Military Moms: March/April 2011 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That uniform reminds me of our NWUs in the Navy. I believe its our "working" uniform. Most the people on the ship wear it.

I dont think I could watch Comming home while he was deployed! Though it gives some great ideas for home comming!

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 11:02 AM

Our homecoming is him coming home to a smaller wife! I'm down 23 pounds and counting in the 2 months since he left... still have over half the deployment to go. If I can lose another 10 Ill be skinnier than he's ever known me, another 20 I'll be the smallest I've been since I had DD1 and no longer obese. I'm not aiming any further than that until I hit that point. My ultimate goal is a 100 pound loss but that would not be healthy to try for in the time this deployments going on, especially while breastfeeding. 

When he comes home, Mae will be wearing a wonder woman onesie with a sign saying "WonderBaby here to get here SuperDaddy!" (she loves the "magic baby hold" so we call her WonderBaby, flying through the sky in her invisible airplane)

I have yet to decide on the big two. But I still have months to go.

I'm trying to beat my temptation to put up one of the "dirty" signs like "You've done your duty, time to get some booty" lol probably going to be "you're back from military duty, time for diaper duty!"

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 AM

My DH will be home for RnR very soon... and I am SO nervous!!  He has been gone for 8 months :(  Even after RnR we still have another 5-6 to go.  Anyway, I am super nervous.  Not sure why, I am sure it will all be fine and I am spazzing out for nothing.  But he has been gone for so long!!  He also hasn't met the baby yet (he will be around 6-ish months when DH gets here) so that should be interesting... Also, I already have the kids homecoming outfits picked out :P

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 03-22-2011, 02:48 PM

Well I wish I had a good post to reply in here, but whatever, I'm going to vent! Has anyone had a bad experience while living on post with Balfour Beatty? Let me tell you.... we moved to our unit in Oct. and it was infested with black mold and roaches! Of course, we started complaining and we have phone records to prove this (what did they think I called about, chatting about the weather!?) Well, to make a long story short, ALL of us (all four!) were sick with respitory type sickness since we moved there. On February 16th, our baby girl stopped breathing and I had to call 911. They saved her and all was fine. We were admitted to a pediatrics hospital off post, and we were there for observation for 24 hours after the episode. When we got out of the hospital, we went to Balfour Beatty and asked for a new unit, to which all hell broke lose. To make a long story short, the head of Balfour Beatty called my husbands CSM directly and said he was being rude and beligerent and threatening at the BB office, yet my husband was at work! It was ME that was up there (and I didn't do any of that!) The CSM laid into my hubby and has set out to make his life hell. We requested in writing that BB get our unit tested and do air sample testing, and they refused. They even called and had the CSM order my husband to let them in our unit to clean out the mold before testing could be done. My husband refused, and was slapped with an Article 15. Now, we have requested a court martial, and yeah.... this is going to be exciting *sigh* We feel so helpless, so miserable, and now there are other families speaking up against the mold issue. This whole situation is ridiculous, and my husband is at his breaking point. It's really sad that everyone is forgetting a baby's life was in danger! Gah! 

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Do a search on infant deaths and mold and Fort Bragg and you'll see this isn't an isolated event, unfortunately greensad.gif I'm sure they know that. I would get a lawyer if I were you.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 03-23-2011, 08:14 AM

I've actually been in contact with one of the moms who lost their baby at Bragg 3 years ago. She's been a tremendous help! We also have a civi lawyer who is a retired Lt. Colonel from the JAG office. He's been a prosecutor, military judge, and something else.... he's written things in the Supreme Court, and he is seriously taking our case for all most nothing (normally charges 5k) because he feels this is a no brainer case and firmly believes we are in the right. This lawyer has a great record with fighting court martials, so we will see what happens.

The corporate Balfour Beatty office contacted me yesterday asking for our medical bills and other out of pocket expenses so maybe, just maybe, they want that because they know we are planning on taking them to court.

Needless to say, we will NEVER live on post at any installation ever again. 12 babies dead at Bragg, 2 babies stop breathing at Gordon, Bliss family sues for severely brain damaged infant due to housing stuff, and there's a baby at Lewis in a coma who still isn't breathing on his own (this is a very recent one) and his is believed to be from housing as well. How can the Army just turn a blind eye to these cases? And who in the wold holds these housing companies accountable?! so frustrating!

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 AM

Oh mama! I am so sorry. I have never heard a good thing about Balfour. We have Lincoln Military so I have never had a house through Blafour but family has. Is the Army really doing nothing? That is horrible. I am so sorry hun. I hope this gets settled and they have to redo the homes. Keep us posted please. Those poor babies... :(

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 AM

OMG MK.  What a nightmare!  Most importantly, how's your little one doing?  I'm so glad you have a lawyer.  That is just absolutely unacceptable.  These companies just prey on captive audiences.  I hope someone with some sense gets involved and makes the Article 15 go away, and then the lawyer can handle the damage done to your daughter. 

