Mothering Forum banner

Summer Cannabis Mamas and MJ Lovers

22K views 318 replies 59 participants last post by  Partaria 
#1 ·
Welcome to Summer Cannabis Mamas and MJ Lovers

Our Standing Message:
Our purpose is to Support, Educate & Share information regarding the Many Common & UnCommon Uses and Abuses of Cannabis/Marijuana.

We speak about News Currents, Media, "Medical" Marijuana, State Legislation, Parenting, Breastfeeding, Legal Issues, Spirituality, Plant Uses and Preparations, Opinion, Fact and Truth.

We promote the use of this wonderful Medicinal Plant for Appetite Stimulant, Spiritual Centering, Treating the symptoms of Morning Sickness, Chronic pain, Glaucoma and possibly Curing/Reversing Cancer, AIDS etc... Countless Citizens find this plant medically useful and less harmful than disease causing prescription and over the counter DRUGS.

We are also discussing Hemp another misunderstood plant & seed, which has many wonderful non-medicinal uses < Fiber, Fuel, Plastics, Nutritional Value etc...> This is also illegal to cultivate in much of the U.S.
Also the subjects of spending less money on the "WAR" against Marijuana.
Many governments attempt to mis-inform and discourage Right Education and Safe Access to Marijuana. We Say... Use all things in harmony with yourself and others.

As this is a public forum and may be viewed by anyone with internet access, please be mindful what you post on this topic. Everyone has different comfort levels and we don't want to discourage anyone from joining us.

Welcome to our forum, newcomers, and enjoy!

Resource List under construction, PM me for suggestions

Cannabis and Pregnancy

Common Treatments for Hyperemesis Gravidarum

Use of Marijuana During Pregnancy

Women and Cannabis

Women and Cannabis google books

Dr. Melanie Dreher, reefer reseacher

Cannabis and Children

Is Marijuana a Valuable Treatment for Autism?

Cannabis Reduces Infant Mortality

Mother Explains Why She Gives Pot to her 9 Year Old Autistic Son

Cannabis Legality

The NORML State Guide to Marijuana Laws

Drug War Facts

Drug Policy Alliance

Clinical Studies and Medical Marijuana

International Association for Cannabinoid Medicines

How Cannabis Works on the Brain

Medical Marijuana News and Information

Women's Alliance for Medical Marijuana

ProCon, non-profit public charity

American Medical Marijuana Association

Marijuana Policy Project

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies

American Civil Liberties Union

Canadian Links

Why Prohibition

Cannabis Culture Magazine

See less See more
#52 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~D~ View Post
When I lived out in the country, I could turn my stereo up with some great tunes to help motivate a cleaning session. Now that I live in an apt. complex, it's not the same.
Have you considered being your own source for herb? I most definitely have, and I will be starting some plants as soon as we move outta here

I have thought about it, but it would be seriously impractical for me as we live in an apartment.
I've also got small children (my youngest is 30 months old) who would be very curious about the smell, which I'm told can become quite powerful even with adequate ventilation (which I surely would not have
).

#53 ·
Can I join?I've been partaking since I was 16,and I find it really helps with my anxiety and depression.I tried to quit recently because a former therapist put down my primary diagnosis was mj use.
I left her ASAP after that.I am trying for SSI and my lawyers said I would never get SSI if I was still using,that they would drug test me at the hearing since the other side has a former prosecutor who is very against the herb.Anyone know anything about this?BTW my diagnoses are bipolar,severe depression,severe anxiety and fibromyalgia.I've also found that I don't get many fibro flares while I am medicating with the herb.I don't even take the meds for fibro anymore.I still take all my other meds(I'm on lamictal,klonipin,seriquil,welbutrin,abilfy for the bipolar,depression and anxiety,and levothyroxine for my thyroid) but I know I could go off them except the thyroid one if I could medicate with herb.I just can't afford it too often.My state has medical(I'm in RI) but I don't even know how to go about getting the card.I'm afraid to approach it with my dr.I did tell her when I was trying to quit and she gave me tramadol for the fibro pain,which did nothing for me so I went back to smoking when I can.

Luckily my dad also medicates and he doesn't mind sharing.
He has a severe form of arthritis and he's even stopped using his cane now that he is medicating again.When he was in the hospital it was terrible,he couldn't even walk.

