The 'unofficial' Unjobbing Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 253 Old 06-10-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lately I've been wishing there was a forum on Mothering for unjobbers to share their tips, support, encouragement, etc. However, the next best thing is a tribe. So here we go!

I've been inching closer to the unjobbing route ever since last fall when I became incredibly burnt out on our current work. We work at home building websites, designing graphics, etc, etc. And it just isn't what it should be. The things people expect us to do alongside what they pay us to do is a little ridiculous. It's been a discouragement. And instead of it being the fun that it used to be of us running our own business, working from home, etc it is a miserable burden. Having a "9-5" cubicle job wouldn't feel much different at this point. It has literally sucked the life from me.

We are moving towards having different sources of income instead of just the one so that we do not have to rely solely on it. For starters we're making stuff to sell and there is so much fulfillment in that. More than I've felt in years.

And the less money we need the more freedom we have/the less we are controlled. For years we've been fairly efficient when it comes to buying as many things second hand as possible, being resourceful, sparing our resources, etc. So we've already got that down pretty well and continue to improve upon it. We've also (finally) started a garden and I'm sure that will help too.

The quality time we again have to take care of/enjoy our own life instead of dealing with petty, meaningless problems has been very rewarding. It has had me thinking, "so this is what life was meant to be like". And even then I feel that we are still miles away from being close to what life was intended to be.
But we're getting there.

Does anyone else have an unjobbing story to share? I'd love to hear it.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#2 of 253 Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Well, I´m unjobbing but not very happy about it, I NEED a job.

I understand you and it´s great that you are looking for another way of making a living for you and your family. I never liked to be pressured on the job, I´m a massage therapist and have a dream of giving 3 or 4 therapies per morning, and the rest of the day for my son. I have a dream...!
#3 of 253 Old 06-11-2010, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paakbaak View Post
I´m a massage therapist and have a dream of giving 3 or 4 therapies per morning, and the rest of the day for my son. I have a dream...!
I know what you mean. I've had thoughts before like, 'if our work could just be like this or that things would be so much more simple and go so much better.' But it's never fit that way for some reason. *sigh*

What do you desire to be doing in life to earn an income? I notice that you said you need a job. Is being a massage therapist not working out?

#4 of 253 Old 06-11-2010, 11:03 AM

It´s not working as well as I thought it would. I don´t like spa, and that´s where I am now. My therapies...very few. Crisis, the city, me...who knows. But I´m looking for anything right now!
#5 of 253 Old 06-11-2010, 06:42 PM

what is unjobbing and how is it different than just being unemployed?

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#6 of 253 Old 06-11-2010, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreThanApplesauce View Post
what is unjobbing and how is it different than just being unemployed?
Usually, being unemployed means no earned income. Whereas with unjobbing there is income, but it is not through conventional means. It involves being creative and doing without. At least, that is how I think of it.

This article explains a bit better

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ice.html?cat=4

Quote:
Unjobbing is a method to sustain a chosen lifestyle without the primary means of sustaining that lifestyle being a sole occupation in exchange for wages. Unjobbing is a creative choice.

Here is an interview with Micheal Fogler that is really good.

http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/175/afogler.html

He has written a book about Unjobbing that is worth reading.

I'm fairly new to this concept myself. I had heard of it for a few years and wanted to check it out, but kept putting it aside.
A_Random_Phrase likes this.

#7 of 253 Old 06-12-2010, 07:57 PM

oh, interesting! TY for the links.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#8 of 253 Old 06-12-2010, 09:18 PM

great link, very interesting. thank you
#9 of 253 Old 06-13-2010, 04:33 AM
Banned

i think that unjobbing is simply making a living doing what you love.

i do this, and starting next week, so does my husband. i teach yoga and run a holistic health center with diverse practitioners. my husband is a writer, and while he helps with the center, his primary focus is screenwriting. he starts an assignment (writing a screenplay for a film) next week.

we are very conscious of how we spend, how we save, etc. we definitely consciously choose a lot of things (minimalism, etc in our lifestyle) when it comes to earning and spending money.

we feel that we are masters of our own lives and destiny here!
#10 of 253 Old 06-13-2010, 11:58 PM

ZOEBIRD...this is exactly what I want. I´m a massage therapist and I´m focusing on polarity, shiatsu and abhyanga. I+m also a yoga teacher for kids. I´m tired of working for others, there is never enough money nor time in my life. I hope to find my way.
Congrats!
#11 of 253 Old 06-16-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i think that unjobbing is simply making a living doing what you love.
Absolutely. Lately I've been searching for what I would love to do. Lots of things I like and enjoy doing, but I'm not exactly enthralled.

