Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquarius aspiring View Post

I've been bitten by baby rabies HARD in the past couple of weeks.

biglaugh.gifThat is AWESOME. I think that's the best term I've ever heard for it. I'm sorry you're experiencing it, but that's a great title.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I too love the term baby rabies! I'm not quite in full blown rabies, but I am perhaps affected by a milder form known as baby flu. ;)

eta: I've been starting my plan of getting super fit by the time we look at having a child; I started Couch to 5K 3 weeks ago, have been trying to get outdoors more (hiking, biking, kayaking, tennis, etc.).  Next up will be changing my eating habits - that'll be hard since I have a major sweet tooth and crave carbs frequently.  Ideally I'll be able to complete 2 endurance tests with my dogs (12 miles on a bike in 90 minutes with 2 short breaks for each dog), complete an official 5K (maybe a 10K or half marathon?), and be cooking more vs buying premade stuff by the time TTC is on the horizon (likely 3 years from now). Never hurts to get those habits established sooner than later!

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 PM

Haha! Thanks! I thought I had read about baby rabies on here, but I guess not. I'm glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post

Quote:

biglaugh.gifThat is AWESOME. I think that's the best term I've ever heard for it. I'm sorry you're experiencing it, but that's a great title.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 PM

Baby flu works, too! :D

Wow, I'm impressed by your fitness goals. My first goal is just to get back on the treadmill at the gym. Well, okay, and start doing yoga and do some more hiking. Baby steps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post

I too love the term baby rabies! I'm not quite in full blown rabies, but I am perhaps affected by a milder form known as baby flu. ;)

eta: I've been starting my plan of getting super fit by the time we look at having a child; I started Couch to 5K 3 weeks ago, have been trying to get outdoors more (hiking, biking, kayaking, tennis, etc.).  Next up will be changing my eating habits - that'll be hard since I have a major sweet tooth and crave carbs frequently.  Ideally I'll be able to complete 2 endurance tests with my dogs (12 miles on a bike in 90 minutes with 2 short breaks for each dog), complete an official 5K (maybe a 10K or half marathon?), and be cooking more vs buying premade stuff by the time TTC is on the horizon (likely 3 years from now). Never hurts to get those habits established sooner than later!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 PM

Old 07-21-2011, 10:26 PM

OMG it drives me *nuts* when women put more thought/research into buying a new car than having a child! I totally understand where you're coming from! 

It was soooo refreshing when my most recent friend to have her child was very educated on everything, refused induction for post dates, fired her OB at 40w1d because she tried to sneak induce her, and ended up having a drug free birth at 41w5d. :) I also love discussing babywearing and breastfeeding topics with my BFF who has 2 kids, the youngest is almost 16 months.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

Old 07-23-2011, 01:31 AM

Your friend and your bff both sound like amazing people. My college roommate had drug-free births with both of her kids, but had to transfer with the last one for post-birth complications. She's in another country, though so I get to talk her ear off over e-mail! She doesn't mind a ton of questions from me.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius aspiring View Post

some of the things that she says makes me think harder about what kind of birth I want in the future and why it's so important to me.

Maybe this^ is the key - seeing our friends having kids in ways that we would not choose for ourselves makes us examine our plans even more closely.  There's a bit of peer pressure and even with my BFF I find myself not being very outspoken about my preference for homebirth/drug free/low interventions because I know it's so unusual nowadays. Plus the whole "you're not pregnant/haven't had a child so what do you know about birth" vibe that can be so easy to run into.

Erin

Old 07-29-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post

Maybe this^ is the key - seeing our friends having kids in ways that we would not choose for ourselves makes us examine our plans even more closely.  There's a bit of peer pressure and even with my BFF I find myself not being very outspoken about my preference for homebirth/drug free/low interventions because I know it's so unusual nowadays. Plus the whole "you're not pregnant/haven't had a child so what do you know about birth" vibe that can be so easy to run into.

Ahh, that's the WORST. I hate when people tell me "you're not a mom, you have no right to say x, y, z." I might not have had children yet, but I never say anything ridiculous or non-factual. Yes, there's always the chance I won't be able to nurse/homebirth/whatever, but we go through everything else in life with our eye on the prize...I don't live my life expecting to get cancer, because the odds are in my favor that I won't, just like the odds are in my favor that I'll be able to birth and parent the way I see is ideal. If it doesn't, I'll readjust my plans as I go, but no sense in planning for the worst. It absolutely makes me crawl the walls when someone says "oh honey, wait until you feel those labor pains!" or "what happens if something goes wrong?" Well geez judgmental woman, if something goes wrong I'll get my butt to the hospital for a c-section, duh! 

