Siman Tov, U'Mazel Tov!...Jewish Mama's Tribe is back! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 08-23-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank-you to the Mods who have given the approval to bring the Jewish mama's thread back to the FYT section.

Can't believe it's going to be Rosh Hashana soon!

Hope to see many of my fellow MDC Jewish mamas again here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 80 Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 PM

hi! I hope everyone is doing well.

This year brings a lot of changes for us: my oldest is going away to school - currently he's dealing with homesickness ; my twins are starting school for the first time - going into a 4yr old nursery class instead of kindergarten - I'm trying to play by the school rules... And lastly, my brand new 9 yr old (HEbrew b-day this past shabbos) is staying home this year and we're homeschooling. I've been pretty crazed trying to put together a curriculum and still looking for pointers and insight - if you've btdt - let me know

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#3 of 80 Old 08-24-2010, 02:55 PM

Hi! I have been lurking on MDC for a little bit, but would love to be in this tribe. We are THE tribe, aren't we? Hope it's ok if I join.

I am Aimee, married to Matthew. We have a son, Asher who will be 4 in a few weeks. We also have another son on the way whom we are hoping to meet via home birth in November!

Aimee wife to Matt Mama to Asher (4) and Ari (Due 11/6/10)
#4 of 80 Old 08-24-2010, 06:15 PM

yay to be in fyt

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#5 of 80 Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 PM

yay!!! I have an MDC tribe to join.

Melanie wife and mama
#6 of 80 Old 08-25-2010, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you, mods. I'm glad to be back in fyt. I'm not spiritual enough that I would have ever found the thread in Spirituality.

The girls started public school this week. DD1 has had a good time so far, but DD2 was afraid on her first day--new big school, people she didn't know, and an unsympathetic teacher to boot--and she got sent to the principal's office the first day for hiding under her desk and generally being non-compliant. Today, was better. She made a friend in her class. They get out really early every Wednesday, right during DS's nap time. It's not going to be fun getting over there with him to pick them up. He starts nursery next week, and I'm thinking of having him go a long day on Wednesday, and he'll nap there. He's nursing down for naps, however, so that will be hard on him. OTOH, I'm getting tired of breastfeeding him. He's much more demanding than the girls were at this age. I've told DH that Presidents' Day weekend is it, absolutely it, even if I have to go out of town to wean, that is it. Anyone else feel like that about "extended" breastfeeding?

DH got me a lap top for my birthday, so now I can do homework and internet in bed. Whee! Did I mention that I'm almost done with my lactation homework? Did I mention the lack of interships--which I need to finish the program and get certified? So frustrating.

So that's what's going on here. Glad you're all still around and glad to meet the newer people. Shana tova!
#7 of 80 Old 08-25-2010, 04:22 AM

Hey haven't checked in here in ages!

The girls are starting kitah aleph next week. I can't belive my babies are all grown up! I bought them their siddorim, chumash, books, etc. I have big kids in the house!

Rivka is goign to gan chova, a bit jealous of the big 2. I went and bought her a new bag she didn't need because she was so upset by me getting so much stuff for the twins. I figured if a bag will make her happy, small price to pay.

Avraham Tzvi is continuing with his DCP for another year. All of a sudden he's a real person, it's b'h amazing. He has bust out talking in paragraphs and he even uses the toilet. We are DIAPER FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#8 of 80 Old 08-25-2010, 09:14 AM

So wait a sec. If we're here, is there some sort of ban on discussing anything spiritual in an FYT thread? That's why we got moved in the first place, isn't it?

Just checking. Neuroses are my friends.
#9 of 80 Old 08-25-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post

So wait a sec. If we're here, is there some sort of ban on discussing anything spiritual in an FYT thread? That's why we got moved in the first place, isn't it?

Just checking. Neuroses are my friends.
The only restriction is that the mods asked us not to conduct any circ-related discussions here. If we have circ-related conversations, that should be handled in the Spirituality section.

I think we can work with that!

It's great to already see mamas joining us here who wouldn't have joined in the discussion on the spirituality section. Glad we were able to return to FYT!
#10 of 80 Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 PM

I wouldn't have found you all if this Tribe hadn't been put in the Spirituality section for awhile. So, for me at least, some good came out of it. Now that I know were we are I'll check in here too.

So, to continue the question I asked on the other thread, if you attend Shabbat services, what do you do with your kids while there? Are they with you? Are they in childcare? Are they at home with your partner/parents/other? I'm asking because the shuls I'm interested in don't seem to offer much in the way of childcare/activies on Shabbat itself and I'd really like to start attending services.

Also, off the top of your heads, besides pregnancy, do any of you know what could cause recurring nausea and fatigue. I've been struggling with this for a couple weeks now. I took a pregnancy test yesterday just to be sure I wasn't pg (the nausea is very similar to what I experience when pg). It was negative, and I was surprisingly disappointed. I have an IUD in place, but they're only 99.4% effective. I thought for a bit I might be one of the .06 for whom they don't work. If I'm still having these symptoms in 2 weeks I'll retest. Until then, anything else I can Google and obsess over?