#54 ·
Welcome muldey, of course you can join! Were happy to have more mama's open about their mj uses, good to have ya. Forgive me, but what is SSI? I want to help, im just not sure about it. I nanny'ed for a mom who was dianosed with everything you have except fibro. Same medications as well, she always tryed to medicate with mj and it was great. She was very calm and collected, great with the kids, in good spirits. I encouraged her usage because I was so happy to see her functioning better. I hated all the heavy, heavy meds she was on. I wish you the best of luck in finding the right balance between the pills and herb, hopefully you can venture fully off the pills! I guess the challenge is finding a doc who is open to the cards. Im sure your medical history speaks for itself that you have exercised all other options without sufficient success.

Eilonwy, Im sure I can see that a vap can take out that certain finesse to mj. Mmm, incense and herb, i love that warm hippie smell. Im high functioning too, in fact after Ive smoked I like to be active and head out somewhere. I live with my parents for extra support while Im working, saving, going to univ. so I cant bring it out in the house so openly. My mom knows I smoke, whether she still thinks I do, im not sure. I think because I have my babe, she would think I wouldnt be able to take care of him while I was high and being irresponsible or something. I would not feel comfortable having my baby in a area or room where I was smoking or had been, although in a apt its much more difficult to avoid that issue of keep it well ventilated.

Hey mama D. I hate having to hide it so much too, but I dont like being judged differently because Im high, I feel im not taken seriously or being scanned for signs of being a typical stoner. My eyes go really red, just the irish in me, same happens with a beer or glass of wine so visine is part of the ritual unless Im not going to be around anyone and I let my hazy eyes go free. Every time I use my herbs now I think of this thread and what Im going to share next.

Ive decided to finally break into a little hippie talk and share how my mind is running after my herbs. I feel a heightened sense of reality, my surroundings and myself. I am able to have simple but deep thoughts. Any time I am unsure of where to centre my focus or attitude, cannabis will guide my head along to a place where I am no longer confused or unsure of a situation. I dislike burning out because I cant go relax and sleep, too much to do! But after I sober up I am in general good spirits, still relaxed and my head is kept in the comfortable place I came to with mj. I take moments and adore my baby and every little thing he does, I smile often at his little quirks and movements. I feel more intuned and connected to other people I may be smoking with, especially with a lover. I feel there is a conversation moving with your eyes and vibes, and not much needs to be said because a greater understanding and commonality is present.

And no, Im sober as a priest right now lol Not just stoner mumbo jumbo

#56 ·
Hi there, interested in joining the activist portion of this thread. I used to smoke regularly for about 8 years, then stopped of my own volition due to anxiety. I know, I know, typically the MJ is very good for anxiety, just not my particular type. But DH still imbibes on a very regular basis and more power to him!

I wanted to alert all of you that possession of a personal amount (up to one ounce) is not only decriminalized but LEGAL in state of Alaska. Yes, LEGAL. And yes, we live here. In Alaska, I mean. And I'm not the craziest about AK, quite rural for us and we are from Portland, OR, and before that California, but I know people here who have moved here specifically because pot is legal in this state for personal use. Here is one of many links, all you need to do is google it: http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4522

So, what's up with this vaporizer deal-y? I don't know what those are or how those work, but if they limit smell and smoke, I would like to see about getting one for DH. Just concern for the little one, yk? Please advise!

I hope the above info gives some people inspiration!

#57 ·
Muldey: Welcome to the thread. I've never ever heard of anyone being tested for drug use before getting Social Security benefits, though I have heard of people with substance abuse problems getting benefits because their problems constitute a disability. This could be different for you, because you had a therapist who "diagnosed" you formally with a "problem".
In your position, I'd abstain for as long as possible before the hearing just to be safe, but quite frankly I think it's a load of hooey. I know many, many people on Social Security who have never had any drug testing at all though.

MovnMama; Hi!
I'm inspired by your post to think about moving to Alaska.

#58 ·
~D~ I think that sending Marc an email from our group would be a great idea. He loves to here about groups who are doing things to further the cause. I am not sure how we would send an email from our group, but I do have his email address so if you know how to do this I would be more than happy to help. If you request to be Jodies friend on facebook, she is updating all the time about what is going on with Marc. Just a thought....

