Fat Mamas - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2011, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree about blood sugar and pressure not being controlled by weight. There is plenty of good research out there that says these issues are much more linked to genetics and to environmental factors such as stress, exercise and nutrition. I hope it didn't sound like I was saying something else in my previous post! I believe the "weight causes X" idea persists so firmly in the public (and lots of doctors' minds) only because we are forever forgetting that correlation is not causation, and because we already have strong prejudices against higher weights.

Incidentally, I formally declined the opportunity to drink sugar water and have my blood sugar "challenged" with this pregnancy. instead I am going to have a urine test and monitor my fasting and post-prandial blood sugars for one week starting at 28 weeks. I don't think glucose challenges are very healthy, and I would way rather have my urine and blood tested than have to drink something so yucky.

First baby due Oct/Nov 2011. Slowly finding my way...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 PM

Any advice about baby wearing for larger-bodied people? I am putting together a baby registry and one of the things I know I want is baby wraps & slings that will work for me and my partner, who is also not small. We both tend to have some trouble with our backs. I've heard the Moby is good--should we get a few different types of slings? I would like to have some comfortable options for longer wearing and at least one sling that is "easy on/off" for when we just have to pop into a store and I don't want to do a whole stroller thing. It seems like we will have to buy before we try, since there don't seem to be good stores to go try this stuff out, so I would love advice about what slings you use, how long you can use them comfortably, and how easy they are to get into and out of!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:38 AM

nmouse- both DW and I are both not small and we like the Becco Gemini and the Maya Wrap ring sling the best. The Gemini goes up to (I think) 52" waist with no extra extender. It does 4 different types of carries. The ring sling is the fastest and easiest to use. DD is 9 months now and we still use it regularly. It was great for the newborn stage- we could get her to sleep in about 2 seconds flat in that thing. Now we like it for quick trips, not long-wearing though as it hurts my shoulder after a long time. So I reach for the Gemini for long-wearing trips.

I liked the Moby in the newborn stage, but it definitely takes a long time to get the hang of and is not a quick on/off type deal. It's comfortable for long walking trips, though.

HTH! 

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Old 07-28-2011, 08:11 PM

I fit in here I've been overweight since I was a child also and I have 5 kids and one on the way  so I am still overweight. I've never had any problems with my health though either. I did get called a whale at the beach about a month ago @@ that was nice but I considered the source on that one a car full of drunk idiots checking out women like they were a piece of meat so what can you expect right? I'm married anyway and happy so I just rolled my eyes but it's still hurtful to hear people talk about you that way. My mil also told me I was fat and that it was so unhealthy yadyada but I have to consider the source on that one too she is completely obsessed with body image and not health. I wish I coudl say I didnt care but a part of me does care. I'm not going to starve myself though and I dont lose any sleep at night, I am just really tired of people saying mean things to me or about me it's like when you are fat people think you are void of feelings and that you arent worthy of acceptance and compassion...it's bullcrap. I just cant do anything about it but be angry. My dad is even guilty of it when I was only 2 month PP with one of my children I ordered a piece of cake for my husband btw and he was like "you arent going to eat that are you? you dont need that" my husband offered me half later and I couldnt even eat it and I cried.  So apparently fat people arent allowed to eat a damn piece of cake? I mean but a skinny person with diabetes and high cholesterol could and noone would bat an eye, I've seen it happen too. NICE....I am tired of people hurting my feelings for being fat though...I know I am fat I look at myself every day, do they think pointing it out is magically going to change it? what do they think they are accomplishing? I just dont get it.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

Old 09-08-2011, 02:37 PM

Hello!  I'm not just fat, I'm obese.  Can I count myself in?  I also don't have children, but plan on conceiving soon.  In the meantime I'm hitting the pavement hard to try to lose as much weight as I can before getting pregnant.  I do believe that exercise is also good during pregnancy, so I'll probably keep it up.  Just not as hard.

crochetsmilie.gifWife to DH (PhD candidate at U of T) who also photosmile2.gif.  We conceived baby #1 in September joy.gif.  We plan to signcirc1.gifbfinfant.gifmomsling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif and possibly homebirth.jpg

Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armidasawan View Post

Hello!  I'm not just fat, I'm obese.  Can I count myself in?  I also don't have children, but plan on conceiving soon.  In the meantime I'm hitting the pavement hard to try to lose as much weight as I can before getting pregnant.  I do believe that exercise is also good during pregnancy, so I'll probably keep it up.  Just not as hard.

