Not Mamas Yet Tribe Winter/Spring 2010 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fun! Thanks for getting us going again. Here are my answers:

-What kind of birth are you hoping for? I'd love to have my baby at home! I would like to have the option of a water birth, but I'd want to just go with what felt the most comfortable for me at the time. I plan to do everything possible to keep out of the hospital. For now, that means sticking to my new exercise plan (DO.SOMETHING.EVERY.DAY!!!) and drinking my oatstraw and nettle infusions, taking my CLO, getting lots of sleep, and eating well.

-name ideas? Oh I just love thinking of names! I have a whole list -- mostly girl names though-- at home. Off the top of my head now, I love: Frances (Franny), Lumin, Opal, Lila, Violet, Viola, Cedarose, Eliza, Lula, Rose, Ruby, and Lily. For boys....Leland. I have such a hard time with boy names!

-Where do you want to live/where do you live? We live in Tallahassee FL. I'm 4th generation born here and he has lived here all his life. It's not the greatest climate for me, personally, and there are some amazing places out there to visit, but I just can't see moving away from my family. We're really close. If I went anywhere, it would probably be to Gainesville-- which is 1.5 hours south. I really like it there.

-How many kiddos do you want, and does anyone plan to adopt? I would love to adopt, but I don't see that in my future unless I can't get pregnant. We have very limited funds at this point. If we had lots of money, I would allow myself to get more excited about it! As for number of kids-- I'll be very happy with just one, but I loved having a brother growing up, so I'm not sure yet if I'll have 1 or 2.

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 05:03 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

Mother lake: I'm a homemaker as well!!

*Do you have any hobbies?*
Music, watching movies, reading, cooking and baking

*What do you do as a job? What's your dream job?*
Homemaker, former opera singer and music teacher, and had to quit due to my chronic pain. My dream job is SAHM, with maybe WAHM PT as a private music teacher.

*Any non-crunchy confessions?*
I still use Lysol wipes although I also use vinegar, baking soda, soap and water with towels!!
Old 03-20-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclovinglife View Post
Homemaker, former opera singer and music teacher, and had to quit due to my chronic pain. My dream job is SAHM, with maybe WAHM PT as a private music teacher.
What chronic pain do you have???

~Lisha
L.☮.♥.E.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:27 PM

Right hip (chronic bursitis, labral tear and cyst) and left knee pain (diagnosed with OA on the left knee) at the moment...Had a surgery on the right knee 5 years ago and later, a strained left knee...To make a long story short, my legs have knocked knees and have been causing me orthodic problems. It's probably congenital, but I only started to suffer 5 years ago after leading an active life. I've walked off and on with a cane, but after tons of physio I'm now doing better and am cane free! I still can't really walk or stand up for too long though.

PG worries me a bit, but by finally moving closer to my wonderful Canadian osteopath, who does PG women and babies as well, hopefully will help me a ton. I am hoping for a natural childbirth!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Right hip (chronic bursitis, labral tear and cyst) and left knee pain (diagnosed with OA on the left knee) at the moment...Had a surgery on the right knee 5 years ago and later, a strained left knee...To make a long story short, my legs have knocked knees and have been causing me orthodic problems. It's probably congenital, but I only started to suffer 5 years ago after leading an active life. I've walked off and on with a cane, but after tons of physio I'm now doing better and am cane free! I still can't really walk or stand up for too long though.

PG worries me a bit, but by finally moving closer to my wonderful Canadian osteopath, who does PG women and babies as well, hopefully will help me a ton. I am hoping for a natural childbirth!
Oof!! Sounds like barrels of fun you got there. :P

Glad things are finally improving though! No canes! Woot!

~Lisha
L.☮.♥.E.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

Mother lake: I'm a homemaker as well!!

Music, watching movies, reading, cooking and baking

I still use Lysol wipes although I also use vinegar, baking soda, soap and water with towels!!
Yay for Homemakers and sorry to hear about your chronic pain situation.

Ru , wife to DH . Astin (4/26/10) & Ember (5/19/10).
I have lost my dreams--Dar Williams
Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 PM

1. We have 8 pets.
1 Arabian horse - Meteor
2 Dobermans - Deoji and Kinya
4 cats (2 sets of brothers) - Taki, Popo, Shaker, and Splotch
1 hermit crab (only one to survive the move to NY) - no name

2. So far we only have the CDs I just got to take advantage of the free BG.

3. CHEESE!!! I just love cheese.

4. Someone on one of my horse forums referred me here.

5. I have lived in 8 states and moved 30+ times in 30 years.

RN (34), a bit of a treehugger.gif, fur mama to 3 cat.gif and 1 horse,with a wonderful, artistic hubby (41), married since 2004.

