Mothering Forum banner

Summer Cannabis Mamas and MJ Lovers

22K views 318 replies 59 participants last post by  Partaria 
#1 ·
Welcome to Summer Cannabis Mamas and MJ Lovers

Our Standing Message:
Our purpose is to Support, Educate & Share information regarding the Many Common & UnCommon Uses and Abuses of Cannabis/Marijuana.

We speak about News Currents, Media, "Medical" Marijuana, State Legislation, Parenting, Breastfeeding, Legal Issues, Spirituality, Plant Uses and Preparations, Opinion, Fact and Truth.

We promote the use of this wonderful Medicinal Plant for Appetite Stimulant, Spiritual Centering, Treating the symptoms of Morning Sickness, Chronic pain, Glaucoma and possibly Curing/Reversing Cancer, AIDS etc... Countless Citizens find this plant medically useful and less harmful than disease causing prescription and over the counter DRUGS.

We are also discussing Hemp another misunderstood plant & seed, which has many wonderful non-medicinal uses < Fiber, Fuel, Plastics, Nutritional Value etc...> This is also illegal to cultivate in much of the U.S.
Also the subjects of spending less money on the "WAR" against Marijuana.
Many governments attempt to mis-inform and discourage Right Education and Safe Access to Marijuana. We Say... Use all things in harmony with yourself and others.

As this is a public forum and may be viewed by anyone with internet access, please be mindful what you post on this topic. Everyone has different comfort levels and we don't want to discourage anyone from joining us.

Welcome to our forum, newcomers, and enjoy!

Resource List under construction, PM me for suggestions

Cannabis and Pregnancy

Common Treatments for Hyperemesis Gravidarum

Use of Marijuana During Pregnancy

Women and Cannabis

Women and Cannabis google books

Dr. Melanie Dreher, reefer reseacher

Cannabis and Children

Is Marijuana a Valuable Treatment for Autism?

Cannabis Reduces Infant Mortality

Mother Explains Why She Gives Pot to her 9 Year Old Autistic Son

Cannabis Legality

The NORML State Guide to Marijuana Laws

Drug War Facts

Drug Policy Alliance

Clinical Studies and Medical Marijuana

International Association for Cannabinoid Medicines

How Cannabis Works on the Brain

Medical Marijuana News and Information

Women's Alliance for Medical Marijuana

ProCon, non-profit public charity

American Medical Marijuana Association

Marijuana Policy Project

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies

American Civil Liberties Union

Canadian Links

Why Prohibition

Cannabis Culture Magazine

See less See more
#77 ·
Here's the page, from Chirp on #106...wonder whatever happened to chirp, she had lots of good info it seems. Anyway, it's interesting, I keep meaning to look it up, but of course i don't have much choice in what i buy/smoke anyway. Someday when we buy a house i'll def try growing my own

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1211297&page=6

#78 ·
BTW: I'm sure at least some of you know me. Or have spotted me around the boards. I'm the resident trouble maker and MDC's token gay man.

Pot for me is recreation most of the time, but it also helps keep me off of prozac as I have OCD and depressive episodes. Been smoking for about 10 years maybe, and I live in an area of the world (and country) where no one really cares who enjoys weed now and then.

#79 ·
Hey everyone..subbing--thanks for the message ~D~

Quote:

Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
If ever I have enough on hand to make some budder, I will definitely try to make something for my mother. Of course, I would NEVER EVER EVER sneak her something without her knowledge.
We've discussed it and she's certainly amenable to trying it for her health issues, she's just unable (and unwilling) to smoke. She's also a type II diabetic, so brownies wouldn't go over well (and just as importantly they would be an irresistible temptation for my niece, who could eat the better part of a pan of brownies before she was even conscious of doing it
).

That is something I wanted to ask about, though. Has anyone used budder or something similar in a non-carbohydrate-based food? It's not just the sugar in brownies but the flour which would cause problems, and she has enough trouble regulating her blood sugar under normal circumstances that I would be very uncomfortable trying to help her sort out what was high/low blood sugar and what was the normal effect of herb.

we're making an olive oil infusion this time around...this way i can have heady salad dressing!!!

