is there a bra-free tribe? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 178 Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am bra free and have been for awhile! I am a "34B" last time I checked but I am convinced that my breast have shrunk after nursing my LO,lol.... It's funny the stares I get from women, as if seeing a nipple imprint is offensive *gee*

hola.gif
#122 of 178 Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have recently lost a lot of weight, and been having to wear bras to apply for jobs, so i am interested to see if now that i can be bra free again that they will perk back up. fyi, plugged ducts and mastitis can be a wheat intolerance issue, as wheat elevates prolactin levels. after i went gluten-free i never had another plugged duct (and i had oversupply, even when tandem nursing). also, polycystic breasts can be iodine deficiency. many women paint their breasts with iodine (betadine solution, it's cheap) and take iodine or kelp supplements- you can check out www.iodine4health.com (.org?or .info?). i actually take a teaspoon of kelp powder a day to help my thyroid, and i megadosed selenium, that's how i lost so much weight. the iodine supps and kelp supps don't have near as much iodine as a tsp. of the powder.
#123 of 178 Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa View Post
i have recently lost a lot of weight, and been having to wear bras to apply for jobs, so i am interested to see if now that i can be bra free again that they will perk back up. fyi, plugged ducts and mastitis can be a wheat intolerance issue, as wheat elevates prolactin levels. after i went gluten-free i never had another plugged duct (and i had oversupply, even when tandem nursing). also, polycystic breasts can be iodine deficiency. many women paint their breasts with iodine (betadine solution, it's cheap) and take iodine or kelp supplements- you can check out www.iodine4health.com (.org?or .info?). i actually take a teaspoon of kelp powder a day to help my thyroid, and i megadosed selenium, that's how i lost so much weight. the iodine supps and kelp supps don't have near as much iodine as a tsp. of the powder.
Thanks for the info on iodine. I'm going to go check that out.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#124 of 178 Old 10-08-2010, 03:25 PM

Doh!!! ok, I'll go back to taking my iodine. My doc rx'd lugol's iodine, I'm not sure what the difference is, but she was specific about it.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#125 of 178 Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Big-ish brafree girl here at a 40DD. I wish I could do those camis with the shelf bras that the smaller chested girls can pull off, but the weight of my chest just pulls it down and makes it look more trashy.

I do the extra cami (no shelf bra) underneath most tank tops to just give my body some shape. Most of my ribbed tanks look all stretched out in odd directions if I don't wear a cami underneath. It's still 1000x cheaper and better feeling than my old pinching matronly looking bras.

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

#126 of 178 Old 10-15-2010, 12:32 PM

Yay! So happy to find this tribe... I haven't read through the whole thing yet, but looking above and seeing talk about the Iodine and Booby connection is gonna have me going back and reading everything! I have had some really interesting boob action happening during my iodine supplementation. I am happily bra-less as well! My main motivator was trying to reduce my risk of breast cancer(my auntie died of breast cancer that metastasized into her bones)... But there have been so many other benefits! Awesome tribe ladies!
#127 of 178 Old 10-15-2010, 05:39 PM

hey you should also look up the vitamin D3 breast cancer correlation. Deficiency = cancer = low survival rate. unfortunately, vegetarians are usually deficient because of inefficient D2 to D3 conversion. imo D2 is pretty useless. Re: Lugol's- some believe it's more absorbable. i did have good success with it, and def. some of the iodine in kelp is bound in the undigestible polysaccaride matrix.

i looked up those nippies, didn't see a great review, and was just wondering why one couldn't trim down a set of lilypads silicone nursing shields to function the same way? i never used lilypads, so idk if it would work. . . .
#128 of 178 Old 10-15-2010, 08:05 PM

Yeah, hip to the D-deficiency and breast cancer connection. I think Vit. D-deficiency is implicated in lots of cancers, right? That being said, I am the whitest kind of white and I don't use sunscreen, and I am not vegetarian. I try to get regular good sun exposure, as well as eat foods naturally high in D... I love my pastured pork lard.

