Nerd parents, I know you're out there - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 107 Old 08-10-2011, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I guess I am somewhat of a nerd as well. DH and I game together as much as we can (whenever DS is asleep) and lately we have been obsessively watching Sherlock Holmes. We're both crazy about legos and can't wait until we can share our collection with DS. DH is in school for mechanical engineering and I'm majoring in anthropology (thinking about adding math for a double major!).

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 107 Old 08-10-2011, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We museum folks love librarians!!  And, DH and I adore Doctor Who.  When we finally get a place to live, I'd love to meet up!  Right now I'm looking at Falls Church and Arlington, but we're still feeling our way around via internet at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius aspiring View Post

Not a mama yet, but just popping in to say DH and I are near NOVA. We're both librarians and love Doctor Who. I think we're more on the geek side of things, but I just wanted to say wave.gif.

#93 of 107 Old 08-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

I am definitely a nerd. I asked for a microscope for my 8th birthday.

Let's see... The ringtone on my cell phone is the Monty Python's Flying Circus theme song. All of the children's books I own are in Latin. I play WoW. Back when we had cable, I got the more expensive package, just so we could get the Science channel. I think it's the only one we ever watched. Now, we just watch documentaries and Ancient Aliens on Netflix.

I'm more of a science nerd. My husband is more of a history and outdoors-y/survivalist type nerd. 

We are very close to DC/NOVA, too! smile.gif

Another DC/NOVA family--yay!  My husband is the one who loves his books in Latin.  He's very proud of his Harry Potter version (though he's not yet learned to read it!)  Good to know there are folks around.  Hopefully we can meet some when we get there!

#94 of 107 Old 08-11-2011, 12:15 PM

Oh, hi!

That would be awesome.

I found this Doctor Who onesie on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/77929790/doctor-who-little-timelord-handmade and there's a cute t-shirt on Threadless: http://www.threadless.com/product/2899/Doctor_Hoo/tab,guys/style,shirt. I always think 10 looks a little tweaked.

My other geek interests include a lot of sci-fi tv: BSG, Firefly, Star Trek, Stargate, Eureka, The X-Files, probably a few more I'm forgetting about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay-at-om-mom View Post

We museum folks love librarians!!  And, DH and I adore Doctor Who.  When we finally get a place to live, I'd love to meet up!  Right now I'm looking at Falls Church and Arlington, but we're still feeling our way around via internet at the moment.

#95 of 107 Old 08-11-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius aspiring View Post

Oh, hi!

That would be awesome. We live in Fredericksburg, but it's no trouble for me to get to NOVA. I wish I could help you navigate around, but I'm really only familiar with a little part of Alexandria. Good luck with moving and finding the right place!

I found this Doctor Who onesie on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/77929790/doctor-who-little-timelord-handmade and there's a cute t-shirt on Threadless: http://www.threadless.com/product/2899/Doctor_Hoo/tab,guys/style,shirt. I always think 10 looks a little tweaked.

My other geek interests include a lot of sci-fi tv: BSG, Firefly, Star Trek, Stargate, Eureka, The X-Files, probably a few more I'm forgetting about.

That onesie is awesome!  We're with you on all those shows.  The new BSG was especially amazing.  And, I think Daniel Jackson is adorable.  In fact, I have a thing for what we started calling "action nerds" -- which is what I would call my husband, too.  It may still be a month or so before we start the move to the east coast, but I'll keep in touch with crunchy, fun & geeky folks out there I hope to meet!

#96 of 107 Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 PM

September/October is a great time to move out here. It's just starting to cool off from the 90% humidity we usually have during summer. Oh, and the tree are absolutely beautiful during the fall.

Daniel Jackson is quite adorable with those glasses of his. winky.gif  I always had a thing for Jack, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay-at-om-mom View Post

That onesie is awesome!  We're with you on all those shows.  The new BSG was especially amazing.  And, I think Daniel Jackson is adorable.  In fact, I have a thing for what we started calling "action nerds" -- which is what I would call my husband, too.  It may still be a month or so before we start the move to the east coast, but I'll keep in touch with crunchy, fun & geeky folks out there I hope to meet!

