mamas on active duty - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
2xy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone here give birth while on active duty, either presently or in years past? It's been over 18 years since my oldest was born, and I'm still angry about my experience. It doesn't discolor my whole life or anything, but I desperately wish I could go back in time and redo things.

Regulations say that active duty members cannot refuse medical treatment. I was induced at 42 weeks, for no other reason than I was post-dates. I had plenty of amniotic fluid, was healthy, and baby was in no distress. What followed was a nightmarish labor and cesarean during which I lost half my blood volume (which wasn't replaced, for some reason).

Could I have refused the induction? Who knows?
#2 of 4 Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 AM

I had 4 kids while on AD. You can not refuse but you can have a reason to delay it, but to be honest most midwifes/doc will not let you go past 42 weeks much at all after 42 weeks you run other risk that are fast on set with no warnings.
I had an induction but called the ob the night with a fever, delayed it 3 days. Never had to prove I had a fever or anything.
I was trying to deny a test that was optional and after time the clinic called my command.
Although with more and more military hospitals closing their obs it is getting easier since your doc is civilian.

Michele, wife to my soul mate, hero and solider, momma to
K-03/98, B-01/00, D-03/02, M-09/03, TL-12/04, TM-09/06, I-10/08 edd 02/02/11
#3 of 4 Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience! I was 6.5 months pregnant when I got out, and had several close friends give birth while on active duty (this was a large reason why I chose to get out before giving birth). Could I ask which hospital you gave birth at? I would have given birth at Madigan on Fort Lewis, and was seen by their midwifery team while on active duty. My overall birth was a great experience, but I cannot say for sure if this would have been the case had I stayed active duty (I moved back to my childhood home and gave birth in Maine). Any friends I had who gave birth opted for epidurals and many wound up with c-sections, often from being induced between 40-42 weeks. A friend still on active duty was recently induced at 37 weeks (she said her bp was too high, induced and wound up with a c-section). There seemed to be a huge lack of continuity of care there.

I do know that it is not common practice to let a woman go past 42 weeks, but in my experience I could have gone to 43 weeks without being induced (NOT at a military hospital though).

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#4 of 4 Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 PM

I had 2 kids in korea on post(youngsan) after I got out, 1 at Offutt afb in NE while I was in , and 4 with a cilivan doc in AL(rucker had no ob) 3 of them while I was in.

Michele, wife to my soul mate, hero and solider, momma to
K-03/98, B-01/00, D-03/02, M-09/03, TL-12/04, TM-09/06, I-10/08 edd 02/02/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page