Cannabis Mamas and MJ lovers - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 184 Old 05-12-2013, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Mothers day everyone! Sitting down enjoying a cup of tea and a joint while the LO is sleeping with daddy smile.gif A great start to a first mother's day!
~D~ likes this.
#152 of 184 Old 05-14-2013, 08:06 PM

Hey all,

I am new to this group and have a quick question.  I haven't used mj in years since my first pregnancy and nursing relationship started.  But now I am pregnant with #2 (at 22 weeks if that matters), still nursing a toddler, and am having horrendous leave-me-in-tears-and immobilized on the ground s-i joint pain.  my first visit to the chiropractor today was beneficial and informative, but squatting down this afternoon triggered another round of intense pain to where I could not walk for over an hour (and panicked when said toddler disappeared into the garage for several minutes and I cannot move!).  So my husband recommended I try mj for some relief.  any thoughts? 

I absolutely hate taking meds, and I am doing my best to refuse tylenol since when you search for safety in pregnancy they say that while the safety of tylenol has never been studied in pregnant women, it has had the least amout of adverse effects.  Not reassuring.  I am resting as much as possible, stretching as advised by chiropractor, icing the area, and trying to maintain a positive mental attitude.  will this help?  how much should I use?  should I use it daily for a while or just when in severe pain?

thanks so much for any feedback!

#153 of 184 Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 AM

I would try it in small amounts, as needed at first! That sounds awful! I hope it helps! <3
#154 of 184 Old 05-15-2013, 06:56 PM

thanks owlhowl, I think I will give it a go once in a while and see if I notice any change or benefit.  

after lots of research last night, I am less worried about it, and figure it has to be safer than pharmaceuticals.  if I notice it helping, i'll post back for reference.

#155 of 184 Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbabymama View Post

Hey all,
I am new to this group and have a quick question.  I haven't used mj in years since my first pregnancy and nursing relationship started.  But now I am pregnant with #2 (at 22 weeks if that matters), still nursing a toddler, and am having horrendous leave-me-in-tears-and immobilized on the ground s-i joint pain.  my first visit to the chiropractor today was beneficial and informative, but squatting down this afternoon triggered another round of intense pain to where I could not walk for over an hour (and panicked when said toddler disappeared into the garage for several minutes and I cannot move!).  So my husband recommended I try mj for some relief.  any thoughts? 

I absolutely hate taking meds, and I am doing my best to refuse tylenol since when you search for safety in pregnancy they say that while the safety of tylenol has never been studied in pregnant women, it has had the least amout of adverse effects.  Not reassuring.  I am resting as much as possible, stretching as advised by chiropractor, icing the area, and trying to maintain a positive mental attitude.  will this help?  how much should I use?  should I use it daily for a while or just when in severe pain?

thanks so much for any feedback!

Do you think it is sciatic nerve pain? I had that for the last two months of my third pregnancy and it was horrible.

Cannabis isn't really too harmful. I would try edibles, rather than smoking just because smoking anything during pregnancy cuts off oxygen to baby. I'm sure just a few hits, wouldn't be a big deal, though. I read a study that found women who used cannabis during pregnancy had babies with higher IQs than those of women who did not lol.
#156 of 184 Old 05-17-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Any recommendations for a small vaporizer?

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#157 of 184 Old 05-18-2013, 01:07 PM

Deer valley isn't bad. Found ourselves a nice little house on a very quiet street just wish we had more of a yard! :-)
#158 of 184 Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 AM

Hello all!! SO GRATEFUL to have found this group! I'm a sahm of a beautiful on. year old boy and currently 10 weeks pregnant with our second baby. I'm still breastfeeding and I've pretty much abstained from marijuana(other than once or twice since my son was born). However with this pregnancy the nausea and depression are wearing me down to the point I've just been in tears most of the day. A few days ago I gave in and smoked and have for the past several days to get some relief.
Anyways I'm a nervous wreck now because we have a wic appt tomorrow and I'm not sure if we'll be tested for thc? And Id like to ask too, when would a doctor check a babys diaper/ bloodwork for thc? I think my son might have a yeast infection ir uti annd I'm scared of what might happen? When should a nursing mom whoss toked worry about the child getting tested? any advice or experience would be great!!
#159 of 184 Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerville View Post

