Mothering Forum banner

Not Mama Yet Tribe Summer/Fall 2010

10K views 120 replies 29 participants last post by  oiseau 
#1 ·
Welcome to the Not Mamas... Yet Tribe, Part XXI (Summer/Fall 2010)

(Thanks Rico'sAlice for the text and Jenne for the previous thread sheparding!)

Iaorana! As-salaamu `alaykum! Merhaba! Γεια σου! Ãyubõván! Jambo! Hola! Boa tarde! Ciao! Guten Tag! Bonjour! Magandang Hapon Po! Selamat petang! Konnichiwa!

Hello! Returning members, glad you made it over, hope the trip wasn't too hard. Just put your feet up and relax for a while. We've got organic lemonade, coffee (regular and Swiss-water-process decaf), pastured raw milk, kombucha, kefir, whatever you're into. (No EBM available here- Sorry. Check out the Love Thread for that.)

Newbies! We are sooo excited you're here. We hope you stay a while and never leave... unless it is because you become a mama.

Anyway, this thread was originally started to give those of us who are not yet parents a forum here at MDC to discuss the unique concerns of those who are into NFL, and excited about AP but don't have any munchkins to apply these concepts to...yet. (Although some of us have furbabies, young family members, students, etc. that we are involved with.)

As I mentioned, a few of us have gotten pregnant while here, others are TTC now, some in the next few years, some of us aren't even close. We've also had the occasional visitor that is a "Not Mama...EVER" ie, male nannies and such. We're happy to have all y'all!

So here we are. And here you are. Let the party begin!

NMY Offshoot Threads

NMY Graduates Love Thread
NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part Two
NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part Three
NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part Four
NMY Fitness Thread

Official NMY Status Roster
Getting to know you...getting to know all about you...

Post in the thread if you want your information added, updated, or changed. If it seems as if I didn't see it, send me a PM. Thanks!

Graduates

Katt, age 30 mama to Teotimo since 12/27/06
~Shanna~ mama to Fenton Edward since 3/26/07
Holiztic mama to Quinn since 4/13/07
BeccaBear, age 28 -mama to Alexander Lewis since 5/6/07
Rico'sAlice, age 27 - mama to Johannes Edward since 5/20/07
turtle81 , age 25 - mama to Phillip since 6/02/07
farmama, age 29 - mama to Natalina since 7/17/07
Maela, age 26 - mama to Maev since 7/17/07
jodib, age 29 - mama to Rosalie Jayne since 7/23/07
PiePie, age 36 - mama to since 8/16/07
arelyn, age 25 - mama to Micaiah since 8/16/07
hazieluna, age 35 - mama to Aidan Sebastian since 9/15/07
ATD_Mom, age 32 - mama to Alasdair since 9/16/07
Sihaya, age 24 - mama to Calvin since 12/22/07
NJ*Doula, age 27 - mama since 3/16/08
blizzard_babe-mama to Issac Vincent since 05/06/08
cking- mama to Josephine Angela since 04/01/08
snozzberry-mama to Abigail Ann since 2/16/08
witchygrrl-mama to Rhea Ann since 8/1/08
zoebird- mama to Hawk Octavian since 8/30/08
asoulunbound - mama to Samara Marie since 10/25/08
MujerMamaMismo- mama to Sebastian Felix since 12/21/08
Kriket - mama to Sirius J since 4/24/09
Mama Khi - mama to Abigail since 6/18/09
Sk8ermaiden - mama to Elle since 7/12/09
CourtBChase - mama to Eleanor Sage since 7/19/09
AsYouWish- mama to DonnaLucia since 9/14/09
JessicaRenee - mama to Jude since 9/25/09
Texmati - mama to Ishaan since 9/22/09
LibertyBelle- mama since 10/09
CalaRei- mama to Tycho & Kepler 10/29/09
jaclyn7 - mama to Kiefer since 11/26/09
Andee-mama to baby Danger since 12/08/09
MEcatlady17- mama to Hannah Lee since 1/19/10
GuavaGirl-mama to Eli James since 2/21/10
RhiOrion - mama to Loreli Ruth since 4/8/10
Oztok5 - mama to a little boy since 5/3/10
Tippy - mama to Julius Luciano since 5/30/10