#80 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
BTW: I'm sure at least some of you know me. Or have spotted me around the boards. I'm the resident trouble maker and MDC's token gay man.

Pot for me is recreation most of the time, but it also helps keep me off of prozac as I have OCD and depressive episodes. Been smoking for about 10 years maybe, and I live in an area of the world (and country) where no one really cares who enjoys weed now and then.
I wouldn't say you are a trouble maker...I seem to recall myself agreeing numerous posts you have made. Honestly if it was between prozac and smoking to help me out I would take smoking any day of the week, then again I do take it every day of the week pretty much so I guess it wouldn't make a difference to me.

D I saw that discussion and had been following it. I am always interested in that type of discussion in the teen forum, you can always be sure to see some major over-reaction in some way. It never fails. Then again my attitude toward the whole thing is definitely skewed and I always get super annoyed when someone brings up the whole "gateway drug" thing. If that was even true I think there would be a lot a lot more crack addicts running around considering how many people in the world reguarly smoke mj or at least have tried it a few times...Sigh ignorance

I have never considered using olive oil?! that sounds intriguing. I personally am a huge fan of the mj frosting which I have made a cake with before. the problem with that is that the whole cake usually never lasts more than a day!

#81 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chirp View Post
we're making an olive oil infusion this time around...this way i can have heady salad dressing!!!
:doh Of course! I actually used olive oil the first time I cooked the resin out of my pipes. I don't use salad dressing (I like my vegetables to taste like vegetables
) which is why I didn't think of it, but my mom does so that would be perfect.

#82 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chirp View Post
Hey everyone..subbing--thanks for the message ~D~

sounds yummy!! Care to share your recipe, pleeease?

#83 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
:doh Of course! I actually used olive oil the first time I cooked the resin out of my pipes. I don't use salad dressing (I like my vegetables to taste like vegetables
) which is why I didn't think of it, but my mom does so that would be perfect.

How did you do this? I never thought of it, always just scraped the resin and cleaned my pieces in alcohol.

Welcome back, chirp, missed ya

#84 ·
Hi! I have had to remove a few posts from this discussion. Please do not post about other threads or the behavior/choices of other members here at MDC.

Please feel free to repost your replies, but leave out any mention of other threads/discussions here at MDC.

Thanks!

tinybutterfly

#85 ·
I don't have any kids. (Currently pregnant)

I don't know that I would have much of a problem with kids being into pot, except for the illegality of it. I know it doesn't agree with a lot of people, so I would never encourage someone to do it who doesn't like it, but I truly feel that except for the inhaling burning matter, and the fact that it is intoxicating so you shouldn't smoke before driving or chainsawing, there isn't a damn thing wrong with pot.

I actually spoke with a guy (I work in research) who has been studying the effects of mj on the brain for 20 years. Funded by the government agencies, to find out harmful things about it. He says in 20 years of studying chronic teen smokers, people currently high, people who have smoked most of their lives, they cannot find anything bad it does to you. And keep in mind he gets his money to do this from the very people who want to find evidence to support the drug war! He said he would rather his kids (adults now) smoke pot than alcohol any day.

If I had a kid today, and he or she was smoking, I would have a very very serious talk about how serious it is to get busted, but really that is the only problem with pot that I have.

#86 ·
Pot is illegal because it's bad for you and bad for you because it's illegal. Or so I've been told. It's just really hard to argue with that logic because the people who use it don't see the flaw screaming at you from the most basic phrasing of their logic.

#88 ·
I have a question here for anyone with small children/babies.
How do you handle MJ around your LO? Do you only partake when they are asleep? Do you go to sleep after partaking and co-sleep with your LO? I ask because I grapple with occasional bouts of guilt about being a terrible mom because DH and I will smoke outside while DD is napping and then she will wake up and we'll play and hang out with her like normal. I mean, we aren't blowing smoke rings in DD's face by any means and we NEVER ever smoke inside the house even when it is raining but I feel like some people would be horrified and outraged at what we do. I never drive high, I don't even like to go anywhere at all high just hang out at home but I still get this guilt. So how do you handle it around your LO? I am curious because if people are smoking/vaping/eating mj every day here at some point you must be high around your kid right?

