Cannabis Mamas and MJ lovers - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 184 Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sooo glad I found you guys.  I am 34 and I'm 21 weeks pregnant with my second.  I have smoked since I was about 14 or 15 years old.  Even while pregnant with my first child who's now 5.  She's perfect.  So healthy, smart as can be, well above what she should be at 5 so I know first hand that pot does not hurt the babies.  I had actually quit for a while over the summer for the first time since I started because LO's dad was not cool with it.  Well, he left me high and dry for this pregnancy which has triggered my anxiety worse than anything ever.  I was on Klonopins for 9 years minus being pregnant with my 1st.  My anxiety has gotten wayyy worse since I had her and obviously, i can't take the pharm meds now.  So I've resorted back to smoking.  I, too, am worried that they will test me and/or my baby.  I'm a great mom, been at the same job for 11 years...I just don't see how anyone has the right to "regulate" what I do.  Ugh...it's so frustrating.  I just feel that smoking is way less harmful to my unborn child than having anxiety attacks everyday like I was before I took up smoking again.  I know there is not much advice you can give me other than better safe than sorry and to quit but...UGH...I can't imagine going back to having the anxiety attacks again.  

#92 of 184 Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 PM

welcome bree

thats a tough place to be in, hugs! mothering had written an article about this. Anybody have a link?

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#93 of 184 Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 AM

Hey everyone!

I'm a somewhat new member to the Mothering community. I just happened to see this group/thread and I'm pretty excited. I'm not a regular cannabis consumer, but SO is. We are also activists here in CO. I have done a ton of research on the cannabis plant as medicine and how it affects the body. I know someone, personally, who cured theirself of cancer using it (sounds crazy! that's why I started the research); as well as a few others. We have a (somewhat boring) free documentary on youtube about it. I also know about other benefits of it, such as the benefits of industrial hemp (oh man, there are so many!).

It's good to see other pro-mj mommies! I get so angry when I hear anti-mj mommies preaching what is obviously ignorance against it.

I wanted to add:

It can make anxiety worse if you consume a sativa strain. If you want to use it for anxiety, an indica strain would be much better as it has more CBD (causes relaxation).

#94 of 184 Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gennaxo View Post

Hey everyone!

I wanted to add:
It can make anxiety worse if you consume a sativa strain. If you want to use it for anxiety, an indica strain would be much better as it has more CBD (causes relaxation).

I have ptsd. I smoke for anxiety and anger control. I use sativa because indica makes me fall asleep on the couch instead of being productive. smile.gif

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#95 of 184 Old 01-09-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post

I have ptsd. I smoke for anxiety and anger control. I use sativa because indica makes me fall asleep on the couch instead of being productive. smile.gif

I was stating that in response to an earlier post saying it can exacerbate anxiety. Everyone is different, but generally if it makes you anxious, it's likely because you're sensitive to the high amount of thc and need more cbd to balance it out.
#96 of 184 Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM

Hi mamas, veteran MDCer here,  posting under a different name.  Can anyone tell me how long it takes for thc to clear your/baby system in prep for birth? I am planning an out-of-hossy birth but it just occurred to me, what happens drug-testing wise, if I have to transfer? I've been all over google looking for the answer but most aren't helpful/very judgmental and it's freaking me out even more :( If anyone has info specifically on Austin, TX hospitals (mandatory testing or not), that's even better :) Everything I'm reading says you're automatically suspicious if you're a HB transfer....ugh!

thanks in advance!!

#97 of 184 Old 01-23-2013, 01:11 PM

Hi hippyfashionista!

I had not smoked for almost 10 years when I got pregnant, so I'm not quite in the same situation as you - *but* I should warn you that I was drug tested, without my explicit consent, by my MIDWIFE here in NJ. (I probably signed some vaguely worded form that allowed them to do it, but it certainly wasn't explained clearly to me. I didn't even know I had been tested till I got the itemized bill for the labwork!)

I also had a cousin who had a hospital birth, and who was terrified that her baby's meconium would test positive for opiates, because she'd used non-prescribed painkillers for breakthrough pain in the second trimester. (According to her, she was using maybe one pill a week, which I still don't think is such a great idea...) But she wasn't tested at all, apparently.

So please don't assume that a midwife birth means you won't be drug tested, any more than an OB birth in the hospital means you will! (If you'll allow me to be cynical for a minute, I suspect it depends a lot more on things like age, race, marital status, and whether you have private insurance or not.)