Hello all!! SO GRATEFUL to have found this group! I'm a sahm of a beautiful on. year old boy and currently 10 weeks pregnant with our second baby. I'm still breastfeeding and I've pretty much abstained from marijuana(other than once or twice since my son was born). However with this pregnancy the nausea and depression are wearing me down to the point I've just been in tears most of the day. A few days ago I gave in and smoked and have for the past several days to get some relief.
Anyways I'm a nervous wreck now because we have a wic appt tomorrow and I'm not sure if we'll be tested for thc? And Id like to ask too, when would a doctor check a babys diaper/ bloodwork for thc? I think my son might have a yeast infection ir uti annd I'm scared of what might happen? When should a nursing mom whoss toked worry about the child getting tested? any advice or experience would be great!!

I really can't imagine WIC testing, or caring really. I've been in the program in 2 states for 3 yrs and there's never any question, they're more concerned w/diet. Just tell them what they want to hear and they'll give you your checks.

I don't go to the doctor much, but the times I have taken them there's no worries, I wouldn't know why they'd test unless you show up totally stoned, lol! If they have no reason to be suspicious then why would they test for any drugs? Why would a doc check a diaper for THC? Just be responsible, it sounds like you're really worried about this, maybe study more about it so you're not so scared of it? I personally would take the mj over the depression/nausea, for the health of your babies and you, but if you're not sure it's the right choice it'll just make you more anxious. Good luck :)

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#160 of 184 Old 05-28-2013, 08:30 AM

WIC only gets involved if they KNOW that you have an Active Medical Card, in a legal state. Then they discourage you from breastfeeding and won't give you your free pump. That's it. It is totally not evidence based, but that is what does go down. They don't otherwise test.

#161 of 184 Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 AM

Thank you for the replies smile.gif we went to our first appt today at wic and they tested for iron...and my weight ;( but wow I had myself so worked up! Honestly the mj is a godsend for the m/s and depression so my plan is just to use it as needed up until 15 weeks or so(when babys meconium starts storing up). I definitely don't want to use it if I'm going to be stressing over my sson being tested tho. But that was something I was trying to find information on, like if a pediatrician decides to check babys blood/urine wouldn't the test be comprehensive and test for thc? The doctor may not be looking for it but the labs may still show it because they test for everything in order to find out what's causing the issue? Does anybody know how that works? I've been searching online and can't seem to find an answer and its hard searching for something that's still taboo lol kwim? Other than that Id love to continue with the mj until m/s subsides.
#162 of 184 Old 06-09-2013, 05:04 AM

They do test in the hospital, sorta on the regular. 

However, they don't @ just regular Dr. Apts for your child or anything. I am not really sure that much transfers during lactation either (I have seen studies as low as 0.2% of maternal dose, not really enough to cause a positive or detectable effects, but you could buy some cheap tests @ the $ store if you wanted to test while nursing.

#163 of 184 Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 PM

Hi there, new to this site :) Ill just start by saying how very happy I am to have found you all. Aside from two relatives and my DH, I have no friends who smoke, so sometimes I can feel pretty isolated. I have smoked heavily*(in my opinion, whats a lot?) for about 5 years or so and it has been so wonderful. I use to have a lot of stress, anxiety, headaches, stomach aches and trouble sleeping. Since I started smoking, I honestly feel like a more relaxed, easy going person and enjoy my life more. Well, just found out recently that I'm pregnant and about 5 weeks along. I thought that I would have to stop smoking for the pregnancy and maybe even for good, but I have been doing a lot of research and reading these threads and I'm now thinking that might not be the case.

It seems that there are a lot of mothers out there that have smoked through their pregnancy and did not have any complications from it. Most everything I have read suggests that there is no real evidence that smoking mj will harm the fetus or cause long term side effects. I would imagine that pharmaceuticals would be way more detrimental, but that is only my opinion. When I take everything I have read and combine that with my own logic and opinions, I really don't think that it will cause any harm, besides the smoke causing oxygen deprivation, which makes sense. But I also do not want to risk the health of my future child.

