is there a bra-free tribe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 178 Old 09-29-2009, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't wear a bra. I find them uncomfortable, unneccessary and unhealthy. Anyone else?

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#2 of 178 Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM

me!

i haven't worn one in 3 years.
#3 of 178 Old 09-29-2009, 08:53 PM

I'm a no bra girl!!!! I do tend to wear an under tank though to keep the girls from flopping wildly into other peoples faces I looooove it. I wish I had rejected bra wearing sooner in my life. I was always aware that it was unhealthy, but was in the habit kwim? I also think that it was part of self discovery for me in helping to teach me not to care how other see me. I would never go back.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#4 of 178 Old 09-29-2009, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Me too!

I stopped wearing one about 3-4 years ago when I read how much they increase the risk of cancer. I wear tanks with the built-ins in them, but they can hardly be called bras

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#5 of 178 Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 PM

Yeah, those are what I wear most of the time too... def NOT a bra not at all.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#6 of 178 Old 09-30-2009, 12:39 AM

i wore a tank with a shelf bra for ONE DAY and got a plugged duct. ugh.
#7 of 178 Old 09-30-2009, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yay!
I too stopped wearing a bra (a year and a half ago) after learning how it seems to be related to breast cancer (the info on brafree.org is what convinced me).
I had a long and complicated relationship with bras before that. At 9 my breasts started getting ready to grow, and I was anxious to grow into a woman physically, couldn't wait to get my period, etc. so I asked for some training bras and my mom got them for me even though I really didn't need them. After a while I forgot about them until I got to be about 11 and I really started to get breasts. At this point my mom started making me wear a bra when we went out, which I resisted because they were uncomfortable and I felt like they were unnecessary since my boobs were so small anyway. But I didn't think that much about them until I was around 13 and I realized that I could get beautiful, lacy bras from the real bra section and I started to like them. At the same time though I was experiencing my rebellious teenage years and would sometimes not wear them, which resulted in fights with my mother. My parents seemed to have the idea that not wearing a bra outside was basically an open invitation to every man around. Which bothered me very much, to say the least. When I got to 17, they stopped caring so much whether or not I wore a bra, which resulted in me having much less problem with wearing them. When I moved to a foreign country at 18, I wore them more or less all the time as I felt insecure and I was afraid of attracting attention in any way. This also went with a period when I was on the pill, drinking a lot, and generally being willfully unconscious about my lifestyle. I told myself I was wearing bras because my breasts felt uncomfortable without them since they had grown
Anyway, after a few years I started to become more conscious about my lifestyle in general, and happened across brafree.org, after which I realized that the only reason I was wearing bras was because I was afraid of social disapproval and that it simply wasn't worth sacrificing my health and comfort for. It's perfectly possible to dress nicely and appropriately and not wear a bra, and there was just no reason to go on abusing my breasts anymore. Milkymommi, I feel like that too, it was definitely a part of my own growth process.
So I stopped wearing bras altogether and nobody has ever commented except my mom who seems to think I do it to get attention
I also generally wear a tank top or spaghetti strap under my shirt, or a sports bra when I exercise. I have found that my style has changed naturally after I stopped bra wearing. I have very few low-cut or tight shirts anymore. I now prefer looser, less revealing clothing or sweaters in the winter, and I feel ironically much less exposed in general and more secure in my appearance. My breasts have ceased to be the focus of my appearance, and in a way less a part of my identity. I feel more self-contained and self-integrated than I ever did wearing a bra - which, after all, are usually designed to emphasize just as much as to hide. I feel honest with myself.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#8 of 178 Old 10-01-2009, 12:54 PM

Just let me say that I NEVER could have imagined I'd fall into this group... EVER!!

I have rather large breasts for my frame and have always had a deep seeded shame and almost hatred for them. I HATE any public attention on them, don't wear low cut shirts, and have terrible posture because I've never felt comfortable just sticking them out there. Bras that fit and are comfortable are soooooo very hard to find, especially in my size (small band size, large cup size). I don't like clothing I have to fidget with and bras have always seemed to fight with me on that. I thought that since I was a large cup size there was no way to go bra free and I was going to be stuck in them forever and uncomfortable. I tried every cut, shape, and style you could think of.... nothing fit. Most of the time I'd actually end up wearing 2 bras at once just to get the job done. No way I could go without right?