I use Lugol's (J. Crow's brand dilution) for my Iodine. After, say, two or three months of stepping up to therapeutic dosage my breasts, which were at the time very soft and low i.e. well loved kid soothers, started to get noticeably firmer and rounder(seemed higher, fuller). Provacativa, you said something in another thread about high Vitamin C doses punching up collagen formation... Well I was taking really high doses of C to help me detox junk liberated from the iodine supplementation(halides, bromine). I'm wondering if the new, pumped up tissue growth in my breasts was from the Iodine or from the C? I know Iodine helps with cell death of damaged tissue and spurs growth of new cells(why its so good for wounds and scarring)... Maybe it helped wipe out the worn out tissue in my breasts and, along with the C, worked to build up new healthy tissue?

Anyway, I am pregnant now so had to back off the therapeutic Iodine, and hence stopped taking the high dose C(still doing daily maintenance Iodine). I can't tell if there has been any more change, because any more change can be attributed to milky-boobs. But I am excited to see how my breasts are after this babe is done breastfeeding... I have a hunch that they'll fare better than with my prior two children, before I found out about the iodine. And I'm excited to get back to detoxing. Only a couple years now. *haha*

On nipples... I don't really care most of the time if they show. Sometimes men will oogle and be rude, but I ignore that. Women usually just ignore my bralessness(maybe they wish they could be out of theirs?), which I don't mind.

I like to wear snug/form fitting/stretch fabrics... Like a PP said, the mild compression/squish makes them feel a little less wild and wavy and it tends to keep the worst of my nippage under control. I REALLY like cami type shirts with "tailored" cups... Not so much a shelf bra, but designed to cup the breast. The feel of my jahoobie meat resting on my chest skin bugs me when its hot, so having the bit of fabric that sits under the breast coupled with the very light shaping of certain cuts of shirt feels better for me. I also like halter tops for this reason... I think it is the built in line under the breast that defines the shirts I feel most comfortable going bra-less out and about in. Shelf-bras are okay sometimes, but I find the elastic being too restrictive or uncomfortable at times... I guess thats why I go for the boob cupping designs. These often tend to be low/V cut... I suppose I don't mind letting em all hang out.
#129 of 178 Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 PM

yeah, i like the feel of a tight shirt, too. but with all the weight loss it doesn't look as great as it did a last year. and mine are so big that everyone stares (didn't stop me from wearing the tight shirts when i was 28 rather than 39, though). you can take paba (para amnio benzoic acid, maybe?) one of the b vitamins, to reduce sunburn- remember all the sunscreens used to have paba, but now they are paba-free b/c paba burns the eyes. there is paba in your b complex, but i find i need an extra supp of all the minor b's as per adele davis rec's. oh, and there is also coconut oil on the skin, it helps with sunburn. there is another sunburn nutrient i can't remember. i am very pale too, so i looked into those long ago. i really didn't sunburn the last couple years taking the paba in the summer, but i don't risk long exposures. and now i've hijacked the jahoobie! thread. . .
#130 of 178 Old 10-16-2010, 09:40 PM

Ok, sooooo glad I dug up this thread, I will be a good girl and take my Lugol's and my D3. I am deficient, my doc put me ona 50,000 IU once a week gel tab, thoughts? vs. the Carlson's drops?

#131 of 178 Old 10-17-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrietsmama View Post
Ok, sooooo glad I dug up this thread, I will be a good girl and take my Lugol's and my D3. I am deficient, my doc put me ona 50,000 IU once a week gel tab, thoughts? vs. the Carlson's drops?
that rx was probably d2, in which case it's pretty worthless. liquid or softgel capsules of d3 are absorbed pretty well.
#132 of 178 Old 10-18-2010, 02:10 PM

Bra free here. I go through phases where I try to make DH happy. He is in the mind set that it should be I usually win out. I have yet found a comfortable one. Always avoided underwire. I like the tank with the built in

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#133 of 178 Old 10-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Ack, so my breast went nuts this weekend. I have fibrocystic stuff, and especially where the wires used to sit. I have a spot that blew up to about the size of a duck egg on Sunday and a sore spot in my underarm. Going back to the radiologist on next Wednesday, please send me healing vibes.

