Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Finding Your Tribe (http://www.mothering.com/forum/7-finding-your-tribe/)
-   -   burning man mommas (http://www.mothering.com/forum/7-finding-your-tribe/1183768-burning-man-mommas.html)

um_hanna 01-14-2010 05:26 PM

Im going this year, cant wait. lets share ideas and make sure we connect there what have you done etc. what do you do to prepare, to share with everyone etc. What must you bring or ? namaste!
Heather

hippieshelly 01-17-2010 10:10 AM

I'm not planning on going this year, and I don't have any specific plans for going in the future, but it has been something DH and I have dreamed of experiencing someday.

I'm curious to hear more about it.

Laggie 01-21-2010 01:11 AM

Not yet in the mama club... but definitely in the burner club. However I don't know if we'll make it this year. I've been going since 2000 although I skipped 2 years. Whatever you want to know, ask away! Although I can't give a ton of kid related advice...

~adorkable~ 01-25-2010 06:07 PM

been going to the Playa since 1998 and working there since 2000. It is really my other home in so many ways. The first and most important advice i give everyone is to g oto the http://burningman.com/ website and right at the top it has a bunk of great link to learn about life out there and what to bring and expect.

if you have kids and want to bring them it is a big thing to think about, it can go either way real fast with little ones. there is a village of just families (kidsville) that seems amazing and there is ways to do it right. that being said, most folks i know let that week be the kids week with the grandparents or something.

please read around the Burningman site and then feel free to ask any particular questions.

salt_phoenix 01-27-2010 02:52 PM

I've been many times, dh & I were married there in 2006!
I've been there pregnant, I've been there with my tween & infant.
I fully endorse this product!

hippieshelly 01-29-2010 08:54 AM

could someone who has been there please tell me about the public nudity? I hear a lot about it, but part of me wonders if it is being blown out of proportion. Will I be uncomfortable with my 12 and 13 year olds? (Not sure I want to bring them in the first place, but I'm considering all options.)

~adorkable~ 01-30-2010 05:30 AM

if you are at all bothered by public nudity or dont want to have your kids see that, burningman in not the place for you.
its not that there is tons of it, but it is also impossible to avoid in any way what so ever. and i personally, when talking about teenage kids, would be more attentive to the fact there is a lot of sexually charged atmosphere. (nudity is often not the issue and also not needed for something to be very sexual)

I think it is pretty respectful most of the time, but if you have a thin skin for that sort of stuff, it is not the place to be. Burningman is very much about no holds bar expressing what you are thinking and what you want to be, and peoples inner most thoughts are often not for the squeemish.

here is my personal thoughts about bringing kids, take it or leave it:

babies should not be there, and that would include any child that is not fully able to follow basic directions, talk about how they feel mentally and physically and deal with a pretty input overloaded and mentally stressful environment. (incidentally we have banned doges for the this same issue and our love and concern for them)

what this age is will be quite different for different folks. but small babies can not regulate their body temps properly and dehydration is too life threatening for them. is 3 old enough? for some yes, for others it may be 4 or older. I have met 4-6 year olds that thought the playa was the best place on earth and dealt with it very very well.

then there is a second age range that is a concern again and again this varies a lot! it is when they are old enough that they want to run around without you and too young to make smart safe choices in a very brutal and enticing "fend for yourself" party land. whether those choices are about if they have had enough water or rest or if they are about the smarts to not eat something that they shouldn't. and at this age sex and that "sexually charged atmosphere" also comes in to play.

i do not think i would bring the average pre teen or young teenager. on the safe end of the spectrum i would say even that the ages of 11 and 18 could be touchy depending on a lot of factors.

now all this being said, i include the disclaimer that this all depends hugely on what the parents are like and what type of burningman experience they want or are capable of having. if you bring a child, of any age, your whole burn is going to be about them, or it should be. they are not allowed there without you (or some guardian adult) and they WILL need you to help them understand and survive an incredible and incredibly hazardous wonderland.
normally fully functioning adults can loose it when exposed to all the playa has to offer, so make sure you are not going to be one of them (kinda hard to ever know if you haven't been there and even if you have) and make a thoughtful decision as to how you would deal with it if your child was one of those that do have a bad time (or an inappropriately good time!)

anyway that is a lot to digest, sorry if i was rambling, i have thought a lot about it and have been around a both very good family experiences there and very very bad ones. as a veteran participant that is working on starting my family i have thought a lot on what choices i will make. i do what my kids to go there some day, but within the ages i outlined above, probably for a just a few years or maybe just once and probably between the ages of 5 and 10. outside of those years, i will do what many do, consider it a rare adult holiday treat and give my wonderful mom and my kids a week with each other.

salt_phoenix 01-31-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
all depends hugely on what the parents are like and what type of burningman experience they want or are capable of having. if you bring a child, of any age, your whole burn is going to be about them, or it should be.
Definitely This.