Pregnant
APBTlover due 10/2010
Monarchgrrl due 10/2010
Jenne due 2/2011

TTC Now & Later
aquarius aspiring (2011?)
ashcav
Brown Lioness
bubbledumpster (July 2011)
cak1207 (currently)
CAndMe
Cari (summer 2011)
Charliemae
Freud
habitat
Hesperia (currently)
JlyGrnMigt (August 2010)
Knittinanny
Kyamo (currently)
lakeruby (summer?)
lapis (currently)
monkeyscience (late 2010/2011)
MrsD08 (currently)
musiclovinglife
nemrac917 (2012?)
Neuromancer (2010/2011)
objet_trouve (2010)
Oiseau (sometime between 2013-2015)
Shaina
sleepingbeauty (Jan 2013)
stretch358
zejh-mama to Joseph
10/9/09

Not Sure Yet
Chloe2326
gfreelishy
joiedevivre184
KaylaBeanie
Kimiij
Knitty Gritty
ladyinred
Sage.Naissance
TwilightJoy
Zephyrine

Planning to Adopt
crunchysamma
w8ing4myDD

Birthdays

January
Tippy...15th

February
Kyamo…10th
Neuromancer...19th, 1977

March
stretch358…5th
CAndMe...8th

April
APBTlover
Cari...16th

May
bubbledumpster...12th
RhiOrion...19th
ashcav...22nd, 1987
lapis...24th

June
sleepingbeauty...23rd, 1989
Jenne…24th

July
ladyinred… 4th, 1981

August
Oiseau...5th
KaylaBeanie...17th
Sage.Naissance...28th
joiedevivre184...26th

September
Knitty Gritty... 6th
nemrac917...17th

October
JlyGnrMigt...8th
Hesperia...12th
Brown Lioness...16tn,1979

November
MrsD08...3rd
zejh...18th
Monarchgrrl...20th, 1977

December
Shaina…5th, 1988
Knittinanny...12th

Post in the thread if you want your information added, updated, or changed. If it seems as if I didn't see it, send me a PM and I will do my best to fix it. Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charliemae View Post
i'm graduating this afternoon!

Congrats, Charliemae! I remember you!

Hi everyone, i am a long time returning NMY member. I guess i initially started lurking because i didnt have much to contribute, but as possible TTCing comes over my horizon, i feel a little better about posting on MDC.

Anywho, a short introduction about me...I am a 30 year old happily married woman to my wonderful 33 year old hubby newly living in Austin, TX. We have been married almost 6 years (anny is in August) and I have been baby lusting since about 2005 or 2006. Hubby is JUST NOW coming around to the thought of being parents, lol. However, we are continuing to wait to establish my business as i want us to be a work at home family.

In the meanwhile, we are hoping to become fur-parents to any local rescued Airedale pup, learning our way around Austin, sack away money, and enjoy possibley the last months of our childless lifestyle, although we are very much baby lusting in the process (it doesnt help that folks all around us popping up pregnant lol). Our family has also been waiting with baited breath as this will be the first grandchild for our parents sans my MIL (hubby's much older brothers have kids, but they arent biologically my FIL's grandkids).

Anywho, its nice to meet all the new NMY's and good to see the fellow returning NMY's.

I thought i'd answer the previous thread's get-to-know-you questions as well:

What kind of birth are you hoping for? Water, home, home water, hospital, etc?

I am hoping for a home waterbirth when the time comes.

-Any more name ideas?

I am kinda tight lipped about my baby name ideas these days, mainly because i feel that the names could change when the time finally comes lol

-Where do you want to live/where do you live?

I just moved to Austin, TX last month and so far, we love it here. It kinda tickles us to think that our kids will be native Texans, lol

-How many kiddos do you want, and does anyone plan to adopt?

When we got married, we agreed upon 3 to 4, but recently hubby has alluded to more, so we shall see, lol

*Do you have any hobbies?*

I like to cook, read, and post on message boards, lol

*What do you do as a job?

I like to say that i moonlight as an IT support Analyst while I am becoming a budding entrepreneur lol. I hope to kick the IT job to the curb soon to become a fulltime entrepreneur.

