Make friends here!!!! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 12:50 PM
 
Geigerin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oops...conversation killer...sorry.

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
Geigerin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
 
Mimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South England
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we drink raw milk, but we get it from the farm, so i didn't actually think about it much.
i'm careful with weight loss as i used to be anorexic.
didn't find a single ppd free hair dye so i'm off to put the cancer stuff on my head, whish my luck ladies!
Mimi is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
 
BaBaBa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Queen's Bush
Posts: 1,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
me DD

and
BaBaBa is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:19 PM
 
rainbowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to start doing netflix exercise videos. I am definitely cutting out the raw milk too.. : I really do think that is the problem as nothing else in my diet has changed! (I started drinking coffee again with whole milk last fall and I really think that's the culprit) I know the depression hasn't helped as I tend to feed it at times. ugh..I am just not in a happy place right now AT ALL. (due to living somewhere I can't stand!!) I am not sure how to fix that though other than moving out of state which isn't going to happen anytime soon. We do need to move though. (I hate moving!)

BaBaBa- I love Jason and Burts Bees. Oh and Zum!!! What were you looking for in particular? Yes I know of Owen Sound. I have never been that far up in Ontario though!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
rainbowmoon is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
 
BaBaBa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Queen's Bush
Posts: 1,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
years and years ago I had great results with the Cindy Crawford work out tapes.

Ugh! RM, it is rotten not to be happy where your home is . When you can't change your situation the only solution is to change your attitude but that is often a greater challenge than one's reality (speaking from experience here).

An exercise program probably will help put you on track. I am desperate to learn tai chi. I think I could really benefit from many aspects of it. Unfortunately, without a spouse around to watch DD I can't go.

There's no particular products I'm looking for, just anything you think is an outstanding product. I'm only faithful to Dr. Bronners soap. I picked up some Weleda moisturizer. It was expensive but since I switched from facial cleanser to just using honey to wash I thought I could splurge a little. I'm avoiding Burts Bees now that they've sold out. Where in Ontario have you visited. I moved up here from Toronto but I've been around a bit too.



That sewing machine! I've been fiddling with it for 24 hours now and still can't fix it. The upper thread keeps getting snarled around the bobbin. The needle goes down once and then gets jammed. I am ready to throw it in the pond.

Also, DD spilt some drawing ink on her new dress. Luckily I got it off the dining room table and the floor before it was ruined too.

and
BaBaBa is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 04:39 PM
 
Geigerin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
:
me DD
Sorry you're having a difficult parenting day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I am going to start doing netflix exercise videos. I am definitely cutting out the raw milk too.. : I really do think that is the problem as nothing else in my diet has changed! (I started drinking coffee again with whole milk last fall and I really think that's the culprit) I know the depression hasn't helped as I tend to feed it at times. ugh..I am just not in a happy place right now AT ALL. (due to living somewhere I can't stand!!) I am not sure how to fix that though other than moving out of state which isn't going to happen anytime soon. We do need to move though. (I hate moving!)
I'm sorry you're going through a tough time right now. Hopefully, it will turn around. Do you have anything you like to do that cheers you up and can be a good escape? Sometimes, just getting some time in the sun and fresh air helps me a lot when I have the blues.

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
Geigerin is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 04:43 PM
 
Geigerin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ditto the Cindy Crawford tapes. The next challenge workout helped me shed 20 pounds in no time at all. The exercises were reasonable, and apparently, that's all she does to stay in shape. It's a good mix of strength and cardio.

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
Geigerin is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 04:46 PM
 
rainbowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the thing is the lack of sun is the thing doing me in!!! (I moved from sunny AZ to overcast MA) the sun has shone just once this week! I can barely take it!!!! Apparently this summer has been unusually rainy though. I really need to get in a more positive space though! But honestly I can't remember a time in my life where I have been this miserable!

/vent

(I promise there will be no more complaining from me this week! I even get sick of hearing it! hehe.)

oh will look into the Cindy Crawford tapes! I have used the CRUNCH ONES before. I know exercising will help how I feel too so hopefully it will be win win! I really need to lose some weight though!!! I even joined the 3fatchicks.com bulletin board! Now I wouldn't say I am fat per say but I feel fat! Especially in the abs and thighs! That is where I seem to gain weight. I'd say I am a size 14 when I am usually a 10. So probably actually pretty normal sized.

As for products I like alot of different things. I am a product hound and try TONS of things too. That's why I write articles about them to make the $ back! I can PM you my link if you want it, to were my reviews are (and anyone else who wants it).

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
rainbowmoon is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
 
BaBaBa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Queen's Bush
Posts: 1,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's the one!!!! I think there's another one too. I heard a sports medicine guy criticize some of the exercises but I never had an injury and, well, people just love to be critical.
Both tapes were awesome.

I agree with everything you said earlier. No doubt you've read "in Defense of Food" too?