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
#11 of 80 Old 08-26-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashsMama View Post
Also, off the top of your heads, besides pregnancy, do any of you know what could cause recurring nausea and fatigue. I've been struggling with this for a couple weeks now. I took a pregnancy test yesterday just to be sure I wasn't pg (the nausea is very similar to what I experience when pg). It was negative, and I was surprisingly disappointed. I have an IUD in place, but they're only 99.4% effective. I thought for a bit I might be one of the .06 for whom they don't work. If I'm still having these symptoms in 2 weeks I'll retest. Until then, anything else I can Google and obsess over?
I had a thyroid problem that caused extreme exhaustion. I'm taking care of it naturally.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#12 of 80 Old 08-26-2010, 06:14 PM

Definitely not thyroid for me. I've got a weight problem and have had my thyroid checked every few years (last time was about a month ago). I always get the same result - thyroid is fine, no magic pill for you, go eat less and exercise! LOL

What are you doing to treat your thyroid naturally, tikvah18?

#13 of 80 Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 AM

Hi mamas We are visiting my family in CA, having a great time. I had been hoping to make it to morning minyan all Elul to hear the shofar, but we've been in CA the entire time, and my parents live no where near a shul, so it never manifested. Next year!

Mags - sorry we didn't get to meet up this visit Still happy to share culinary secrets with you

DD starts preschool this year right after the chagim, and her 3rd English birthday is the day after YK so we're doing her party the next sunday (during sukkot).

DHs 40th birthday is coming this fall and I've knee deep in planning for months now but still have nothing concrete set up - except for the ILs coming in on his bday weekend to watch the kids.

Shabbat shalom!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#14 of 80 Old 08-31-2010, 04:09 PM

I'm sorry too alicia, we should definitely talk kraut and liver online though.

I feel like things have been really crazy lately, even though they haven't. I haven't been sleep well or enough though, and I'm constantly slightly on edge. Dad is moving to the city during the weeks (he'll be back here at his house where we are living/house sitting) in a few days, so hopefully I'll be able to relax a little more.

I've also been having crazy hard periods. (ha, they're always that way.) but in addition to debilitating cramps, and hot flashes, I've been throwing up from them the past two months. I'm going to see the doc this afternoon though I don't really think there's much he can recomend. My mom threw up with her periods every month until she had me at 36. yikes.

I think mostly I've slightly a mess because I haven't been getting enough sleep.

I have to say the holidays have totally snuck up on me. How on earth can rosh hashanah be about a week away?

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#15 of 80 Old 09-02-2010, 01:12 AM

Caroline, hope your doc can help you out. Cramps and vomiting pretty much describes my periods all through my youth. I got lots of relief when I was younger by taking birth control pills. Like your mom, having kids helped me out too.

If you're looking for good recipes, Faye Levy's 1,000 Jewish Recipes is wonderful! Sme recommended it a while back and I ordered it for myself last Hanukkah. We have loved every recipe I have made from it. My dh even exclaimed that the chopped chicken livers tasted exactly like his grandmothers! High praise indeed!

#16 of 80 Old 09-02-2010, 01:47 AM

wow that is high praise

I'm rather hopeful about it. Rather than his only answer being "you can try birth control pills" (like previous docs) he asked me if I'd been on them and how they were for me. since they were horrible and I'll never take them again, he got out the latest textbooks/reasearch books and we looked through them and decided to try B6, calcium/magnesium, and a really mild diuretic that had been shown very helpful (only the second half of the cycle). I'm really hopeful about it. It was nice to have a doc who wasn't dismissive of my problems with birth control and could think of other things to try.

#17 of 80 Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM

I'm so glad you found a doctor who listened to you! I hope the new regimen solves the problems.

#18 of 80 Old 09-02-2010, 02:58 PM

Magelet,
Have any doctors suggested endometriosis? I know several people who have had it and they had the same symptoms you do and they did get worse over time.

Wig wearing mommy to (06/12/09) 
#19 of 80 Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 PM

Hello! Very excited to find this tribe. I found the greatest recipe in Rachel Ray everyday for making caramel apples using honey and vanilla which I can't wait to make with the kids this week.

