33K views 606 replies 20 participants last post by  TinyFrog 
#1 ·
See less See more
#277 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. We can both be immature then

Oh good!

Dd is going to be spending two nights away from us with Dh's family in Santa Cruz this weekend. I know she's going to be fine and she'll really enjoy it, but I'm going to have a hard time; I just know it. I have a hard enough time when she spends the night with her grandparents once a month. She's very attached to her Papa and she's very excited about it, so I need to be brave...

We're not going because, frankly, Ds is a drag on trips. He doesn't like the car or restaurants. He's too young for sunscreen (IMO) and he can't ride on any boardwalk rides. dh and I decided we wouldn't really have any fun bringing him, but we didn't want to stop Dd from having fun.

We will be going to North Carolina and Georgia in June with Dh's family. I'm hoping he does well on the plane, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'm hoping I can distract him with some food by then. He'll be 8.5 months. He doesn't nurse for comfort or out of boredom, so we'll see how it goes... That'll be too much fun to pass on though. It should be worth it. Oh, also we'll be seeing our niece for the first time!

#278 ·
Congrats piepie!!

MMM: Glad the little man is getting better!

Attaching to DH: Kai only really started really enjoying time alone with DH once he was 2. He was fine with him if I was nearby but he would always get nervous if I was out of sight. By 2 1/2 he even started letting DH put him to bed without me. I don't know why it took so long, I was way laid back and encouraging both of them. It wasn't like I was insinuating that DH was incompetant. I was always the one saying "No, Papa's good at playing with/feeding/snuggling/changing you too. Papa can do it!" I'm just glad they're buddies now!

#280 ·
for you Maela I also missed cheese a lot when I had to cut it out. Now we're looking at possibly needing to cut dairy for dh, so I may have to go back to making dairy free dinners again
. At least I can eat it myself for lunch though!

Westley stayed with dh yesterday when I went in for my annual woman exam. I had to wait for quite a long time, and was gone for a total of 2 hours. Dh said he was doing really well at first, until he bonked his head and I wasn't there to nurse him. Dh took him to the park to distract him, and while he was a little fussy, overall it wasn't bad.

#281 ·
so, ryan's out on another man-date. men are so funny, they seem to make friend's easily. i've been doing ok here, slowly meeting different women and families with whom i really get along.

we got into the steiner play group! i'm so excited to start--it's next week on thursday! this weekend, we are going to try the bus up there and walk back and see how far it is. if i can walk it both ways, i will--but the hill is pretty daunting. even though my pants are completely falling off these days, i find myself competely winded on these hills with the kid on my back!

so, i might bus there and walk back, yk?

but, i'm psyched to meet more steiner-inspired families.

also, we are planning out our thanksgiving for late may. making out the guest list and planning the food. so, psyched about that.

#282 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
so, ryan's out on another man-date. men are so funny, they seem to make friend's easily. i've been doing ok here, slowly meeting different women and families with whom i really get along.

we got into the steiner play group! i'm so excited to start--it's next week on thursday! this weekend, we are going to try the bus up there and walk back and see how far it is. if i can walk it both ways, i will--but the hill is pretty daunting. even though my pants are completely falling off these days, i find myself competely winded on these hills with the kid on my back!

so, i might bus there and walk back, yk?
but, i'm psyched to meet more steiner-inspired families.

also, we are planning out our thanksgiving for late may. making out the guest list and planning the food. so, psyched about that.

I wish I could make friends easily. I have one friend from high school who has just moved back in the area who is a SAHM and parents pretty similarly. We're not really that close anymore, but we've had a few "playdates" and hopefully things will continue to go well. I have a couple of other closer friends who don't parent as much the same as me and they WOHM. Which is fine, but I really need some friends that I can get together with during the day. I really need to try to get together with some of the LLL moms that I know outside of the meetings, but I'm too shy.

I'm glad to hear you got into your playgroup ZB!

#283 ·
Making like minded Mama friends can be really tough. Making Mama friends at all is tough. I really had to learn to be brave and put myself out there. It was worth it, I've got a lovely bunch of friends now and I seem to be making more and more. Maela, I highly recommend inviting LLL Mama's over for coffee or playdates. I've got a couple of great friends now from being brave and doing exactly that.

