Military Moms - Sept. - Oct. 09 - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 238 Old 10-14-2009, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I didn't even know we had a tribe, or I would have been here long ago. For those who don't know me, my name is Misti. We are currently being held hostage in the inlaws basement, and my husband is stationed in South Korea. We have 3 kids, Nicolas who is 9, Noah who is 6, and Shelby who is 16 months. We are in the deep dark depths of getting command sponsorship so we can move to Korea with my hubby.

We will also be taking our 100 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback with us. Pet ownership IS possible in the Army, it just takes some ingenuity, determination, and in some cases (like ours), a good chunk of reserved cash.

I am rapidly approaching critical mass in my knowledge of command sponsorship...especially with regard to Korea. So if anyone has any questions about how to get cs...the steps involved...stuff like that, let me know

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 238 Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Hi Misti! I feel for you ... I also stayed with my inlaws while my husband was in South Korea. It wasn't that bad, but it is nice to have our own space now! Anyway, my husband did get us CS when he was in South Korea (June 07-June 08), but we didn't take it and I regret it because he's in Iraq now. I've been getting to chat with him quite a bit lately so I'll ask him what he did to get CS next time I catch him online. He wants to go back to Korea, and wants us to all go with him next time. He thinks we'll love it! He did!

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#153 of 238 Old 10-14-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-O View Post
Do you ever feel like dealing with spouses is sometimes like high school all over again ?
that is EXACTLY what it's like sometimes It's so hard when you don't feel like you fit in with the lifestyle. I dread the squadron events because no one will ever sit next to me or talk to me- it's like the highschool lunch room all over again.

Quote:
We just got orders for Nellis AFB. Anyone stationed there? We'll be moving in the next couple of months. DH is going to Korea for a year unaccompanied and Nellis is our follow on base. My DD and I will be moving there without him
BTW, Nellis was not our first choice...we volunteered for Korea to get our base of preference and the AF couldn't give us any of the 12 (!) bases we wanted...so Nellis is our last resort.
We've never been at Nellis, sorry. But that sounds pretty typical. Dh has never gotten any of the bases on his list either. Hopefully you can find someone who's been there to give you some info.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#154 of 238 Old 10-15-2009, 04:00 PM

I was wondering if you could take a look at a question I asked about military and vax's. http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1149612
Thank you.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#155 of 238 Old 10-15-2009, 04:03 PM

I LOVED Korea, and wish so much that my dh's job would go back there!! We were at Humphreys.
#156 of 238 Old 10-15-2009, 04:37 PM

just got news today that our sponsorship was approved! We should get orders on Monday. Then I have to drive my van to St. Louis to drop it off for shipping, fly back, and set up the movers, book the tickets, book the dog on the flight, and go!

Think I can do that in 2 weeks?

#157 of 238 Old 10-15-2009, 05:58 PM

Mesa, :yipee: we are soooo there with you- just got through EFMP, are waiting for the final approval from Baumholder, and then we're off. Luckily we only live 1 hr. from Ft. Lewis. I was wondering how people who lived far from an installation managed.

But doesn't the military do the booking for you? I was told that if we booked our own tickets, we'd never see that money again.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#158 of 238 Old 10-15-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Mesa, :yipee: we are soooo there with you- just got through EFMP, are waiting for the final approval from Baumholder, and then we're off. Luckily we only live 1 hr. from Ft. Lewis. I was wondering how people who lived far from an installation managed.

But doesn't the military do the booking for you? I was told that if we booked our own tickets, we'd never see that money again.
yes, but I have to call them and have them do it...we have to have a particular flight because of the dog.

#159 of 238 Old 10-15-2009, 06:30 PM

Hi! My husband is AF and we found out that we're going to the U.K. Anyone on here there? Or more specifically at Lakenheath?
We're still waiting on our EFMP to go through but don't forsee anything being a problem.
I'm excited but have a ton of questions. Mostly about what to take/not take. We've done an overseas move before but this is the first time with kids (2 boys ages 5 and 2).

Stefanie
#160 of 238 Old 10-16-2009, 05:30 AM

I've been at Lakenheath since 2006, if you want to PM me any questions, I'll try to help!

Proud Air Force wife and first time mom to a beautiful baby girl , born naturally at home July 09
#161 of 238 Old 10-16-2009, 05:44 AM

UGH I'm over the FRG and I am the darn advisor to it he he he

I do like the Officers' Wives' Club though, our group does good charity work and there seems to be a variety. Thank Goodness because the wives on my DH's boat, um, are difficult to say the least.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#162 of 238 Old 10-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
yes, but I have to call them and have them do it...we have to have a particular flight because of the dog.
Oh, okay. You can do that by phone???

