Bilinguals or Trilingual moms Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 08-17-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hola all,
I will love to add a new tribe of Bilinguals or/and Trilingual moms.
I will like to share tips in how to teach your kids 2 or more languages, help each other if we need info in how to pronounce or write words in other language, share favorite websites, review language videos, etc.
My first language is Spanish and I know English too, my husband only speak English but I think he knows more Spanish then what he makes me believe he does.
I want my kids to learn both language and if possible one more, but I am not sure how to add the 3rd., would love to hear your opinions, tips, etc.

Bienvenidas, Welcome all!!!

SAHM, married to my geeky husband and mom of 12 year old girl and 2year old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 08-17-2010, 05:30 PM

Hello,

I'm an English speaker, fluent in Spanish, and my husband is a native Spanish speaker. We've homeschooled our daughter bilingually since kindergarten- she's now in 5th grade. She wants to add German to her repertoire.

Dd 9/99 via csection. 6 lbs 10oz

Dd 1/11 via vbac. 8 lbs 10oz

11 years secondary infertility

#3 of 43 Old 08-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Well, I am not bilingual, but my boyfriend's native language is Spanish, so the plan is to teach our daughter Spanish. She is two now, and we just recently started saying things to her in Spanish. I know some of the basics in Spanish and I have also bought some bilingual preschool books and flashcards to start of. At this point, she knows some body parts, articles of clothing, and numbers 1-10. I wanted to do one parent, one language, but my boyfriend isn't putting as much effort into it, as I would like. I keep telling him that he needs to consistently speak in Spanish to her, so that she will have no choice but to try to comunicate with him like that, but he isn't doing it as much as I would like. I have also looked into some language programs that use multimedia to teach young kids. I am thinking about getting either KinderSpeak or Muzzy, so that she can learn from that, and also so I can watch and learn along with her.
#4 of 43 Old 08-17-2010, 06:19 PM

I am American and DH is French. He only speaks French with the children and I am fluent in French, so speak French with DH and both languages with the kids. They are homeschooled, and although I would say that English is their first language, they learned/are learning to read and write in French. I was worried how I was going to teach them to read in English but the two oldest just figured it out on their own.
We lived in Germany for a while but the kids didn't pick up much German as they weren't in school and we always managed to find French and English speakers. They did understand a bit.
Then we spent just three months in Italy and they picked up a lot of Italian.
I would like them to start on another language. My daughter is really interested in learning Chinese and my ds said the other day that he would like to learn Arabic.

I think it is important to speak all languages consistently. I know my DH was frustrated in the beginning when the kids would only respond in English, but he continued to speak only in French and now the older kids are completely bilingual. My almost 3yo is just now starting to use French but he understands everything when DH speaks to him.
#5 of 43 Old 08-17-2010, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renai View Post
Hello,
she's now in 5th grade. She wants to add German to her repertoire.
That is cool, why she decide German? Most girls I know (tween and teens) want to learn French. My cousing (she is 15) she learn English since young and now she is learning French. Her mom only speak Spanish, I give her extra credit for that.

#6 of 43 Old 08-17-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenofTrack View Post
I have also looked into some language programs that use multimedia to teach young kids. I am thinking about getting either KinderSpeak or Muzzy, so that she can learn from that, and also so I can watch and learn along with her.
I am having such a hard time finding any fun videos for my 2 year old (for Spanish) the best I have found is in Youtube but are very few. The other day I got the Dora cd in Barnes & Noble, I didn't put to much attention and I thought it was a DV like the show in TV but with more words, but it was just a CD, my daughter got so bored, which I don't understand because she loves Dora.
Btw, I wish Dora would speak more in Spanish, I have learn more Chines from Ni Hao Kai Lan that my daughter Spanish from Dora.

#7 of 43 Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Leopard View Post
I am American and DH is French. He only speaks French with the children and I am fluent in French, so speak French with DH and both languages with the kids. They are homeschooled, and although I would say that English is their first language, they learned/are learning to read and write in French. I was worried how I was going to teach them to read in English but the two oldest just figured it out on their own.
We lived in Germany for a while but the kids didn't pick up much German as they weren't in school and we always managed to find French and English speakers. They did understand a bit.
Then we spent just three months in Italy and they picked up a lot of Italian.
I would like them to start on another language. .
Ok, I have a couple questions
-Did you teach them to speak English but how to read and write in French?
-Do you speak Italian or they got it on their own from other kids?