Welcome! I personally don't like the word "obese", it's too clinical, but my doctor would certainly call me obese, in fact "mobidly obese". I just prefer to reclaim the word fat, I think it's a perfectly lovely word that has far too many negative connotations. So yes, you are certainly welcome here! And if you want to lose weight that is certainly fine, but I conceived without doctor's intervention when I was over 300 lbs. So please don't think you can't even try until you reach a certain weight if that is what you want to do!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 PM

Hi all,

Life had kept me away from here for awhile. Just my 2 cents.

I love my Moby. It is a pain in the butt to get into when by myself in a parking lot of a grocery store, but, ds loves the feeling & it is super comfy. With my dd after I purchased a couple of pricey organic carriers, her preference was the $10 Infantino front carrier bought during a trip out when the expensive carriers were accidently left at home. I'd reccomend registering for what you like, but best is to wait a few weeks & take the little one to the store and try em on.

I agree about obese. Not a very nice word. I used to like fluffy. Now I just say big girl.

Anyone catch the horrific train wreck show 'Big Diva' or whatever it is on TLC?  I am midly disturbed over that one.

Stay well!

Old 09-10-2011, 06:02 AM

Agreed, I typically describe myself as fat. But I also have noticed that people call themselves fat when they are just 20lbs overweight, so just wanted to make sure. I'm back and forth about whether to try to conceive now or wait until I have lost more weight. I don't worry that I wont be able to conceive at my current weight though. I just want to feel physically fit to be able to run after my baby all day long without losing my breath. And I'm getting there, I now move a lot faster and for a lot longer than I ever have in my adult life (I've been a fat kid from day 1, but I was a pretty active kid up to puberty).

crochetsmilie.gifWife to DH (PhD candidate at U of T) who also photosmile2.gif.  We conceived baby #1 in September joy.gif.  We plan to signcirc1.gifbfinfant.gifmomsling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif and possibly homebirth.jpg

Old 09-11-2011, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmouse

If we feel the only way we can prove ourselves worthy of respect and good treatment is by swearing up and down that we eat our vegetables, exercise, and have no health problems whatsoever, we are letting ourselves get sucked into an arguing stance that, in a way, sells out our future, less perfectly healthy selves and also dismisses other fat folks who have disability or reasons why they are just plain human and can't live up to those ideals. 

Good points!  

Old 09-11-2011, 12:52 AM

Pretty darn new here, but this thread gives me hope that I might fit in after all, as I definitely fall under the "fat" category, weighing in at a "higher than I would like" 245, but don't believe that it should have any effect on my efforts to conceive and carry my first child, as I take good care of myself, eat well, and have no known physical conditions that could cause problems. I've taken quite a bit of flack for my decision to go ahead and TTC without, as my mother put it, "losing the food baby before you gain an actual baby." Some of us were just meant to be heavier I suppose, but I can guarantee you that I'm in better shape than she is, and she's plenty thin! I feel that everybody who makes the decision to go ahead and have a child (or 3!) has some sort of stumbling block to overcome in the eyes of society. There's no such thing as physically, financially, *and* mentally prepared for such a monumental change in your life. We're planning a home birth, as I'm positively terrified of doctors and hospitals, and I was happy to see that a few of you have had successful home births at a higher weight. The midwives I've looked into have for the most part confirmed that size isn't so much an issue, but still, we live in a world where size is a *huge* issue to most people (no pun intended) where medical issues are concerned, so I can't help but be wary that somehow I'm not "good enough" to have the natural, non-phobic pregnancy I desire. My partner and I desire a child deeply, but due to her hysterectomy it's necessary for me to carry. It was a hard sell, but she convinced me in the end, so here I am. I'm a big supporter of the size-acceptance/HAES movement, so it's comforting to see my beliefs represented on this site! :D

Old 09-12-2011, 03:31 PM

So, is there a tribe for fat mama's?  Or is this an attempt to start one?  I'm not pregnant yet, but plan to TTC soon.  And as a fat mama I'm sure I'll have lots to talk about...Concerns that maybe not fat mamas don't have.  I just found a good blog.  So if there isn't any support here, where have you fat mamas gone to?  So far I've seen this: http://www.wellroundedmama.blogspot.com/

Old 09-12-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njessirae View Post

I've taken quite a bit of flack for my decision to go ahead and TTC without, as my mother put it, "losing the food baby before you gain an actual baby." 