#134 of 178 Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 AM

#135 of 178 Old 10-30-2010, 05:39 PM

I'm so glad to have found this thread, and also glad that it seems to have been reactivated (somewhat)! I've always felt like I had "difficult" shaped boobs when it comes to bras...I have a really broad back and very "heavy" breast...there's not much at the top and then they're really dense towards the bottom. And I think they've "sagged" since the day I got them! (My mom's exactly the same way.) I'm also really sensitive to a lot of fabrics and I hate constrictive clothes, straps digging in, having to adjust straps all day long, etc. And back fat...the worst!! So I bought these http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/inti...+Crop+Tops.jsp a few months ago. I'm always bra-free at home, but I'm a 6th grade teacher, so I'm kind of self-conscious being "bra-free" around adolescents, if you know what I mean. (I'm a 42C.)
But these are so great. The x-large fits me very well. It has taken a lot of getting used to in terms of feeling "okay" with not wearing an underwire (I work with some catty women -- I've actually heard them talking about people whose boobs are down to their belly buttons) but I don't really care anymore. And...no more back fat! Which makes me feel so much less self-conscious that I don't care about my supposedly "down to my belly button" boobs. :-)
The only thing I find now (like most of you who have said that you dress more conservatively once you're bra-free) is finding shirts that aren't quite so form fitting but don't look sloppy for work. Anyone have any "favorite" shirts that "work for work" when you're bra-free? (And I don't have to be too dressed up...so I'm not talking about suits and button-downs.)
#136 of 178 Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 PM

I can't wear those but they look comfy. I've got the opposite of the broad back so they don't cover my breasts. I like the American Apparel crossover bras for jiggle control. Fortunately I don't have to dress up. If these aren't too casual, I really like to wear a lower cut V-neck top because I think it lengthens the necklines so it doesn't look like your breasts are so low.
Just for grins, here's some examples form Eddie Bauer that I saw in a catalog. Wish I could buy them!

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/pr...e=EB&viewAll=y

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/pr...e=EB&viewAll=y

Sorry for the long links, I don't know how to do the click on it thingy.

#137 of 178 Old 10-30-2010, 10:07 PM

Thanks! Those are cute! I actually tend to wear a lot of v-necks and I never really thought about why they are so much more flattering but maybe that's the reason (because even when I wear a "real" bra the girls aren't very "high up"). I actually looked at the American Apparel bras because someone earlier on in this thread (maybe it was you?) recommended them. But the largest size they seem to come in is Large, which, according to their size chart, is 36-38, so I think it would be too tight on me. I'm also worried about the thin straps digging in from the weight of my breasts.

I've gotten a lot of cute v-neck tops from Old Navy...but sometimes their stuff is so thin and I feel self-conscious without a "real" bra. Which is so stupid, really, because you can almost always see "real" bra lines through people's shirts. Really, when you think about it, it's so odd...it's considered "okay" to see bra lines and boobs pushed up to there from push-ups but not slightly jiggly breasts. Sigh.
#138 of 178 Old 10-31-2010, 12:47 PM

I find the American Apparel bras to be really stretchy, but I guess since I wear a large rather comfortably, it's possible they would be really tight on you since you have to get them over your head and I do struggle with that.

#139 of 178 Old 11-01-2010, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi Bra free for a while here!

I don't like having my nipples show so I've come up with a solution I love. I wear a chami (I've chopped it off so it doesn't get too hot) with a double bit over the boobs (is this what is ment by shelf?) and I tuck the padding from a old bikini top inside. Comfy and no nipples show (worn for job interviews and all).

I'm glad to read about so many bra free pregant and breast feeding mamas! One book I have keeps saying how a well fitting bra is essetial for both. I hope not!