#89 ·
We have family close by, all of whom love our kids and who our kids love, so more often than not DS and DD are staying with my mom or dad when we smoke. If they are home, it's never before bed since DS does sleep with us still. I have been high around the kids, but then I have also been on Prozac around the kids which has in the past put me in a state of sever drowsiness. Pot's never done that. I don't have to worry that my mind will be too fogged with the need for sleep to appropriately attend to my children.

#90 ·
I co-sleep and usually smoke before bed. We do it after he's in bed and I stay up, smoke, eat, watch TV and then usually bed. We never have stuff strong enough that lasts very long and, although it helps me sleep, it doesn't put me in a deep sleep. I wake up at every sound he makes and many times when he makes no sound
...I awake a lot during the night (I've suffered from mild insomnia off and on for years) and will sometimes go into the living rm to take a puff.
We do smoke in the house, but if DS is around I vap and DH goes in another rm (doesn't like to vap).

I've done so much research and heard from so many others that I don't feel guilty. Sometimes I really think I can take care of him better when high on days that he's fussy all day, but I rarely do during the day anyway. If I ever felt unconfident about caring for him or saw any change in him from when i smoke (for breastfeeding purposes) I wouldn't do it. So many ppl drink a glass or two of wine in the eve and I don't think this is much different, if not better

#91 ·
oh my, i better peep my two-bits in here before I loose track! oh no, i missed the parts that had to be removed, thats not good, love love love.

I was wondering moderators...perhaps mdc has a statement on our thread? I assume because marijuana being a natural plant and herb follows suit with natural family living it is allowed to be discussed on the site, is there a opinion or limitations that we should all know about? I just dont want to cross any lines, I'd appreciate it

Musiciandad, coming from your go jays go in your member thing, your from TO, i do find people up here dont care to much about weed.

I have to be honest, I know barely anything about cooking and baking with mj, to my understanding you need a little more on hand, and that doesnt happen often lol Im worried ill mess it up, or it will just be for "taste" and no effect, and then thats a waste of money.

I feel, and I have thought about this alot actually, if I found out if my babe was smoking pot when he was a teenager, I wouldnt feel it was the end of the world, I am still a little undecided to be honest. Yes, I would much much rather him being toking than getting drunk. I think Id be concerned about where hes getting it, who hes smoking it with and how its affecting his life. I would never smoke with him, I just cant-- I thought maybe when hes a father of his own, its like eh, alright.

Ahh, i knew the whole, so...where and how do we all smoke would come up! I have, with other people and supervison around lit up when babe was awake, outside of course, Ill be honest. But never on my own, I do feel guilty. So maybe once a day, around 12-1pm, I am out on my daily walk and if he does dozes off, Im prepared with my herbs. I know some people would flip out! if they knew i was high around the baby, I think thats the only reason i feel guilty. I agree though with my fellow hippie (yippiehippie), if I saw any changes in my behaviour or babe's, id cut it out. I think its your comfort level with mj and your reaction with it, and your confidence as a mom too. If you feel your doing a great job as a mom and can do a great job, or even better with a bit of herbs, then ya know, its just a bit of herbs. Its only because of the laws and being frowned upon I think is why were forced into possibly feeling guilty, but its our own lives and our children, we have a right to live it as we please.

I never am that tired from mj that I worry about not waking up, maybe back in the day when i would be smoking and smoking on a weekend night, but I would have most likely been drinking as well and it would have the been the drunk that would make me go out. Hey, if i can wake up after been sleep deprived with a newborn, a toke wouldnt do much worse.

Ldavis24,dont be so hard on yourself mj mama! Get out and enjoy yourself, dont let the guilt keep you from enjoying herbs full benefits. You are not a bad mom for using cannabis! You are open minded mum who takes time for herself and her children and is doing exactly what you should be doing in motherhood, balancing your needs and your childrens, and having fun doing it! good on ya

#92 ·
Actually I am from Vancouver. It's just that... well I love baseball and we don't have a team over here (well except for minor league Vancouver Canadians, not to be confused with the NHL team of a similar name, and they are associated with the Oakland A's).