I don't know what a CSM is, but I'm guessing it's the equivalent of command master chief?  Like the senior person who is supposed to help folks with these problems instead of destroying their lives?  Is there someone else that your DH can get involved who actually has some sense?  I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.  Feel free to vent away.... (although I'm sure your lawyer is going to tell you not to vent too much on a public forum) greensad.gif

Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad all your ducks are in a row. Things have not been good for several people I know here who are directly involved in the lawsuit, so hearing what they've done to your husband doesn't surprise me. They don't want to admit to using improper building methods and substandard materials, and they definitely don't want to accept responsibility for hurting anyone. I can tell you right now that even the brand new housing is going to have the same problems 15-20 years down the road because they're not protected from water damage, I looked myself. I think it's incredibly important to pursue this and make them accept responsibility for it, nothing will ever change if they're allowed to keep this stuff quiet. This just adds to my already giant mountain of disgust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKitten21 View Post

I've actually been in contact with one of the moms who lost their baby at Bragg 3 years ago. She's been a tremendous help! We also have a civi lawyer who is a retired Lt. Colonel from the JAG office. He's been a prosecutor, military judge, and something else.... he's written things in the Supreme Court, and he is seriously taking our case for all most nothing (normally charges 5k) because he feels this is a no brainer case and firmly believes we are in the right. This lawyer has a great record with fighting court martials, so we will see what happens.

The corporate Balfour Beatty office contacted me yesterday asking for our medical bills and other out of pocket expenses so maybe, just maybe, they want that because they know we are planning on taking them to court.

Needless to say, we will NEVER live on post at any installation ever again. 12 babies dead at Bragg, 2 babies stop breathing at Gordon, Bliss family sues for severely brain damaged infant due to housing stuff, and there's a baby at Lewis in a coma who still isn't breathing on his own (this is a very recent one) and his is believed to be from housing as well. How can the Army just turn a blind eye to these cases? And who in the wold holds these housing companies accountable?! so frustrating!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 03-23-2011, 04:56 PM

The thing is, even if the worst case scenario happens to my hubby, we are going to continue the fight. Sure, it's not going to be easy, and it will definitely be hard to ask "why me?" but honestly, maybe other families will speak out. They cant shut up a large crowd that are outraged and disgutsed ya know? If they ruin our lives over this, I will make it my life mission to advocate for this cause. No joke! Sounds kind of crazy, but if they take everything from us that we have, why not keep going? Nothing more to lose, ya know? 

If our case is documented, then other cases are documented, perhaps it will encourage others to speak out. Eventually, the numbers will outweigh their denial of any problems. It's just such a shame that people cant apologize. The mom I talked to whose child died 3 years ago at Bragg, said they STILL have yet to hear a single apology about their child dying. In fact, the people on post who deal with the deaths/murders refuse to talk to them! How sad is that?! It really disgusts me. *sigh* Who let's these people have these housing contracts?!?!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

You're doing the right thing. I have to wonder how some people sleep at night or even manage to live with themselves. There's a special place in hell for them.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post

You're doing the right thing. I have to wonder how some people sleep at night or even manage to live with themselves. There's a special place in hell for them.

haha! I like to think the same thing! You know what this situation will do though? If my husband is able to stay in after everything is said and done, he is going to make a damn good leader. I mean seriously, he will understand the battles and the issues. Hey soldier, you need some help? No problem. Hey soldier, your family is going through a rough time? How can we help? You need time off to take care of your family? Let's make that happen. I keep trying to remind my hubby of this.... but right now he has rather clouded vision (rightfully so!) and doesn't even know if he wants to stay in and be a part of something "not based on integrity and brotherhood anymore" .... I feel so bad :( I guess that's what we get for being on a TRADOC base though *sigh* 

Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 PM

And just one more vent... then I'll be done. I promise ;) I love how the command says "call us if you need anything! We've been out of the loop and we aren't mind readers, so call us when you need something!" Okay, no problem... well guess what? Hubby needs a ride home at 2 am from work. I called the Commander, and I said hey, you know how you told us  to call if we needed anything? Well, hubby needs a ride home. He said "Not my problem, call a cab!" Uhhh we live off post... a cab ride runs about $15.00. *sigh* this is the stuff we deal with every 5 minutes. If we didn't call, then they play the "well you should have called us first" deal.... ya know, it's just getting really annoying. The same thing happened when we were moving. His command refused to see if they could get people to help us, even though they knew hubby would be doing it alone. I mean honestly? Really? This isn't what we hear at all from other units/bases... and definitely has NOT been our experience anywhere else! 

Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 AM

Hey MK, it's okay to vent.  Bad things always seem to stick together, don't they? I'm sorry you're having a hard time right now.  Is your little girl doing alright now?

Lots of hugs for you and your family!

Old 03-24-2011, 01:19 PM

Yeah our daughter is doing much better. They are looking into other things the mold did wrong to her as well. She was very behind in all her milestones. Before we moved, she wasn't rolling over, sitting up, eating food (no interest) she wouldn't babble, she just was like a newborn. She never played with toys....etc etc. Well, since we've moved? This little bug is everywhere! She babbles, she is working on crawling, but she all ready scoots whever she wants to go. She holds the bottles herself (I am pumping.... supply issues so have to supplement sometimes as well) and she is sitting up all on her own. How does that happen?! So they are looking into the mold causing neuro stuff. Milestone wise, she's right on track now. The doctors told us we aren't out of the clear yet, that this could cause life long problems like ashtma and such.... just a waiting game! 

Old 03-24-2011, 01:55 PM

It's a blessing that she's recovering, and doing so well.  I saw a TV program years ago about a family that moved into a house not knowing about a mold problem.  By the time they figured it out, the Dad had permanent neurological damage--like he would never be able to work again.  I don't remember how the kids fared, but I remember the mom was the only one interviewed on the show.  Scary stuff.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:26 PM

Oh, mommakitten, I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. It reminds me off all the horrible things that happend in Camp Lejeune with the water contamination.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 PM

Mommakitten, call your congressman. That will put a lot of firepower in your corner.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 PM

We do have one congressman involved, however they said that they cant really get involved anymore since it's now as serious as it is. Does anyone know the rules on how long they can take the decide to take it to court martial or not? I mean, is there a set number of days before it's just a "dead issue" or what?

At first he was read an Article 15 that was a field grade with 4 counts. Then, we contacted our lawyer and congressman and they threw that one out and read him an Article 15 that was a company grade with 3 counts in it. My husband turned that down and asked for court martial. So that's where we are right now. Nothing else has happened (besides more retaliation since turning it down)

Old 03-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Omg!! Have good news!! Charlie and I are FINALISTS for a dream beach wedding package valued at 36 THOUSAND dollars!!!!! Each vote is a dollar donation, so even if we don't win, we are helping our troops (this is all through a non profit!) I contacted our newspaper back home (the one I have been in for all the service projects I've been doing for our troops) and hopefully they will run on story on it to try to help us get more votes!! I'm sooooo excited! We NEED this! We had to change our wedding plans so many times, and finally I just gave up and accepted I wouldn't get one. I'm not going to breathe again until this whole contest is over haha!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:34 AM

Woo hoo! Good luck!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:14 PM

This deployment is really hurting the kids... I had a conference at school for my Kindergartener yesterday and need to schedule one for my 2nd grader now. They are reacting total opposites... my kindergartener just shuts up and wont do anything (but once she gets over whatever is upsetting her, finishes up all her work without problem)... my 2nd grader is acting out and disrupting class :(

Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 PM

awwww MP I'm so sorry :( They are lucky to have a natural minded understanding mama like you though to help them through this!! Do you think having them journal throughout this will help them? Or something else like that?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 AM

DD1 doesn't quite seem able to express her emotions so maybe journaling will help. DS already does journals at school (one he's required to share with the teacher and one he's not) 

DD1 isn't going to be horribly hard to help... its DS that is the big problem... I have no clue how to help him :(

Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 PM

A friend of mine has this question and having never done a PCS, let alone one OCONUS... I have no clue the answer and am hoping some of you ladies do:

My husband just got his orders for our next station. We're going to be sent to Korea. While I'm excited there is one thing that concerns me. Does anyone know if we will have to pay for our plane tickets to Seoul or will that be taken care of for us? I've been pricing tickets and they are about $900 each. I know they reimbursed us to move out to California from Indiana, but I just don't know about the moving over seas/ how that works. Any one gone through something similar?

she mostly wants to know if she has to pay it out of her pocket and have it reimbursed (or not reimbursed) or if they pay for the ticket for her.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:06 PM

Army will pay for him and for her only if the orders include his family on them. That's how it was explained to me

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 PM

Does he have command sponsorship?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM

thanks Sara that was the term i could not remember when writing my post

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 PM

orders do include her, its for 3 years.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 PM

then they usually pay for transport from either current post or another hometown listed (usually where they take leave prior to moving over) it will also be where they ship a car if they are allowed one.

they will get breifings that cover all this, i sugest they go asap to them, they have good info they need before they get to far into it

User Tag List