*Any non-crunchy confessions?*

Well, every once in a while, you can catch me and hubby going out for our patented late night junk foods runs to go get the fast food/viddles of our choosing. Oh and i havent really started recycling yet (i reuse things, but as far as the whole "separate trash and take it out to the recycling bin/center thing, i havent started that yet).

1. Do you have any pets? If so, what kind and what are their names?

Not yet, hubby and i have recently been in communications with our local Airedale rescue. Hopefully, we will be fur-parents by the end of this year.

2. Do you have anything stashed away for your future kids? (oh-so-cute outfit you couldn't not buy? Special cradle that's been in the family forever?

Nope, nothing. I guess I am kind of superstitious about that kind of thing, i dont even have any pregnancy/birth/baby books.

3. Favorite food?

Im a budding foodie, so i cannot in good concious pick just ONE food as my favorite, but my favs are snow crab legs, BBQ ribs, fettuccinne alfredo with seared scallops, farm fresh Georgia peaches and cream, and succulent roast chicken (*drool*).

4. What brought you to MDC?

It sounds really hokey, but i literally did a google search for "mothering" because i wanted to read about what it is like to be a mother. I knew nothing about the actual Mothering magazine, but here I landed,lol

5. Random fact about yourself

I have dreadlocks that are past my butt, lol. I've been growing them for 10 and a half years now.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JlyGrnMigt View Post
I think you ladies will appreciate this...

I downloaded a book for my Kindle a few days ago called "The Prospective Mother". As it turns out, it's a nearly 100-year-old pregnancy manual. I only read the first chapter, but it was amusing to read that the surest way to know you are pregnant is to feel the baby kick.

Oh, how far we've come to be able to pee on a stick...
I decided to record this book (it's in the public domain) for the good people over at Librivox. If you're not familiar with them, they use volunteer, amateur readers (anyone who wants to) to create free audio books of books in the public domain.

I've only recorded the preface, introduction, and first chapter so far, but you can listen to it as an audio book as I go along (I'll try to post a chapter a week) if you can handle my unprofessional sound set-up (there's some computer hiss on parts of the tracks). http://librivox.org/newcatalog/publi...ProjectID=4410

It's funny. Some parts are outdated, some seem just fine, and several items are sexist, now scientifically inaccurate, condescending, or propaganda. But I'm enjoying it as a historical document!

#6 ·
I never answered the questions below. Thanks for the inspiration, BrownLioness!

I read (a lot, lately), crochet in spurts, and spend WAY too much time online.

Well, I'm not allowed to work on my current visa (I'm in China) so I teach English as a volunteer. Even if I could work here, there aren't a ton of paying jobs available in this part of the country.

Besides flying way too much, um, I like potato chips. In abnormally large quantities.

I wish! I grew up with cats and dogs, and my husband only had a dog. His whole family hates cats. I told him I'd get one in China, but I think we'll wait on a pet until we're back in Madison. This is a really small space.

2. Do you have anything stashed away for your future kids? (oh-so-cute outfit you couldn't not buy? Special cradle that's been in the family forever?

I have a baby shower registry
My mom saved a lot of things - all of my dresses, Disney movies on VHS (lol), and a couple of furniture items that may or may not be considered safe now. Before we leave China, I'll be picking up some baby things. They have beautiful baby carriers here.

3. Favorite food?

Hm, I adore food in general. My favorite is VARIETY. In the land of stir-fry, it's starting to wear on me. Right now, I'd be making casseroles if I had an oven.

I don't remember! I probably searched for something and got directed to a thread here by google.

My interests flit around like a hyper butterfly. I'm great at starting things, and often leave them unfinished. I have 2 BS degrees, an MA, and an unfinished MS. I have started and stopped learning Spanish, Tagalog, and Chinese, and am now learning Tibetan.

#7 ·
Hello All!