#98 of 184 Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I was not tested during my hospital transfer nor in my home birth. I started using in between the two births and my home birth midwife knew I was smoking and condoned it for my mental health issues.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#99 of 184 Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 PM

kaiser in northern california tests with every urine sample without consent. They did for all three of my pregnancies.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#100 of 184 Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 AM

Hi all, i'm new! Just wanted to say hello :) trying to find a forum for smoking moms is tough!

#101 of 184 Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEP View Post

Hi all, i'm new! Just wanted to say hello :) trying to find a forum for smoking moms is tough!

Welcome.gif

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#102 of 184 Old 01-26-2013, 05:01 AM

Thank u for the welcoming! I am way out in MA pretty far from ya!

#103 of 184 Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 PM

**update** I talked with a doula friend of mine who has been attending Austin births for many years... She said they do not test without consent in Austin and when they did test, thc was not made an issue of.

As a paralegal, I read EVERYTHING I sign and I did not sign for any drug testing with my midwife...nor did she ask. I will coyly ask at my next appt with her just in case, coming up this week and will update again smile.gif

I will say that I feel pretty comfortable now I think of it, in this very crunch granola city there would be MANY mamas with big problems on their hands if thc were tested and acted upon.

Thanks for the responses smile.gif xo
#104 of 184 Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 AM

Hi to all the newbies!!! So happy to see this thread active =) I feel such a connection with you ladies juss knowin you all are ganja mommies. <3
#105 of 184 Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 AM

EVEP, where are you in Massachusetts? We know some people who live between Northampton and Worcester...
#106 of 184 Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

EVEP, where are you in Massachusetts? We know some people who live between Northampton and Worcester...

Springfield area! :)

#107 of 184 Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 PM

I think it's interesting that I keep up with this thread as I'm not really a smoker but it's so intertwined in my northern california life that it's nice to have input on your questions sometimes.

So what were the two states that went legal for recreational use? Colorado and Washington? Do any of you guys live there?

#108 of 184 Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 PM

Any Mama's near desert hill? Just moved here and would like to meet some new friends. Happy Sunday!

#109 of 184 Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 PM

I so wish we were in AZ. I just got done digging through a HUGE snow storm here in Mass. Yuck!!

#110 of 184 Old 02-11-2013, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegChaplauske View Post

Any Mama's near desert hill? Just moved here and would like to meet some new friends. Happy Sunday!

Where's that? I'm Phx :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEP View Post

I so wish we were in AZ. I just got done digging through a HUGE snow storm here in Mass. Yuck!!

I can't do winters...the weather depresses me after a while, sorry you're stuck in that:( It's supposed to be 60 today here and I'm bummed about that, after having sunny, warm weather last week!

How's everyone? We're still thinking of growing. I hate that we get all organic, natural foods, but just haven't forked over the money for good, medical grade weed (we get pretty good stuff for cheap and hubs smokes ALL THE TIME). I'm getting some this week though. I'ts 100 for a gram, does that sound reasonable? It's coming from cali, I have friends that have acard there and pick it up. I don't want to have to get a card for here but can if it's cheaper. DH has a little plant growing in our garden, lol, I think he's having a fun experiment. All of our neighbors seem to be smokers, so not SUPER worried about the smell if we started growing, just need the supplies, and maybe some starters.

I've been medicating myself lots lately. It's a challenging time and my hormones and moods have been insane and it's all that helps me to stop being upset sometimes! I'm hoping to fix my issues and not rely on it so much soon, Anyone else w/thyroid or adrenal issues? The mood swings are awful, thank God for mj sometimes. I also use it for my insomnia, so happy to have the option.

Anyone else get annoyed at DH smoking constantly? Mine does and wish he would stop sometimes, or at least try!

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#111 of 184 Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 AM

My DH is like that, can get annoying!!

#112 of 184 Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Hey Ladies,

I am wondering people's experience with using herbs during birth...I am coming on my due date this week and a kind friend in Humboldt sent me a nice tincture for use during the birthing process if I so desire.  I have not smoked regularly for a few years now and don't want to be 'high' just ease the pain so I figured a tincture was the way to go....anyway, any advice? experiences? Thanks!

#113 of 184 Old 02-11-2013, 05:39 PM

mamanesta my mom uses a tincture for pain but not for birth as she is done having babies. I don't think it get's you high if that's what you're wondering? I have a friend who makes them, I will ask her k

yiphip $100 a gram sounds pretty steep but I guess if you factor in the delivery fee? Clubs in CA for premo charge $50-$55 per eighth, plus tax

I have been looking at realty in Phoenix and dreaming about moving out there. My DH too is a constant smoker and extremely picky too. Not sure if he could deal with being away from the chronic

#114 of 184 Old 02-11-2013, 06:29 PM

Hi all!

