Forum Jump: 

#61 of 178 Old 11-08-2009, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrtimedownhere View Post
wow, this is really interesting.

can you imagine that happening to you though? haha the though of my mom pulling on my boobs really weirds me out.

yeah it is.

actually, the reason i like camis is for the shelf bra, to keep the skin from sticking to the botton of my breasts, and nursing pads can kinda stay in them. i'll try the thrift store... at least it'll be cheaper, if they don't fit right then its fine....

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#62 of 178 Old 11-17-2009, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have enormous breasts, and agree that camis with shelf bras don't work. Nursing tanks work, but mine was as restrictive as a bra. If one could get one several sizes to big they might be an option. Not possible for me, since I was a 38 H last I measured, but they have shrunk considerably since my youngest is now 3.5. Anyway, sleep 'bras' are a good alternative. They don't really have much support to constrict lymph, but they don't fall off when you bend over. Mine was made by Kati Rose. Here's a link: http://www.nursingbrasdirect.com/shop/products/172 but mine looks looser than that- maybe I bought a size larger for comfort. It would also be easy to duplicate if you are handy with a sewing machine. Has http://www.decentexposures.com/ been mentioned? Un-Bras for those who hate bras, custom bras, and a righteous company. I can't afford them.
#63 of 178 Old 11-17-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, those "unbras" look great!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#64 of 178 Old 11-20-2009, 12:06 AM

Victoria's Secret is now offering a bra in their Lacie collection, called the "wireless bralette". Basically just soft stretchy lace! They're $18 each and come in small, medium, and large. Gorgeous colors with matching lacie panties! I love mine when I actually decide to put on a bra, haha.
#65 of 178 Old 11-21-2009, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom gave me an undershirt that's more of a tank top with a shelf bra in it- the straps are wider than a regular tank top, and it's not ribbed. The girls stay in it better than in a cami. It probably came from Badmart, though. It also didn't work when we lived without a drier- it needed to shrink back up after wearing in order to contain my udder lovelies.
#66 of 178 Old 12-21-2009, 05:02 PM

13+ years bra-free. HATE them. eugh. even those panel tops make me want to crawl out of my skin i just bought a bra in a sale last week to see what it'd look like. and yep - they are definitely as bad as i remember

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#67 of 178 Old 12-21-2009, 11:31 PM

Those unbras and the lacies might be great to have 1-2 on hand for the times when I wear something that really does need a bra. Which happens. I'm mostly good bra-free. (and I sure do not miss bras the least. I was just looking at the unbra's and thinking how much more comfy my boobs are free)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#68 of 178 Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 AM

I've been bra free for 20 years, since I fled high school & went to uni. When i had nursing breasts, I used a bra but now I really don't need to (36B-ish). Sometimes if the dress calls for it I will bust out a brassiere but that's only about twice a year.

I like singlets & camisoles instead.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#69 of 178 Old 12-28-2009, 01:23 AM

They don't even make bras for my AAAs. Well, maybe a 'training bra'.

I've never really worn one and probably never will.
#70 of 178 Old 12-31-2009, 04:02 PM

OMG LOL I'll join as I haven't worn a bra in a LONG time. Even this pg when I should be getting used to my nursing bra again I can't stand them.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#71 of 178 Old 12-31-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehawksmom View Post
They don't even make bras for my AAAs. Well, maybe a 'training bra'.

I've never really worn one and probably never will.
I'm an AAA too - welcome

Today I am wearing a short sleeved t-shirt, a long sleeved t-shirt and a sweater: it is here. I can't imagine tying myself up in a bra as well
#72 of 178 Old 01-04-2010, 08:52 PM

I stopped wearing a bra when I moved out of my parents' house, and really only waited that long because I know it would have lead to arguments when I lived at home. I've always found them both uncomfortable and unnecessary, and cannot fathom why so many women feel they can't live without them.

My daughter is turning 13 this week and a few months ago told me she wanted a bra. It caught me a little by surprise because she has never seen me wear one, and I have never encouraged her to do so. But she seems to be a little jealous that all her girlfriends are getting bras. I told her it was up to her, and we went shopping together.

I decided I would get myself sized and buy a bra too. I haven't own or worn a bra in over ten years and though maybe it would be good to have one just in case. I found out I am a 34C (I was a 34B last time I wore one) and bought a simple white cotton bra that seemed relatively comfortable in the store.

I tried wearing it for the rest of the day and had to take it off about an hour later. How do people wear those things? I'm bra free and proud!
#73 of 178 Old 01-08-2010, 01:01 AM
ber

I stopped wearing a bra while in my last month of pregnancy with my baby who was born this past September.