#59 ·
canadianhippie,thanks for the welcome!SSI is supplemental security income,a form of social security.I've been trying to get on for 2 years now,finally got a lawyer but it doesn't seem to be helping.I'm so glad mj helped your friend.That's exactly how I am when I'm on it.I'm calm,can deal with my ds's outbursts easily(he has autism),I don't panic,etc.I hate taking all these meds,but I don't know what else to do.Without them I could end up in the hospital again,and I never want that to happen.If I could just medicate myself I could feel so much better.

eilonwy,thanks for the welcome as well.I have never heard of anyone testing for drugs for SSI either,until my lawyer said something about it.I know quite a few people on it and no one has had a problem.It's all thanks to the one therapist,I had other issues with her.She actually recommended the therapist I see now,for drug treatment.
The new one doesn't think my mj use is an issue,she thinks it is a good thing for me.I wish she could write the prescription,because she would have no problem doing so.The nurse practitioner I see for my meds would also do it,but she'd need my drs approval and I don't know if that would happen.I know if I had the card it would help with the SSI issues.

#60 ·
Hi Mamas,
I was reading the interesting conversation about pipes and bongs and what not and was wondering I am the only one (DH too) on here who feels like bongs and pipes are works of art? We collect pieces that have cost us upward of $400 for a bong, although that was in our wilder, child free days.

A little history. I guess I am minority here in that I have been smoking since I was a sophomore in high school
. I was a wild child and my parents didn't have much control over me so I was out A LOT smoking with friends and basically making an arse of myself. (DH's story is pretty much exactly the same). I guess I am different here to that I don't have a single medical reason to smoke. DH gets severe migraines and it helps with his reflux but he too is an enjoyment smoker mostly.

Now 10 years later and we are still smoking and while we enjoy vaporizing we love to collect really beautiful glass pieces and are always keeping an eye out for a new one. Some of them are truly beautiful and I admit I have cried when we broke our favorite pipe. I can't roll a joint to save my life and neither can DH so we never do that.

As far as friends go the majority of them we have do smoke but it doesn't make a difference to us with those who don't. I don't care what other people do, just let me live my life is the general attitude. Now our families on the other hand have no idea, or they at least pretend to not know. DH's mother truly believes we don't smoke and that is fine, (she probably would call the police on us because of DD, not that we EVER EVER smoke near or around her) and my mother knows but pretends like it doesn't happen. I am always trying to get her to try it with me because she has severe rhematoid arthritis and I truly believe it would help in her pain management. Sigh....

We live in MA and the laws here as many of you know have changed recently so that it is decriminalized which is great for us although we don't go around announcing we smoke weed. I am not an activist just a person who enjoys a good pipe more than a glass of wine. I actually never drink, maybe 1 beer a month or even every other month so pot is my vice I suppose

Oh movmama, I wanted to add that vapo is a good choice for more reasons than just protecting your LO (as if you need more) it is much better for your lungs from all that I've read.

#61 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post
Hi Mamas,
I was reading the interesting conversation about pipes and bongs and what not and was wondering I am the only one (DH too) on here who feels like bongs and pipes are works of art? We collect pieces that have cost us upward of $400 for a bong, although that was in our wilder, child free days.
Hi Lauren! I have a Boobah, too!
She's a Boobah Doll ('boobah' is Hebrew for 'doll', which is how she got the nickname-- she looked like a toy when she was born
). I do think that bongs and pipes are works of art, but I have nothing in the way of disposable income and don't ever have friends over to smoke, so a bong seems terrifically impractical to me.

It's just shy of 9:00 in the morning. I've been in two arguments, and raised my voice four times already.
This is the sort of morning that just screams for a bowl.
It's not like I can just avoid the kids all day just because I'm ticked off and premenstrual.

#62 ·
Welcome to the tribe Ldavis24! Im not a medically needed smoker neither, a couple of us just enjoy smoking as well. I completely agree with your hobby for collecting bongs/pipes, some are absolutely amazing and intricate. I think novelty pipes are cute and funny, and even people's homemade pipes/bongs can crack me up. Im trying to get my mom to use mj too, she has sleeping problems and I think it will help alot, I think ill have to sneak it in some brownies lol.

