and son

Old 07-14-2009, 07:52 PM

I'm reading The Ethical Slut, and working my way through childrens' series (His Dark Materials for the second time, Harry Potter for at least the fourth, a few others) just so that I know what's there before my son gets to all of them. He's *right* on my tail with the Harry Potters. : Oh, and this old medical textbook, because I've got a thing about old textbooks. There are some other kid's books around that Bean might pick up and I really want to make sure that I've read them all recently (or that I know them very very well) before he reads them. I just like to be prepared. That, and my mom stopped pre-reading books for me when I was abotu eight and I missed being able to discuss them all with her. She'd read lots of the books I read, but certainly not all of them and that was kind of a loss for me.

Bean's reading Harry Potter, and eyeing the copy of The Golden Compass that Mike borrowed from the library. I think he's still working through The Chronicles of Narnia, but I'm not sure. These days, I'm just *itching* to give him Ender's Game because it's fun... but I'm not 100% certain he's ready for it. I think I'll ask my family what they think.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:39 PM

elcome Newmama

Bloomingstar
IMO this last Still Hip sale wasn't as good as the first, but I got there early and managed to get some decent finds.
As for carriers, I really really like my Sachi. Safiyyah is 21 pounds and 26 inches now and she feels so light on my back. I think BKmami might be able to recommend a good carrier( I stalked her username her on TBW )

I'm not reading anything right now. I don't read as much as I should I'm a HUGE mystery buff, but I won't pick one up until I read more on my religion. Lately I've just been reading the Quran/religious materials online because it's easiest for me.

Oh, Bloomingstar have a wonderful time on your vacations. I can't wait to see pics.
Our family can't afford a trip, private school tuition is a killer. I might take a 5 day trip with Safiyyah to SC to visit my family. I would like to see my SC family, but I kinda wish that I could go elsewhere.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomingstar View Post
hiii :
I'll probably go to the still hip block party. I went to the sale, too, Jannah, just late. As for free concerts, so far we've gone to see Femi Kuti in Prospect Park and last week we saw Rebirth Brass Band at Metrotech. I cannot wait for the Purple Rain singalong in Prospect Pal (aug 6th). CANNOT WAIT!

The boy is huge now, and got his first 2 teeth last week. When does the teething end?! heh. I finally got a stroller (Britax Viguor--niiice sale online) and it's great, but VERY heavy. We still use the Moby more than the stroller, but I am thinking about getting some other kind of carrier so I can put him on my back. Hey, didn't someone on this thread have a blog with a "how-to" on back carries with a lapa? Would anyone mind reposting the link, if it's hanging around? I have a nice piece of fabric I might be able to use.

We're taking two trips soon--August to Texas to see my family, December to Tobago to see DH's family. I am nervous about this wiggly little boy on the plane but my trusty Moby may yet save the day, even though he is a giant. His 6 month check up is on Friday and I am afraid to find out how much he actually weighs. And I guess I'll weigh myself then too .

Loved the letter to the library, also.

Anyone reading anything interesting this summer? I am on a vampire kick. It started with Fledgling by Octavia Butler and has, I must sadly admit, gone into the Twilight series (haha) and I am looking forward to re-reading Tananarive Due's books. What's on your summer reading lists?
Im on an african-american literature kick this summer right now Im reading "Harlem Renaissance" by Nathan Irvin Huggins. Next books im tryna delve into are some W.E.B. DuBois books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmama8 View Post
hey, ive read a few posts and wanted to join the thread. the convo's about hair are interesting...it's such a part of who we are, and at the same time it can be something so 'unimportant' too, since who we really are is not about our hair and outer appearance, but that doesn't stop me from feeling self-conscious if my locks are a little frizzy or need to be twisted on certain days...

as for the carriers...i have a moby which i loved for not-hot days/climate...and just bought a baby tai online from a sahm who makes them herself...i love wearing my daughter when its not too hot and not for extended periods as she is on her way to 30 lbs! whheww

i wish i had a cool signature, but since i dont...im a mama to a lovely almost 10 month old girl, living in st. louis, mo with my partner and working part time and mothering all the time, of course

if any one is in the STL area, let me know! i posted a thread to find some other like-minded women of color to start a local meet-up group with but didn't get any responses in my area (il-mo-iowa).

also, trying to go more raw if anyone has any tips...we're vegetarian but more vegan-leaning right now

peace!
Welcome newmama8! Hubby and I used to live in St. Louis and still have family there. Your best bet for finding other mamas there is in the Missouri Find Your Tribe area. Even tho many MDC WOC post here, a lot still do not and you might find them in there instead.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
Old 07-15-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomingstar View Post

Me, my mom and DS are going to Costa Rica this friday to visit my brother. DS is SOOOO wiggly at 9 months! He moves around so much and wants to grab everything in sight even during the subway rides! I am kind of dreading the plane ride. It is a red-eye flight(2 flights with a quick layover) so I am hoping he sleeps through it all! It was so much easier when he was 2 months old and tucked into the Moby the whole time. I am currently using the Ergo Sport to carry him around. He's probably about 20 pounds now and the Moby was not cutting it for me anymore. And I was getting so hot and sweaty in it.

I have been reading the Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind, It's an epic fantasy series of like 11 books. It's my secret escape. I just finished book 3 this past weekend. I have read all of the Twilight series except the last one, the writing is SO bad but it's a guilty pleasure...oh Edward, oh Bella!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Hi newmama8!
Quote:
As for carriers, I really really like my Sachi. Safiyyah is 21 pounds and 26 inches now and she feels so light on my back. I think BKmami might be able to recommend a good carrier( I stalked her username her on TBW )
Thanks, Jannah! I can safely say that I have tried so many carriers but I really love using wraps because for me it is the most comfortable. (I loved the Sachi which is a mei tai.) I use woven wraps instead of stretchy ones like Moby because they are most supportive with bigger babies. I do use an Ergo esp bec it's quick on and off which is great for up and down. Wovens are a bit more expensive than Mobys but you can use them for the entire time of babywearing...I use them at times with my almost 3 year old. Also, there are so many different ways you can carry your babies with wovens, on your back, front, hip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arike View Post
I have been reading the Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind, It's an epic fantasy series of like 11 books. It's my secret escape. I just finished book 3 this past weekend. I have read all of the Twilight series except the last one, the writing is SO bad but it's a guilty pleasure...oh Edward, oh Bella!
I need to get into some epic fantasies! I read most of the Twilight but now on the 3rd one (Eclipse) and getting just too frustrated with it. haha I have been reading a lot of birth books like Spiritual Midwifery. Such inspirational stories!

User Tag List