When we take the kids, we only have one "night out" each while the other is with the kids. The entire rest of the week, day and night, is spent tending, hydrating, feeding, monitoring, educating, freshening, consoling, playing with, showing things to, keeping sand out of, sun off of, machinery away from the kids. It's more work than even being a SAHM is, for sure. That's what burning man is, it intensifies EVERYTHING. So if you want the most intense experience you ever had WITH YOUR KIDS, then bring them, but remember it will be intense for them too. For me, it really showed me what is important in my life; that is, my kids & experiencing an interesting and diverse life with them, giving them alternative cultures to choose from instead of the dominant one, creativity with few limits, survival skills... I had already done the burning man party tour without kids, so I knew what that was about. If you are there for the legendary "burning man party", DON'T BRING THE KIDS.

It really does depend on the kids & family. We live in the desert and camp in the desert all the time, so that part was easy. We are at home in the desert. It's the huge-ness and busy-ness of it all that I think you really need to be on your toes to keep track of your kids safely AND enjoy burning man at the same time. A challenge, to be sure, but know that it can be done.

It's not a place for an occasional or reluctant camper, unless they have a babysitter, which goes against one of the things burning man is about anyway: self-reliance. It really is an extreme place, in every way. If you like to push yourself, you will find something at BM. It isn't for everyone, but it's hard for me not to HIGHLY ENDORSE THIS PRODUCT!

salt_phoenix 01-31-2010 01:26 PM

quick add:
we also don't get to see nearly as much stuff there by keeping the kids comfortable. We don't venture out nearly as often, nearly as far, or for nearly as long, so you really "miss" a lot. We spent a lot of time at "home" at burning man, socializing with neighbors, to be sure, but be sure you like your neighbors! (best you can-don't camp next to the orgy camp, maybe camp in or near kidsville)
Your children will see nudity. They will not (most likely) see people "doing it" on the street. They MIGHT see art, or drama DEPICTING people "doing it". It can be very confusing for children. It can be very confusing for adults.

eilonwy 04-02-2010 09:36 AM

One of these years, I will find myself on the Playa. Until then, I will lurk on this thread.

PreggieUBA2C 04-12-2010 10:30 PM

Me too.

adinal 05-23-2010 06:49 PM

Lurking as well. Somehow this just really and fully entered my consciousness, and I have been reading a ton about it. I know that for me, and my anxiety, this won't happen with my kiddo until she is much older - say 10 years from now. It is interesting to think about going with just DH prior to that. Lot os money and planning though, so for now, I will learn.

FarrenSquare 07-03-2010 02:56 AM

Burner Momma-to-be here! I totally agree with salt_phoenix and adorkable - very well said!

I love burning man, everything it has to offer. But my partner and I will either be leaving kiddo with the grandparents, or spending the entire burn showing them what this crazy world really has to offer. I can really see the benefits in taking a five year old (depending on physical, mental, emotional capabilities) to the burn, but the oldest I would bring is 11. I just think that the art, the people, the experience would be so powerful and moving, and I would love to share that with my little one.

One of my most favorite camp mates, known as Reno Mom for her ability to produce fresh grapes & watermelon late in the week and having EVERY supply you could ever think of possibly needing, brings her teens to burning man. Her daughter seems to get caught up in the sexuality and her son in the art. go figure. Her kids, her choices! My teens... will come to burning man when they can afford to foot their own bill to get there, hahaha.

I have to ask though, does anyone here have real experience taking children to burning man?? What is the decompression like for them?

lalemma 08-25-2010 02:43 AM

Bumping! Anyone headed out this year?

This is definitely not on the agenda for us this year or for a few years to come, but I'm wondering if anyone's about to make the trek with kids.

Shall1105 08-27-2010 01:27 PM

Im a burner mama! Im definitely taking the kiddos when they get a little older. No big burn for me this year but Im a member of several regional groups. Headed out to a regional in KS in 2 weeks (sans kids).

Anyone a member of any regional burner groups?

FarrenSquare 08-28-2010 08:51 PM

I'm not going to the burn this year, either. Too pregnant! DP and I are aiming for 2012, but we'll just have to play it by ear. It is kind of weird not going this year, this is the first time I've missed a burn since I started going. Watching all my friends pack up and leave and all the virgins get excited about their new adventure is so wonderful! I am so excited at the potential these last few days before gates open hold for them.

I belong to my Regional Group. We had our regional burn in June, and I'll probably be going to the Decompression if it happens before I get too pregnant!

revolting 09-15-2010 08:21 AM

Which of the regional Burns are easier to do with kids? We're thinking about doing one of these next year (2011). I think our family would do better with a less harsh environment, and the cheaper price and shorter time make it easier to take the risk of having to bail because of the kids more palatable, too.

Laggie 09-16-2010 02:27 PM

Probably whichever is closest to you would be a good choice? I'm not familiar with the Chicago area burns but a good start would be to get on the email list(s) for your area, meet some locals with kids and go from there.