Mama to D.G., born 9/19/12 at 32w4d, who happily fly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfambedsingle1.gifcd.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gif 

Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 AM

1. Do you have any pets? If so, what kind and what are their names?
-Yep! Two dogs and two cats. I have a Jack Russell Terrier who is 6 named Jay, and a 2 year old Yorkie named Lilo. We also have two yard cats who we rescued when they were a month old named BK and Middie, who are almost 7. They're all my absolute babies, I'll be sad when I leave home

2. Do you have anything stashed away for your future kids? (oh-so-cute outfit you couldn't not buy? Special cradle that's been in the family forever? )
-Actually no, I don't! I imagine though that once I'm married and I know that kids are in the near future, I'll start picking up things like cloth diapers or a sling, if I find a good deal. I do have a few things planned though, for gifts and such. I'm going to get my daughter itty bitty diamond stud earrings (real diamonds) for her 2nd birthday. This started with my sister, who got a gorgeous gold bracelet as a baby. It might be gaudy to have a toddler with diamonds, but nobody has to know they're real...plus, little ones are $200 or less. My parents also typically give one big present to each grandbaby (niece one got a huge travel set, niece two got a really nice double jogging stroller) and I plan to ask for a Sunshine Radian carseat. Also, when I do someday find out I'm pregnant, I'm going to tell my mom (who I'm best friends with) by wrapping up the stick and a sling for her

3. Favorite food?
-cheese pizza from Dominos with tons of garlic sauce. ZOMG. They got that new crust, and it's to die for. I'm ashamed to admit that here, haha, but I could eat it every freaking day. I limit myself to 2-3 times a month.

4. What brought you to MDC?
-I actually don't remember! I think it was an article I read on Mothering, and I decided to check out the forums.

5. Random fact about yourself
-I'm a huge sucker for anything technological. I tell my mom that I plan to plant my birthing tub right in front of my big screen tv, with about 20 hours of reality tv tivo-ed. I'm especially in love with Apple...when this laptop dies, I'm investing in a MacBook Pro. I am fascinated with the iPad, and might ask for one for my birthday if the price goes down by August. I've been a total iPod loyalist since the very beginning, and firmly believe you get what you pay for. I am in LOVE with iPhones, and as soon as I'm out of school and my T-Mobile contract runs out, I'm getting one . I actually have gone to two Apple stores and pestered the poor employees about why T-Mobile doesn't have the iPhone yet.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 AM

1.Do you have any pets? If so, what kind and what are their names?
I do! We have one dog, Jackie, and one cat, Hadji. We also have 2 chickens-- Honey & Petunia.

2. Do you have anything stashed away for your future kids? (oh-so-cute outfit you couldn't not buy? Special cradle that's been in the family forever? Of course! I have a drawer or two stuffed with little things I've been collecting, and the Snugli my parents used with me. I have some baby clothes that my sister in law saved for me, a whole bag of cloth diapers, and ALL of my baby clothes!

3. Favorite food? Hmmmm...I love food! I love vegetables, and I love baking, I love almost all breakfast foods, and japanese food is another favorite.

4. What brought you to MDC? I subscribed to the magazine after reading a copy at a friend's house.

5. Random fact about yourself When I was growing up my parents owned a small home-based herbal soap company, and I spent my saturdays selling it at the farmer's market!

Oiseau-- my dog, Jackie, is a boy!

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:42 AM

Oiseau - you DO NOT have cockroaches! That's hardcore. lol

1. I have a cat named Alice Paul, after my favorite suffragette. Like the original Alice Paul, my cat has lived in both the USA and the UK and is very, um, vocal.

2. I have a whole hope chest in my basement of stuff I've bought and made over the last 10 years. I'm taking a break from adding to it for a little while, but will start up again when I feel ready.

3. Dairy products. Cheese, yogurt, etc. And, even though I didn't eat them when I lived there, American products I can't get in the UK (Annie's mac n cheese, peanut butter cereal, graham crackers, etc).

4. I found out about Mothering when I was a nanny (hence the SN I chose then, and still have), and came onto MDC to get some advice about one of my nanny kids. And I stayed!

5. I was nearly a professional ballet dancer when I was younger, but now I'm just about to start a PhD program studying new religions in America.