Zoebird - glad to hear that you're getting on with it in NZ and that everything seems to be moving forward. Remind me, are you planning to home school / unschool with Steiner inspiration or are you planning to Steiner educate?

#284 ·
So much wonderful stuff going on here folks - I should be studying so will keep this brief...

I have my first student doula client...and she's due next week! I'm sooooooo excited and very very nervous. She's a friend of a friend and coincidentally an old neighbour of ours so while the lead time hasn't been long, we have known each other for a long time and have a lovely rapport. It's a midwife led hospital birth and she wishes for no intervention so I feel like it will be a good birth for me to start with if it goes to plan.

Birthing from Within are coming to Melbourne in September. This is the first time they've been to Australia and although we're broke I was $420 in birthday money this year which is exactly what it costs!!! I'm booked in to do their 3 day workshop! Can you believe how lucky I am? This is an amazing year for me.

And Sebby is sleeping! Waking 1, 2 or 3 times a night but sleeping really decent chunks. I'm off to the homeopath tomorrow so that I can learn to sleep again. I've been waking up at 2 or 3 and lying there for hours!

And we start TTC #2 next month! Eeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much positive and life affirming stuff. I'm so busy but so inspired.

It's been quiet here. Would love to hear how others are going. xox

#285 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post

And we start TTC #2 next month! Eeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!!

! I had no idea it was this soon.

I am still pregnant, I think. No blood tests or anything: I feel like that would tell me I was pregnant as of then but who knows what's next? I have had waves of severe nausea -- 12 hours of vomiting -- and waves of bad but functional nausea, like right now (at work, but was VERY late, without explanation, for like the millionth time this month), and waves of no nausea which I never had with DD. So I am cautiously optimistic. Not really counting it as a thing until I hear the external heartbeat -- MW's appt scheduled for 2 weeks from today. Am 8 w, 1 d, for those of you keeping score at home. I am planning on not disclosing unless confronted about nausea or hear external heartbeat, whichever comes first. Then the interest in disclosing would be to request an accommodation of working from home one day a week. Also very tired, very low energy. Having more downtime at home with DD is fun for me. Yesterday she spent a long time just combing my hair. Way too fat to wear any pants without elastic waistband comfortably. No bump, just fat. Need to request maternity pants but they are in storage at parents' place and haven't disclosed to them. Eating tons.

#286 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiePie View Post

I am still pregnant, I think. No blood tests or anything: I feel like that would tell me I was pregnant as of then but who knows what's next? I have had waves of severe nausea -- 12 hours of vomiting -- and waves of bad but functional nausea, like right now (at work, but was VERY late, without explanation, for like the millionth time this month), and waves of no nausea which I never had with DD. So I am cautiously optimistic. Not really counting it as a thing until I hear the external heartbeat -- MW's appt scheduled for 2 weeks from today. Am 8 w, 1 d, for those of you keeping score at home. I am planning on not disclosing unless confronted about nausea or hear external heartbeat, whichever comes first. Then the interest in disclosing would be to request an accommodation of working from home one day a week. Also very tired, very low energy. Having more downtime at home with DD is fun for me. Yesterday she spent a long time just combing my hair. Way too fat to wear any pants without elastic waistband comfortably. No bump, just fat. Need to request maternity pants but they are in storage at parents' place and haven't disclosed to them. Eating tons.
Sounds exactly like 1st tri to me (for me anyway)! Times when I felt so sick, other times with no nausea at all (and of course I freaked out about it), just looking and feeling fat and exhausted. It seems to me like your pg.

I'll be thinking about you in the next couple of weeks and sending you sticky baby vibes.

#287 ·
MMM, Yay! I'm glad things are going so well for you!

Dh said the other day, "Why can't babies just come out at this age?" Ever since turning 6 months Jaim has been a fun, easy-going baby. We're loving it! He leans toward and kind of reaches out to whoever he wants to hold him. He'll play a game of reaching to someone and then when they're holding him he'll reach out to the first person, switching back and forth like that. I think he likes knowing he has all that control
The other day he made the "dada" sound. Not really referring to dh, but dh was still excited about it of course. Jaim is still not quite sitting up on his own. He can sit for ~10 seconds unassisted when he has a cloth diaper on. I think he'll be scooting/crawling sometime in May. He's so close!