I was learning some Russian at one point and wanted to teach them what I knew but I had 2 problems with that. One, that I am afraid I will get them confused and 2, that even if I could understand some stuff my accent was awful, so I was afraid to teach them wrong.

#8 of 43 Old 08-17-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoviC View Post
I am having such a hard time finding any fun videos for my 2 year old (for Spanish) the best I have found is in Youtube but are very few. The other day I got the Dora cd in Barnes & Noble, I didn't put to much attention and I thought it was a DV like the show in TV but with more words, but it was just a CD, my daughter got so bored, which I don't understand because she loves Dora.
Btw, I wish Dora would speak more in Spanish, I have learn more Chines from Ni Hao Kai Lan that my daughter Spanish from Dora.
I have found some videos on YouTube, as well. But like I had mentioned in my other post, I definitely want to try one of the multimedia learning programs, such as Kinderspeak or Muzzy. These programs start with the basics of the language and then add more concepts, so that kids can build on what they learn. My daughter also watches Dora and Diego. I have had her watch Dora just in Spanish, a couple of times, to see how she would respond to it. There is a "Nick in Espanol" feature that Optimum Cable does so that kids can watch the cartoons in Spanish. I also got a set of flashcards that teaches Spanish vocabulary and also how to say simple sentences using the vocabulary.
#9 of 43 Old 08-18-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I definitely want to try one of the multimedia learning programs, such as Kinderspeak or Muzzy. There is a "Nick in Espanol" feature that Optimum Cable does so that kids can watch the cartoons in Spanish. .
I went to youtube to check for Muzzy, it looked good, but I only could find one in Spanish (they have other in other language)
If you do buy it, please let us know your review.
I am going to check if I have the Nick in Espanol.
Have you check El Perro y el gato (HBO Latino)? My daughter likes them.
I want to put the link for them but don't know how to. I mean, I have see other people that put links but they are like hiding in a word? Do I am making sense, lol.
I should have say that my English is not that good, but I think you notice that already, lol.

#10 of 43 Old 08-20-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoviC View Post
I went to youtube to check for Muzzy, it looked good, but I only could find one in Spanish (they have other in other language)
If you do buy it, please let us know your review.
I am going to check if I have the Nick in Espanol.
Have you check El Perro y el gato (HBO Latino)? My daughter likes them.
I want to put the link for them but don't know how to. I mean, I have see other people that put links but they are like hiding in a word? Do I am making sense, lol.
I should have say that my English is not that good, but I think you notice that already, lol.
Hi YoviC, I still need to buy one of the programs. My boyfriend is the one who works so it's up to him when we will be able to buy it. They are a bit expensive and our budget is tight right now, so I might have to wait a few more weeks to get one of the programs. Right now, I am trying to find free programs online, to start with. I just found a program called Visual Link Spanish. It's not a free program, but it does offer some free basic lessons to start with, so that potential buyers can see how the program works. I am going to do the free lessons for now, so that I can learn some more of the basics in Spanish and also teach my daughter what I learn, and then once we can afford to buy a program, I'll make a decision about which one to purchase. But it seems really good. We don't get HBO, so I haven't heard about el perro y el gato, but I'll do a search and see what it's about.

I understand what you mean about the links. It's easy to make a link, you just have to click on the link icon, in the toolbar above the comment box, then paste the url into the box that pops up. This is a link for the Visual Link Spanish http://www.spanishprograms.com/sp/ab...ish_course.htm
#11 of 43 Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This is a link for the Visual Link Spanish http://www.spanishprograms.com/sp/ab...ish_course.htm
It looks good but it does is expensive.
I was thinking another good source is to get DVD from your husband country, that way they also get use to to accents and slang.
That was one of my problems when learning English, even if I could read, people would speak too fast and some would use slang, which you never learn at school, lol.

#12 of 43 Old 08-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Hey all,

I am an English speaker married to an Italian and we live in France. We speak both languages with each other but only our mother tongues to our kids. Dh is more or less fluent in French. I am working on it and dd1 attends French pre school.

