Nerd parents, I know you're out there - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 107 Old 07-22-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You just read Nurtureshock. Your Netflix queue is full of documentaries. Maybe you listen to RadioLab.

Anybody else?

My lastest nerd highlight: I was just visiting a friend who bought herself a microscope, just for a fun, just to look at all kinds of things from her environment. I think this is the greatest idea, and I want one for myself.

How about you?
BeckyBird and Venezia like this.

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#2 of 107 Old 07-22-2010, 02:02 PM

I'm more of a geek than a nerd but hi!

I had a microscope as a child just for that reason. I would look at ALL sorts of things under it.

My hubby bought me this shirt for Mothers Day and I get a kick out of the fact that it is almost correct

our Netflix Queue is full of all sorts of different things, but mostly mythbusters, dirty job, and various other shows like that that we have already seen EVERY episode of but want to watch again...
BettinaAuSucre and jksmith like this.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 107 Old 07-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Total nerd parents here. In our case we are history nerds. I'm a medievalist (death and dying in late medieval England) and my DH does "Late-Victorian London's Public Health System."

Our kid is only a year old, but I am really excited that he already loves books. I hope that sticks, since it was my #1 hope for my kid. We don't have a TV so our whole living room is cramed full of books instead.

We also sing lots of They Might Be Giants songs to him. We are planning on taking him to his first TMBG concert soon...I'm so excited!!

Radiolab rocks. So does This American Life. DH's favorite is Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Oh and Science Fridays .
#4 of 107 Old 07-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
We also sing lots of They Might Be Giants songs to him. We are planning on taking him to his first TMBG concert soon...I'm so excited!!
WOO HOO! Im excited for him!

my kids love singing Why Does the Sun Shine?

I also have every single Schoolhouse Rock song I could buy on my iPod for them to listen to!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 107 Old 07-22-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
DH does "Late-Victorian London's Public Health System."
That sounds AMAZING. I want to hang out with him and ask him questions.

We love TMBG! My husband bought the HERE COMES SCIENCE album when we were pregnant. We would drive around and sing "I am a paleontologist" to the unborn baby.

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#6 of 107 Old 07-22-2010, 02:50 PM

We are medieval history nerds, love TMBG, thinkgeek t-shirts and NPR shows too. Yay. Within arms reach I have a ton of medieval history books, a bunch of D&D manuals and a lot of Joss Whedon related material. I wish that there was more SciFi that we could share with DDs. DD1 is 4 and love the Backyardigans episode Robot Rampage I think because DH and I loved it for all the references.

DD1 came home from preschool with pictures she had cut out of a magazine (their project that day.) She was excited to find medieval things. I think it was a Smithsonian. She had a picture of a chalice and a tapestry.

I got my nieces and nephews an Eyeclopes. It attaches to the TV and magnifies things. It is somewhat more kid friendly than a traditional microscope (which we have too.)
#7 of 107 Old 07-22-2010, 02:54 PM

Hehe! DS is going to be Dr Horrible for Halloween! And DH is going to be Captain Hammer!
Venezia likes this.

#8 of 107 Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, my nerdery is complete with two great geeklings.

Around town here there are science lectures, observatories, classical music concerts, and lots of other mind expanding stuff.

We supplement with documentaries, sci-fi shows and they have an electronics kit. My son recently replaced his own burnt out light switch. My daughter is designing clothes for people of the future who resemble the Elfquest elves.

Each year we spend three days at a sci-fi convention where we game, listen to more lectures and dress up like cool characters.
#9 of 107 Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 PM

When TMBG came here, it was a 21-and-up show.

DD1 has her own microscope already, and is always begging DH to watch old Tom Baker Dr. Who episodes with her.

We play Munchkin and Fluxx far more often than I'll freely admit.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#10 of 107 Old 07-23-2010, 01:18 AM

Science nerds here with a nerdling in the making. We actually debated probability distributions of pee when deciding how many crib bedding sets we'd need. (the answer - 0, DS sleeps with us)
I hope DS will sing along to Tom Lehrer. We are also looking forward to science projects and will definitely have a microscope, and construction sets that require wiring.
Oh, we're huge BSG fans too.

sleepytime.gif
#11 of 107 Old 07-23-2010, 02:01 AM

We are here too . One of my BF in college actually went to HS and graduated with TMBG. We have SchoolHouse Rock on DVD, my 11 yo DS's team went to the state Lego Robotics competition, DH is a microbiologist who collects comic books and I know so much esoteric crap that no one will play trivial pursuit with me. All dd's friends think we are the cool parents. Oh yeah - we have one that is not "one of us" . He is an elite hockey player but he does give us lots of cool bacteria for science fairs. My brother's hockey gear is grosser than a public toilet (in a college town) was one of our favorites.
#12 of 107 Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 AM

well, hi!!!!
Love the idea of a microscope. I'm going to try to find one now... this place gives me such ideas.
What TMBG records are you playing for your babes? i know there are kids ones, the one i listened to in high school was flood, that's the only one i remember.
just for fun, i'll share the goodwill find of the century. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/...eac6e5e3_b.jpg
I love books. all kinds. my hubby is a history nerd and a brew nerd...

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#13 of 107 Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post
My brother's hockey gear is grosser than a public toilet (in a college town) was one of our favorites.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#14 of 107 Old 07-23-2010, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh yes, Schoolhouse Rock. We have all those.

We also did the Beethoven's Wig stuff so the kids would recognize famous classical pieces.