Maev is wanting to do everything herself. Go to the bathroom (I make her let me wipe if she goes poop), put on her shoes, etc. She can finally reach our lightswitches, and she's really proud that she can turn the light onall by herself. Actually she's just tall enough to turn them on, but not off.
So I hold up Jaim and he turns them off. He's getting pretty good. What's difficult with Maev right now is that she is SO whiny! EVERYTHING makes her mad/sad. I'm really trying to be patient, but the whining grates on my nerves. She is so lovable though! She's learned how to make the 'I love you' sign with her hands, and I use that to show her that I'm still thinking about her when I'm trying to put Jaim to sleep. Often she'll see me do that, she'll make the sign back at me and then she'll go quietly and happily off to play.

#288 ·
mmm:

we are on the fence about educating vs home/unschooling with a steiner influence. i lean more toward the unschooling side of things, though, because i don't think i want too didactic of an experience for him.

i think the playgroup, and perhaps kindy a day or two a week when he gets to be the right age (3 is usually the right age here)--but that's only if i feel he's ready for a kindy environment. i might also volunteer at the kindy while he is there.

does that mean i'm being a control freak?

anyway, i can't decide which way i want to go, but the steiner school has a homeschooling community, so i can connect through them.

i can't believe you are getting ready for number 2! that's wild. seems like only yesterday that Sebby was born! awesome!

Piepie:

the sickness doesn't sound like fun, but i do hope that you are pregnant because you have those symptoms. it would not be fun to have them and not be pregnant.

fingers crossed for you!

#289 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
Re TTC #2 - I'm starting to think seriously about waiting until the end of the year now. This is such a big year and I'm really loving my recent taste of autonomy and the possibility of earning some dollars sooner rather than later...but by the same token, I'm pretty keen to get this baby thing out of the way...I know that the further away I get from it, the more reluctant I will be to go back there but I really want at least 2 kids.

How do you make these grown up decisions? What do you folks think?

PiePie - sounds like you're moving in the right direction. Thinking of you!

#290 ·
Quote:

Re TTC #2 - I'm starting to think seriously about waiting until the end of the year now. This is such a big year and I'm really loving my recent taste of autonomy and the possibility of earning some dollars sooner rather than later...but by the same token, I'm pretty keen to get this baby thing out of the way...I know that the further away I get from it, the more reluctant I will be to go back there but I really want at least 2 kids.

How do you make these grown up decisions? What do you folks think?

PiePie - sounds like you're moving in the right direction. Thinking of you!
Well, for me, like you said I wanted to just get it done and over with. Some people are great with pg and babies but I'm not. So I don't really feel like I'm "getting on with my life" until I my kids are at least toddlers. I know that sounds horrible; I just kind of feel like my life is put on hold right now while I make sure this little one makes it to a year with lots of attention and love. Not that I stop parenting at a year, it just becomes more natural and fun for me. So I would want to have my babies sooner rather than putting it off.

I hope that didn't sound terrible. I didn't mean it that way.

#291 ·
I don't think it's terrible. Little babies are tons of work and exhausting. Not that toddlers aren't those things, but at least they're more interactive.

We're taking a daycation and then heading to see the in-laws tomorrow. We spend almost all of our free weekends with them, and we need to not do that just once. So we're getting a hotel room tomorrow night, and then spending the next day in a nice town in Western MA before we head down to NJ.

Still nothing on the job I applied for, which is frustrating. But I am having some success with eliminating grains in my diet. I feel better and have lost some weight, finally. I'd like to lose another 20, if not 30, but I'll take the 5 as a good start.

#293 ·
Alice, that would be cool, but we're not going quite so far as you this time (only to Northampton and perhaps a pitstop to Wilbraham to visit family before we hop down 91). HOWEVER, I do want to get out there at some point, so I'll definitely take you up on that. Thanks!!

#296 ·
Maela, I'm still terrible about keeping the floors clearer. A work in progress, I guess.