#93 ·
Hi there! Me again, I know I don't personally partake, but DH does
. So I thought to weigh in on the "what about around the babes" standpoint. We handle it like, not around DS, like not the immediate vicinity, yk, people are talking about outside, in the bathroom with the fan on, and whatnot. That's how we roll too. Mostly it's because DS is at the "why" stage and it's just easier not to have the conversation. Secondhand smoke is a factor too, but really, with only one person whose not a super-heavy consumer, there's not any more smoke than if I burned dinner while I was cooking it -probably less, in fact, since the smoke detector never goes off!

But I don't at all feel uncomfortable if DH is watching DS and I'm gone and he partakes a bit before, say, playing trains or dress-up or Legos with DS, or taking DS out on his training-wheel-bike (which is essentially a walk, at the rate DS is moving!). They just enjoy their time together and that's great. Sometimes I put a glass of red wine in a travel mug and do the same
. And you know, people would judge me about that too. So I say, we are the best parents for our kid and that's that. Don't question it. You are not driving or otherwise endangering his life - the guilt is totally from the social taboo, in my perspective.

I would even say, for us, it's a great combo. It is convenient, if we want to go out to dinner or a date or whatever, with or without DS, then DH will partake at home, so I drive there, and then I can have a glass or two of wine as I enjoy, and he's sober in a few hours to drive home. It works nicely for us as a couple and as a family. Safe, too, IMO.

I mean, I really enjoy a glass or two or wine, and I know that's not a super-popular choice in this thread (and I agree that, addiction-wise, pot is the *much* better choice... effects on the brain and dopamine receptors, etc. etc.). It's just how I am. With panic and anxiety disorder (I have meds - xanex - for as needed but have not needed to take them for a long time... and this is a little victory - yay me!) the enhanced anxiety really got me with the herb. IMO - 100% - the social taboo and internalized guilt are a *huge* part of that. It's completely beyond my locus of control: our society has an unreasonable (economically explainable, however fallible) taboo against weed, and that makes it uncomfortable for hyper-sensitive individuals to partake, whatever their logical stance on the herb. I drink wine because people won't judge me (as much), not because it's the most healthy or appropriate way to alter my state of consciousness. Which, BTW, all humans strive to do in some way or another. It's part of what makes us human.

Hope I'm still welcome in the conversation, even though I'm technically an outsider!
I find the whole altered states of consciousness conversation fascinating and fulfilling.

Non-sequitor - I will say, in regards to the cooking and butter and olive oil and rubbing alcohol conversation, the thing to remember is that the THC is fat soluble, and not water soluble. That means that making tea does not work - the chemical compounds break down. This is why you cook the plant in oil or butter - the compounds stay intact and (in the case of butter) solidify into the mass, which is why it works so well, stays so long, and concentrations are decent. I've never heard of how it works with olive oil, only with saturated fats like butter. So technically (not to be gross, and I would never do this!) but lard or or bacon fat or margarine or shortening or whatever - these would technically work well too.

#94 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MovnMama View Post
Hope I'm still welcome in the conversation, even though I'm technically an outsider!
I find the whole altered states of consciousness conversation fascinating and fulfilling.
MovnMama, you are MOST welcome here! We are non-judgmental in this tribe and are glad to have you
Personally, I find nothing at all wrong with how you describe the way you enjoy your glass of wine. I like wine much more than it likes me, TBH. I get horrid headaches from it! I get along much better with an icy Heineken, but I can't imagine drinking at 10:30 in the morning. My body reacts much differently to alcohol so I reserve that for the rare occasions when I don't have work or school.