I have read many posts from people stating they smoked while pregnant. I'm wondering how much you were smoking and was it on a daily basis? I used to pretty much only smoke in the evenings, maybe more on the weekends. When I got the PPT I stopped smoking and have had a very hard time falling and staying asleep. I took a hit or two out of a vaporizer in the evenings the last couple of nights to help me fall asleep. I cant imagine that sleep deprivation would be good for a developing fetus.

I know it's been a while since someone has posted, but if you could find it in your hearts to help a fellow smoker out and share your experience smoking while pregnant. My main questions are:

Did you tell your midwife? I have a consultation in a week and would really like to get her opinion on this but am afraid that she wont take me as a birth center/home birth client if I'm honest. Will admitting to this and seeking information make me ineligible for an out of hospital birth? I live in western Washington.

Did you have any complications during pregnancy that you might think relates to smoking while pregnant?

Did your babies end up with any physical or behavioral abnormalities? I'm especially curious to hear from mothers of older children, even adults, because I know there had to have been smoking mamas back in the day!

I have read several of Ina Mays books and havent found it mentioned. I don't want to stereotype or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if people who gave birth at the farm were smokers. Any one have any info on this?

I apologize for the long post, I just have a lot of questions and just honestly want to do the right thing. Thanks!

#164 of 184 Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 PM

most hospitals will test for MJ and might even get social services involved. But isn't it legal in Washington now? Or maybe I'm thinking of another state. I've never had a midwife only hospital births so I couldn't give advice there. Congrats on your pregnancy!!! and welcome to MDC

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#165 of 184 Old 08-09-2013, 02:39 AM

So smoking anything in pregnancy does involve some oxygen loss: I would invest in a non-combustible method, like a vape . . .

As for Ina May, I have been told all that talk in Spiritual Midwifery about highs is less metaphorical than one might think! LOL
#166 of 184 Old 08-09-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMama88 View Post

Hi there, new to this site smile.gif Ill just start by saying how very happy I am to have found you all. Aside from two relatives and my DH, I have no friends who smoke, so sometimes I can feel pretty isolated. I have smoked heavily*(in my opinion, whats a lot?) for about 5 years or so and it has been so wonderful. I use to have a lot of stress, anxiety, headaches, stomach aches and trouble sleeping. Since I started smoking, I honestly feel like a more relaxed, easy going person and enjoy my life more. Well, just found out recently that I'm pregnant and about 5 weeks along. I thought that I would have to stop smoking for the pregnancy and maybe even for good, but I have been doing a lot of research and reading these threads and I'm now thinking that might not be the case.
It seems that there are a lot of mothers out there that have smoked through their pregnancy and did not have any complications from it. Most everything I have read suggests that there is no real evidence that smoking mj will harm the fetus or cause long term side effects. I would imagine that pharmaceuticals would be way more detrimental, but that is only my opinion. When I take everything I have read and combine that with my own logic and opinions, I really don't think that it will cause any harm, besides the smoke causing oxygen deprivation, which makes sense. But I also do not want to risk the health of my future child.
I have read many posts from people stating they smoked while pregnant. I'm wondering how much you were smoking and was it on a daily basis? I used to pretty much only smoke in the evenings, maybe more on the weekends. When I got the PPT I stopped smoking and have had a very hard time falling and staying asleep. I took a hit or two out of a vaporizer in the evenings the last couple of nights to help me fall asleep. I cant imagine that sleep deprivation would be good for a developing fetus.
I know it's been a while since someone has posted, but if you could find it in your hearts to help a fellow smoker out and share your experience smoking while pregnant. My main questions are:
Did you tell your midwife? I have a consultation in a week and would really like to get her opinion on this but am afraid that she wont take me as a birth center/home birth client if I'm honest. Will admitting to this and seeking information make me ineligible for an out of hospital birth? I live in western Washington.
Did you have any complications during pregnancy that you might think relates to smoking while pregnant?
Did your babies end up with any physical or behavioral abnormalities? I'm especially curious to hear from mothers of older children, even adults, because I know there had to have been smoking mamas back in the day!
I have read several of Ina Mays books and havent found it mentioned. I don't want to stereotype or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if people who gave birth at the farm were smokers. Any one have any info on this?

I apologize for the long post, I just have a lot of questions and just honestly want to do the right thing. Thanks!