I wanted to introduce myself--I am Ellie, and I think I belong here

I am 23 and single (would love to find someone though
) and I have always been interested in being a mama, as well as all aspects of APing--I hope to be a graduate someday, but for now, I will enjoy hanging with you wonderful ladies

About me:
*Hobbies: Reading, Biking, Baking, Knitting, and Dancing

*Favorite Book: The Birth House by Ami Mckay

*What kind of birth I would like: I would love to have a home water-birth someday if I can

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

It's funny. Some parts are outdated, some seem just fine, and several items are sexist, now scientifically inaccurate, condescending, or propaganda. But I'm enjoying it as a historical document!
My thoughts exactly! I'm really enjoying it. I just have 2 chapters left. I think I've been more amazed by what they have dead on correct as opposed to what's way off. It's led me to google lots of interesting stuff as well.

I did get my 1950s baby book back tonight, so I'll try to scan some of the pics in soon. I totally forgot about the baby who is in half the pics who has the most hilarious hair.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliebean View Post
Hello All!

I wanted to introduce myself--I am Ellie, and I think I belong here

I am 23 and single (would love to find someone though
) and I have always been interested in being a mama, as well as all aspects of APing--I hope to be a graduate someday, but for now, I will enjoy hanging with you wonderful ladies

About me:
*Hobbies: Reading, Biking, Baking, Knitting, and Dancing

*Favorite Book: The Birth House by Ami Mckay

*What kind of birth I would like: I would love to have a home water-birth someday if I can

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Hi Ellie! Welcome!

#11 ·
First - my emotional state is maybe a little abnormal since I just read like 20 birth stories posted on the website of the only freestanding birth center in Madison.

My insurance company (an HMO) manages to suck and not suck simultaneously. They offer all sorts of alternative medicine treatments, discounts on yoga, reiki, CSAs, etc., but midwife care is excluded entirely. In fact, all childbirth must take place at the one hospital in Madison that I've heard is the worst for giving birth if you're even half as crunchy as most folks in Madison.

My husband and I have talked about a homebirth, but I'm not really up to doing it unassisted so an "oops, guess I waited too long" isn't really an option. All the homebirth midwives in town charge about the same amount, and I didn't think it was too much, but his eyes bugged out when I told him. It's about $2600 I think for all prenatal care, the birth, and a couple of visits afterwards. I'm not sure how much the birth center charges, but I just wrote to them asking what insurance companies do cover births there and how much.

So my husband doesn't know it yet, but I'm looking into the other plans we can switch to. Open enrollment is in September, and if I can find a plan that is comparable to what we have now that also covers a midwife, I think he'll be open to switching.

I also wrote a nice letter to the HMO explaining my disappointment and asking for an explanation or, even better, assurance that it would be covered soon. I doubt I'm the only one that's written, though I might be the only one that's written twice
Am I crazy? Would you switch from an otherwise awesome provider who is rated among the top 10 in the country just to get out of the hospital?

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown Lioness View Post

I have dreadlocks that are past my butt, lol. I've been growing them for 10 and a half years now.
dreadlocks!

i had dreads for a year, and then i just couldn't stand having the same hairstyle for soo long, so i chopped them all off. my SO just chopped all his off after two years! but i definitely plan on having dreads again, after i've grown my hair out.

i don't think i've done the first part of that questionnaire yet, so i think i'll do it now!

What kind of birth are you hoping for? Water, home, home water, hospital, etc?

It wasn't too long ago that I wanted to be completely knocked out for childbirth. Then I read Birthing from Within and I decided I wanted a waterbirth in a birth center. But now I'm sort of pondering the idea of homebirth, because when I look at the pictures of birthing suites they just don't look comfy or cozy to me. they look like motel rooms. But then, that's another thing I like about the idea of a birthing center. there's just something about going someplace else where your goal is to have your baby, and that space is reserved for that process, that really appeals to me.

-Any more name ideas?

I have tons of name ideas, my SO and I bounce them off each other all the time. Caractacus (from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang), Samsara (a combination of my and my SO's names, and also a really fascinating Buddhist concept, and worth a Google IMO), Cecilia, Coco, Xiola, Azrael (the Biblical Angel of Death). The SO really likes the name Jasper for his first born son, I'm not a huge fan but he's really set on it, so I said I'd be fine with it as long as we could call the kid by his middle name.