Bicycle-ridin', craftin', bloggin' feminist future mama to my starbabies dum spiro spero
Old 03-23-2010, 01:20 PM

1.Do you have any pets? If so, what kind and what are their names?
Nope. We used to have two baby turtles and billion fish. But a car crashed into our house one winter and it go too cold in the basement (where their tank was) so they died.

2. Do you have anything stashed away for your future kids?(oh-so-cute outfit you couldn't not buy? Actually no I don't.... I hadn't/ haven't really thought about kids quite yet at this point in my life, since I'm still in college and such.

3. Favorite food? MEXICAN FOOD!!!!!! And cereal. I am so addicted. Yes, I love being in Spain like I am now, but I am so deprived of Mexican food it's not even funny. They have one or two "Mexican" restaurants here but it's not the authentic delicious kind like I can get in my home town.

4. What brought you to MDC? My BFF (IRL) Kayla told me about it!

5. Random fact about yourself I hate white socks. I also own entirely too many pairs of socks. I could fill 2+ dresser drawers with all of them.

~Lisha
L.☮.♥.E.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 PM

so i haven't been around in awhile, been working alot, and dealing with moving and the new amazing guy i met but i figured i'd stop in an answer some questions an hope i have more time to stop in, not havin internet is one of my problems

What kind of birth are you hoping for? Water, home, home water, hospital, etc?

I would love a homebirth probably not water since i'm not much a fan so i dont really see myself loving that but you never know

-Any more name ideas?
Names hmmmm i love names, i really like Claire for a girl an Jameson (jaime) for a boy

-Where do you want to live/where do you live?
right now i live in northern NM but idk where i want to live anywhere i am happy but i do want to settle down when i have kids, we moved around alot when i was younger an i hated it

-How many kiddos do you want, and does anyone plan to adopt?
I would love at least 3 maybe more i love kids, adopting would be awesome

i have alot of hobbies, reading, watching tv. art i love all kinds of art. i love getting tattoos, hiking, camping, taking my camera out, sledding..

right now i'm a waitress at a super crappy restaurant (applebees) but it is where i met my new guy so i guess its not that bad an it pays the bills. my dream job would be something in midwifery or tattooing or to be a stay at home mom

i love T.V and fast cars.

i dont but i would love a puppy

2. Do you have anything stashed away for your future kids? (oh-so-cute outfit you couldn't not buy? Special cradle that's been in the family forever?
i do its a B-is for Bob with bob marley picture on it thats a shirt that i found somewhere an haven't been able to give away cause i can see it on my future baby

3. Favorite food?
Hot Wings, soup and Mataar Paneer (Peas and Paneer Indian Dish) and anything asian like Thai food yum!

the magazine which i'm obsessed with and my midwifery/doula stuff

I've never been in love
I seem like a total girly girl when u meet me but i have hidden tattoos an quirks u would never think of when u met me
Old 03-24-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaina View Post

-Where do you want to live/where do you live?
right now i live in northern NM but idk where i want to live anywhere i am happy but i do want to settle down when i have kids, we moved around alot when i was younger an i hated it

2. Do you have anything stashed away for your future kids? (oh-so-cute outfit you couldn't not buy? Special cradle that's been in the family forever?
i do its a B-is for Bob with bob marley picture on it thats a shirt that i found somewhere an haven't been able to give away cause i can see it on my future baby
^^ 1. I didn't think there was snow in NM? But it says you love snow in your signature?! Haha, that's wonderful!! I'm from MN and I love snow too. People think I'm nuts for it though!

2. OMG!!!! Bob Marley shirt?! That is amazing. Seriously. Where did you find it anyhow???

~Lisha
L.☮.♥.E.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:21 PM

A cat named Liam

No, not yet!

3. Favorite food?

Dark chocolate!!

I've been lurking for quite some time because I love AP! I'm not sure how I found it, perhaps through googling parenting message boards.

I'm addicted to message boards!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:10 PM

Hi, I'm wondering if I can be added again to the list? I'm mostly a lurker, but I am 21, single and so unsure as to when I will start having babies.
More I'm here to read and learn.

treehugger.gifQueer Not-A-Mama-Yet, here to read and lurk until it is time to have the babies...

Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 AM

*What kind of birth are you hoping for?*
At home, possibly water birth (I think my apt. may be too small for a tub), with midwife (and possibly doula).

*Any more name ideas?*
Too many to list!