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

Old 07-30-2011, 09:23 AM

Yup KB - with you totally on that one!

A friend of mine is writing a blog series on the Mommy vs. Non-Mommy Divide and just posted the first entry today.  I immediately thought of you guys and figured some of you might find it interesting to see it actually talked about. Link: http://adventuresinaubreyland.blogspot.com/2011/07/mommy-vs-non-mommy-divide-part-1-does.html

Erin

Old 08-01-2011, 02:40 PM

I'm very careful when I talk about being a mama one day. I never think, "Oh, my kids will never do this or that". I come at it from the perspective of, "Oh, what would I do in the situation?" and sometimes I don't know what the heck I would do!

I do think there is a divide, but I'm not sure in what way or how it starts. I do think both groups (mommies and non-mommies) need to be respectful of each other's time though. I would love to see my friends with their babies in tow or not if they need the break. I'm always willing to baby-sit, too!

Thanks for posting the link, stardogs. Gives me something to think about!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:20 PM

I think that mommy vs. non-mommy is just one of many divides women experience in their 20's. For instance, I know that as a single 22 year old, it's more fun to hang out with other single 22 year olds rather than married 22 year olds or 22 year olds in long-term committed relationships. The lifestyle is just different, you know?

I try to word myself carefully around moms when I'm talking. The way I see it, I know my personality better than anyone so there ARE some things I feel I can definitively say. For instance, I'm a born worker. I hate not working. I hope that I'm in a financial position to be able to stay home for like a year with each kid, but I know with certainty that being a long-term SAHM would absolutely drive me batty. Not to mention, I'm moving to a place with a high COL and to be frank, it's unlikely I'd be able to afford it. It's the same with getting out of the house. I have no doubt that having babies will dramatically change my social life, that's an obvious "duh." However, I've seen women successfully balance motherhood with a social life and given my utter hatred of sitting at home, I am pretty sure I'll be one of them...even if it just means sleepily dragging a baby to Starbucks, affixing it to my boob and talking with a friend.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

Old 08-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM

You have my sympathies, aquarius. (I'm an aquarius too, btw. smile.gif) My dh does not like to plan far into the future, either. I also have a need to just talk through things, even if we don't have all the details, so I can start to process and plan. dh thinks that if I'm talking about it, it must mean: a.) I'm trying to plan it all now, and he's expected to magic up information from a crystal ball so I can do so, or b.) I'm unhappy with the present. We are working on this issue, but I don't have a lot of advice. The nice thing about my dh is that once he's committed to something, he's committed. He never wanted to talk about marriage until we actually got engaged, and then he was 100% focused on getting married. He didn't want to talk much at all about having kids when we were engaged, but once we got married, he was all on board. I think a lot of men just don't get women's needs to talk about things without having to come up with a firm plan of action. I have to remind my dh sometimes that I'm not looking for solution, I just want to think out loud a little with him. Maybe that would help your dh?

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
Old 08-03-2011, 01:38 PM

Old 08-04-2011, 12:25 PM

I ran into a similar issue a while ago and what really helped us was me using some tidbit of baby info I had found (i think it was something "safe", circumcision oddly enough since DH is intact and it's a non-issue for us, that we could both be on board with saying "wow, why do people do it that way, our kid would never go through that!  hmm what do you think our kid(s) will look like..." LOL) to start a convo vs. trying to plan a "baby conversation".  That, and DH meeting some of his friend's kids, seemed to make him feel less pressured to *plan* and more able to just discuss our general thoughts on the topic.

Erin

Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 AM

How are you all? What's going on in your lives? smile.gif

Old 08-09-2011, 12:27 PM

Such a great update aquarius! :)

Pretty much status quo here for me - had an awesome dock diving weekend sat/sun with two of my dogs and a good friend, but was sooo glad to be home.

The weather has finally broken a smidge, so I may actually get back into running my C25K program again - I quit when the heat indexes were in triple digits. :P

Erin

Old 08-09-2011, 02:15 PM

Dock diving sounds awesome, stardogs! (I didn't know what that was at first, but Wikipedia helped!) The weather hasn't been too bad around here. Of course, warm weather sounded good to me because my workplace has been freezing these past couple weeks and the system only got fixed yesterday. Good luck with your C25k program!

Old 08-12-2011, 06:00 PM

Old 08-13-2011, 12:14 PM

Congrats aquarius! Our tentative start date is 2014. :)

Erin

Old 08-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Hi everyone! 