We're starting on nightweaning, finally. I had been reluctant, but I think it's time. Last night went really well. I nursed her while she was getting her last bedtime story, and she popped off herself in the middle of it, and then found a cuddly spot for herself, and went off to sleep without any further ado. She did wake up around 4AM, I think, for a topoff, because she wasn't responding to anything else, but just not nursing her until she falls asleep is a plus for me.

And while I didn't get the job I interviewed for, DH is being interviewed next week for the job he really really wants. I hope I hope I hope I hope!

#297 ·
i hope the job interview goes well; i'm sorry that you din't get the job you wanted.

business here is going great. as of monday, it looks like i only have two half days and one full day to fill, with three people on the list to discuss possibilities. one does tui na and accupuncture (so it might be an issue with our current acupuncturist); one is does network spinal analysis (a form of energy-based chiropractic); and the other is a naturopath. i'd like all three. LOL

yoga should start up in June.

#298 ·
Quote:

How do you make these grown up decisions? What do you folks think
You're asking the wrong lady, here. Abby's just over 2yo and we're still hemming and hawing over whether to have #2 at all. I think we're about 90% yes right now.

But still 10% no because we're not looking forward to:
1) The baby phase. I much prefer parenting once they can walk.
2) Possibly having to give up even more of our individual time for our passions (me=writing, DH=homebrewing).
3) Sibling fights.

On the 90% side is:
1) Another unique little person to get to know and love and to watch grow up.

For timing, I know we need to do it soon before we lose our nerve. I know what you mean about getting the baby thing out of the way. And I'm only getting older every year that passes...

FYI: We're currently planning to start pre-TTC cleanse in July, then start TTC in October. So if we get super lucky right off the bat, Abby would be 3 when new baby is born.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maela View Post
He's scooting on his tummy to get to toys now!
I'm going to try to be better about keeping the floor clean now.

Aw, it's so fun when they start getting mobile!

PiePie: I'm thinking of you!

witchygrrl:
I'm sorry about the job.
But congrats on starting the nightweaning process. It makes such a huge difference. I wish I had started it earlier, but we waited til Abby was already 2.

A question for y'all: We have these friends, a childless couple who plans to stay that way. They've invited us to stay with them this summer at their house in San Francisco. As you might imagine, it's a cozy (i.e. very small) house.

I really want to go, especially if we're going to be TTCing this fall because it'll be so much easier to travel with 1 DC instead of 2.

BUT my concern is how our friends will handle having a 2yo who throws about 1 tantrum a day and wants to inspect/unpack/pull out everything in sight. I would ask them how they feel, but I think 1) they would out of niceness say of course we should come, and 2) they don't know what it's really like to live with a 2yo.

What would you do? Would you go?

#299 ·
Child Spacing- We for sure want to have more than 1, probably more than 2, maybe even 4 or 5
. Right now I feel like my body needs a good space between kids. Westley is 9 months old now. I was hoping by 9 months I'd have full body function back (9 months to get hugely pregnant and 9 months to recover, right?) While my prepregnancy weight and size returned without trouble unfortunately I think my pelvic floor is still significantly weaker than it was pre-birth. I feel like if I don't fix it before getting pregnant again, there is no chance of having a pregnancy as comfortable as my first was. Over the last couple days I've taken note of how often I am unable to brace my pelvic floor properly when I'm lifting/carrying Westley or doing other things that cause strain on those muscles. It's pretty depressing. I hadn't had any stress incontinence for a long time, so I thought things were improving, then I went to a dance aerobics class and realized how much farther I've got to go. So, definitely recommiting to the kegels!

The 4 kids in my family are all around 3 years apart. I think it was a good amount of space. We were close enough in age to play with each other as kids, but not so close it put a big strain on my mother's body.

This probably is only because Westley was such a laid back little baby, but I find myself thinking that some things were much easier when he was teeny compared to now.

#300 ·
good news is that there is a heartbeat (and only 1 heartbeat) at 10 weeks.

bad news is i requested and got a very small accommodation for work due to hyperemesis and the first time i used it, yesterday, my boss jumped all over me. i cannot go through this pregnancy discrimination thing again, i just can't. i am trying to control my anxiety and see this as something less than the apocalypse but ua violation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.