I'm at least a 36/38 E/F and I'm starting to get used to how it looks. Right now, I'm nursing tons and just wear stretchy tanks.

I finally remembered to search this thread here because of the little FaceBook meme that's going around right now - women are posting just a color as their status update, and it's supposed to be the color of the bra that they're wearing. Some versions of the meme say that it's to raise breast cancer awareness. After reading this thread, I'm tempted to post a link that talks about how wearing bras can adversely affect a woman's health

I actually was surprised at how many of my FB friends admitted to being braless at the moment, and how much more comfy it was. I saw that sentiment echoed in the responses too. When I shared with these girl friends that I haven't worn a bra in months, they were jealous that I'm so "free." It's sort of nice being officially braless!

M, mom to DS1 (8 yrs), DS2 (5 yrs), and DS3 (2 yrs).

#74 of 178 Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 AM
ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
Can we talk about not wearing a bra right after a new baby? I never really wore a bra except for the first months of my baby's life. It was the only way I could find to use nursing pads so that I didn't leak through my shirt. The bras were uncomfortable, though. I would love a solution that didn't involve wearing a bra for when I have the new baby in several months.
I don't go out very much with a new baby, so your mileage may vary with this approach - I just make sure to have an extra receiving blanket and when I'm getting ready to nurse, I tuck it up under my shirt. When I switch sides with the baby, I switch the receiving blanket too. I haven't done this in public too much yet, but it's worked well so far. I've also been successful with tucking nursing pads into my stretchy tanks and then just making sure they're in the right place before the milk lets down.

M, mom to DS1 (8 yrs), DS2 (5 yrs), and DS3 (2 yrs).

#75 of 178 Old 01-08-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippieshelly View Post
I tried wearing it for the rest of the day and had to take it off about an hour later. How do people wear those things? I'm bra free and proud!
Once in a blue moon I put one on if a shirt requires it and I can never believe I used to wear them all day every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber View Post
I finally remembered to search this thread here because of the little FaceBook meme that's going around right now - women are posting just a color as their status update, and it's supposed to be the color of the bra that they're wearing. Some versions of the meme say that it's to raise breast cancer awareness. After reading this thread, I'm tempted to post a link that talks about how wearing bras can adversely affect a woman's health
Oh THAT'S what that's about Now I know. Yeah, ironic isn't it - raise awareness about breast cancer with unhealthy bras

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#76 of 178 Old 01-10-2010, 04:06 AM

Bra-free for a few months before I got pregnant with my ds. I love it. I really loved it during my pregnancy with him and am enjoying it now with this pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
Can we talk about not wearing a bra right after a new baby? I never really wore a bra except for the first months of my baby's life. It was the only way I could find to use nursing pads so that I didn't leak through my shirt. The bras were uncomfortable, though. I would love a solution that didn't involve wearing a bra for when I have the new baby in several months.
I'm hoping these new shirts I got will work. I'm going to try putting a piece of velcro in the shirt and on a nursing pad and see if that works. I really love these new shirts I got.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...pictureid=1137

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber View Post
I stopped wearing a bra while in my last month of pregnancy with my baby who was born this past September.

I'm at least a 36/38 E/F and I'm starting to get used to how it looks. Right now, I'm nursing tons and just wear stretchy tanks.

I actually was surprised at how many of my FB friends admitted to being braless at the moment, and how much more comfy it was. I saw that sentiment echoed in the responses too. When I shared with these girl friends that I haven't worn a bra in months, they were jealous that I'm so "free." It's sort of nice being officially braless!
I posted the brafree.org site on mine and posted something someone else did about how posting about breastfeeding your babies helping you lower your risk of breast cancer rather than the color of your bra. It started a whole cool convo on there. Oh and someone started this group on there: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...2692222&ref=mf

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#77 of 178 Old 01-12-2010, 03:12 PM

I, also don't do the bra thing-they are so uncomfortable! Plus, i've never needed it, i'm a AA and those sizes all come with lots of padding and try to push them together for cleavage!
Express sells the best camis w/built in shelf bra-i swear by them! they are also long, i'm 27wks and xs can still fit over my belly!
I was not aware that they are bad for you--so they increase your risk of breast cancer or what? can someone clarify?
Also, what does everyone do about the leaky boob issue while nursing? And does anyone have a specific brand or store that they have found good nursing tanks at? i've looked around but am long waisted and they are all very short on me!

