Military Moms: Sept/Oct 2010 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2010, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Popping in, haven't posted in a longtime!

Anyway, I'm a Navy wife and mama to 3. We live in Hawaii.

I'm reading but I'm not much of a poster. I just never know what to say.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 11:04 AM

Adorkable ~ A boy and a girl! Glad the moving has gone smoothly so far. Be safe.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 09-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
Great birthday today. Very long and eventful. Still no baby though. Going to bed now. Just happy I got out of the house... especially with just DH... especially since that probably will not happen again for a long long time (I hate leaving my babies before they ween!)
Happy belated birthday, Mae! I'm glad that you and DH were able to enjoy some alone time today. I know what you mean about getting out without kiddos prior to weaning.. I only do it if necessary (i.e. dental work, medical emergency). Otherwise, they go where I go!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
Old 09-05-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
Hi folks, been offline for a while.
I'm about halfway thru our cross country PCS, things are going smooth, the pack up and load out when pretty darn smooth, let's see how things look on the other end.

And we got to have our anatomy scan right before we left Ft Lewis, we are having one boy and one girl!

Sadly I also found out that the great midwife at Madigan finally got water births owed there!!!! Right when im leaving
Congrats Adorkable! What a blessing - a boy and a girl .

Thanks for the heads up on the water births at Madigan. I'll ask my OB if I'm eligible at my next appointment.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
Old 09-05-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi folks, been offline for a while.
I'm about halfway thru our cross country PCS, things are going smooth, the pack up and load out when pretty darn smooth, let's see how things look on the other end.

And we got to have our anatomy scan right before we left Ft Lewis, we are having one boy and one girl!

Sadly I also found out that the great midwife at Madigan finally got water births owed there!!!! Right when im leaving
That is wonderful! Do you have any ideas for names yet?

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 09-05-2010, 11:53 PM

Happy belated birthday, Mae!! Glad to hear it was a wonderful day!!

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

Old 09-06-2010, 03:37 AM

We have a few names but have decided to keep them to ourselves for right now.
As for the water births, can you be moved to the midwifes? I can't remember right now after 600 miles of driving what your pregnancy is currently like. Roxanne Piecik is the midwife that I love there, not 100% on that spelling. She is the one that got the water births ok'd, but I do think that all the docs can do it if they are ok with it.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 09-06-2010, 05:04 AM

Congrats, Adorkable!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 09-06-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
We have a few names but have decided to keep them to ourselves for right now.
As for the water births, can you be moved to the midwifes? I can't remember right now after 600 miles of driving what your pregnancy is currently like. Roxanne Piecik is the midwife that I love there, not 100% on that spelling. She is the one that got the water births ok'd, but I do think that all the docs can do it if they are ok with it.
LOL! I wouldn't expect you to remember . I'm high risk due to recurrent pregnancy loss, partial previa (that seems to be moving up), and active autoimmune disorder. I don't think I'd be cleared to move to the midwives, but I can always ask!

Hope the drive is going well today. Make sure to stretch those legs regularly.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:13 PM

Hey, Soul-O, can I ask if you know anything about something like TSGLI on the economy? We are getting all our ducks in a row for the deployment and basically, if he's injured, we'll be in deeper financial dog poo than if anything else happened, even if medical expenses are supposedly paid for. Do you know anything about that?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 09-06-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Hey, Soul-O, can I ask if you know anything about something like TSGLI on the economy? We are getting all our ducks in a row for the deployment and basically, if he's injured, we'll be in deeper financial dog poo than if anything else happened, even if medical expenses are supposedly paid for. Do you know anything about that?
If you bank with USAA, I believe they have a product available for you at low cost during deployment. Otherwise, you may want to ask at JAG or ACS about reputable insurance options that can supplement what the Army offers. Being medically discharged/retired is not a financial boon, so it's good that you are planning ahead for that possibility. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Thanks, I got some good advice on another thread for that. We have car insurance with USAA and checking that we don't use and we had planned on taking out an additional life policy with them, so we'll see what they have.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 AM

DH wants me to have Mae either tomorrow... so he has to write her birthdate as 100908... or on 9/11 because its Patriot Day

My mom wants me to have her on 9/11 because its her second-birthday (the day she found out she was in remission from breast cancer... her third-birthday/lung cancer remission is 10/11)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:12 AM

We decided having Mae tomorrow would be awesome... DH is finishing his 4 day weekend today... goes back to work tomorrow. If I have her tomorrow, then he starts his 10 days off tomorrow, goes back to work next saturday! They dont WORK on Saturdays (unless he is put on duty but hes not due for duty again until October at the soonest)

So he would end up having 16 straight days off of work and getting paid for ALL of it without losing a single day of leave that he has built up.

(at that, 17 days if you count that on Friday he didnt have to go in until 0900 and got off at 1100!)

and yes, hes been told the field op will NOT interfere with his paternity leave. While the staff nco said it would, the chief warrant officer told him no, he could still have his PTAD through the field op.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:02 PM

That would all be good, Mae!

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 PM

Crossing my fingers for you, Mae!!!

I am so beyond words right now... my mom was watching the baby last night for me while I ran to the store with just ds. I gave her specific instructions to not let dd cry it out at all, and told her I left pumped milk for her just in case. Of course, I nursed her really well before we left.