I feel apathetic some days. I was raised to think that doing things you don't want to do/things you don't like was a part of life (and most of society fully supports such views, so it was a fairly solidified viewpoint for me despite my heart never being in agreement.) So I think that one way or another those ignorant theories had an effect on many of the decisions I've made in my teenage/"adult" years. Forcing myself to do work and other things that I didn't want to do. As a result, I have had some mild depression/anxiety issues that started in my teenage years. But things are beginning to clear up considerably since I've started following my own path. Right now my focus is uncondition-ing myself from going against myself. And also bringing in money from things that I actually enjoy doing and that bring fulfillment. What a difference.

#12 of 253 Old 06-17-2010, 01:50 AM
Banned

i think part of the unconditioning process is the belief that many hold that one cannot make a living doing what one loves.

eg, my son loves hot air balloons right now. he's not even two, ok? but like, my MIL goes "hot air balloons! don't let him get too excited, he can't do that for a living!"

UHM, HE IS 2.

anyway, he can do it for a living, if he wants to. why not? goof balls.
#13 of 253 Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 PM
~D~

~Diana~ Mama to DD 13 blahblah.gif and DS 10 jumpers.gif

#14 of 253 Old 06-17-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
anyway, he can do it for a living, if he wants to. why not? goof balls.
Absolutely. That's one of the joys of having a passion in life.

#15 of 253 Old 06-17-2010, 05:13 PM

I want to be here...I'm not right now but it's definitely a philosophy and a lifestyle I like. I've read 'Your Money or Your Life' a few time and am working with a career coach right now on shifting careers. We are also considering downsizing from home ownership to renting a unit in a housing co-op so that we can afford to quit work & live our dreams more. But as the primary breadwinner for my wife and two little girls I am finding it a hard leap to make! I'll keep reading here and getting inspiration
#16 of 253 Old 06-24-2010, 02:17 PM

Heading in this direction and subscribing to this thread!
#17 of 253 Old 06-24-2010, 04:15 PM

mmmm hot air balloons...great idea!!!
#18 of 253 Old 06-25-2010, 01:56 PM

Well we just bought a new house near family and dh quit his job as a high school teacher to be a professional poker player. His paycheck and benefits do keep coming till the end of August, but after that we'll just be relying on poker. I may try to find part time work (computer programming) but maybe not... I think of it as unjobbing/living the idle life, but dh just thinks of it as he can make more $$ playing poker than teaching. Some people think we're crazy/stupid, but other's think its cool.

Laura - Mom to Selena 3/2007 and Allie 5/2009
#19 of 253 Old 06-26-2010, 12:40 PM

I happened to pick up a book about unjobbing a few years ago at a book sale, Living Without an Income? DH quit his job a year ago and we traveled for 7 months. It was tough finding odd jobs on the road. Seemed like the unemployed rate was very high everywhere we went. We're back home now and DH is staying busy for the most part. I'm trying to not freak out about the irregular income! He is a carpenter who can build anything, fix anything, haul and tow things, he scraps metal etc. I'm trying to come up with ideas for things I would like to make a little money at.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#20 of 253 Old 06-26-2010, 03:36 PM

love the unjobbing idea, don´t like the no-income idea, now with kids. When I was young, I worked in almost anything, any hours, any place, traveled, etc. but now with kids...it´s hard to keep your relaxed life without freaking out over school and medical bills!!!!

I keep searching...not too many people needing therapies lately...and no job in site. hard.
#21 of 253 Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 PM

thanks for the link to that awesome interview with michael fogler!

the hubster and i have unjobbed as long as we've known each other - 12 yrs now - although we never called it that. we've called it, at various times, 'throwing everything to the wall to see what sticks,' 'having multiple hustles,' and 'doing whatever we had to do so that we could hang out and work together all day.'

we're both artistic/creative people. between the two of us (and usually together) we have taught creative workshops and classes (dance, performance, poetry), DJed parties, temped, self-published books, made and sold handmade hair and body care products, worked at call centers, designed websites, written grants for nonprofit arts organizations, applied to arts contests and festivals.

there have been some SEVERELY lean years. like, lost our bkln apartment and lived with his mother lean. there have been some surprising successes. after a couple of years of hobby-level, weekly-grocery-money level success with the handmade hair and bodycare biz, it took off sharply in such a way that we looked up and it had become the bulk of what we each were doing. we were able to purchase a little house with a big yard in a fabulous neighborhood we love, but we were working 16 and 18 hour days sometimes to keep up with orders... it actually became overwhelming and extremely stressful and lost the fun and freedom we'd initially loved about it.