And I'm dead set on having one of my kid's middle names be "Iunno". I think that's hilarious.

I currently live in Orlando, and it's the nicest place I've ever lived. But that's not saying much.
I would really like to live in a small liberal city. Like Asheville, NC or Madison, WI, or Austin, TX. Though, now that I think about it Austin isn't really that small. But I also feel like it's really important to me to be near the ocean. And I want to be near mountains too.

SO and I want SIX! Minimum! We want our only little army
We seriously love children and we both go ga-ga every time we see one out in the world. Which feels like EVERY. SINGLE. PLACE. WE GO. Because both of us have crazy crazy baby lust.

I hula hoop, and I love taking photographs. I read about natural birth ALL DAY LONG. I'd really love to be a birth photographer.

I don't have a job. I'm sort of going to school right now.

"confessions" makes it sound dirty, but i do my very best to be respectful to the world i live in. and while i know i can make a much bigger effort, i am always striving to form better habits and be more conscious of my effect on the environment.

i noticed i'm still not listed as a member.
i'm 23, my bday is may 12, and i plan on TTC July 2011

#13 ·
Bubble-I just added you to the list.

JlyGrnMigt- Midwives in my area charge between $3000-4000 for prenatal care, birth and postpartum care. I realized when I decided on homebirth that it most likely wouldn't be covered by my insurance, so it's something that's on my list to save the money for before TTC. I figure that if I slowly start saving, I'll make it there sooner or later. If my insurance at the time does cover it, or any part of it, then that's just a bonus. I guess maybe I should be upset that it's not usually covered. I might put up a fuss when the time comes. I know my employer offers some plans that I think cover homebirth, so I could always switch if my current plan doesn't. If it meant giving up my PCP though, I wouldn't do it because she's the best doc I've ever had and I love her.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown Lioness View Post
Congrats, Charliemae! I remember you!
I remember you too! If I recall correctly you were one of my fellow Leo's.

Quote:
In the meanwhile, we are hoping to become fur-parents to any local rescued Airedale pup, learning our way around Austin, sack away money, and enjoy possibley the last months of our childless lifestyle, although we are very much baby lusting in the process (it doesnt help that folks all around us popping up pregnant lol). Our family has also been waiting with baited breath as this will be the first grandchild for our parents sans my MIL (hubby's much older brothers have kids, but they arent biologically my FIL's grandkids).
How did you choose and Airedale? I was looking at the breed just the other day. I am personally falling in love with the Shiloh Shepherd right now.

Quote:
I thought i'd answer the previous thread's get-to-know-you questions as well:
I haven't done this yet either.... I'll try and do it later today.

Quote:

When we got married, we agreed upon 3 to 4, but recently hubby has alluded to more, so we shall see, lol
Do you have any thoughts on age spacing at all?

Quote:

Nope, nothing. I guess I am kind of superstitious about that kind of thing, i dont even have any pregnancy/birth/baby books.
It's funny, I wouldn't have called it superstitious before but after I read it I thought "yeah that's why I haven't bought anything". I DO have books, but that's the end of it.

Quote:

I also wrote a nice letter to the HMO explaining my disappointment and asking for an explanation or, even better, assurance that it would be covered soon. I doubt I'm the only one that's written, though I might be the only one that's written twice
Am I crazy? Would you switch from an otherwise awesome provider who is rated among the top 10 in the country just to get out of the hospital?
I am not opposed to hospital births outright. Then again, I live in Seattle and we have some Hospitals here that are comparable with birth centers in other parts of the country. I would suggest going in as open mindedly as possible and asking to tour their birth facilities. Then you will have a solid personal basis for not wanting to birth there and you can use that to spring board forward.
And there is always the chance, no matter how tiny, that you might not totally hate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbledumpster View Post

I currently live in Orlando, and it's the nicest place I've ever lived. But that's not saying much.
I would really like to live in a small liberal city. Like Asheville, NC or Madison, WI, or Austin, TX. Though, now that I think about it Austin isn't really that small. But I also feel like it's really important to me to be near the ocean. And I want to be near mountains too.
We have lots of small liberal cities AND mountains in Washington!