Muldey, its too bad your going through such a process for your benefits. I think your right though, medicate with mj and keep your meds going and see how to can possibly cut back. I know that balance can be delicate, you feel great and cut your meds back then it makes you worse and your back to square one in finding the right dose.

I love the idea of emailing Marc or Jody..I just dont know what we could say, but we represent a big mj culture niche, the mama's!

Movnmama, I had no idea it was legal in Alaska, must be lovely not having to worry about getting "caught"! I know for alot of people mj can trigger and escalate anxiety, I wouldnt say its for everyone, but thank you for coming on board for the activism

thank you D

#63 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post

It's just shy of 9:00 in the morning. I've been in two arguments, and raised my voice four times already.
This is the sort of morning that just screams for a bowl.
It's not like I can just avoid the kids all day just because I'm ticked off and premenstrual.

aww, is there a nap time coming up so you can go to your "zen place"?

#64 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianhippie View Post
aww, is there a nap time coming up so you can go to your "zen place"?
Only the baby naps, and only when his siblings aren't interfering with the process. Today is probably going to be napless.

#65 ·
I gotta say, I just love how this summer thread has taken off! I've never had such a hard time keeping up with it until now--loving all the "newbies" here
. It's so great to have so many points of view from so many different places!

#66 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~D~ View Post

So what do you set yours at? I've read on other discussion boards that herb vaporizes at 180 or something?? I can't remember... It was a thread about making Green Dragon, and ppl were debating about heating the herb first...

Uh, mine doesn't have numbers, it just has a "sweet spot" on the dial. DH did all the research so I don't know what kind it is (and he would not be happy if he knew I was talking about his on the Internets!). I have just noticed, that although I find it psychologically satisfying to vape at higher temps and see a little smoke, the buzz is better when there is no smoke, just a touch of vapor exhale from the lower temps.

#67 ·
Ha, I told my Dh about Alaska and he is all ready to move up there. Actually it's been a secret fantasy of mine for different reasons. I absolutely cannot stand the heat during summer. Even here in New England and wouldn't mind if it was cold or cooler all year round. Sigh, dreams...

Eilonwy I had no idea boobah was hebrew for doll!! I don't even know how we started that nickname with her...I think it was because I was calling her Della Doobie all the time (do i smoke weed or what) and then DH said we should try to at least make it not pot related so we both started calling her boobah.

I wish I could say I had the expendable income for collecting any new pipes or beautiful pieces. We haven't bought a new one in a long long time, although we are going to Gathering of the Vibes next weekend and maybe will splurge a little there if we see something special.

Canadianhippie, I too have considered just sneaking something to my mom but her partner is really anti-marijuana in general and I would love to avoid the major fight that would ensue..I just feel so bad for my mom, she is miserable with pain some days and I know it would help her she just laughs it off when I suggest it. I am wondering if there are any good studies relating to arthritis and MJ use for pain management? Something to google I suppose.

Hmm I was thinking about the people who get anxiety from using MJ...I have quit periodically in my life for several months at a time because I would get what I call "the fear" which is just utter paranoia that someone would catch me and I would "get in trouble" whatever that meant. What I did figure out and maybe someone has experienced this too, is that my "fear" is directly related to the kind of bud I am smoking, some different strains just bring out the anxiety in me. Although that hasn't happened in ages, now it is just about the only thing that relieves my stress on a daily basis

#68 ·
If ever I have enough on hand to make some budder, I will definitely try to make something for my mother. Of course, I would NEVER EVER EVER sneak her something without her knowledge.
We've discussed it and she's certainly amenable to trying it for her health issues, she's just unable (and unwilling) to smoke. She's also a type II diabetic, so brownies wouldn't go over well (and just as importantly they would be an irresistible temptation for my niece, who could eat the better part of a pan of brownies before she was even conscious of doing it
).

That is something I wanted to ask about, though. Has anyone used budder or something similar in a non-carbohydrate-based food? It's not just the sugar in brownies but the flour which would cause problems, and she has enough trouble regulating her blood sugar under normal circumstances that I would be very uncomfortable trying to help her sort out what was high/low blood sugar and what was the normal effect of herb.

#69 ·
You can put the budder on anything you would put butter on.