I had to respond to this--I had the same ideas about myself at a pretty similar weight. But I am convinced by the research that weight cycling is very dangerous, especially for the heart, and pregnant women are at increased risk to regain any weight they recently lost just because of what the body is doing. So losing weight just before TTC and then gaining it back during pregnancy didn't seem like the greatest plan. I got pregnant at 250lb and have had a normal pregnancy so far, or at least the weird stuff hasn't been from weight (hormones + transverse baby = argh). 

I like this Plus Size Pregnancy site quite a bit, which is by the same person who writes Well Rounded Mama.

It's true that you find yourself under extra scrutiny about your size when you're pregnant. I really drew the line for a lot of people in my life prior to the pregnancy, making it clear that I view my health as separate from my weight, but with the number of new medical providers I've encountered with the pregnancy it's been a bit traumatic staking out this territory again and again. It's been surprising how often I encounter a professional who thinks that this pregnancy is the only time in my life I ever ate right or exercised, and finds it necessary to tell me what a great "change" I'm making. It helps a lot to have supportive people in my life, and going with homebirth helps too.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:14 PM

Awesome website, thanks!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Did I ever post this blog link?  When Health Speech is Hate Speech?   A lot of this resonated with me, especially this section: BMI is clearly a terrible proxy for health, but is there an “ideal” BMI that keeps a person safe from weight stigma?   How much is the right amount of disappearing  to keep from being a target of hate?  How much of you has to disappear to qualify for insurance without being forced to participate in Weight Watchers at work?  To keep you from being called a fatty during “Childhood Obesity Awareness Month”?  To prevent a weight loss lecture when you go in to see your doctor for a strep throat?  To keep you from being the one the other kids blame because there are no more cupcakes allowed at school?  How much of you has to disappear to make sure you can get a knee replacement without having to first mutilate your stomach?  To keep your school from sending your parents a failing “BMI report card”?  To keep you from worrying that the state will remove your children from your custody? 

: http://healthateverysizeblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/27/the-haes-files-when-health-speech-is-hate-speech/

Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmouse View Post

I had to respond to this--I had the same ideas about myself at a pretty similar weight. But I am convinced by the research that weight cycling is very dangerous, especially for the heart, and pregnant women are at increased risk to regain any weight they recently lost just because of what the body is doing. So losing weight just before TTC and then gaining it back during pregnancy didn't seem like the greatest plan. I got pregnant at 250lb and have had a normal pregnancy so far, or at least the weird stuff hasn't been from weight (hormones + transverse baby = argh). 

I like this Plus Size Pregnancy site quite a bit, which is by the same person who writes Well Rounded Mama.

It's true that you find yourself under extra scrutiny about your size when you're pregnant. I really drew the line for a lot of people in my life prior to the pregnancy, making it clear that I view my health as separate from my weight, but with the number of new medical providers I've encountered with the pregnancy it's been a bit traumatic staking out this territory again and again. It's been surprising how often I encounter a professional who thinks that this pregnancy is the only time in my life I ever ate right or exercised, and finds it necessary to tell me what a great "change" I'm making. It helps a lot to have supportive people in my life, and going with homebirth helps too. 

I love that site. I wish it was recent though. My first birth story is one there and I submitted my last, but I don't think the site has been updated since I submitted in back in 2009. 

Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 AM

Another FAT mama here. Been a LONG time science I have been active on MDC. So I am easing back in slowly.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 AM

I'm a fat momma too! Been struggling with it since I had my daughter. She's 9 now. Its been a tough road for me with all the things I have been through. I've tried losing the weight for my health, but seem to gain it all back and then some. So, now I'm at the heaviest I've ever been. And trying to accept it is hard!!! My Dr is worried that I'm going to end up with Diabetes since it runs in my family. So, now I'm looking into different eating habits and walking more. Lets see how this works out...... eat.gif

Old 05-16-2012, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

I watched a BBC program about exercise called The Truth About Exercise.  It is an hour long, but you can watch the whole thing on YouTube, since they have a channel there.  It was pretty interesting, and here is a link to an article about it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17177251

There was an experiment where the guy did 3 minutes of intense exercise a week and saw health improvements. Basically 20 seconds of intense exercise at a time, 3 times a day, 3 times a week. Most of the exercise I get these days is walking my dog, plus the bit of strength training I do to help my back injury.  So I've tried adding in the really stressful 20 second intervals into my walking, either by adding in a steep hill which I walk up as fast as I can, or I just flat out run uphill for as long as I can.  I've noticed that my cardiorespiratory fitness level has improved, I can now more easily walk up steep hills that had me more winded, and I'm now try to make my dog walking more intense where I can.  I just think it's interesting, because I used to do interval training as part of longer exercise sessions, and I continued to try and add little spurts of more intense stuff in, but I wasn't sure it really did anything.  But now that I'm actually concentrating on doing those little intense spurts, getting things really moving for that time, I do feel like it's helping. 