Missing my dh everyday candle.gif and hoping there is a brighter future for me out there

#140 of 178 Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa View Post
vegetarians are usually deficient because of inefficient D2 to D3 conversion .
Are you sure about this? vit D is from sunlight which is animal free! what study did you get this from?

Missing my dh everyday candle.gif and hoping there is a brighter future for me out there

#141 of 178 Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Banned

bra free for about three months now. I would usually go in phases where i would be bra-free for a number of days, and then go back to wearing one. but, i literally lost my bras (no clue where they are, and that is weird because i own so little currently). so, instead of replacing them, i'm just wearing my tanks (with shelf bras) under my shirts. it's very comfortable, and after my first period without it, i felt great. they look good too, and DH is quite happy about it too.

so, it's working out nicely. smile.gif

#142 of 178 Old 11-19-2010, 06:28 AM

I have not worn one consistently since I had a mascetomy at 21. I like camis; and they are comfy ( oh I forgot to mention I got reconstructive surgery and now my boobies are perky) :)

#143 of 178 Old 11-21-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongBeliever View Post

I REALLY like cami type shirts with "tailored" cups... Not so much a shelf bra, but designed to cup the breast.

This is exactly what I'm looking for! Can someone recommend a brand or give me a link? I HATE wearing bras. I bought two of these form-fitting camis about 10 years ago but they are pretty threadbare now and I need new ones. Unfortunately I cut the tags out because they were scratchy, so I don't know what brand they were. I got them at a big department store, like Kaufmann's or Macy's or Dillard's or something. They do not have a shelf- I hate shelf camis too! Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Retired Ohio midwife. Mama to my boy E, born 7/05
#144 of 178 Old 11-21-2010, 06:39 PM

anyone have any links to organic shelf-bra tanks or molded camis? if you know of ones that are made in the USA, it's a plus! tia! smile.gif

#145 of 178 Old 11-21-2010, 07:38 PM

Great thread!

I have been bra-free before I moved to the US nine years ago, and immediately number of people here, including my American husband told me that I MUST wear a bra because my nipples stick out. I have 34A but my nipples are longish, so yes, they are quite visible but I never cared about that and no one else cared either. I am from Russia and the guys there could care less about the breasts (well, at least those I have met:)) but the all have leg fetish. They absolutely love looking at girls' legs, and if you have long, slender and straight legs (which is my case), expect to be the center of male attention anywhere you go. And here it is all about breast which very much bothers me. I mean, I never wore bras, I find them very uncomfortable and now I must wear them. My boobs get sore no matter what brand I try. I only wear them for work, and I am bra-free at home.

I need to find a substitute that I can wear. Shelf camis are not an answer as they cut under my breasts and it hurts. Sports bra also cut under my breasts and I do not wear those as well. Perjaps, I should go with few sizes larger. I also have ezcema on my chest and sports bra lead to flare ups because they are nylon and cover a lot. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh, and after my pregnancy, my breasts went to their normal size and look as good as ever. It just the nipples that are sticking out and are very visible even if I wear thick sweater. 

#146 of 178 Old 11-21-2010, 07:51 PM

I have been 99% bra free now for 6 years or so. I do occasionally wear one to church depending on the style dress or top I am wearing. I wear either a tank with built in shelf bra or for every day I wear a man's ribbed t under a button down shirt.

I truly believe bra's are unhealthy and cause problems. After all for thousands of years woman went without them and did just fine and in many cultures still do so.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#147 of 178 Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 PM

I've been officially bra-free for about 2 months now. For years I had the hardest time finding bras that fit, and I abandoned underwires when I got to a D-cup. After DS1 was born, I wore the motherhood sleep bra 24/7 for the next 2 years (I rotated 2 of them - they were really threadbare when I was finished!) Then I switched to nursing tanks or Bravado bras. A few months ago I started having pain in one breast. I was in a lot of pain, and was ready to go see a breast surgeon to rule out anything serious but decided to stop wearing a bra for a few days after coming across some info online about the link between bras and breast pain. Sure enough, after just a day or so the pain lessened, and after a week it was gone.