When I get home, dd is asleep in my mother's arms. I smiled and my mom said "Wow, the colic is crazy!" I was confused because she hadn't said anything to me that dd was crying. She then tells me that in her desperate attempt to calm dd down... she gave her HER BOOB and tried to nurse her herself!!!

Seriously? I don't even know what I should say/do. DH is extremely pissed as well, and I just feel so ... violated and undermined. This is the same mother who tries to get my ds to call her "mama" instead of grandma. *sigh*

I need DH. I cant be around my toxic family anymore. I hate not having anyone else's help. I hate having to be so strong all the time. What person cant trust her own mother with her kids? Hopefully, the Army will pay for us to go to GA with DH. I will know by the beginning of Oct. Ughh.

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 PM

Kourtney. That is really messed up. I would be very upset, too.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 PM

wow

Old 09-09-2010, 12:42 AM

Did you have the baby today, Mae?!?!

Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so sorry Kourtney I will cross my fingers that moving to be close to DH works out, I agree that it sounds like it would be the best plan for you and I would do the same in your situation.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 09-09-2010, 01:52 AM

deleted... nevermind

Old 09-09-2010, 10:28 AM

I wish. I did end up with the most horrible IBS attack Ive had in over a year... laying in the tub praying it wasn't labor because I do not remember labor ever hurting that much, and knowing that I was not even dilated fully yet... could not imagine it getting any WORSE!

Then I dreamed that everyone was telling me the IBS attack was my body saying to get ready for Saturday...

In any case... Ill have her by 9/28 at the latest. As long as my blood pressure stays down (and that will be 42 weeks) that is the earliest we will do anything to try inducing labor. (outside of sex, nipple stimulation, walking, wine, lol... all those things that don't REALLY work but at least help calm me down)

Old 09-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
In any case... Ill have her by 9/28 at the latest. As long as my blood pressure stays down (and that will be 42 weeks) that is the earliest we will do anything to try inducing labor. (outside of sex, nipple stimulation, walking, wine, lol... all those things that don't REALLY work but at least help calm me down)
I've been wondering why everyone was so anxious for you to have this baby now since you aren't even at your EDD yet. I've read that undisturbed pgs actually last 41w2d on average rather than 40w.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:16 AM

ive been miserable for over a month with prodromal that this whole past week and half has been painful... so basically everyone wants the labor to progress. Id be just as happy with it stopping altogether.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:26 AM

Can you ask your midwife for some herbal rec's for stuff to help you get some rest/sleep and not be so uncomfortable?

Old 09-09-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
ive been miserable for over a month with prodromal that this whole past week and half has been painful... so basically everyone wants the labor to progress. Id be just as happy with it stopping altogether.
Oh, I see. Is prodormal the same as preterm? Do red wine and warm baths help? That's what my midwife recommended when I had contractions too soon.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM

not really like preterm, though mine did start preterm...

its more like prolonged early labor thats not actually doing anything and sometimes can get very very painful.

Ive had nights where I have contractions 3 minutes apart lasting 45 seconds and HURT. But no progression in my cervix.

Nothing gets rid of them, nothing makes them progress. I was the same with DD from about 34 weeks and had her at 39... started this at 33 or so weeks this time and am just over 39 weeks now.

I dont know what causes it other than that they think all women get it, just most dont feel it... I am VERY sensitive in that area (feel kicks early, horrible af cramps when ttc, IBS that can have me in tears)

Its weird though, if Im so sensitive... why am I able to have drug-free labors without problem? LOL Probably because I spend so long feeling like Im in labor that when it finally happens its like... meh whatever.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Ah, ok, Mae. I was wondering (again) because I thought you had said something about PTL before.

I can feel my contractions very early on, too, but they aren't painful. When I was getting the stress tests when I was pg with ds2 the nurses would look at the monitor, comment that I was having a lot of contractions and ask me if I was feeling them. When I said that I could feel them they were surprised that I wasn't in pain. With ds3 I started feeling contractions at around 12w. That's when my midwife told me to try the red wine and warm bath. That slowed them but I still felt contractions my entire pg. Unlike you, though, I find labor to be very painful. I'm the crazy lady you hear 3 blocks away cussing and screaming her head off.

I'm sure you've already tried this because it's so basic but the only thing I can think of is to drink lots of water. Keep yourself really hydrated. I've read that PTL is associated with dehydration.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:39 PM

Okay well I decided Mae cant come this Saturday although I wanted her to... because Richlands is having their Farmers Day festival and it sounds like a ton of fun and a good cause (proceeds go to a scholarship fund for kids wanting to get into agriculture and/or environmental sciences)

And there's a Pirate Fest on the 18th that DS would probably enjoy, if not DH as well

I am SO sick of being at home 24/7 at this point I'm planning on ways to get out of the house even for next weekend in case I'm still pregnant. (We have not been going out much because my SPD was so painful but its been actually getting better lately!)

OOOH! And the fair is coming up the first week of October... Is the Onslow County Fair usually any good?

Old 09-09-2010, 04:16 PM

Kourtney, that is crazy. I'm sorry. I will pray that you get to join your husband SOON!

User Tag List