Military Moms: May - June - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 517 Old 03-01-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to March and welcome to the newcomers!

I'm Katie, wife to Andrew who is an officer in the Army. We're at Fort Bragg until next year. We're originally from upstate NY. This is our last full month of deployment!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#2 of 517 Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 AM

subbing

we found out we should be here until June of next year, so that gives us a little more time than we thought originally. Apparently dh is staying right up until the base closes. He's also got a TDY coming up in May, for a month. He's been at home for nearly two years, so this will be a new experience for me and Robbie. BUT I think we've decided to go ahead and jump on the TTC wagon in April. Robbie was an oops pregnancy, so it's sorta exciting and different to plan this time around. Dh has already started talking about names!

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#3 of 517 Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 AM

subbing!

We're contemplating having MIL move in w/us. Does anyone know/know where I can find info on whether she would qualify for dependent benefits?

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#4 of 517 Old 03-01-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
subbing!

We're contemplating having MIL move in w/us. Does anyone know/know where I can find info on whether she would qualify for dependent benefits?
I have no idea where you can get that info, but my husband's grandma was a dependent of my FIL's for years and she lived with them, so I know it can be done.

Subbing to the new thread. We are 5 months into our deployment now. 3 months till R&R. I cannot believe it's March already!!

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#5 of 517 Old 03-01-2010, 02:10 PM

Subbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
I can't remember where you'd get that info. It can be done, though, because we looked into it for my father after my stepmom died. He refuses.

For us, money is really tight right now since we're having to pay for 2 households. Every budget I've figured out ends up being wrong and we end up short every month. What a PITA!

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#6 of 517 Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM

I'd go to JAG as well as DEERs. They can point you in the right direction. It can be done, but you have to prove that you provide for the majority of the person's needs. A GF of mine has had her mother as a dependent for the last 5 years or so. She just had to show that her mother didn't work and she provided her housing and food.
#7 of 517 Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 AM

Ft. Bragg here too! Sadly displaced New Englander. Probably here until 2016 or 2019, I forget which

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006
#8 of 517 Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 PM

Subbing!
At Fort Bragg, too! We should have an outdoor Fort Bragg playdate soon since we're starting to get some warm days here.

I'm Leslie. My dh has been AD Army for over 6 years. Only one year left until he gets out. His plan is to join the Reserves after that and reclass to a different MOS. I'm a SAHM for now, but I'm looking to rejoin the workforce after dh gets off active duty. We have one 4-year old son.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#9 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 02:07 PM

Hi there! It looks like I'l be joining you all soon. My DH is pursuing a military career. I'm not sure what he plans on doing, but he is looking at the Navy or Army. So, what is military life with kids like? Any info, the good and the bad, that you can give me would be appreciated!
#10 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 02:08 PM

And I am subbing!
#11 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 03:32 PM

Brand new to mothering, highly experienced in the military and subbing!

My hubby is an AF officer. We're currently "vacationing" in Newport, RI while he is at the Naval War College. Headed to Germany in June!
#12 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 03:33 PM

When I said brand new to mothering... I meant the forum! I have a six year old and a three year old!
#13 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome to you both!

Military life with kids is interesting. A lot of it depends on your outlook and coping skills. In can be difficult, you often play the role of both parents a lot of the time in the physical sense. You wear many different hats. As far as children are concerned, I think they can develop a lot of resilience and independence due to the uniqueness of the experience. They can learn to adapt quickly to change, not all do, but I think many can. As my DH puts it as a former Army brat, kids in the military are either really outgoing or they don't adapt well at all. You have the opportunity to move often, so new experiences are a plus. It really can go several different ways, not all of them good, but for us through the good and the bad I think we've learned to appreciate the small things and the importance of a close bond and togetherness.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#14 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 04:17 PM

I think the most important thing in the military life is to be flexible. Things can change in a moment and many times you have no choice or control so you have to accept it.

Have you all seen the Amber Alert for the Ft Bragg area? I think that's where it was. I couldn't hear the entire message.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#15 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I couldn't hear it either, it cut out in the middle. Thanks for reminding me, I'll see what I can find online.

#16 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7163775/

This was my old neighborhood I hope the poor girl is found quickly.

#17 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 05:00 PM

Well, at least for now, they don't think the girl is in danger. It's scary to think those women could get on and off the base to take the girl.

#18 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Getting on is very easy, I'm sure the dad didn't have reason to suspect they'd do something like that. All they have to do is show ID and have their car inspected. Hammond Hills is pretty close to several gates off post, and it really depends on who the witnesses called and how fast it got through to the correct people. I think we live under the veil of security but in reality we have just as much crime as anybody else, if not more. I do hope they find her quickly and that she is safe

#19 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 PM

You don't have to have a military sponsor and get a day pass to drive on base? You do here.

#20 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
You don't have to have a military sponsor and get a day pass to drive on base? You do here.
Nope, just have to have ID. I think there are 4 or 5 gates that you can go through as long as you have ID.

#21 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
Nope, just have to have ID. I think there are 4 or 5 gates that you can go through as long as you have ID.
Civilian or military ID? Now that you mention it, I remember thinking the security at the gate on the Army base in HI was less strict than at the Marine Corps base. All the Marine Corps bases I've been to require either a military ID or a military sponsor to get on base.

#22 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Civilian or military ID? Now that you mention it, I remember thinking the security at the gate on the Army base in HI was less strict than at the Marine Corps base. All the Marine Corps bases I've been to require either a military ID or a military sponsor to get on base.
Just a civilian ID and quick car inspection, they just have a different lane for them than those who have military ID and DoD stickers.

#23 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
Just a civilian ID and quick car inspection, they just have a different lane for them than those who have military ID and DoD stickers.
Oh, hm. Why would a non-military person want to come on the base if not to see a specific person? We have a beach here that they might like to visit but they still need a military sponsor to get there.

#24 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 PM

i have a non military friend who likes to use the walking track on base and take her kids to the playground. her hubby is a civilian who works on base though, so that may be part of the draw for them. *shrug*

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#25 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 PM

Yeah, I think if you are a civilian who works on base your family would have more access. My neighbor's dh works on base so they can shop at the Commissary and such. It's just scary that some random person could get on the base for no particular reason. I do think military bases should be more safe than the public communities.

#26 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Fort Bragg is pretty big, I'm sure there are many reasons why people go on post. You're right that it should be safer, unfortunate that things like this happen.

#27 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 PM

That's odd...when I went on Ft. Lewis in a vehicle w/out stickers, but w/military ID, a couple of years ago I had to get a temporary pass before going through the gate. I wonder if it's different b/c that was a few years ago or if each army base has different standards. Every USMC base I've ever been on has required an ID and stickers or a temporary pass.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#28 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

They may actually issue a temporary day pass, I don't really know what they do exactly but I do know all they require is an ID and quick car inspection. The whole things takes a minute or two and then they're on to the next car.

#29 of 517 Old 03-04-2010, 11:34 PM

No, I mean the temp pass where you have to go in w/insurance, registration, and military ID...usually w/a long line!

#30 of 517 Old 03-05-2010, 04:04 AM

It's very fast here in HI, too. Show your ID (military OR civilian), get waved through. There have been times I've left my purse by accident, had NO ID whatsoever, and been let on post, no questions asked. It's scary how lax security has gotten.

Oh, I suppose an intro would be nice - I'm Jen, wife to an Army officer, currently deployed. I'm in Hawaii with my 5 kiddos.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page