If I'm wearing a thinner shirt or something that's a little see-thru I wear a plain cami with no shelf or molding. Otherwise I don't bother. My boobs have actually gotten a little perkier since I stopped wearing a bra. I was petrified that everyone would be staring at me since I'm a saggy DD, but nobody seems to notice.

This afternoon I grabbed one of my old nursing tanks to wear under a sort of sheer t-shirt because it was a good color match. I put it on and literally within 5 minutes was in pain. Needless to say I wore my cami happily instead.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#148 of 178 Old 12-12-2010, 05:58 PM

I've been mostly bra-free for about five years now. I'm usually a 36B, but I'm up to 38C now at 21 weeks pregnant, so they're going to end up bigger than I've ever had before, so we'll see how things go. I usually wear one to work, mainly because it's pretty obvious when I don't. My nipples are pierced and you can see the shape of the jewelry. I'll be taking them out soon to nurse and I'm going to give the LilyPadz a shot. I love the days when I can just wear a cami and no bra. I love the Motherhood sleep bras if I have to wear something, but they come up really high with my smallish breasts and show over the neckline of most of my shirts. The bras I do wear don't have underwire. When I stopped wearing a bra regularly and wore an underwire again, I realized how insanely uncomfortable those things are. Why would anyone torture themselves with a huge piece of metal under their breasts?

Outside of work, I only wear a bra when I'm wearing something sheer. My nipples are visible in a lot of my shirts (especially with the piercings) but I just don't care. I have nipples, you have nipples, we all have nipples. So why are women expected to keep theirs hidden like they don't exist? The whole breast can be exposed, but it's ok as long as you can't see the nipple. Makes NO sense!

I actually wrote a post a few weeks ago on my blog about this very subject. It's here if anyone's interested.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#149 of 178 Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 PM

I'm still cosy and bra free in my cami here in the freezing cold winter. Can you believe that we have had -17C here in the UK? It's unheard of!

Not much else new here but I thought I'd share this. I have been married to my dh for nearly 9 years and not worn a bra for all of that time. Out of the blue the other day he said to me "I never thought I'd end up with a girl who didn't wear a bra" He had just come home from work and hugged me as he does every day and when I asked him if that bothered him he said of course it didn't but he'd realised he can hug me and run his hands up and down my back without hitting any hardware which is nice.

He never thought he'd raise a child without ever having put a nappy on her bottom or co-sleep or be a babywearing dad so it's another thing to add to his list of non-mainstream marvels!

#150 of 178 Old 01-28-2011, 01:52 AM

Also freedom-boobed here! I stopped wearing one in 1998, started again for a while when pg with ds4, and have worn camis since. I get very cold if I don't wear a cami, especially because they keep me covered up while I nurse. :)

I was a 36DD when I wore a bra, and being on my fifth nursling, my breasts are healthy, firmer and perkier than ever before! I'm also much, much smaller than when I wore bras. I stopped wearing a bra when I developed breast-concentrated cancer. So, I quit the bra, th solvent-based art supplies, isopropyl alcohol, processed and/or packaged food, all "beauty" products, and in four months with lots of sleep and fresh air, my free breasts were tumour-free, and I have had no further incidence.

Recently, a friend asked me about giving my girl-child her first bra, and I said, "What are you, crazy??!!! Why would I ever do that?" Then there was a long, weird, stunned silence, so I added, "Well if she wants one, I'll get one for her, but you'll never hear me encouraging anyone to wear a harness." Then with incredulity, "But you, wear one; why wouldn't you let her, too?" My surprised response was, "I don't wear a bra. I haven't for 13 years minus a few months." Then it occurred to me that in all of the time we've spent together, they had no idea that my boobs have been free! They've not noticed or deliberately observed my breasts; how awesome is that?! :)

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page