:zoiks:

Does anyone know if my infant will get a seat or if we have to buy that for her? Will they accommodate our request to be on a flight with seats left so we can get her a seat with ours?

I guess I'll have to wait and see, but I'm most anxious about that.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#163 of 238 Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 PM

I have to because the nearest post is 4 hours away

I hope they provide seats for the babies! That's an awfully long flight to hold a lap child.

#164 of 238 Old 10-17-2009, 02:10 AM

Yeah, but as DH says, there's stupid, and there's Army stupid.

#165 of 238 Old 10-17-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but as DH says, there's stupid, and there's Army stupid.

#166 of 238 Old 10-17-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
just got news today that our sponsorship was approved! We should get orders on Monday. Then I have to drive my van to St. Louis to drop it off for shipping, fly back, and set up the movers, book the tickets, book the dog on the flight, and go!

Think I can do that in 2 weeks?
Yay! You'll have so much fun! I really loved Korea, I was stationed there twice. The first time I was in Seoul but the second time I was down South, close to Osan Air Base.

The winters are colder than anything I've been in, but other than that I really enjoyed it.
#167 of 238 Old 10-17-2009, 12:27 PM

So, I've been home a little over 2 weeks now. It's nice to be back! We found out yesterday that I was in the local paper, here's the link: http://conchcolor.com/0942_files/Page649.htm You can see how short my hair is now, I had to get all of the burned hair cut off.

We drove to Orlando and spent a few days at Disney, just relaxing. Last Sat, my aunt flew in, she just left yesterday.

DH leaves for ROP on the 30th, maybe 31st. He'll be gone for 3 weeks so now I get to do the solo parenting.

We've got such a busy month ahead of us. He's going to ROP and will be done on the 20th of Nov, we're PCSing back to Lewis, and closing on our house hopefully on Dec 3. DH is going back to Rgr Bn, but I have no clue what unit I'll be going to, so that will be exciting.
#168 of 238 Old 10-17-2009, 12:45 PM

What a great article, Sarah. You look beautiful!
#169 of 238 Old 10-17-2009, 02:08 PM

Welcome home, Sarah! You have such a gorgeous family. Good luck with this month. ROP, ROP... hmmmm. What does that mean?

#170 of 238 Old 10-17-2009, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Happy homecoming, Sarah! You look wonderful!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#171 of 238 Old 10-17-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

So we're at $2400 and counting in back-pay. DH got promoted in May and they haven't paid him the extra $400 a month he's supposed to be getting. We've pretty much come full circle and he just keeps going up the chain harassing people with no success. His active duty unit has nothing to do with it, and his National Guard unit claims they don't either. First it was that he needed some form from one unit for the other, so he got that and then of course they tell him that they don't handle it and go back to the other unit. Just the same old song and dance that we've been dealing with for the past 4 years. He's doing this all via email because of the time zone difference, I told him to email these people every day and to not stop harassing them until they get so sick of it they do something about it and pay us the money.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#172 of 238 Old 10-17-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Welcome home, Sarah! You have such a gorgeous family. Good luck with this month. ROP, ROP... hmmmm. What does that mean?
Regimental Orientation Program. There are two versions; RIP for lower enlisted and ROP for NCOs. You have to go to the course before you go to a Ranger BN or anywhere within the Ranger Regiment. Since he went to teach at the Scuba school, he technically left Ranger Regiment, even though he was their rep at the school. So, before he goes back to his unit he has to go through the school.
#173 of 238 Old 10-20-2009, 05:50 PM

We should be on a plane November 3rd

Oh, and they told me that EVERY dependent gets a ticket, no matter the age

And no, before you ask, it has NOT sunken in yet. Still in denial over here!

#174 of 238 Old 10-21-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
So we're at $2400 and counting in back-pay. DH got promoted in May and they haven't paid him the extra $400 a month he's supposed to be getting. We've pretty much come full circle and he just keeps going up the chain harassing people with no success. His active duty unit has nothing to do with it, and his National Guard unit claims they don't either. First it was that he needed some form from one unit for the other, so he got that and then of course they tell him that they don't handle it and go back to the other unit. Just the same old song and dance that we've been dealing with for the past 4 years. He's doing this all via email because of the time zone difference, I told him to email these people every day and to not stop harassing them until they get so sick of it they do something about it and pay us the money.
Agree. Keep harrassing whomever it is you need to harrass, and someone will eventually pay you. DH was owed funds from his TDY to Ft Huachuca for MIBOLC, and it took him 4 months of weekly phone calls to DFAS to find someone who would take responsibility for the error and pay him. Considering that you probably have the right POA to speak to someone about your DH's pay, I'd consider making the phone calls yourself to see if you can get somewhere with the pay people.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#175 of 238 Old 10-21-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
So, I've been home a little over 2 weeks now. It's nice to be back! We found out yesterday that I was in the local paper, here's the link: http://conchcolor.com/0942_files/Page649.htm You can see how short my hair is now, I had to get all of the burned hair cut off.