To be perfectly honest, I like to drop a chunk in my hot coffee, which is totally weird and I do not suggest anyone try it, but I like it. I like the herby heavyness, but it makes DH want to barf. I keep it frozen an break off a piece when I want it.

I was going to suggest budder on mashed potatoes, but that is also carby.

#70 ·
You could try it in tea...there's lots of recipes for it on the internet, I tried it once when I was really sick and I didn't even want to vape bc my throat hurt so bad. It was gross, but I used left over vap, so good bud prob wouldn't be that bad. Some ppl say you can steep it directly in the tea for a long time and mix the tea w/milk or cream for the fat.
That's a good idea to freeze it and just use when you need it

So recently mj has been my magic sleep aid...I've always used it if i wake during the night, but, recently i've been waking in the middle of the night almost every night and can't sleep
. So I sneak into the living rm and smoke until I hear LO fussing (he has a very hard time sleeping w/o me).
I really don't know how I'd sleep if it wasn't for it. Every eve after DS goes down I love to hang out w/DH, smoke, and eat dinner. That gets me so sleepy and I go right to bed

The bad news is that the batch we have pretty much makes me sleepy anytime I smoke it. I have noticed, though, if I don't eat it makes me much less tired, does this happen to anyone else? It's like smoking+eating=sleepy

#71 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by yippiehippie View Post
You could try it in tea...there's lots of recipes for it on the internet, I tried it once when I was really sick and I didn't even want to vape bc my throat hurt so bad. It was gross, but I used left over vap, so good bud prob wouldn't be that bad. Some ppl say you can steep it directly in the tea for a long time and mix the tea w/milk or cream for the fat.
That's a good idea to freeze it and just use when you need it

So recently mj has been my magic sleep aid...I've always used it if i wake during the night, but, recently i've been waking in the middle of the night almost every night and can't sleep
. So I sneak into the living rm and smoke until I hear LO fussing (he has a very hard time sleeping w/o me).
I really don't know how I'd sleep if it wasn't for it. Every eve after DS goes down I love to hang out w/DH, smoke, and eat dinner. That gets me so sleepy and I go right to bed

The bad news is that the batch we have pretty much makes me sleepy anytime I smoke it. I have noticed, though, if I don't eat it makes me much less tired, does this happen to anyone else? It's like smoking+eating=sleepy

That sounds exactly like what we do.
Baby goes to sleep, I sneak away from bed (we co-sleep) smoke with DH, relax and watch movie or something, then later take the dog for a walk and smoke right before bedtime for the grownups!

I find the when I smoke and eat I completely want to pass out, although it does depend on the mj we are smoking. Sometimes we just get some that literally sucks all the energy out of my bones and I can barely pull myself off my butt. Not my favorite to use because I really don't want to feel that way every time I smoke, just some of the time!

smoking+eating+eating+eating=sleepy....If i can not go crazy on the munchie scale I tend to be less tired.

#74 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
It doesn't make me sleepy at all, really. Relaxed yes, but as a sleep aid it doesn't work at all for me. Then again, I suffer from very severe insomnia.

that must be especially annoying when it works so well for a lot of people!

I don't have trouble sleeping but I tend to have extreme dreams/nightmares on almost a nightly basis and I find that if I smoke right before I go to sleep it allows me to have dreamless (or at least I don't remember them or have lucid dreams) sleep for a good portion of the night. It is so helpful to me in that way.

#75 ·
DH says the same about the dreams; he never remembers his dreams (he smokes all the time) but says when he hasn't had any he always remembers them, weird.

I do remember, maybe it was the spring thread, that someone said you can tell the kind of high you'll get by the color of the weed. she said that red hairs means a tired high and our weed totally has red in it! I wish I had a card (and lived in a "friendly" state) so I could have a couple different kinds at once depending on what I need it for. Someday...

#76 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by yippiehippie View Post
I do remember, maybe it was the spring thread, that someone said you can tell the kind of high you'll get by the color of the weed.
That's so interesting, I've always wondered about that! I'd like to hear more.
I'm fascinated by weed science. Okay, I'm fascinated by *all* science, but putting science and herb together combines two of my favorite things.

The dream thing is interesting; I find that my dreams are, if anything, more lucid when I go to bed high.
Maybe my brain is just backwards...
It definitely reduces the chance of nightmares, though-- I have fabulously happy dreams on the green stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.