We have a new feature that allows forum members to create "clubs" of their own that have many of the same benefits of a forum, including multiple threads, a member's list, and group messaging. All tribes are invited to switch from the one-long-thread here in FYT to the new Social Groups. You can read more about it hereLet me know if you have any questions but please post to that thread so I can keep everything in one place. smile.gif

Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM

Hi everyone! Nice to meet ya. I've loved the idea of becoming a mama since I was about 12 years old and the longing has gotten pretty strong over the past year. DH and I have been together for 2.5 years and married 1 year. We both want kids (although he is a lot more relaxed about the whole thing), but want to pay off my student loans and save about $10,000 before TTC. I kid you not. So most likely we will start around summer/fall 2013. Even though the wait is frustrating, none of my friends have kids or are even close and it would be so nice to have that community. We have, however, found a name we love: Aspen! Also Willow and Madrone.

Where do you live?

My DH and I just moved to a small island in the San Juan Islands with no amenities (think year round population = 11). It is beautiful, peaceful, perfect... and brings with it a host of interesting challenges regarding work, getting essentials, support network, etc.

How many kiddos do you want?

Probably 2. I don't know what I would do with out my sister.

Do you have any hobbies?

Dancing! Trained in ballet, jazz, and modern. Love contra, swing, and blues too. 

What do you do as a job?

I've spent the last year nannying for infants and teaching dance (since my college graduation). Now that we've moved I am currently on the search for something new. Maybe a boring full time job that pays lots of money so I can save up for my own future LO.

Any non-crunchy confessions?

We use a lot of ziploc bags and then throw them away instead of washing and reusing. Ack! We have a ton of pyrex so I need to start using those more consistently.

Do you have any pets?

A 1 year old puppy named Widget. Waking up in the middle of the night to let him out to pee is great practice!

Do you have anything stashed away for your future kids?

1 pair of penguin socks, 1 onesie bought at a fair, 2 onesies and 2 swim diapers and 1 dress I got handed down from a client.

Favorite food?

Swiss chard! I love me some vegetables. 

What brought you to MDC?

My mom had a subscription when I was little and I just kept reading.

Random fact?

Except for 5th grade (which I spent in public school) I was educated solely by my mother and then, ages 12-18, I unschooled using books, family-friend-tutors, life experiences, college classes, etc.

How old are you?

22 (DH is 33)

What are the best ways you've found to fulfill your mama-longings?

Well what doesn't help is taking care of other people's adorable children almost every day. :) I think what's helping me right now is focusing on working and saving money...and stalking DDCs every day. :)

love.gif
Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Hi all,

This seems like the right place for me :) My partner and I are planning to start ttc in January 2012, and we've just started talking to potential donors - very exciting to feel like things are finally moving forward, after many months of discussing. I don't want to let everyone in my community know what's going on yet, so I'm glad to have found a place to talk about it online! It's funny, I was the one who first brought up the idea of us having kids, and at first I thought she wouldn't want to, but now she's the one who is very definite that we're going to be parents together, and I'm more anxious about whether we're making the right choice.  There was a stretch there when I was actively trying to keep myself from mentioning babies too often, because she felt like I was rushing her. We process things very differently.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:37 PM

Well ladies, you are looking at the (soon to be) president of the University of Alabama chapter of the Alabama Birth Coalition! I'm pretty pumped :)

Old 09-09-2011, 05:46 AM

Okay, so I have no idea what the Alabama Birth Coalition is, but sounds awesome! Congrats!

PCOS
Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Okay, so I have no idea what the Alabama Birth Coalition is, but sounds awesome! Congrats!

Haha, sorry! Out-of-hospital birth with a Certified Professional Midwife (aka home or free-standing birth center) is illegal in Alabama. This means, as a pregnant woman, you have three options; hospital birth, unassisted home birth or a home birth attended by a midwife in secret that is documented as an unassisted birth. The Alabama Birth Coalition is working to get midwifery legalized :)

Old 09-11-2011, 07:31 AM

Wow, that is ridiculous! I can see why they'd outlaw non-certified midwives, but why CPMs? Would home birth be legal with a doctor or CNM?

PCOS
Old 09-12-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Wow, that is ridiculous! I can see why they'd outlaw non-certified midwives, but why CPMs? Would home birth be legal with a doctor or CNM?

In theory yes, but it doesn't happen due to crazy malpractice laws. Apparently there are less than a dozen CNMs who can legally deliver at home in Alabama. For such a big state, that's a tiny number and I'm not sure if they actually deliver at home or how often; just that legally they can do so. 

User Tag List