Quote:

SO and I want SIX! Minimum! We want our only little army
We seriously love children and we both go ga-ga every time we see one out in the world. Which feels like EVERY. SINGLE. PLACE. WE GO. Because both of us have crazy crazy baby lust.
I've always said I want 6 so we can have one of those huge tables that seat 8!

Quote:

I hula hoop, and I love taking photographs. I read about natural birth ALL DAY LONG. I'd really love to be a birth photographer.
I really want to start hula hooping this summer.

#15 ·
Quote:

I remember you too! If I recall correctly you were one of my fellow Leo's.

Aah, almost, im a Libra!

How did you choose and Airedale? I was looking at the breed just the other day. I am personally falling in love with the Shiloh Shepherd right now.

Well, i was searching breeds, thinking that i had the breed I wanted all picked out (the Shiba Inu), but the more i read, the more i gravitated towards the Airedale....its bubbly personality, their versatility outdoors, their hardy health, and the grooming seems to be just right. Hopefully, i'll get to meet up with some here soon at the local training complex (apparently people from all over the world come to Austin's training complex to learn how to be dog trainers).

What attracts you to the Shiloh Shepherd?

I haven't done this yet either.... I'll try and do it later today.

Do you have any thoughts on age spacing at all?

I figure that since we are getting started so "late" that our spacing would be as generous as most folks who got started a decade earlier, so i would LIKE to give each baby 2 years of milk before TTCing agan and then deciding how many kiddos from there. Hopefully, i can pop some twins in there somewhere, lol.

It's funny, I wouldn't have called it superstitious before but after I read it I thought "yeah that's why I haven't bought anything". I DO have books, but that's the end of it.

Ive just been so fearful of hubby freaking out about parenthood if i had pregnancy and baby books around that ive pretty much avoided them, lol.

I am not opposed to hospital births outright. Then again, I live in Seattle and we have some Hospitals here that are comparable with birth centers in other parts of the country. I would suggest going in as open mindedly as possible and asking to tour their birth facilities. Then you will have a solid personal basis for not wanting to birth there and you can use that to spring board forward.
And there is always the chance, no matter how tiny, that you might not totally hate it.

We have lots of small liberal cities AND mountains in Washington!

I've always said I want 6 so we can have one of those huge tables that seat 8!

I really want to start hula hooping this summer.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
JlyGrnMigt- Midwives in my area charge between $3000-4000 for prenatal care, birth and postpartum care. I realized when I decided on homebirth that it most likely wouldn't be covered by my insurance, so it's something that's on my list to save the money for before TTC. I figure that if I slowly start saving, I'll make it there sooner or later. If my insurance at the time does cover it, or any part of it, then that's just a bonus. I guess maybe I should be upset that it's not usually covered. I might put up a fuss when the time comes. I know my employer offers some plans that I think cover homebirth, so I could always switch if my current plan doesn't. If it meant giving up my PCP though, I wouldn't do it because she's the best doc I've ever had and I love her.
We can afford it because we're frugal, but of course, because we're frugal, it's hard to justify spending that much when I could get it covered elsewhere. I luckily (or unluckily) have not formed any sort of attachment to my current PCP, so switching would not pain me. I missed the one I left in Michigan though.

Quote:

Yeah, I will tour the facilities when I get home if we haven't switched already. Open enrollment is in September with a Jan.1 switch date, and we don't get back to the US until mid-December. It has occurred to me that I might not totally hate it, but I just can't help but think "hospital birth" with this accompanying flurry of people freaking out about everything. I've heard nothing good about birthing at this hospital, though there's another in town that I hear is great. They only cover the ungood one. So confusing.

I did get a note back from Member Services already though. I take that to mean she did not forward my note to anyone who influences policy... The woman responding said that while she did not know the current status of things, they've been looking into it for a few years. If I'm still with this company next May and they haven't started covering it, I'm dragging myself to the annual meeting. I have a short fuse for meetings, so that's kind of a big deal

"Looking into it" doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

#17 ·
Quote:

I would definitely switch and let them know that that is the reason you are switching

#18 ·
How many kiddos do you want, and does anyone plan to adopt?