our first pregnancy forced the issue that we couldn't do this by ourselves anymore. we began hiring help, we moved the biz out of our home, and now we 'employ' enough other people that we are slowly moving back to our preferred unjobbing state. it's awesome.

i share my story for support and also as kind of a cautionary tale. . . so many of us start out fearing our initiative will fail; we don't have an infrastructure in place for its wild success.

blessing to all of us on this journey!!
#22 of 253 Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 PM

I love this Tribe. I haven't worked since my dd was born 5 years ago, but am currently in the early stage of looking for small income earning opportunities that allow me to maintain family as a priority. We just bought a house and, although we can meet our monthly financial requirements on one income, any additional income would pay for the "extras" such as a small vacation now and then. I used to be a management consultant and earned a good salary, but never felt good about what I was doing. I'm now able to look at jobs that interest me and seem meaningful and be less concerned with the amount earned.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#23 of 253 Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 PM

truly fascinating...

I suppose unjobbing is what I was doing a few years ago, as a single mom, living in a rental for the "cost" of making it habitable by humans (I think that cost far more in both labor and materials than rent would have), private tutoring students that I met subbing occasionally at public school, and many from the homeschool group as well. Just spending our LIVES together living life its own self rather than chase a paycheck... it was the most beautiful time in our lives...

My current ministry began that way, doing what we love, but has become incredibly demanding, and the rules have changed for homeschoolers, too-- not sure how it will work out for us long term, but the kids here have a big hook in my heart

I'd say we're here to stay, but I wouldn't call it unjobbing anymore. Nope, now it's a job!
#24 of 253 Old 06-28-2010, 08:26 PM

How does everyone else "unjob"?

A dear friend is always ttm about residual income and multiple income streams--- I ought to pay attention, but some of it seems scammy to me...
#25 of 253 Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 PM

I love the idea of unjobbing, never knew there was a name for it! I have coached gymnastics to all ages and infant motor skills classes since college and have always loved it but hated the demands and have tos of work. Now that i have my baby, tho, i'm just doing a couple classes a week and love it! Unfortunately, DH works for my bro occasionally and it's not making it, money wise but he can't find anything else.
Does anyone else ever feel guilty bc you know you can make more, but just think being a mom is more important? For instance, i'm the one with the degree, experience, and potential to make more, but he's the one that likes to work! I just can't imagine not being home w/my LO.
Also, we can't buy a house bc we have no proof of income, though it would be a lot cheaper to have a mortgage than our apt rent!

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#26 of 253 Old 07-16-2010, 12:59 AM
~D~

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyinmama View Post
thanks for the link to that awesome interview with michael fogler!

the hubster and i have unjobbed as long as we've known each other - 12 yrs now - although we never called it that. we've called it, at various times, 'throwing everything to the wall to see what sticks,' 'having multiple hustles,' and 'doing whatever we had to do so that we could hang out and work together all day.'

we're both artistic/creative people. between the two of us (and usually together) we have taught creative workshops and classes (dance, performance, poetry), DJed parties, temped, self-published books, made and sold handmade hair and body care products, worked at call centers, designed websites, written grants for nonprofit arts organizations, applied to arts contests and festivals.

there have been some SEVERELY lean years. like, lost our bkln apartment and lived with his mother lean. there have been some surprising successes. after a couple of years of hobby-level, weekly-grocery-money level success with the handmade hair and bodycare biz, it took off sharply in such a way that we looked up and it had become the bulk of what we each were doing. we were able to purchase a little house with a big yard in a fabulous neighborhood we love, but we were working 16 and 18 hour days sometimes to keep up with orders... it actually became overwhelming and extremely stressful and lost the fun and freedom we'd initially loved about it.

our first pregnancy forced the issue that we couldn't do this by ourselves anymore. we began hiring help, we moved the biz out of our home, and now we 'employ' enough other people that we are slowly moving back to our preferred unjobbing state. it's awesome.

i share my story for support and also as kind of a cautionary tale. . . so many of us start out fearing our initiative will fail; we don't have an infrastructure in place for its wild success.

blessing to all of us on this journey!!

Thanks for the encouraging post, oyinmama! Thank you also for the wonderful products! I my funk butter!

~Diana~ Mama to DD 13 blahblah.gif and DS 10 jumpers.gif

#27 of 253 Old 07-16-2010, 01:05 PM

I have always loved this idea. I'm looking at becoming a certified nutritional therapist and massage therapist. I would never work for a company doing this, I would try to be creative and start my own practice. I'm always open to the possibility of making money any way possible such as re-selling used goods, cleaning, etc.