I would start here:
http://burningmanchicago.ning.com/page/connect-1

Sorry if you've already done this, often people don't know how to get connected with the Burner community in their area. Some people go to the big burn first and then meet other burners close to home, other people start by coming out to potlucks and such and gradually work their way up to going to events.

Alenushka 03-24-2011 09:26 PM

I agree with you on all the points your made

Alenushka 03-24-2011 09:28 PM

Kidsville is great. I do not bring my kids so I stay the hell away from it except when I visit my friends. It is a very different experience if you bring kids. Not better or worse just different

PlayaMama 03-24-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

Kidsville is great. I do not bring my kids so I stay the hell away from it except when I visit my friends. It is a very different experience if you bring kids. Not better or worse just different

i do not think that kidsville is great and would not recommend camping with them.

the best places that i found with kids was small random local neighbors or friends that happened to have kids too.

revolting 03-25-2011 05:20 AM

Not going to Playa (just not doable for us with a one year old and a four year old), but we are planning on going to a regional burn this summer. Definitely looking forward!

PlayaMama 03-25-2011 11:16 AM

i've found regionals to be pretty awesome and much more kid friendly (unless you count the one in SLC that didn't allow them). have a great time!

i took my kids every year from birth until my oldest was five but we had a pretty unique situation out there (and lived really close by) so it was definitely easier.

Alenushka 03-26-2011 01:12 PM

We can agree to disagree. My friends love it and seem very happy

Laur318 03-27-2011 09:50 AM

we're looking forward to the regional (CT) burning man this year

revolting 03-27-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laur318 View Post

we're looking forward to the regional (CT) burning man this year

Too bad we're not going to the same one. Any other MDC mamas going to the one in Michigan?

starling&diesel 03-27-2011 01:52 PM

I've been to BM several times as a volunteer paramedic.  When I got pregnant, I figured I'd put the burn on hold while dd is small.  I don't think I'd bring a child under five.  Like other folks have said, it's hard to manage your own hydration, exhaustion and sensory stimulation, nevermind doing the same for your child too.  One of the biggest concerns I have would be the sand storms.  Those are harsh! 

I think it's about the personalities of the children too.  My dd is very sensitive and easily-overwhelmed, so I doubt I'd bring her anytime soon.  However, when I was a child, I would've loved it! 

Burning Man is a life-altering experience, and I can't wait to go again. 

My plan is to wait until the children are old enough to stay with auntie for the week and then I'm heading straight back! 

I love being a paramedic at the Burn ... crazy calls and awesome vibes! 

Oh, and I would suggest that if you're at all tentative, try it sober!  I was sober the whole time, and it was mind-altering enough without the added juju of drugs or alcohol. 

And when they tell you to secure your tent with re-bar, they are saying so for very good reasons.  Your structure will blow away if it's not secured! 

And bring enough potable water!  And protein-rich foods!  And warm clothes for night time!  And a bike!  And wings!  And frilly underwear!  And things that light up!

Oh, and as for nudity ... tonnes of it.  Fabulous bodies everywhere!  Painted, costumed, nudie-nude, dancing bodies off all types.  I went with my mom one year and one of my favourite pictures is of her and her pendulous boobs all painted with glitter. 

Momsteader 03-27-2011 02:09 PM

Haven't been, but would love to go. My kiddos have experienced lots of nudity at festivals/beaches in other countries and really didn't seem to care/notice much at all (teen/tween ages). The only real comment they ever made on it was when after spending 3 or 4 days at a public beach where pretty much everyone from infant up to 6/7 was nude then older than that bottoms only no matter the sex, my then 10 yo said, "Hmm, swimsuits must be different here in Romania. I think they only sell bottoms." This was probably colored by the fact that I had bought a suit there and I was wearing only bottoms as well LOL

Personally when thinking about going, I'd not take younger kiddos and have not gone so far as I hesitate at what is the 'right' age for mine to go....and now I have a brand new one on the way, so on hold again for at least 2-3 years for nursing as I'd not take an infant/toddler.

PlayaMama 03-28-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

We can agree to disagree. My friends love it and seem very happy

i didn't think we were disagreeing?

----------------------

eta- i just re-read. i think we're disagreeing about kidsville?

two experiences that i had with kidsville really influenced the way that i look at it. the first was a couple having sex in their tent with an open door while their children played outside and being unwilling to change their behaviour when asked. this exposed not only their children but any other children in the vicinity to explicit sexual acts. this is considered child abuse.

the second was the time i followed a small child (maybe three?) for about twenty minutes before someone came out of the village to look for him. according my ranger friends, when i told them about this, all of the lost child reports come from kidsville. which, sure, there's a lot of kids there, but still, accidents with art cars happen every year. it's just like any other size-able city, you should keep an eye on your kids.

Alenushka 04-03-2011 09:15 PM

Well, I never stay there and i do not bring my kids to BM. I want time to myself so...

However, my friends described.a nice community there and no sexual incdent.

I am sure it all depends on the people  who stay there on particualr days