I'm vegetarian but I used to be vegan. It's been on my mind a bit lately to return to veganism but knowing what I know now about processed food I'm not sure I could. There are so many highly processed 'subsitutes' that I would rely on, I', not sure it would be healthy. I don't know of any vegan food cultures that don't rely on these substitutes and I am so fond of cream in my coffee and butter on my bread At least we have our own chickens for eggs and someday maybe a dairy cow.

and
BaBaBa is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 04:54 PM
 
Geigerin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
the thing is the lack of sun is the thing doing me in!!! (I moved from sunny AZ to overcast MA) the sun has shone just once this week! I can barely take it!!!! Apparently this summer has been unusually rainy though. I really need to get in a more positive space though! But honestly I can't remember a time in my life where I have been this miserable!

/vent

(I promise there will be no more complaining from me this week! I even get sick of hearing it! hehe.)
No worries about the vent. It has been a rainy year in the midwest, too. There are parts of our lawn that haven't been mown in 2 weeks because it's waterlogged. I wouldn't mind letting it turn to meadow, but the neighbors would complain.

I agree, the rain does make it really hard to cope. No wonder you miss the southwest so much. Sending some your way.

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
Geigerin is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 04:56 PM
 
rainbowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you!!!!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
rainbowmoon is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
 
BaBaBa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Queen's Bush
Posts: 1,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh yes! PM me your link, and to your etsy stuff too. I don't shop on etsy a lot but when I do I would rather go to someone I know.

Shoot! DD's up

There goes my peace and quiet

and
BaBaBa is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 05:02 PM
 
rainbowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my etsy shop is currently pretty empty but I will send you the link for the future! Hoping to get some headbands and other little (ie; inexpensive) things in there soon!!! I buy EVERYTHING from etsy. clothes, toys, house stuff,etc. I Etsy!!! LOL.

btw, I am not sure what is wrong with your sewing machine. Have you messed around w/ with the tension? What kind of machine is it? If you can look in the booklet that came with it or search online you should be able to troubleshoot. oh and be sure you are using cotton thread! one time I got (hand) quilting thread by accident and it was a mess on the machine!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
rainbowmoon is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 05:06 PM
 
Geigerin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
That's the one!!!! I think there's another one too. I heard a sports medicine guy criticize some of the exercises but I never had an injury and, well, people just love to be critical.
Both tapes were awesome.

I agree with everything you said earlier. No doubt you've read "in Defense of Food" too?

I'm vegetarian but I used to be vegan. It's been on my mind a bit lately to return to veganism but knowing what I know now about processed food I'm not sure I could. There are so many highly processed 'subsitutes' that I would rely on, I', not sure it would be healthy. I don't know of any vegan food cultures that don't rely on these substitutes and I am so fond of cream in my coffee and butter on my bread At least we have our own chickens for eggs and someday maybe a dairy cow.
Oh, yeah. In Defense of Food is on my nightstand right now. I actually started with Omnivore's Delimma and followed up by hunting down some of the references in Michael Pollan's book. I was afraid maybe he was biased (I'm a skeptic), but he was actually quite balanced in the presentation of the research.

I was a vegetarian ages 9-27. I starting eating meat on our honeymoon in Banff. I appreciated the overall culture of the town and their respect for the environment and the animals. I got a real crunch vibe from the area. We were ready to pack up and move to Canada...lol

I was manly veg because of the way animals are treated and for the health benefits. Once I found a way to find humane meat, I was hooked. It was also nice knowing I could prepare meat for my very midwestern meat-loving DH. Honestly, though, we probably only have it once or twice a week. I could go back to veg without any trouble, I think.

So jealous. Can't wait til we can have chickens.

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
Geigerin is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 05:13 PM
 
rainbowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we have chickens too Geigerin. Can you get some where you are? alot of places allow them in city limits if you don't have a rooster..we used to have goats but one got killed before we came here so I had to find a home for the other one. I miss them SO much!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
rainbowmoon is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 05:28 PM
 
Geigerin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
we have chickens too Geigerin. Can you get some where you are? alot of places allow them in city limits if you don't have a rooster..we used to have goats but one got killed before we came here so I had to find a home for the other one. I miss them SO much!
Thank you! Thank you! It didn't even dawn on me that we'd be allowed to have chickens. The city-county council was trying to pass an ordinance last year to limit dog ownership to no more than 2 dogs. Never would have occured to me we could have chickens here!

There's even a support group.

Now, time to convince DH it's a good idea and figure out how to keep chickens safe from dog (and other predators)....This is awesome!

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
Geigerin is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 05:41 PM
 
rainbowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
check out www.backyardchickens.com
(though I wouldn't buy from them as they are SPENDY but there's lots of good info there! I'd look on Craigslist/at the feed store first..)

ETA-we used to have ducks too and they are SUPER easy and much hardier than chickens! (they like snow and rain too which is a big bonus IMHO!)

Good luck on your chicken venture! I hope you DH will agree to it! They are so fun!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
rainbowmoon is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 06:30 PM
 
MittensKittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I have the etsy link too? How do you like selling on etsy?