Wanted 2 - but Adopt never happening. After 2 agencies telling us "we think you need to go to counselling" but they wont say why or for how long and lots of lies on their part we have given up. We have hope that one day after Daniel 2:44 fullfilled THEN we will have at least 2 if not 10 :)

Quilting for nephews and nieces,
knitting - i'm such a newb at it thought i can do washcloths, a blanket (with Giant needles) and one fingerless glove.

I work from home as Bilingual Customser Service representative - je suis bilingue car ma mere ma mis dans un ecole Francophone et Non un ecole "immersion"
I also teach homeschool kids (2 & 4) French

Tim Hortons! and the occasional Pizza and burger joint. Other wise i try to "eat by design" oh and I have an indoor pool which to me is contrary to crunchie in everyway but i have Fibromyalgia and My husband has bad knees and is a truck driver (so little excercise and you probably know what he looks like ) and so this is only way we get lots of excercise in summer.

Chewy - Shih Tzy definately my fur baby - raised from puppy and after initial crate training resulted in 2 nights no sleep because he decided we would AP him from then on.
Zoey - Border collie/ Australian sheppard cross - after a long week of visitng with friends who have 2 dogs our Chewy would not shut up about how lonely he was without other dogs around (he talks you know) and so we found an ad in the grocery store for Zoey free to good home. Her first parents were now too busy and their other dog (older) could careless for this lovable Lap dog. they are the best of friends and are similarly colored so they are quiet a pair when we go to the post office together. they love everyone the meet, except puppies who dont know social boundaries they have no patience for that.

I still have a blankie that is uber soft my friend/co worker gave me when we moved away to our home we are in now. Part of our move was to go with the "better" agency.

3. Favorite food?

right now Quinoa thanks to my sister. I make salad with it and enjoy it all week with my um...... my spring greens that come in that plastic box that my town does not recycle but it works great at making small greenhouses in the garden and i guess that paying 3.99 a box even though it came from far instead of buying local (whic i do for everything else when inseason) anyways i eat that all week. Working from home rocks that way.

My sister. Totally crunchie. Diaper free (which was my idea i bought the book for the library and dedicated it to the name i had chosen for our first faild adoptive girl) Had 2 planned home births, is going to be a registered doula (she assisted her SIL birth) and is AP all the way and her 3 1/2 year old is planning on having his own room now because he is ready and he is way better behaved than my other halfs family who are as "mainstream-doctors know everything and are always right-hospitals are the best place to have babies-cloth diapers dont make sense-jarred baby food is best as is pablum at 6 months" as it comes

i have false teeth - ever since i was in grade 8, when i hit a portable with my face sliding down an ice hill on my feet.

#19 ·
I'm here...and not on the list! August 17th, it's my big 21!

I got my IUD put in two weeks ago, which means no accidental bubs for me...I know I should feel relieved, but I feel mostly sad knowing that all possibility is gone

Life is chugging along here, as always. I can't wait to get out of Missouri...only fourteen months! Unfortunately, I'm not exactly upgrading, I'm going to Alabama. Grr. I'm hoping I'll be able to study abroad for a full year, and after I graduate I'm going to do everything possible to find a way to live in Norway or Sweden for a year or so. I'm a quasi-socialist and find American men boring,

#20 ·
How many kiddos do you want, and does anyone plan to adopt?

As non-crunchy as big families are
I've always said I want 6. Over the years, however, I've come to realize that I wont really know until I have them. Some people can decide their family size before hand and never veer from that number. For myself I go back and forth between natural child spacing (EBF as contraception) or waiting until #1 is 4 or 5 before considering #2.
What I think it will come down is the personality of #1 to decide when to have #2 and the personality of #2 to decide if/when to have #3.

Still, I want a big family.

DF and I have talked about adoption (as I mentioned before). I would like to adopt domestically through the foster care system. Most of the time I think about adopting I picture sibling groups or a child with special needs (highly functioning). If we were to do that it would be after we had out last biological child.

Reading, surfing the internet and crafting. Right now I'm also on a nutrition kick to the point that it's almost a hobby.

I just graduated!
This summer I am doing private in-home tutoring. In September I'm going to start substituting and hopefully get a full time teaching job before to long!