#97 of 107 Old 08-30-2011, 12:17 PM

Ohhhh ohh can I join? I'm totally nerdy, as is my DP. We both love watching documentaries, in fact that's all we watch. I love to read. I'm totally into conspiracy theories and other things nerdy, I think this is the place for me :)

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)
~Attachment, co-sleeping parents to CJ (10/08)~ Mama to an angel baby born at 25.5 weeks Sophie (01/10)

#98 of 107 Old 09-07-2011, 04:49 PM

So, there are a lot of nerds in NOVA, for sure.  DH and I count, but I never wanted children's books in Latin until now...  DD is a Latin nerd...  Well, she's 13, but picturing Dr. Seuss in Latin right about now...  We own several of the Teaching Company courses...  DH in particular likes a couple of the profs.  They are centered here in Northern Virginia, as well.  I started midwifery school and I have less time for watching/listening to a lecture from TC :(  but I watch lots of birth videos.  :) 

#99 of 107 Old 09-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Hi, Bekka!--another NOVA nerd!  We've just about picked out a place in Fairfax to move in to.  So glad someone else loves Teaching Company.  I used to listen to far more of their CDs when I had a commute, but DH and I have discovered that the DVD versions have gotten even better.  If you've started midwifery school in the area, I may want to sound you out for you ideas on local hospitals/midwifes/birth centers.  I've had good input from some folks so far, but will really need to find the right fit (insurance and philosophy) when I get out there.

#100 of 107 Old 10-20-2011, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Just stumbled on this. For Star Wars crowd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCjMGOvMghY&NR=1&feature=fvwp
#101 of 107 Old 10-24-2011, 04:13 PM

Just subbing because I'm another nerdy mom here :)

Wife to PJ. Mommy to Jacob, Summer, & Owen.
#102 of 107 Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Howdy!

Let's see...DH is the DnD/comic book/video game/model building nerd, and I'm the documentary/researchy/grammar nerd.  We both love scifi (but not syfy).  :D  DD (who's 4.5) has had her own laptop since she was about 2, beats me at video games, tells me when it feels like food got stuck in her 'sophagus, and complains about her diaphragm when she has the hiccups.  She also likes spaceships and zombies.  And dragons.  :D  DS is too little to be a nerd yet, but give me some time... Oh...and is it really that weird to buy a microscope for yourself before you have kids?  I need to dig that thing up--I bet DD would love it.

#103 of 107 Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Talk like a pirate day is a favorite with my house geeklings. And this year you can get free donuts at Krispy Kreme if you go dressed up!

http://krispykreme.com/Upload/Pdfs/TalkLikeaPirate.pdf
#104 of 107 Old 09-18-2012, 01:26 PM

hola.gif

I'm a scifi/fantasy/DnD/Shadowrun/video game/graphic novel-loving and bookworm geek : ) Hubby is all of the above, and a history nerd to boot! 

Nak atm but I'll post more after I get caught up!

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

#105 of 107 Old 10-22-2012, 03:16 PM

Family of nerds/geeks here :P  Husband is a gamer, I'm a bit of one (moreso since meeting him lol). Nursery theme is space and why yes, I do want to paint the nursery door to look like a tardis!

#106 of 107 Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 AM

Whole family of geeks here. Hubby is a professional Linux geek -- of the type that people ask him what he does for a living and then no one understands the answer. wink1.gif I'm just an amateur computer geek, but we are both into sci-fi / fantasy, comic books, computer games (him more than me -- I had to quit after getting way too obsessed with WoW), tabletop games, etc.

As someone with Social Anxiety Disorder, it amazes me how much of geek life is social. In some ways, that makes me feel sad, because I missed out on so much as a kid. But more than that it's awesome, because online fan communities, in game chats, game nights with friends, and even going up to the comic book store have all become safe little avenues for me to practice being social.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#107 of 107 Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
/delurk - yay for tardis nursery! I'm totally going to do that. I think this is the tribe for me smile.gif I'm a huge sci fi/fantasy nut, Trekkie, all around bookworm and Anglophile. also a table-topper, larper and cosplayer. hubby does all that plus videogames and carries an encyclopedic knowledge of comic books in his brain smile.gif we are about to TTC for the first time, and I know our kid is gonna have the most fun childhood ever, lol!

Me 31, married to Wolf since 09/10. baby #1 due May 3!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page