We drove to Orlando and spent a few days at Disney, just relaxing. Last Sat, my aunt flew in, she just left yesterday.

DH leaves for ROP on the 30th, maybe 31st. He'll be gone for 3 weeks so now I get to do the solo parenting.

We've got such a busy month ahead of us. He's going to ROP and will be done on the 20th of Nov, we're PCSing back to Lewis, and closing on our house hopefully on Dec 3. DH is going back to Rgr Bn, but I have no clue what unit I'll be going to, so that will be exciting.
Glad you're back stateside, Sarah. I hope you enjoy your stay at Ft. Lewis. The post is pretty deserted right now because almost all of the resident BDEs are deployed; however, this is a pretty good place to be overall.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#176 of 238 Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-O View Post
Agree. Keep harrassing whomever it is you need to harrass, and someone will eventually pay you. DH was owed funds from his TDY to Ft Huachuca for MIBOLC, and it took him 4 months of weekly phone calls to DFAS to find someone who would take responsibility for the error and pay him. Considering that you probably have the right POA to speak to someone about your DH's pay, I'd consider making the phone calls yourself to see if you can get somewhere with the pay people.
I've been thinking about making the calls myself but I really don't even know where to start. He said he has a new contact to harass so hopefully he gets somewhere with that person.

On a side note, I haven't even been able to enroll DD in DEERS because my midwife hasn't sent me my ultrasound report in order to get her birth certificate. This has become so much more complicated by the fact that no one actually witnessed her birth, and apparently I need someone who did. I had planned to take care of all of this when DH was home but my midwife can't get herself in gear. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, her care of me bordered on neglectful during my pregnancy, so it was only fitting that she miss the actual birth Part of me just wants to say screw it and wait until DH gets back but that's going to be pushing it too close to her first birthday.

#177 of 238 Old 10-21-2009, 02:18 AM

Oh wow... I think the midwife should be your next harrass-ee! I can't believe she hasn't gotten herself in gear enough to give you the u/s report so your DD can get a birth certificate and DEERS enrollment. Seems kinda goofy that someone has to witness the birth to make it valid. I mean, your DD is here, right? Isn't that proof enough? Sheesh.. some laws are really cumbersome!

#178 of 238 Old 10-21-2009, 02:33 AM

Wait... we didn't have a u/s report to enroll DD2 in DEERS. They just put her in there when my midwife filed the birth certificate and billed the post-natal labs to Tricare. Then they had to see her birth certificate to get her off temporary status. This was at Ft. Lewis, btw, in Waller Hall. So that is strange!!!

I have a question that I'm cross-posting in Germany Mil Moms- DH said they have great apartments on post where we'll be moving. I really wanted to be off-post for cultural reasons. Is it a huge difference? Can you foresee us getting off-post daily for stuff? What about pre-school for DD?

I know living on-post is going to be like living in a little dream-world with all these amenities and so much ease compared to off-post. But I'm used to living abroad. I used to walk a mile to the market and carry 15 lbs. of groceries home with a baby on my back.

Still... we have two under four now.

What do you recommend?

#179 of 238 Old 10-21-2009, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I need the ultrasound report in order to get the birth certificate, which I need when enrolling her in DEERS. I need actual proof of pregnancy and that is the only proof I have, I never had bloodwork, glucose test, etc. No other record exists anywhere other that the paperwork my midwife kept on me and the ultrasound report. They say they need someone who witnessed the birth because they need a witness to vouch for the fact that you actually gave birth to the child you're filing a BC for. I haven't even seen my midwife since 5 days PP, her assistants handled my 2 and 4 week appointments and I never heard from anyone for my 6 week appointment. She is a classic case of someone who takes on too many births and can't keep track of them. If it comes down to it they may request that my midwife be there when I file for it, and if they do that well it might take me months to even get her to be there.

#180 of 238 Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM

I see, I didn't realize you didn't have any bloodwork ever or anything. We had the PKU test after the birth, plus basic blood tests for me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page