But somehow.. mind is not parsing TMBG .. what is that?
#15 of 107 Old 07-23-2010, 02:31 PM

They Might Be Giants

I was first introduced to them through Tiny Toons lol

#16 of 107 Old 07-23-2010, 06:13 PM

....DH and I are definitely nerds. If you needed proof, we're currently in the process of organizing a weekly DnD game (since it makes no sense to play WoW when DnD is essentially free).
#17 of 107 Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 PM

"I'm more of a geek than a nerd but hi!"

I'm with this mama (^_^). More of a geek than a nerd, but all of us types should stick together haha. Anyways nice to see this tribe

~Kyra~
Army GF, Mom to Jacob(3) and Summer(1), & Furmom
#18 of 107 Old 07-23-2010, 09:18 PM

Fellow nerd checkin' in!

Natashacd.gifafro.jpg - wife to Mr. Nicholes, mom to the Cellist(13) the Ladybug(4) and the Twizzlers (2)

#19 of 107 Old 07-29-2010, 06:46 PM

I was out walking with my DD the other day (almost 3yo) and she asked what a leaf was. I responded "That is the plant's photosynthetic apparatus. The plant uses sunlight to make food and the leaves facilitate the process."

She kinda looked at me like she understood.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#20 of 107 Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 PM

I LOOOOOVE explaining things to my kids! When I could still walk, we would take a mile walk every night (cannot wait to start again, but the SPD in this pregnancy has me planted firmly at home where I can sit down when necessary) and the kids would ask me all sorts of questions about nature. I especially like the 3 nights worth of conversation about the sun.

And then, of course, played Why Does the Sun Shine? by TMBG for them... which is why they love that song so much!

#21 of 107 Old 07-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Hi!!! We are nerds here too... DH is a computer nerd, gamer, and a Trekie. I am a total history nerd, and I'm going to college to become a history teacher! I have the history channel, sci fi, or discovery channel on all the time basically! We both love video games too, especially Legend of Zelda! I am also in to fantasy things like fairies, dragons, vampires, wizardry ect... I used to play dnd and VLARP, but haven't since before I was married.

I love TMBG, but I haven't heard them in a long time! Off to find some downloads...

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#22 of 107 Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 PM

LOL Zelda... DS is trying his hardest to beat Ocarina of Time and does NOT believe that not only has DH beat it, but so have I AND so has Mammaw (my mom)... all of us several times before he was ever born!

#23 of 107 Old 07-30-2010, 03:12 PM

So, fellow nerd parents. Did you feel like the odd one out as a kid? Did you even wonder if you are condeming your kid to be the weird one out by sharing your nerdiness? This isn't exactly keeping me awake at night. I just wonder sometimes. I have lots of nerdy friends IRL so my girls will always have a community that shares our interests. I guess they'll rebel someday by reading People Magazine.
#24 of 107 Old 07-30-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masel View Post
So, fellow nerd parents. Did you feel like the odd one out as a kid? Did you even wonder if you are condeming your kid to be the weird one out by sharing your nerdiness? This isn't exactly keeping me awake at night. I just wonder sometimes. I have lots of nerdy friends IRL so my girls will always have a community that shares our interests. I guess they'll rebel someday by reading People Magazine.
Yeah, I was certainly odd one out as a kid, but it had less to do with being nerdy and more to do with being smart and socially awkward (or are those actually the same thing??).

When I was pregnant I asked my husband what his biggest dream was for his kid...and his biggest fear. He said he couldn't wait to read to him, and was terrified that he wouldn't like books!!

I'm not afraid of my kid being a nerdchild, but I am kind of afraid that he won't be.
#25 of 107 Old 07-30-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masel View Post
I didn't because I had nerdy-ish friends too!

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#26 of 107 Old 07-30-2010, 04:43 PM

LoL. DD1 has been sneaking books when she is supposed to be sleeping. She's 4! That girl needs her sleep but it is hard to be mad at her for books.
#27 of 107 Old 08-05-2010, 03:11 PM

The other day DH and I took the kids out for one of our fun-family-days and my son pointed up to the sky and goes = LOOK! Its PI!

And indeed, there was a wispy little cloud in the perfect shape of pi.

made me so happy to be his mom!

#28 of 107 Old 08-07-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalemma View Post
You just read Nurtureshock. Your Netflix queue is full of documentaries. Maybe you listen to RadioLab.

Anybody else?

My lastest nerd highlight: I was just visiting a friend who bought herself a microscope, just for a fun, just to look at all kinds of things from her environment. I think this is the greatest idea, and I want one for myself.

How about you?
Does getting out one's college calculus textbook to work problems for "fun" count? I'm willing to bet yes.

And I love documentaries, microscopes, and ""brainy" music too.

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

#29 of 107 Old 08-08-2010, 05:16 PM

YAY! Science & nature nerd here. I'm working on teaching plant families--so far, Sweetie B knows coneflowers, but whenever I break out the Latin he falls silent. . .I know he'll get there though!
Must get the Science TMBG album--the last one on my radar was "No!" which I have now lost.
Love the Science Fridays.
#30 of 107 Old 08-15-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalemma View Post

Anybody else?

How about you?
Well, my DH name our DD, Quinn because of Harley Quinn.
My bathroom is full of Comics.
We love Big Band theory (my husband is more like Leonard), his office have around 6 monitors, plus his game computer (City of Heroes) plus his home laptop, his travel laptop, my laptop, my mini laptop, our daughters laptop. He said he wanted to give our 2 year old one but I had to put my foot down on that one, at least one of us should be normal, lol.
Yeah, I think this is his tribe, lol.

SAHM, married to my geeky husband and mom of 12 year old girl and 2year old

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page