We have books in both our languages and use the library for French books. Any recommendations for Italian kids dvd's? We only find alot of american stuff tranlsated, but wanted something that was actually Italian. We like "i cosi", but can't find them on dvd. Finding english dvds is not a problem.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#13 of 43 Old 08-26-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I think it is important to speak all languages consistently. I know my DH was frustrated in the beginning when the kids would only respond in English, but he continued to speak only in French and now the older kids are completely bilingual. My almost 3yo is just now starting to use French but he understands everything when DH speaks to him.
This is really good to know. Our dd1 often responds in English to dh and we were getting a bit worried. Good to know things can work themselves out.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#14 of 43 Old 08-29-2010, 05:05 PM

Hi mamas! I'd love to join, though I'm not sure if I qualify. I'm a native english speaker, currently in college, majoring in Spanish. I'd love love love for my little ones to speak spanish, I just wish I could speak more fluently to them. My mother speaks spanish fluently, but it's been a hard time getting her to only talk to my daughter in spanish. DD (3.5) knows her animals, colors, numbers, as well as a few odds and ends (stand up, left, right, clothing articles, etc.) but I'm also very interested in more multimedia that would help out. I also wish Dora spoke more spanish!!

Amri- mama to Indica 12.08.06 and Kytan 04.04.10
#15 of 43 Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 PM

Hello
My name is Joanna, both I and DH are Polish and live in US. DS is 3 and right now he speaks mainly our mother tongue, which we speak at home. He is learning some English thru everyday exposure but his vocabulary is very limited. I'm planning on homeschooling him in English so I've decided it's time to work on his second language. I'm very careful with media exposure but I do let him watch 1-2 episodes of Caillou or Backyardigans a day, which I consider his English lesson, we also read lots of books in both language. I've also stared looking for a homescholing group in our area, his English will improve quickly once he starts hanging out with English speaking children on regular basis.
I do have some fears about homeschooling DS in English, I have a pretty strong accent and my grammar will never be perfect but I do believe he will do just fine, I will just have to make sure he gets exposed to "good" English a lot.

Both I and DH speak Italian, we plan on teaching it to DS in the future

Joanna WAHM to DS 10/2007
You must be the change you wish to see - Ghandi
#16 of 43 Old 09-16-2010, 12:35 PM

Hello,
I speak english as my first language and almost fluent in spanish, and my husband is the opposite, with spanish as his first and english as his second. Our dd is 5 and speaks english and understands most spanish and is just starting to speak spanish a little too. I want dh to speak to her only in spanish but mostly he speaks to her in english, although me and dh speak in spanish with each other. I taught her most of what she knows in spanish, #'s, alphabet, animals, body parts, etc. I do worry that I don't speak perfectly in sentences in spanish and I will teach her wrong.. DD just started french immersion kindergarten, and I worry a little that spanish will be forgotten, but I am getting on dh's case to speak only in spanish with her. She has books in english and spanish and I like tout movies on in spanish for her, but sometimes she doesn't like it. But we'll keep trying I guess.

Wife to DH mom to DD(09-05) and DD(03/27).joy.gif

#17 of 43 Old 09-16-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiero a mi bebe View Post
Hello,
I speak english as my first language and almost fluent in spanish, and my husband is the opposite, with spanish as his first and english as his second. Our dd is 5 and speaks english and understands most spanish and is just starting to speak spanish a little too. I want dh to speak to her only in spanish but mostly he speaks to her in english, although me and dh speak in spanish with each other. I taught her most of what she knows in spanish, #'s, alphabet, animals, body parts, etc. I do worry that I don't speak perfectly in sentences in spanish and I will teach her wrong.. DD just started french immersion kindergarten, and I worry a little that spanish will be forgotten, but I am getting on dh's case to speak only in spanish with her. She has books in english and spanish and I like tout movies on in spanish for her, but sometimes she doesn't like it. But we'll keep trying I guess.
This kind of sounds like my story. My first language is also English, but I do know some stuff in Spanish, and that is what I have been teaching my daughter. My boyfriend's first language is Spanish, and at first, I was always nagging him to only talk to our daughter in Spanish, but he isn't putting in the effort to do that. He just goes right back to talking to her in English, and will only talk to her in Spanish if he is in a playful/happy mood. It is important to me that she learns Spanish so I was hoping that he would have taken it more seriously, but I guess it is going to come down to me getting one of those Spanish language programs for her, like i mentioned in previous posts.
#18 of 43 Old 09-22-2010, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellabaz View Post
This is really good to know. Our dd1 often responds in English to dh and we were getting a bit worried. Good to know things can work themselves out.
You know, I think it depends a lot on the child. I know a family where one (adult) child is quite proficient in their parents' native language and the other (also adult) child barely speaks it at all.

