Mothering Forum banner

NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part 5

33K views 606 replies 20 participants last post by  TinyFrog 
#1 ·
See less See more
#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cking View Post
Josephine has discovered our Simpsons chess set, and it's her new favorite toy. She's learned all the character's names (just Simpsons family + Krusty) and asks to play with it every day. The other day we decided to show her an episode, so we watched the 20th anniversary show, and she learned another new word - Princess. Yikes. And today she started singing "Krusty the snowman".

I'm sorry C, but did you just say your not yet 2 year old watched the Simpsons? My mom (not terribly conservative) wouldn't let me watch it until I was 10!

#28 ·
Yep, i did. I'm not advocating for it or anything; it's not going to be a habit - she seemed more interested in the chess pieces.

And wait, were you under 10 when the Simpsons started? good lord, I feel old. well, not really, I think I was 12 or 13.

I don't know, my mom objected to everything on tv and movies when i was growing up. I'm not sure what effect it had on us, other than make me really hungry to see pop culture when I visited friends. (we didn't have cable or a vcr.) not that any of this has anything to do with toddlers and tv.

#29 ·
Quote:

Josephine has discovered our Simpsons chess set, and it's her new favorite toy. She's learned all the character's names (just Simpsons family + Krusty) and asks to play with it every day. The other day we decided to show her an episode, so we watched the 20th anniversary show, and she learned another new word - Princess. Yikes. And today she started singing "Krusty the snowman".

Cking, I am so happy to hear that Maev is not the only one who knows the Simpson's characters! It's one of dh's favorite shows, and she has seen it quite a few times. I was just telling dh the other day though that I don't think we should watch it anymore when she's awake as she;s paying more attention to the words now.

#30 ·
zoe I know what you mean about that 'lightning in a bottle' thing. I am planning on having more children, but right after Westley was born I just kept wondering how another pregnancy and birth were ever going to be as awesome as the first time. Especially because I can feel the differences in my body now and the one I had before pregnancy.

On that, did anyone have an achy pelvic floor post partum? Westley is almost 6 months, and if I'm on my feet for any more than hour or two my pelvic floor just starts to ache (it gets achy 3 times faster if I'm wearing him, though my new woven wrap is a lot better). It's the same feeling I used to get when I was on my period. I should probably be better about doing my kegels, but I really thought I'd feel recovered by now. It definitely has improved over time, the few weeks following the birth I could only stand for 15 minutes. It really caught me off guard, I was a little achy there late in pregnancy, but I had no incontinence problems or any of that. I did have a sort of long pushing phase (2.5 hours) I often wonder if I damaged things then.

#31 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
On that, did anyone have an achy pelvic floor post partum? Westley is almost 6 months, and if I'm on my feet for any more than hour or two my pelvic floor just starts to ache (it gets achy 3 times faster if I'm wearing him, though my new woven wrap is a lot better). It's the same feeling I used to get when I was on my period. I should probably be better about doing my kegels, but I really thought I'd feel recovered by now. It definitely has improved over time, the few weeks following the birth I could only stand for 15 minutes. It really caught me off guard, I was a little achy there late in pregnancy, but I had no incontinence problems or any of that. I did have a sort of long pushing phase (2.5 hours) I often wonder if I damaged things then.
Mine was like that until about 6 weeks pp. I agree kegels would help, but i think i'd mention it to my dr/mw.

I somehow missed your last sentence. Ithink that makes sense with the longer pushing phase.

#32 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post

I had this but not after 6 weeks post-partum. I would see your healthcare provider. eta: I pushed for more than 2 hours. eta: my mw didn't think it was the pushing but rather the carrying the baby at the end of the term. i wen to 39 w, 1 day -- she was not an especially big baby, 7 lbs. even, but my mw said that was enough. also that with aging the tissue changes there, so some women have pelvic floor issues even if they never were pregnant. it shouldn't hurt though.

#33 ·
Angelorum, I continued to have achiness whenever I wore dd for a long time after the birth. It improved very quickly once I started getting serious about kegels (I bought an 'aid' for this
), which wasn't until 13 months pp. and then i got pregnant again. So I know this time I will work on it sooner.

#34 ·
Quote:

Yep, i did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maela View Post
Cking, I am so happy to hear that Maev is not the only one who knows the Simpson's characters!
Weird thing about this - a long time ago (maybe a year ago?), Fenton got up from his nap while DH and I were watching an Office episode on DVD. It was just at the theme song part, and he came down and said (before we knew he was there) "It's The Office". We had never. watched it. with him. Never talked about it, had only recently brought it up from the basement. The only thing I can guess is that I watched it so much while he was in utero that he learned it that way. It was very strange. My sister swears that Gabe recognized the Friends theme song when he was a little baby because she watched it so much while pg.

Goes to show it's never too early to get fanatical about what your children or fetus should be exposed to

#35 ·
i know that when it comes to my pelvic floor, i'm a bit of a freak. the yoga training makes you *very* aware of it, and so i can honestly say that my pelvic floor didn't feel normal until this past december--15 months after the birth.

of course, my normal and everyone else's normal is vastly different.

the ache lasted about a month, but it felt very loose and weak for a long time.

#37 ·
Sihaya!

I have talked to my midwife about the pelvic floor thing, her only suggestion was kegels. I did notice a big leap in strength when I started doing some light exersize, need to get back on that.

#43 ·
Thanks, everyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmama View Post
Congratulations Steph! Are you thrilled?
I wish. I want to be. Instead, I'm terrified. My temps do not look good and went back down below the coverline today. I'm not feeling any symptoms besides cramping and I'm just so scared it's a chemical or will be another early m/c (last baby was gone at 5 weeks and the progesterone I was taking probably only prolonged things). I'm only 12dpo today

Sorry to be a downer, I want this so badly but just don't feel like I can get attached yet

#49 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
hoping for the best, Sihaya.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Shanna~ View Post
Congratulations Sihaya - I'm wishing you peace

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i'll burn intentions for you today, S. i'm doing it for myself anyway. I do it for all you TTCers btw, so don't feel all jealous.

Thank you all
ZB, thank you so much. I really appreciate it!

I did something I swore I wouldn't do and got my blood drawn today to check HCG and progesterone levels. Going in on Friday for the second draw. DH is upset that I'm being so interventionist
I have no idea what I'm going to do with the results, I just felt strongly that I needed to do the tests. I feel calmer already even though I won't have results back for a while.

zoebird - Awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.