I currently don't recycle nearly enough. I drive A LOT. I use paper towels (which we're going to do away with when we move).

When DF and I move in together (in the next few weeks!!!) we will have 3 dogs and 2 cats:

2 Huskies: Disco is an red and white 3 year old rescue. DF got him at the humane society when he was a year old. Kira is a 2 year old long haired adoptee. DF got her when she was about a year old from someone who couldn't care for her (they were living in a condo with no yard and no time)

1 Pomeranian: Gypsy who was bred and raised in my home. She is a big dog in a little body and enjoys hikes and car rides.

2 cats: Coca is a 10 year old black domestic short hair. He was my first pet and I love him dearly. I'm nervous about moving in at the end of the month because he's older and not used to change.
Cheddar is my baby
. He is 11 months old and HUGE! DF got him for me as a birthday gift last year. If you goggle maine **** and see an orange and white one, that's exactly what he looks like. He asks just like one too (friendly, playful, in general thinks hes a dog), but his sibs and mom look nothing like Maine ***** and he's just a mutt cat.

Just books

3. Favorite food?
Chicken!

I found this place when I was about 17 or 18 When I started researching natural family living. something like 5 years ago!

I am moving for the first time in my life at the end of the month. I am half terrified and half excited, those proportions shift constantly.

#21 ·
So I've definitely got my husband thinking about babies in a serious way. He's planning to possibly come back to China next summer for a little more research, but was worried about leaving me alone while pregnant

I reminded him that I wanted to be pregnant on the plane home so that I could get a maternity t-shirt and a onesie made that say "MADE IN CHINA" and he started talking about prenatal care and stuff. "If you were to get pregnant in September, you'd give birth in June! I've been calculating this stuff!"

He's so funny

*I* calculate that we're 18 condoms away from ttc, no matter what month that falls in!

#22 ·
Kayla-I added you to the list. Not sure why I'd never added you before.

Just and FYI for everyone, I don't add anyone to the list until they specifically ask, mostly for privacy reasons (some people don't want their info out there), and also because sometimes someone will just post once or twice then never return. If you're not on the list and want to be, just post what you want me to add or PM me.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
I added yet another historical pregnancy book to my ever growing collection. It's a book my mom had during her first pregnancy. So far, it's the coolest and best one I have. It's from 1976 and it's British, but very woman positive and natural minded for the most part. It's the first book in my collection to feature non-white women and families and it talks very openly about sex. It's got it's little quirks, but overall, I like the advice the best. Just trying to find time to scan pics but I promise I'll get to it eventually.
Sounds cool, what's the name of it?

Quote:
Also, a tiny squee worthy note: we were at my ILs this weekend and my FIL got out a baby curl from my fiance. Perfectly curled S-shaped white blond curl. I so hope those get passed on!!
Blond curls are the best. But since there's no chance of them that I can tell, I'm hoping for some red!

#25 ·
Gfreelishy is my BFF in real life but hasn't made it on the new tribe yet. She's sitting right here and says to put her birthday up, she turns 21 on July 2nd

Speaking of, Lish and I got matching tattoos on Friday!

Here is hers and here is mine!

Anyhow, I'm off! I haven't seen her since December, and we're munching on coconut milk ice cream. Since I'm vegetarian and she's vegan/gluten free, we had to find something awesome we could both eat. We're having a documentary marathon. "America The Beautiful" is on now, next is "Food, Inc." followed by "The Business of Being Born" and finally "Jesus Camp."

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
I'm changing my mindset from Not a Mama "because I'm not sure when the right time will be" to Not a MamA "because we haven't conceived yet, but we're now sorta trying." Here goes!

Excellent!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaylaBeanie View Post

Since I'm vegetarian and she's vegan/gluten free, we had to find something awesome we could both eat. We're having a documentary marathon. "America The Beautiful" is on now, next is "Food, Inc." followed by "The Business of Being Born" and finally "Jesus Camp."
I find it hard being veg and gluten-free...I can't imagine being vegan and gluten-free too! I was vegan for 3 years though, so I'm sure it's possible. good for her!

I know all of those movies except America the Beautiful. You'll have to write a review when you're done

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.