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#78 of 178 Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 PM

IIRC the reason that bras increase your risk of breast cancer is because you have a lot of lymph glands in your breast tissue. Lymph glands are your body's system for removing toxins (not for processing or eliminating, but removing toxins from blood.) However, the lymph system is entirely passive: to move toxins along, it requires your skeletal muscles moving and your body moving (and in the case of breasts, all that natural jiggling around) to move the toxins. so if your breasts are held immobile all day, they are sitting in accumulating toxins, and then if you aren't active without a bra, they don't really get much jiggling around to move toxins out.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#79 of 178 Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 PM

i posted about bra-free.org on facebook too. i actually got a PM from a girl from high school telling me that she works in a cancer center and that she was inspired to go bra-free more often after checking out the site.

it made me feel good.
#80 of 178 Old 01-21-2010, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i love this tribe! im bra fee pretty much all of the time. anytime i wear one i get a sore rib cage. my mom and grandma are the same! love cami, and undershirts

mama to one '07 and one '09
#81 of 178 Old 01-21-2010, 02:01 AM

I've never really worn a bra at all. I have a few that I wear with certain dressy outfits but that's only a couple of times a year and usually, my poor dh has to bring it home in his pocket because I can't stand it for more than and hour or two. I can't even tolerate the "shelf" type camisoles.
eta - I'm a 36C - D btw
#82 of 178 Old 01-23-2010, 02:11 AM

Can I be in this tribe if I only wear a bra when I go out?
I feel SO constricted in mine, and that goes for socks too!!

Mom to the best 4 little men ever! chicken3.gif
#83 of 178 Old 01-23-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacitac View Post
Can I be in this tribe if I only wear a bra when I go out?
I feel SO constricted in mine, and that goes for socks too!!
haha i don't wear socks either
#84 of 178 Old 01-23-2010, 05:09 AM

DH was really iffy about the whole no bra thing at first - he would point out if I was a bit pokie... "You're nipples are showing!" and I'd say right back.."So are yours!" Then he'd laugh and see the logic. We are in a conservative area with people who are made to suppress their sexuality...but come on, female nipples aren't any more sexual than a males (and might I add neither are sexual at all...)

Now he's chill. He sees that I'm not any more saggy than I was a year ago. And he understands the correlation between bras and cancer and cysts. He's very loving and supportive of me, anyway, which is all the support I need!!

I'm so much more comfy all the time, too. Lol. I put on a push-up bra for new years when we were in Vegas on the strip - I knew I had it on the ENTIRE time and it was really bugging me. I can't believe I used to wear those! I showed DH the marks on my skin when I took it off, and he felt really bad for all woman-kind.
#85 of 178 Old 01-23-2010, 05:33 AM

I gave up underwire bras years ago. It was freeing--literally! I still wear boob sling-type bras though. I'm a 42 E, and freestyling makes my nipples hurt when I walk a lot (like if I go braless to the grocery store or something). So I prefer a super stretchy sports bra. Nothing molded or anything. I hadn't heard about health issues related to bras until this thread. I'll have to read more about it.

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#86 of 178 Old 01-23-2010, 11:34 PM

My DP doesn't like the nipple thing either. (I don't go for the color of my nipples showing, but shape, i couldn't care less)

He'll say something like "your nipples are showing". And I'll shrug, and he'll be like "but guys will notice!" and I'm like, I really don't care. I dress modestly, but if guys want to make my nipples a sexual thing in their heads, well, I don't really approve but goodness knows I'm not going to give myself breast cancer or be in pain to prevent it!

#87 of 178 Old 01-24-2010, 01:04 PM

My nipples definitely show sometimes, but they showed sometimes even when I wore bras. A hard nipple is going to be visible through a thin shirt no matter what.
#88 of 178 Old 01-24-2010, 04:16 PM

I keep forgetting to post about these. I love them, but when I got pregnant my boobs got to big for them, but they are super comfy.

http://www.ttimeflatwear.com/

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#89 of 178 Old 01-25-2010, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
He'll say something like "your nipples are showing". And I'll shrug, and he'll be like "but guys will notice!" and I'm like, I really don't care. I dress modestly, but if guys want to make my nipples a sexual thing in their heads, well, I don't really approve but goodness knows I'm not going to give myself breast cancer or be in pain to prevent it!
I also dress more modestly now than I ever did before giving up bras. I don't think a little nipple shape under my loose, non-cleavage-revealing shirt qualifies as immodest at all! Unless you wear a burqa some randy male is always going to find something to fixate on, and at some point that just has to become his problem and not yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippieshelly View Post
A hard nipple is going to be visible through a thin shirt no matter what.
Yes! Unless I wore a padded bra my nipples would often show through anyway. In fact I notice that wearing a cami hides them better than an un-padded bra.

#90 of 178 Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 AM

-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page