Wrong!

When I was preg with ds none of my previous-sort-of-fitting bras came close to containing me and I was beyond broke. So I went to Wal Mart and bought the cheapest set of 3 sports bras. They can't possible be called sports bras. They have no cup contouring, no seams anywhere, and are pretty much just a rectangular shaped thin piece of fabric with tiny little shoulder straps. Basically it's more like a fitted tank top that ends just below the breasts. I thought that once ds was born and BFing was more regulated I'd find some bras that fit. Well, money was never there and I liked the ease of BFing with these thin excuse for bras. Just lift it up and I'm ready to go. They also manage to keep my breasts in a more comfortable position than traditional bras ever did. This also seems to draw less attention from onlookers which I love.

So now ds is 10 months old and I have no intention of buying any bras.... EVER. I wear tanks with chinsey shelf bras and these cheapo glorified sports bras that are really no more than a cropped tank with elastic around the bottom. It's so wonderful and I feel oddly liberated. I don't feel like I'm trying to control my body but rather live with it as my equal. I'm finding that I'm also disliking them less and feeling more comfortable pushing my shoulders back and standing up straight in public.

I never thought I'd be here... but, here I am!!

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#9 of 178 Old 10-01-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

What a great story, FondestBianca!!!

#10 of 178 Old 10-01-2009, 02:09 PM

Well one of the few good influences my mother had over me was the ridiculousness of bras. She never wore one, we both don't have much to hold up anyways. The first time I wore one on a regular basis was when I was in my 30s and pregnant because my nipples were so sensitive. And three pregnancies later they are a little bigger and flop alot more so I do wear a bra at work but the second I get home off it goes, much to the dismay of my MIL. She also thinks I don't wear one or shave my legs because I'm being rebellious, BS, grow up and get over it, it's COMFORTABLE!! She also says the only reason she ever started to shave her legs is because she thought it looked more attractive with pantyhose, "it was nothing to do with society", yeah right and I've got a bridge to sell her, but that's another story.

Sarah

Proud mama to three bouncing unschooled boys:, Ian5/02, Connor9/04, and Andrew1/08!:::: Milk Donors!familybed2.gifwaterbirth.jpghomeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdizzy.gif

#11 of 178 Old 10-03-2009, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
hee, this is totally my tribe. I haven't regularly worn a bra since I was twenty or twenty one. It felt odd at first, but now it's just how I am. I will wear one occasionally if I am having sore breast issues (pms, pregnancy, etc) but other than that I have no need. I MAY use one for the gym, but since we just decided to start going I can't say yet. I don't use it to excercise at home.
#12 of 178 Old 10-12-2009, 07:31 PM

Hi! I stopped wearing a bra the first time I became pregnant. What I had stopped fitting and I just didn't consider getting more. My mother says I never seemed to like them and she would bring them home for me to try. Anyway, that was 13 years ago. I've tried them occasionally, but they feel so constricting.

My current challenge is my nearly 13 year old daughter. She doesn't want to wear a bra either, which is bringing me to revisit just what my philosophy is. I figure she at least has to learn to wear shirts that aren't revealing, then. She's expressed interest in vests which sound like a good idea.

My mother thinks it is awful to be "hanging out there like that" and says that it is like going around naked. She was starting to get to me but then we went to a family wedding and I saw my aunts and others going around in super low cut dresses and I thought, "what the heck!" How can she criticize me when so many people are going around now totally letting their boobs hang out?!