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#20 of 80 Old 09-07-2010, 05:00 AM

The doc didn't mention endometriosis. I think they did an ultrasound to check fr that and cysts or somehing when I was about 13 but I don't recall. I suspect it's genetic since my mom had debilitating cramps she threw up from until she had me. Though my sis isn't as bad. If these meds don't help I'll talk to the doc about looking into endometriosis. Thanks

#21 of 80 Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 PM

Shanah tovah um'tukah

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#22 of 80 Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 PM

L'Shanah Tovah, mamas! How was your Rosh Hashanah? I decided to make some dishes I had never cooked before (chicken stewed in tzimmes and potato kugel), and after all that work nobody in the family really liked them. I've started a new low carb diet, so I didn't eat the kugel at all, and only ate the chicken, not the tzimmes. Luckily I had also poached some trout, and baked a spaghetti squash, so there was plenty to feast on, but we ended up with a bunch of leftovers that nobody wanted. It looks like the leftovers are going to end up being fed to the raccoons that live in our yard, 'cause they're still taking up room in my fridge as I type. Next year I'm going back to doing something the family is used to, like roasting a chicken. On the positive side, I tried a new recipe for honey cake that was delicious! I make gluten free desserts so I always have to tweak the recipes a bit. I actually made a mistake on this one and put in 2 tablespoons of baking powder instead of 2 teaspoons, but it turned out perfectly anyway. I think I'm going to have to try that "mistake" with more of my gluten free recipes, because the cake was so light it seemed like regular wheat cake. Hope everyone is doing well and getting a well deserved rest.

#23 of 80 Old 09-14-2010, 04:02 AM

I made homemade caramel apples using honey, cream and vanilla and while they LOOKED beautiful the caramel came out like toffee and was way too hard. I felt like it took so much work and then didn't come out in a way that was really edible. Other than that we had a Seder I made date muffins, fruit salad w/ pomegranate, apples w/ honey to dip, fresh steamed green beans, acorn squash mashed with melted butter cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar browned in the broiler, fresh steamed spinach, potato & leek soup made w/ vegetable broth, and we do lettuce instead of fish so we finished with a green salad.

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#24 of 80 Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 PM

Have any of you seen the Times cover for the most recent Time magazine issue? I saw it today in the grocery store it made me feel very uncomfortable. Here is a link to the article and the cover photo, http://www.time.com/time/covers/0,16...100913,00.html

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#25 of 80 Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 PM

The cover definitely bothered me but I'm not sure if we can engage in discussion about it here or if that would only fit in current events.

#26 of 80 Old 09-14-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
The cover definitely bothered me but I'm not sure if we can engage in discussion about it here or if that would only fit in current events.
Oh I wasn't sure, I will X-Post it over there.

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#27 of 80 Old 09-15-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

My yom tov dishes were a success, most notably was my awesome apple-cider roasted turkey with fruit stuffing. Seriously awesome. The trick is to roast it breast-side down, with 3 layers of cheesecloth (or those cheesecloth bags) over the top, basting every 30 minutes. after 2.5 hours, discard cheesecloth, turn bird over, roast until juices clear - ABSOLUTELY SCRUMPTIOUS!

I make this turkey every year for Yom Tov, but it was the best ever this year.
#28 of 80 Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM

That sounds really really good!

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#29 of 80 Old 09-15-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
The doc didn't mention endometriosis. I think they did an ultrasound to check fr that and cysts or somehing when I was about 13 but I don't recall. I suspect it's genetic since my mom had debilitating cramps she threw up from until she had me. Though my sis isn't as bad. If these meds don't help I'll talk to the doc about looking into endometriosis. Thanks
Endometriosis isn't cysts, it's when the tissue from the lining of your uterus that sheds when you have your period grows on other organs and it can cause severe pain when you have your period. I think there are treatment options available. You can also ask your doctor for prescription strength painkillers if you would like. My mother needs them to function when she has her period, I think she has both cysts and endometriosis.

Rosh Hashanah was good but I am completely cooked out and I am trying to psych myself to make another giant batch of challah's and start cooking for pre & post Yom Kippur and Sukkos. It feels like a never ending tirade of food.

Sukkos is going to be a pain b/c we don't have a Sukkah so we have to bring all our food to shul.

Wig wearing mommy to (06/12/09) 
#30 of 80 Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 PM

It's official. The tzimmes WERE terrible! Even the raccoons wouldn't eat them!

ImaSophie your menu sounds delicious! And yes, the cover of Time made me uncomfortable. I didn't read the article, so I don't know weather I agree or not with the premise, but regardless I thought it was in poor taste to run during the High Holy days.

Chava, that turkey sounds amazing! Did you use hard cider or non-alcoholic?

shnitzel, I hear you about the "never ending tyrade of food," and I'm not even very observant so it must be particularly hard for you more traditional mamas.

We've finally made a decision about what congregation to join. We have a meeting with the rabbi and director of education next week. I had a hard time convincing my husband that we should spend the money to do this. He hated his Hebrew/religious school experience, had a very unsatisfying Bar Mitzvah, and pretty much has never gone back to Temple since. But, he realizes that this is very important to me, and I offered to try to cut my food budget $50 a week to help finance it, so he agreed. I like the rabbi very much, feel comfortable with the people who attend there, and actually know some of them from my kids' school, so that was a big plus. I hope it really is a good fit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page