As far as my personal situation with DD & DS, I had posted something earlier but it was removed with all the others (not really sure why b/c I hadn't referenced the other thread or anything)

Quote:

So technically (not to be gross, and I would never do this!) but lard or or bacon fat or margarine or shortening or whatever - these would technically work well too.
I wonder about coconut oil? It's saturated fat, no? Much more versatile I bet for both cooking & baking - I mean olive oil would be mighty unpleasant in a chocolate dessert, but coconut oil would be ok and wouldn't coconut oil blend well in savory dishes?

#95 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~D~ View Post
I wonder about coconut oil? It's saturated fat, no? Much more versatile I bet for both cooking & baking - I mean olive oil would be mighty unpleasant in a chocolate dessert, but coconut oil would be ok and wouldn't coconut oil blend well in savory dishes?

~D~ thanks for the welcome!

Today is your lucky day because, you all may not know, but my husband has been a cook/chef for almost 10 years! We don't really make the budder, but I enlisted his knowledge of cooking and chemical rxns for this question.

So the deal is, according to him, this (as PP probably know) works fine with olive oil, but the worry is the smoking point of the oil. So all saturated and unsaturated fats work, but if the oil smokes you are 1. risking fire and 2. ruining the flavor and consistency of the oil. So with coconut oil, should work fine. He just wanted to make sure you are not using coconut milk, which would, in his words, "just be weird." With all the oils, just watch your temps.

Hope this helps. Have a great night!

#97 ·
Quote:

So I say, we are the best parents for our kid and that's that. Don't question it. You are not driving or otherwise endangering his life - the guilt is totally from the social taboo, in my perspective.
Welcome.
I totally agree-- it's all about the social taboo. Red wine gives me migraines; I find herb much easier on my system physically than any kind of alcohol, actually. If only it was as easy to find! In Pennsylvania it's a pain in the ass to buy alcohol (much moreso than in most states) but I'd be willing to deal with only being able to buy it at the state store and having to be there between certain hours on certain days if it meant I could have it on hand.

Being high around the kids isn't much of an issue when I don't have anything, but I've got to say: People take ridiculously powerful pharmaceuticals and they don't think twice about being around their children even though several are known to increase, say, precipitous rage episodes or homicidal ideation. It kind of nauseates me that people feel *safer* taking Paxil and Prozac around their children than they would smoking weed.

I suffer from severe insomnia (I've slept for five hours of the past 50). When I need to sleep, I need to take pills-- 20 mg of Ambien and two NyQuil Liquicaps. The pills allow me to sleep, but they don't put me into a coma or anything and I still co-sleep (safely) with my two year old. Marijuana helps a lot of people to sleep, but it doesn't do it in the completely unnatural way that Ambien does; If it helped me to sleep, I would be much MUCH more comfortable using it than the pills. Actually, it's been long enough that it might make me drowsy next time I smoke (though knowing me that will only work for a few days) and I'd vastly prefer it to the pills. None of you have anything to feel guilty about.
s

Quote:
I drink wine because people won't judge me (as much), not because it's the most healthy or appropriate way to alter my state of consciousness. Which, BTW, all humans strive to do in some way or another. It's part of what makes us human.
Exactly.

Quote:
Non-sequitor - I will say, in regards to the cooking and butter and olive oil and rubbing alcohol conversation, the thing to remember is that the THC is fat soluble, and not water soluble.
True on the butter and olive oil. THC is also alcohol soluble, but I'd strongly advise against using rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol. Please don't use any kind of alcohol that human beings wouldn't be willing to drink! If you're not going to drink or cook with the alcohol, just use the cheapest vodka you can find.

Resin is crystallized THC, and what leaves the sticky black mess on your pieces. You can smoke or eat it and it will definitely do the trick-- everyone I know does resin hits when they're having supply problems. (I'm out of resin, too.
) Eating it will give you the poops, but the high lasts longer; It also tastes *wretched*, so you have to put it in something with a LOT of flavor. I prefer to smoke resin.

Quote:
Any cooking oil will work, and any natural fat. You could, say, cut the fat off of a lamb chop and use that. It'd be delicious.