Leslie
#13 of 178 Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 AM

Bra-free here too! And yes my mother hates it as well

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#14 of 178 Old 10-13-2009, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebird View Post
we went to a family wedding and I saw my aunts and others going around in super low cut dresses and I thought, "what the heck!" How can she criticize me when so many people are going around now totally letting their boobs hang out?!
I totally don't understand how it was always ok for me to go around in low cut or tight fitting shirts with cleavage, straps showing, etc. but a loose shirt with no bra is somehow inappropriate

#15 of 178 Old 10-14-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

I totally don't understand how it was always ok for me to go around in low cut or tight fitting shirts with cleavage, straps showing, etc. but a loose shirt with no bra is somehow inappropriate
It's the nips!!! My MIL can't stand anyone going braless and to her the offensive part or parts are that when you go braless your nipples might show,OMG how embarrassing, NOT! I think showing tons of cleavage is alot more eye catching than a nipple thru fabric.

Proud mama to three bouncing unschooled boys:, Ian5/02, Connor9/04, and Andrew1/08!:::: Milk Donors!familybed2.gifwaterbirth.jpghomeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdizzy.gif

#16 of 178 Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmaine View Post
I think showing tons of cleavage is alot more eye catching than a nipple thru fabric.
ITA!!! Teenagers in tiny shirts are way more sexual and exhibitionist than me with my loose peasant shirt with no bra (I know, I used to be one of those teenagers ). Not that I try to show nipple (I usually wear an undershirt unless it's really hot), but if one peeps through I really don't feel ashamed - and I don't care if people look. Let them, it's their trip, and anyway there needs to be more non-sexual nippleage going on, then maybe people wouldn't be so amazed when they see them!

#17 of 178 Old 10-14-2009, 08:28 PM

Count me in. Haven't wore a bra for most of my life. Never sounded like a pleasant idea. As a matter of fact, I bought my first bra while I was still pregnant, because I anticipated the need for nursing pads after the baby was born. However, I did not need any nursing pads, and the bras make my nipples sore and lead to clogged ducts. Only wear nursing gear when I'm seeing my ILs and anticipate NIP.

I often wear a tank top under my clothes when I go to work because I work with college students and I don't want to embarrass them. I used to wear mostly loose shirts, but I've recently become more interested in wearing tighter shirts because they're more easily layered (and maternity clothes made me long for a change).

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#18 of 178 Old 10-14-2009, 09:36 PM

Yeah, my tribe, too!
I can't remember the last time I wore a bra. It must have been at least a decade ago; I certainly haven't even owned a bra in years! I frequently wear tank tops underneath, or those shelf-bra camisoles.
My boobs feel happy and free.
#19 of 178 Old 10-15-2009, 02:52 PM

I am mostly bra free! My situation is really similar to FondestBianca. I wear really thin tank style night nursing bras if I have to go out, and am bra free all together at home. I have 1 lowly soft cup bra that I bring out for certain outfits. It started because I couldn't find nursing bras that fit and were comfortable and affordable. Being braless makes nursing an absolute breeze and it's so much more comfortable!

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#20 of 178 Old 10-16-2009, 05:55 AM

I'm sort of bra free. I fluctuate. I don't like bras at all, and I know they're not good for me, but I still wear them occasionally. When my breasts are really sore (and any bouncing is painful), when I'm wearing a thin white shirt (I don't mind the shape of my nipples showing (DP does lol, but he'll get used to it), but I do mind the color showing, and I haven't got any white tanks atm.), or occasionally when I feel like that shape. (I really want to get a nice soft cup barely bra for the days when I want a bra, but I rarely want my padded underwire uncomfortable bra). I'm probably 75% bra free. can I still join? lol.

and my mom hates it when I go bra free as well.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#21 of 178 Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 PM

I have always had very small breasts. They got smaller and floppier as I had children and just from gravity too, I guess. lol

I can't remember ever having a comfortable bra. I have some sports bras but they ride up some.

I love being braless. My main concern is making other mamas uncomfortable. I don't pay any attention to men, probably because I don't think they are looking at me with two children trailing me everywhere. I just don't want the mamas getting embarrassed or something.

I went braless some this summer but will probably go braless most, if not all, of winter.
#22 of 178 Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 PM

All I wear are tank tops with shelf bras. I wear one every day winter and summer and just add or subtract layers as necessary. I don't even wear sports bras anymore.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#23 of 178 Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 PM

Me too! Me too! There used to be an Itty Bitty tribe but it got quiet and is now archived.