I have so much anxiety when I'm working a high pressure job, I just can't keep healthy in that situation. So I hope to be able to do what I love, which is make people feel better.

Quote:
Well, I´m unjobbing but not very happy about it, I NEED a job.

I understand you and it´s great that you are looking for another way of making a living for you and your family. I never liked to be pressured on the job, I´m a massage therapist and have a dream of giving 3 or 4 therapies per morning, and the rest of the day for my son. I have a dream...!
paakbaak, I was just thinking that with your ability, you would probably make more on your own than working at a spa. But you have to be creative and find ways to get the word out about your services. I have a friend who makes a good living with massage and she doesn't even have a clinic. She takes her massage table to people's homes and does the therapy there. It works.
#28 of 253 Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 AM

I have been reading and really enjoying this thread so far. I believe I may fit here. My husband is going to quit his job and I am going to support us on the road (living in an RV) for several years, (however long we feel like it). It's not that I won't have a job, but it's my Intuitive Business that I do for myself in every way. I do it by my rules and the schedule I feel like setting up. We want to live on the road to have tons of experiences as a family, while at the same time I support us very well. So to me, unjobbing is not about being jobless, it's about supporting yourself in a way that fills you up, not done by anyone else's rules, or schedule, or making money for other people while you make next to nothing. Do I have it right?
Don't get me wrong, i work very hard. But I'm so passionate about my work and love what I do, it doesn't feel like work. And making my own schedule to optimize my time with my family is definitely the way to go for us. To know that I can work a few hours anytime I want to but then be enjoying a new museum with my kids, or whatever adventures each State has to offer sounds about right! Can't wait to get started!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#29 of 253 Old 07-21-2010, 06:20 AM
Banned

multiple income streams and passive income, absolutely good plans.

passive income is where you don't have to do a lot of work to make money. there is some work involved (until it grows big enough that you can hire a manager if you wanted, then it is fully passive, just with more overhead.

so, an example of passive income is what a friend of mine does. she owns an "apartment guide" franchise. she goes into an area where there isn't one, sets up the printer, the distribution sites, etc, and then gets the apartments to buy the advertising, and voila! income. sounds like a lot of work, right? but no! she hires an intern from the local university who is working in advertising/marketing. because the person ALSO gets college credit, she pays this person very little. So, this person does everything--all of the work M-F and she just manages this person (takes her, she says, about 5 hrs per week of management). Her income from this? $125k.

i'm in a similar situation. various practitioners rent time to use our space from us. our primary focus is actually just filling the time in the space. Fill the time in the space, and the income is passive. Overhead is covered, my fees for work are covered, and then there is the profit margin. We are nearing the black, but have only been in this business for 5 months. should be black by mid October; should be profitable by the end of the year (as it is looking now with new people coming on board).

it's passive because i'm not doing all of the yoga teaching, massaging, etc myself. the business itself supports us, and it becomes a passive income scheme that way.

insofar as diversifying, i believ ein a diverse economy. i teach yoga (regular classes) , private lessons, workshops (for everyone), and teacher training. i have to teach all of these myself, so this is "active" income. i also do thai massage, so that is also active income.

with our business, we plan on franchising eventually (within 3-5 years), and so that expands the income. we also want to start a free publication in our country (since one doesn't exist for NZ, but we will start with the planning just for our city), which would eventually create a second income stream like my friend's apartment guide.

my husband's active work will be screenwriting, but anything produced, he asks for a portion of the profits--so it creates a passive income there too.

anyway, just thoughts about it.
#30 of 253 Old 07-21-2010, 03:05 PM

My dh and I are creative types too, with a 3 yo dd and 4 mo ds. We have a goal in life to live as freely as possible, which means trying to live within our means (which is hard to do in our part of NJ in the NYC area) and think of our small "starter" house more like our long term home. We have one used, small car and try to live small in general, though we like to surround ourselves with things of beauty that inspire us. This can mean the flowers in our back yard, or art we make, or just interesting things we find. Filling our lives with things of beauty and quality makes it feel like we are living large even if we aren't.

Right now, I work with him developing iPhone games. If this takes off, it could be a beautiful thing. If not, we'll be back at the drawing board, so to speak. But I have no doubt we will achieve the goal, because we have it set in our minds to do so! I read once that achieving your dreams is about setting your ship coordinates and always keeping the steering wheel pointed in that direction. You might have to make lots of small adjustments along the way, but if you aim for your goal, you will achieve it in some way!

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page