I think it can be problematic if the children hear the nondominant language but always respond in the dominant language. They may never learn to speak the nondominant although their understanding will be very good. I've seen this happen a lot, it really seems to depend on the individual kid and his/her inherent talent for languages.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#19 of 43 Old 09-22-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2timestrouble View Post
Ok, I have a couple questions
-Did you teach them to speak English but how to read and write in French?
-Do you speak Italian or they got it on their own from other kids?

I was learning some Russian at one point and wanted to teach them what I knew but I had 2 problems with that. One, that I am afraid I will get them confused and 2, that even if I could understand some stuff my accent was awful, so I was afraid to teach them wrong.

They naturally spoke English first, then started speaking French as they got older. When they were ready to learn to read we just did everything in French instead of English - alphabet, grammar, spelling, etc. I was a bit worried that it would be hard for them to learn to read in English but they just did that on their own - I don't know how!

We lived in Italy for three months. I don't speak Italian but we all kind of learned together while we were there. We had a couple of neighbors who would teach them words and let them watch Italian TV at their house. And the local shopkeepers would speak to them and teach them how to say different things like how to order an ice cream, or ask for the blue pen, or the big stuffed dog or whatever.
#20 of 43 Old 09-25-2010, 11:28 AM

our daughter (american, living in China) speaks much better Mandarin than we do! we often have to turn to her for translation she's developed a prominent Shanghai accent also, which our neighbors all find inordinately cute. we have a Chinese nanny who does not speak english, so that's an invaluable language-learning resource.

another way of learning is simply through the desire to communicate with other kids - wee ones pick up on words pretty quickly when they have something they want to say! lark seems to have forgotten most of her Hindi, but she picked up playground-speak pretty rapidly when we were there.

we're trying to puzzle out ways to encourage language retention. our home vocabulary uses a few words of nepali and turkish (some which were 'important!' words, others which we used with great frequency). her word for 'hot' is still the Nepali 'taato', here/there are the Turkish 'nerada/burada' and so forth. using these key words in daily life sometimes triggers a spontantous outpouring of words we were sure she'd forgotten. sometimes words that mum and dad have forgotten

this is a less-popular option, but occasional viewing of movies in previously-learned languages seems to greatly encourage retention also. the realtime audio-visual seems to make comprehension almost effortless.
#21 of 43 Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 PM

Happy to find a post like this! I speak okej Swedish and will definitely be picking up more as the months progress to teach to my little one coming in March 2011! I am interested in any experience someone may have had with using a nanny who can fluently speak a second language (first speaker non-english) to immerse their child in a different language. Perhaps an au pair or the like? My husband and I are considering hiring an au pair from abroad next year. Feel free to quick reply or PM. Long stories welcome and enjoyed!
#22 of 43 Old 09-29-2010, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Haven't read all the posts here but dd has picked up a lot of spanish from spanish programs on V-me channel. We have Direct Tv.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
#23 of 43 Old 09-29-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesiyvonne View Post
Happy to find a post like this! I speak okej Swedish and will definitely be picking up more as the months progress to teach to my little one coming in March 2011! I am interested in any experience someone may have had with using a nanny who can fluently speak a second language (first speaker non-english) to immerse their child in a different language. Perhaps an au pair or the like? My husband and I are considering hiring an au pair from abroad next year. Feel free to quick reply or PM. Long stories welcome and enjoyed!

Hi.
I'm Italian, married to a Chinese naturalized american and we live in Monaco.
My child is 3 years old and his italian is very, very good. My husband was speaking Mandarin to him, but he was so behind that he was having issues comunicating with his dad. Now we hired a Chineses nanny. She has been coming 5 hours a day for 5 days a week for the last 2 months. Well, my son now is able to follow when she speaks and to make conversation. Still not at the same level of Italian and I doubt he will ever get there. And now he is also going to French speaking kindergarden. We tried in the past with Chinese but the hours and frequency was not enough.
#24 of 43 Old 09-30-2010, 11:31 PM