Sorry about your fight with the sewing machine, BaBaBa! I know the feeling of wanting to throw it out the window. It probably just needs a bit of TLC though!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
MittensKittens is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cover letter he!!
Posts: 6,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I leave for a week and we get a whole brand new thread, and it got to be 12 whole pages!

I'll try to catch up, but I don't know....

Anyway, To those that I knew before the new thread - Seattle was AWESOME! And to those that I don't know, its great to meet you!

Ok, time for bed.
Super~Single~Mama is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
 
BaBaBa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Queen's Bush
Posts: 1,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome back!

and
BaBaBa is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
BaBaBa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Queen's Bush
Posts: 1,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
backyard chickens are a brilliant idea! We have silver laced Wyandottes

We have mulard ducks coming in the beginning of July and that's a first for us.

We also have a Boer goat. He's just a pet. We raised English Large Black pigs but thankfully they're gone now

Thanks for the links RM. Your articles are a wealth of information. I've bookmarked it for future reading... lots of future reading

and
BaBaBa is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
BaBaBa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Queen's Bush
Posts: 1,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not to get ahead of you G, but this is a great chart

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenders.../chooks.html#b

not that you need fancy chickens. They all lay

and
BaBaBa is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 PM
 
Geigerin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
I leave for a week and we get a whole brand new thread, and it got to be 12 whole pages!

I'll try to catch up, but I don't know....

Anyway, To those that I knew before the new thread - Seattle was AWESOME! And to those that I don't know, its great to meet you!

Ok, time for bed.
Hi, Thyra! Nice to meet you. I'm Geigerin. No kids yet, but we're TTC #1. Just discovered this thread, and I agree...it moves fast! Yay for new friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
Not to get ahead of you G, but this is a great chart

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenders.../chooks.html#b

not that you need fancy chickens. They all lay
Thanks for the link. I'm getting all kinds of awesome info. Haven't mentioned it to DH yet as he has soccer tonight. But that doesn't stop me from doing all the research.

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
Geigerin is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 PM
 
rainbowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
backyard chickens are a brilliant idea! We have silver laced Wyandottes

We have mulard ducks coming in the beginning of July and that's a first for us.

We also have a Boer goat. He's just a pet. We raised English Large Black pigs but thankfully they're gone now

Thanks for the links RM. Your articles are a wealth of information. I've bookmarked it for future reading... lots of future reading

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
rainbowmoon is offline  
Old 06-24-2009, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
 
BaBaBa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Queen's Bush
Posts: 1,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
btw, I am not sure what is wrong with your sewing machine. Have you messed around w/ with the tension? What kind of machine is it? If you can look in the booklet that came with it or search online you should be able to troubleshoot. oh and be sure you are using cotton thread! one time I got (hand) quilting thread by accident and it was a mess on the machine!
cotton thread eh? I just checked and it's polyester (ewh!) Guterman and I did buy it in a Mennonite store with mostly quilting stuff in it. Oh, I hope that's the problem. I just don't know where I'll find cotton thread. But yes, it definitely makes a mess although my very first go at it went perfect.
Its a Euro pro. I have no idea if that's a god one or not.
The instruction book is definitely lacking...

and
BaBaBa is offline  
Old 06-24-2009, 12:05 AM
 
Geigerin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay...I feel really nauseous. Mouth watering, hot flashes. Please, please, please be a baby!

I will not put the puke icon up because it's gross...but you get the idea.

Woooo-hoooo!!!

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
Geigerin is offline  
Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 AM
 
Geigerin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, see you all in the morning! Sweet dreams.

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
Geigerin is offline  
Old 06-24-2009, 12:25 AM
 
rainbowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is your thread really wiry? that's the kind I had that didn't work at all!!!I like coats and clark brand..though thats also the brand I accidentally got the hand quilting one! they sell it at joanns or : walmart..just be sure it doesn't say "hand quilting".

HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
cotton thread eh? I just checked and it's polyester (ewh!) Guterman and I did buy it in a Mennonite store with mostly quilting stuff in it. Oh, I hope that's the problem. I just don't know where I'll find cotton thread. But yes, it definitely makes a mess although my very first go at it went perfect.
Its a Euro pro. I have no idea if that's a god one or not.
The instruction book is definitely lacking...

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
rainbowmoon is offline  
Old 06-24-2009, 12:26 AM
 
rainbowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geigerin View Post
Okay...I feel really nauseous. Mouth watering, hot flashes. Please, please, please be a baby!

I will not put the puke icon up because it's gross...but you get the idea.

Woooo-hoooo!!!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
rainbowmoon is offline  
Old 06-24-2009, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
 
BaBaBa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Queen's Bush
Posts: 1,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geigerin View Post
Okay...I feel really nauseous. Mouth watering, hot flashes. Please, please, please be a baby!

I will not put the puke icon up because it's gross...but you get the idea.

Woooo-hoooo!!!

and
BaBaBa is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off