*Where do you want to live/where do you live?*
I live in New York City, just outside of Manhattan. I love it here, but I wish I had outdoor space and a second bedroom. Also, I don't relish having upstairs/downstairs neighbors for the rest of my life. I'm from the Midwest, so I'll always dream of more space and a house of my own.

*How many kiddos do you want/do you plan to adopt?*
I think I just want one. If I changed my mind, I could imagine spacing them 3-4 years apart, but not much more (since I'm already in my mid-thirties). I'd be open to adoption if I can't conceive (or wanted another child).

I read, blog (about food, mostly), knit, bake, watch a lot of films, take photos, and spend way too much time on the internet.

I work in a recording studio for audio books, but I'm considering getting into sound design OR becoming a librarian (children's/youth/school/etc) OR going back to school in gender studies. Too many choices!!

My "crunchy confessions" would take up less space. But I'm "crunchy-friendly" and "lazy crunchy."

----------

1. Do you have any pets?

We have one cat. He's around 10 years old (rescue) and a bit of a brat.

2. Do you have anything stashed away for your future kids? (oh-so-cute outfit you couldn't not buy? Special cradle that's been in the family forever?)

Sort of. I have some baby things I bought or knitted that were supposed to be gifts but didn't end up being given away. I didn't exactly buy/make them intending to keep them, though. Also, my parents have my cradle (which my grandfather made), and I've thought about "borrowing" it for the first 6-? months if I do have a child.

3. Favorite food?

I love food. I don't have one favorite. But I'm very into roasted broccoli this week. And potatoes. And peanut butter. And chocolate. And...

I don't remember, but I think I was researching a question for my best friend when she was pregnant a few years ago. She didn't like to read too much, for fear she'd run across something upsetting, so I looked up a lot of things online for her. I love research!

I'm tall (5'10") and about to be late for work.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreelishy View Post
^^ 1. I didn't think there was snow in NM? But it says you love snow in your signature?! Haha, that's wonderful!! I'm from MN and I love snow too. People think I'm nuts for it though!

2. OMG!!!! Bob Marley shirt?! That is amazing. Seriously. Where did you find it anyhow???
ya northern NM has tons of snow and ski resorts all over it

i found it in a free box in hawaii but i've seen them in alot of hippie type stores they also have one that say's J is for Jerry that i want
Old 03-26-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaina View Post
ya northern NM has tons of snow and ski resorts all over it

i found it in a free box in hawaii but i've seen them in alot of hippie type stores they also have one that say's J is for Jerry that i want
Oh! Ha, shows how much geographical things I know.

Yay for free shirts! Especially hippie-ish ones!

~Lisha
L.☮.♥.E.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:29 PM

No pets. I want a dog someday. Or maybe a turtle.

2. Do you have anything stashed away for your future kids? (oh-so-cute outfit you couldn't not buy? Special cradle that's been in the family forever?)
Yep. 2 dolls I made in collage. An "I was born at home" T-shirt that was mine as a baby. A Moby wrap from when I was a nanny/postpartum doula. Lots and lots of really good picture books from my childhood. A few other childhood toys . . .

3. Favorite food?
I love food, too. Favorite really depends on the day, though. I like variety and can't imagine having only one favorite.

Can't remember exactly--I was doing research on birth options and found my way here.

I was an art major in collage.

Neuromancer: I love audio books. Working in a recording studio sounds really cool.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Cake View Post
Yep. 2 dolls I made in collage. An "I was born at home" T-shirt that was mine as a baby. A Moby wrap from when I was a nanny/postpartum doula. Lots and lots of really good picture books from my childhood. A few other childhood toys . . .
You reminded me that I also have a large collection of children's books. But I have been collecting those for years, before I ever knew I wanted to have a child.

Quote:
Neuromancer: I love audio books. Working in a recording studio sounds really cool.
It's a good job. I appreciate the relaxed atmosphere, and if I get to work with a really good narrator on a really good book, it's a special treat. If only it paid more! But isn't that often the case with good, relaxed jobs?!

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:23 PM

I think I posted in this tribe a year or so ago, but I haven't in a while. I'm 22, (23 soon, eek!) and my boyfriend and I want babies like crazy. But since we still can't even pay our own rent yet, it's definitely going to have to wait. We want an entire army, so we're planning on a minimum of 4 kids, And we're going to start trying probably in about a year.

I think I'll jump right in and start answering these questions, because it looks like fun!

We have one cat. We got her as a kitten one year ago, and we've been tossing around names ever since.