I'm new here under this name, am actually on MDC all the time under another username, but feel a little funny posting as the real me since I work as a birth pro and clients have found me through this site.  anyway, i'm hoping I don't seem like a complete dork asking how I can get my hands on some MJ?  I feel uncomfortable asking most of the mamas I know, and my closest friends don't smoke any more.  I haven't smoked since I started dating DH.. sad but true.  But now I've got 3 awesome little boys, 6, 2 and 2 and would love to smoke a little and hang with them, totally getting into their world.  But, I have no idea where to find it.  I live in NJ and we're a long way from legalization here... Is there a safe and discreet place online?  Do I need to start bartending again?  Hope not! 

#115 of 184 Old 02-11-2013, 07:40 PM

Here is my friends reply

Tincture is great for any occasion. I've never gotten "high' on tincture.

It definitely wouldn't hurt to have it with you it might ease the situation and help the surrender to that mighty force.

#116 of 184 Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM

Desert Hills is North of Phoenix. Right new to anthem off 17.

#117 of 184 Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 PM

Desert Hills is North of Phoenix. Near Anthem off 17. Not terribly far from downtown.

#118 of 184 Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.nesta View Post

Hey Ladies,

I am wondering people's experience with using herbs during birth...I am coming on my due date this week and a kind friend in Humboldt sent me a nice tincture for use during the birthing process if I so desire.  I have not smoked regularly for a few years now and don't want to be 'high' just ease the pain so I figured a tincture was the way to go....anyway, any advice? experiences? Thanks!

We made a tincture a few months ago (OK, my babe's turning one next week and it was before that, I'm totally in denial w/his bday) and I never tried it. Have you had a baby or is this your first? If this is your first rodeo, I'd steer clear of something that has the chance to produce more anxiety. If you're not used to being high you don't want to start when you're in labor. However, if you've BTDT, it's worth a try! I'd try the tincture out beforehand if possible though. I smoked and ate some chocolate I'd made. I personally like it better for afterwards. My labors are superspeed and I need to focus the whole time, but it sure helps for after pains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

mamanesta my mom uses a tincture for pain but not for birth as she is done having babies. I don't think it get's you high if that's what you're wondering? I have a friend who makes them, I will ask her k

yiphip $100 a gram sounds pretty steep but I guess if you factor in the delivery fee? Clubs in CA for premo charge $50-$55 per eighth, plus tax

I have been looking at realty in Phoenix and dreaming about moving out there. My DH too is a constant smoker and extremely picky too. Not sure if he could deal with being away from the chronic

No, it was a relative, so no delivery fee for me, but she does have the person bring it to her hotel, I'll have to tell her to go somewhere, her card's good.

I didn't mean we don't have chronic here, we do, just can't afford it! It's legalized in AZ, so you can grow it w/a card or buy it from a grower too. I'm assuming you're in cali? Why do you want to move to phx??! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by beats View Post

Hi all!

I'm new here under this name, am actually on MDC all the time under another username, but feel a little funny posting as the real me since I work as a birth pro and clients have found me through this site.  anyway, i'm hoping I don't seem like a complete dork asking how I can get my hands on some MJ?  I feel uncomfortable asking most of the mamas I know, and my closest friends don't smoke any more.  I haven't smoked since I started dating DH.. sad but true.  But now I've got 3 awesome little boys, 6, 2 and 2 and would love to smoke a little and hang with them, totally getting into their world.  But, I have no idea where to find it.  I live in NJ and we're a long way from legalization here... Is there a safe and discreet place online?  Do I need to start bartending again?  Hope not! 

Bartending might be the way to go, ha! I usually bring it up casually in conversations, usually people are cool with it, but rarely do I meet other smokers. Since you're in the birthing world, start talking about it's benefits for MS. I'd always tell ppl how there's no studies suggesting harm to baby or mom, but there are plenty of studies showing how not eating enough can definitely harm the baby. These are the facts, what can happen? They either disrespect your opinion (or you and who needs em then anyway!), or you found a new connection! Maybe even starting by checking around for "a friend that has bad MS"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyO View Post

Desert Hills is North of Phoenix. Right new to anthem off 17.

Ahh, I used to live in Anthem, and in New River, but now I'm all the way east in Mesa...probably 1 1/2 away!

#119 of 184 Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 PM

I was dreaming of Phoenix because my company would pay me the same if I transferred there but you get a mansion there for a shack here. I've been putting out offers on said shacks for six months but every house has 20 plus offers to compete with. I'm getting really disgusted that I can't buy a house.

#120 of 184 Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM

Beats- I'm in ma and you wouldn't believe the amount of ppl that smoke bud. I'd just ask around! :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page