I am the proud owner of two fully functioning 36AAA breasts which have fed 4 children and I've never found a bra that is worth wearing when breastfeeding or not.

At my biggest and milk-full I am about an A cup: I got measured when I had my second babe and was told that I "should" have grown by 2 cup sizes. Uh - I already have lady!!

I have liked some crossover cotton tops for breastfeeding and some mini tanks like fondestbianca has but over the past couple of years I have been wearing what we call a vest (but I think you call an undershirt/tank?) or nothing at all. I don't like the feeling of being squeezed by elasticated stuff any more.

In the summer I sewed some loose tops to wear over t-shirts and vests if I was going somewhere where nipples: might be frowned upon. My mum doesn't mention my bralessness at all so I have no problems there!

village idiot - braless in winter is easy! Just do it!
#24 of 178 Old 10-26-2009, 03:41 AM

so far the only person to mention anything to be about my not wearing a bra was my drunk brother :eyeroll: he said something like "don't you even have a... restraining apparatus??" i said, "nah." haha
#25 of 178 Old 10-26-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrtimedownhere View Post
so far the only person to mention anything to be about my not wearing a bra was my drunk brother :eyeroll: he said something like "don't you even have a... restraining apparatus??" i said, "nah." haha
Restraining apparatus?
#26 of 178 Old 10-26-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

at restraining apparatus. That is exactly what bras are!
That reminds me of what my dear male friend (possibly even crunchier than me) said in response to DP teasing me about not wearing a bra: "I have no problem with ursusarctos not wearing one of those lymph-constricting vices of doom"! Yay for enlightened males!

#27 of 178 Old 10-26-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post
I don't wear a bra. I find them uncomfortable, unneccessary and unhealthy. Anyone else?
yes i stopped a week ago. i even went as far as throwing them away!!! i am loving it so much now!! i will never go back. my concern is just making it not look obvious. im sorry but im not wearing a bra because society wants me to! its my body and my health! i am brafree and lovin' it
#28 of 178 Old 10-28-2009, 12:23 AM

Can I join?

I'm in Utah, and it seems women/girls are supposed to fit into this perfect mold so that they can attract a good husband here. Perfect round, nipp-less breasts are a must!

Needless to say going braless is a good shallow or insecure person filter. My husband is hesitant to have me go braless all the time, as nipples freak people out here in Utah, but honestly most of the time he doesn't even notice (I'm 21 and mine aren't that big anyway - 34Bs) and I know he wants me to be healthy.

Hooray for tanks and layers! I usually wear two shirts at a time, or a tank, and a sports bra when working out because I'm not used to the rubbing which kind of stings when I bounce.

<3 glad to be here!
#29 of 178 Old 10-28-2009, 01:25 AM

I've been bra free for a decade (except for a brief period during my pregnancy with dd when my nipples were too sensitive) I am mostly not self conscious about it but I have occasional moments because I am large breasted, but the discomfort I feel when I try to force myself and my girls into harness soon has me back into my loose tshirts. I like the idea of a tank underneath though - I might try that. The times I find it most difficult are when I'm helping at waterbirths and I end up wet........
#30 of 178 Old 10-28-2009, 02:22 AM

I am bra free most of the time. I wear them more in the summer when its too hot to wear a sweatshirt (when going out in public).

Im very very well endowed and after bfing 4 girls, and more yrs of gravity they arent very perky anymore. As soon as I walk in the door, bra comes off and I never wear one at home. Also never bother to put one on when dh's friends come over. I do wear larger fitting clothes anyway.

Ive always hated wearing bras, and my mom always told me if I didnt, I would look like foreign women in National Geo where their breasts hang down to their belly buttons.
Funny though, my odd is almost 15 (shes as big as me) and wears a bra ALOT and hers already look like mine braless. So I guess it didnt matter if I wore one or not all these yrs.

Mama to 4 girls: 12/24/94, 1/20/01, 1/24/05, 10/16/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page