#98 ·
Quote:

Sometimes I put a glass of red wine in a travel mug and do the same
lol i laughed when I read this, its funny. I did that at this really boring retail job sometimes, Id start after lunch and pop a cooler in a waterbottle and bring it along side

I think most, but not all you know, enjoy a drink once and a while. I love dark beer and citrus coolers. Im used to having wine maybe a couple of times a week with dinner, but I really dont drink anymore because I dont get to sit and enjoy it, just like coffee, it winds up cold by the time Im done. Maybe when LO is a bit older I can enjoy it more often, but now Im lucky if I get half the beer drank, normally it goes in the fridge for the next day. Its really nice to hear that you and your DH have a great "system" worked out for treating yourself. I think the difference between alcohol conscious altering and cannabis is hugely different, remember that bob marley interview where he says alcohol just makes you drunk, you cant meditate (along those lines) i agree, I think alcohol makes your body numb compared to heightening your senses with cannabis, Instead of picking up the small details in your surroundings, you stumble over them. I enjoy alcohol for the taste and good company, and maybe the warm bubblies you get too, but not for the state altering, i like being high but not so much being drunk.

Oh vancouver musiciandad, well, the jays are doing good so far, we'll unfortunetly see how long it lasts. I was just gonna say something like you did, were all too happy to put negative vibes out there, and id like to think were more of a liberal bunch considering were discussing mj on a mothering website hehe

well im grabbing some bud today, but im working alot this week so I think it will just be sitting in the baggy

#99 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
'Course we are... We're feelin' too good to judge!
You have no idea how much I
this tribe!!! I'm stressed because I am having a tough time getting my creative juices flowing, mostly due to my lack of herbs at the moment, and visiting this tribe makes me feel so much better!

#100 ·
Ok I'm glad I asked the question about feeling like a bad parent. I should have clarified we NEVER smoke in the house because we live with our MIL right now and she'd flip her s*** if she saw us smoking. Nothing like making a grown woman feel like a teenager when she has to hide her smoking from someone she lives with. Sigh. Anyway, we do smoke as well when DD is awake but we certainly keep it away from her and honestly, I feel more attentive after I smoke sometimes than I had previously.

It's almost like I get a reset on myself and it puts in me in a much better mood, more attentive, more playful, less stressed out. I have never ever found it to affect DD or my breast milk at all. I guess the guilt comes from the occasional look I get from other people who know I smoke, or watch me smoke. We were at a friend's house with DD and we all took turns going into another part of the house to smoke to keep it away from DD and then this girl's roommate came in and I never felt like a such terrible parent as I felt then from the look she gave DH and I...Awful,

thanks for the kind words canadianhippie. DH says I worry too much about stuff like that, to which I reply why do you think I smoke so much!

Oh, I have to brag a little bit because next weekend we are going to a certain place where we are certain to make several delicious purchases of the herbal variety which DH and I can enjoy for several weeks to come.

Where we live isn't exactly a hotspot of good quality mj so this trip we take once a year (missed it last year because DD was only a few weeks old) is a big deal for us for that reason amongst many others!

#101 ·
Quote:

Non-sequitor - I will say, in regards to the cooking and butter and olive oil and rubbing alcohol conversation, the thing to remember is that the THC is fat soluble, and not water soluble. That means that making tea does not work - the chemical compounds break down. This is why you cook the plant in oil or butter - the compounds stay intact and (in the case of butter) solidify into the mass, which is why it works so well, stays so long, and concentrations are decent. I've never heard of how it works with olive oil, only with saturated fats like butter. So technically (not to be gross, and I would never do this!) but lard or or bacon fat or margarine or shortening or whatever - these would technically work well too.
Welcome to the tribe, who cares if you partake or not. And, yes, I like my occasional glass of wine or beer too. (actually used to be a heavy drinker before DS).
About the rubbing alcohol, I think I wasn't clear. I meant I clean my pieces with that, never ingest it-yuk
! Tea is actually quite popular in some places, it does work, but that's why I said you need something fatty in it while seeping (milk, cream, butter, etc.). It does need to seep for quite a while (keeping it hot), but is a great alternative if you're sick or too lazy to get on the stove for some budder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.