Nope. I try to live my live clutter free, and keep only what I use regularly.

3. Favorite food?
I guess I can just go ahead and say anything Italian (except sea food). I love pastas, I love red sauces, and I love sweet peppers.
But the best meal I ever had was hamburgers on Texas Toast with corn on the cob, cooked in a cast iron skillet straight on top of a fire on top of a mountain in North Carolina.

My best friend got pregnant and spent all day on this forum two years ago. I was curious so I checked it out. Now she has a beautiful 16 month old baby girl (my goddaughter) who I consider the cutest funnest most awesome baby ever.

I'm an excellent hula hooper!

photosmile2.gifcavale treehugger.gif*wannabe radical doula*
*plotting with sammodifiedartist.gif until we have our own little ones*
planning to TTC in May '11 (just in time for my birthday!)
Old 03-28-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbledumpster View Post

Nope. I try to live my live clutter free, and keep only what I use regularly.
I'm trying to learn to do this, but I am a terrible pack-rat. Kudos to you!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:

3. Favorite food?
I guess I can just go ahead and say anything Italian (except sea food). I love pastas, I love red sauces, and I love sweet peppers.
But the best meal I ever had was hamburgers on Texas Toast with corn on the cob, cooked in a cast iron skillet straight on top of a fire on top of a mountain in North Carolina.

I'm an excellent hula hooper!

Wow. I'm drooling reading that food from the mountain you listed. Haha! Sounds amazing!!!! *slurp* lol

And that is definitely the most random fact I've heard!! Were you in lots of hula hoop contests and such? Can you only do it on your hips or arms or what?! Ha I'm so intrigued...

~Lisha
L.☮.♥.E.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to learn to do this, but I am a terrible pack-rat. Kudos to you!
Believe me, it's a work in progress always. I've always been a packrat too, (I think it's in my blood) but I was really inspired by some people I met who lived with nothing but what they could carry on their backs, so I gave away almost everything I owned. I still have a few unused things lying around, like clothes that I hope someday will fit, but everyday I try to remain mindful about my consumption, and what I hold onto. I hate to think I'm letting something collect dust when someone out there could be using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreelishy View Post
Wow. I'm drooling reading that food from the mountain you listed. Haha! Sounds amazing!!!! *slurp* lol

And that is definitely the most random fact I've heard!! Were you in lots of hula hoop contests and such? Can you only do it on your hips or arms or what?! Ha I'm so intrigued...
I saw a lady bewitching an entire drum circle with her hula hoop one day, and decided I had to learn how to do it. I can do it on my hips, legs, chest and neck, and transition between as well as a few tricks. I taught myself entirely using nothing but youtube videos! I was getting really fit until I broke my foot, and I'm only just now getting back into the groove of things.

photosmile2.gifcavale treehugger.gif*wannabe radical doula*
*plotting with sammodifiedartist.gif until we have our own little ones*
planning to TTC in May '11 (just in time for my birthday!)
Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:

I saw a lady bewitching an entire drum circle with her hula hoop one day, and decided I had to learn how to do it. I can do it on my hips, legs, chest and neck, and transition between as well as a few tricks. I taught myself entirely using nothing but youtube videos! I was getting really fit until I broke my foot, and I'm only just now getting back into the groove of things.

Haha! That is so awesome!!

~Lisha
L.☮.♥.E.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:

i've been wanting to do this for awhile now i started learning but now i dont have internet an my hoop is gone but i do want to again soon
Old 04-01-2010, 06:02 PM

i've been having full blown baby lust lately, to the point its getting annoying i don't even have a serious boyfriend at the moment. i get super paranoid about getting pregnant everytime i have sex which is why me and the guy i've been seeing had a conversation about what we would do if it happened. which made my baby lust come out even more... grrrrrrrr its so frustrating.. rant end
Old 04-01-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
Old 04-02-2010, 03:39 PM

My baby lust is pretty bad this time, too. It's bad enough that I not only popped down to Jillian's Drawers to pick up a sample of Charlie's Soap to try out now (still 2+ years away from even starting to TTC), but I also tried one of the Flip diapers I picked up on one of my cats (no tail on him, so no tail to deal with). Yes, there's even photographic evidence of that one.

RN (34), a bit of a treehugger.gif, fur mama to 3 cat.gif and 1 horse,with a wonderful, artistic hubby (41), married since 2004.

Mama to D.G., born 9/19/12 at 32w4d, who happily fly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfambedsingle1.gifcd.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gif 

User Tag List