Old 08-11-2012, 05:43 PM

It's been almost a year since I posted on here! My baby is ten months old and we are looking at getting him a frame pack carrier (maybe a Deuter) for walks. I am not wild about going frame pack, but we want to back carry and I am concerned about using the Ergo that I have. Here are my concerns, and I am hoping that you larger mommas can talk about them:

1) I have a large, wide back, so when I get my baby up there his legs are practically doing the splits, going out to the sides. Arms too--he's kinda spread-eagled against my back. Happy though, at least for the five minutes we tried it.

2) I cannot, cannot get him on my back by myself. I've watched a lot of how-to-back-carry videos, and my plump arms just do not do the things these thin moms' arms do. Any of you have a good method for getting a squirrelly 10-month-old into an Ergo (or other soft shell) back carry?

TIA for any advice!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 PM

I wish I had some answers for you nmouse.  Neither of my little one's liked being in carriers of any sort.  

I was wondering if any of you knew of a fat acceptance or HAES forum.  It seems like there must be one, but I've never been able to find it.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone read this blog?  www.fathealth.wordpress.com  I have read some of the things out there, but I don't know if I specifically read them on this blog.  I discovered it after I was reading Rich and Heather's story on bigfatblog.  It is quite a heartbreaking tale.

Rubidoux, there is a fit fatties forum, but it seems specifically exercise related. I registered, but I keep forgetting to go there.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:17 PM

I
Quote:

Any advice about baby wearing for larger-bodied people? I am putting together a baby registry and one of the things I know I want is baby wraps & slings that will work for me and my partner, who is also not small. We both tend to have some trouble with our backs. I've heard the Moby is good--should we get a few different types of slings? I would like to have some comfortable options for longer wearing and at least one sling that is "easy on/off" for when we just have to pop into a store and I don't want to do a whole stroller thing. It seems like we will have to buy before we try, since there don't seem to be good stores to go try this stuff out, so I would love advice about what slings you use, how long you can use them comfortably, and how easy they are to get into and out of!

I love my boba and my Girasol wrap that was converted

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

Old 10-11-2013, 11:04 PM

@rubidoux - There is a ton of fat love available from the community of amazing people who attend NOLOSE. If you like what the NOLOSE site is all about, you might like to join their Facebook group, Fatlandia, though membership is mainly intended for people who are going to or have been to a NOLOSE conference (which I highly, highly recommend).

There is also a Fat Studies group on Yahoo that is run from a fat acceptance perspective, tho it is purposed toward supporting academics.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'm on that yahoo group, but I can't keep up with it all.  It's a good group, though!

Old 10-24-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:

1) I have a large, wide back, so when I get my baby up there his legs are practically doing the splits, going out to the sides. Arms too--he's kinda spread-eagled against my back. Happy though, at least for the five minutes we tried it.

2) I cannot, cannot get him on my back by myself. I've watched a lot of how-to-back-carry videos, and my plump arms just do not do the things these thin moms' arms do. Any of you have a good method for getting a squirrelly 10-month-old into an Ergo (or other soft shell) back carry?

If your baby is happy up there, then there's not need to worry.  I carry DD on my back all the time, she starts off with the splits, but she's always able to move her legs and arms to where she is comfortable.  Maybe your LO is not used to being on your back so he's not wiggling around as much.  My DD was a wiggler from the get go.  

I use the super man toss to get DD on my back.  Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG4YVrsO1lE#t=39

Old 12-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Just thought I'd bump this thread up and also point everyone to our group Plus Size Mamas. It was going pretty good for awhile but has gotten quiet over the past month or so. So maybe we can move this discussion over there and revivie the group a bit and see where it goes? We can do some contests and giveaways from time to time if that would be of interest. :love

User Tag List