So glad to find this thread. I'm German, born and grew up there for 24 years. I'm now married to a US citizen, living in the US. We have two kids, I only speak German with the kids, no other language. They are still very young (2 and 3 years old) and I love to see them pick up more and more German. I'm proud to see my son trying to answer in german to my - also German -friends. He still has some issues with the basic grammar and words. If he does talk english to me (which is almost all the time with German words thrown in the mix) I say the sentence in German and then have him (and his sister) repeat it to me. They do really good. He can sing the ABC and count to 10 in German. I was also thinking about looking more into Muzzy or little Pim DVDs for them to pick up more of the language. We'll see how it goes.

joy.gif
#25 of 43 Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
They naturally spoke English first, then started speaking French as they got older. When they were ready to learn to read we just did everything in French instead of English - alphabet, grammar, spelling, etc. I was a bit worried that it would be hard for them to learn to read in English but they just did that on their own - I don't know how!
We have had a similar experience. I taught my two youngest all in German. then they attended public school for two years, and lost alot of their fluency in speaking. Now they are back schooling at home, and I'm trying to help them regain some of that. My husband doesn't speak any German, so English is definitely the dominant language at home, and getting the kids to speak German now is an uphill battle.

Homeschooling Mama to DD-20, M>F DD-18, DS-10 and DD-7
#26 of 43 Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
That is cool, why she decide German? Most girls I know (tween and teens) want to learn French. My cousing (she is 15) she learn English since young and now she is learning French. Her mom only speak Spanish, I give her extra credit for that.
She wants to learn German because I told her stories about when I lived in Germany as a teen (my dad is retired military). She was really excited about learning a language of a foreign place I had lived in. I used to speak and read a fair amount of German, but have lost most of that ability. I've taught her only basics- counting, alphabet, simple phrases. I'm trying to find a program for her that will help with her desire to learn more German but it's not easy.

Dd 9/99 via csection. 6 lbs 10oz

Dd 1/11 via vbac. 8 lbs 10oz

11 years secondary infertility

#27 of 43 Old 10-15-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Have you seen Pocoyo?
#28 of 43 Old 10-22-2010, 10:37 AM

I am so glad I found this thread. We are Americans who have lived in Yemen for eight years now. We all speak English and Arabic, but the children are truly bilingual, something I am SO thankful for. I also speak Spanish, and my eldest son speaks French and German.

It's interesting the way the smaller children will speak to each other in both languages. One will ask a question in English, and the other will answer it in Arabic. Or they know when they are out of the house, they HAVE to speak Arabic- they never even try English on people outside of the family...
#29 of 43 Old 10-22-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
My daughter also watches Dora and Diego. I have had her watch Dora just in Spanish, a couple of times, to see how she would respond to it. There is a "Nick in Espanol" feature that Optimum Cable does so that kids can watch the cartoons in Spanish.
We have the most basic of basic cable (~25 channels), but Univision has children's programming on Saturday mornings that include Dora and Diego in Spanish, among others. It's the reverse of the English version: 99% Spanish with some token English words thrown in. We record them, edit out the commercials, and then can pop in a dvd any time. Telefutura has Plaza Sesamo on Sundays, too, I think, plus Reino Animal and other stuff. And in my area at least, you can get those channels with just an antenna!

I'm an English speaker married to a bilingual South American, living in the US. We speak Spanish at home with our 2 daughters (6 months and 4 yrs old), but I'm struggling to improve my grammar and vocabulary to stay ahead of DD... I feel like I will never be really "fluent"! We just started both girls at a Spanish immersion daycare (transferred from an English one), and have already noticed DD's Spanish coming more freely, increased vocabulary, etc. She's even picking up their accent.

But I could really use some tips on how to improve my *own* Spanish, since even my DH works in a bilingual unit at his office, so I'm the only one without any extra Spanish exposure during the day. FWIW, I studied it in high school, spent 3 months abroad (2 separate trips), and have been speaking to DD exclusively in Spanish for the last 4 yrs; but I really struggle with professional Spanish and more complicated verb forms. Plus I always like more vocabulary.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#30 of 43 Old 10-22-2010, 05:08 PM

I'm an English speaking mama and hope to teach my son Spanish and he will of course learn French in school. I don't speak Spanish though so have no idea how to teach him. He's still to young to really know the difference yet,but I sometimes play Spanish music. I'd like to find some DVD's other then Dora for him.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page