Hey! I have smoked, mainly out of a vape for both of my pregnancies, my children are fine. I would say I am a heavy consumer. Usually vaping about 3-5 times a day. A half oz lasts us a little over a week. My midwife is aware and the only thing she has said is she suggest I slow down/stop a few weeks prior to birth, just so I wouldn't have to worry about cps if they did happen to test the baby. But I'm not worried about cps at all.. The only negative I've had is it makes my normal pregnancy cravings 10x worse lol
#167 of 184 Old 08-10-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaeRae91 View Post

Hey! I have smoked, mainly out of a vape for both of my pregnancies, my children are fine. I would say I am a heavy consumer. Usually vaping about 3-5 times a day. A half oz lasts us a little over a week. My midwife is aware and the only thing she has said is she suggest I slow down/stop a few weeks prior to birth, just so I wouldn't have to worry about cps if they did happen to test the baby. But I'm not worried about cps at all.. The only negative I've had is it makes my normal pregnancy cravings 10x worse lol

This was pretty much me too during both of my pregnancies. I smoke daily, although less frequently now (once a day, as opposed to a few times a day). I quit several weeks before my due date both times, though since I had hospital births.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#168 of 184 Old 08-10-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Also a regular 'vaper' during pregnancy (at least every evening, often throughout the day if feeling sick or stressed). Otherwise there would be very little food or sleep for me! Both mine are healthy and intellegent, most developmental milestones came early too. I wouldn't tell your midwife unless you totally trust her, but if you barely know her yet you might want to stay on the safe side. Also don't write it down anywhere, you don't want that in your chart if you need to transfer. I've never stopped before the due date, never worried about it I guess.

You might start getting morning sickness too, it's a little early now, and that's the only thing that allowed me to eat for the first few wks of all mine. Eating stoned is healthier than not eating at all or throwing it all up;)

#169 of 184 Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 PM

Thank you all for your replies. Yes it is "legal" in Washington now, but that is not to say that you still wont get in trouble for it, and being pregnant I'm really not sure what they would do. I think the the worst part of this for me, is just not knowing. Not knowing what my midwife will say/do, not knowing how things will turn out whether I smoke or not, not knowing if I am making the right decision no matter what I decide. I am kind of a control freak, I just like to have all the information and know every step of the process and whats going to happen next, and with pregnancy, and then motherhood, there is so much unknown. It is very hard to get used to, and Ive barely started!

#170 of 184 Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 AM

I am not sure why I have such a longing. I guess I really feel like I need to figure some very big choices about where to raise my kids (lifestyle) and that is pretty open for us, but family is on the East Coast. Anyway.. I just read someone else's thread that really fit me.

10.gif
#171 of 184 Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 AM

Did any of you happen to catch Dr Gupta's special on CNN called "Weed"? If so, what did you think of it?
#172 of 184 Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I haven't caught it yet... hoping to find it online and watch it soon!

Have any of you tried juicing MJ?  Apparently in its unheated form, the THC is actually THCA and not psychoactive, but still has a lot of the health benefits (plenty of CBDA, Delta-9, etc.).  I currently get a raw juice from my local dispensary (juiced MJ mixed with juiced fruit and veggies), but am considering growing and juicing my own.  Just wondering if anyone else uses this form.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#173 of 184 Old 08-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Haven't tried juicing, but a friend of mine makes a highly concentrated drink that we dilute in water or soda (Coke really is the best for complimenting flavors for some reason). He cooks highly potent pot in the oven, then mixes it with grain alcohol somehow and boils it to a certain temp. I've watched him do it a few times but can't remember all the steps involved. It's great though. Like a slow release high that makes me feel a little peppy too. I love it.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#174 of 184 Old 10-20-2013, 05:17 PM

hey yippiehippie and or anyone else.. can you recommend a small vaporizer?  Oh, and do you know if you can use the vaped cannabis to make something? 

#175 of 184 Old 10-20-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meta mom View Post

hey yippiehippie and or anyone else.. can you recommend a small vaporizer?  Oh, and do you know if you can use the vaped cannabis to make something? 

I ended up getting a Da Vinci vape. I like it b/c you can tell the exact temp. Drawback is loading it and doesn't hold a ton. But you can use it for essential oils too which is neat. We've made baked goods w/the left overs, you could smoke it too, but yuk. I can't say I remember what the baked goods were like, but I believe it worked, just cook in butter first like w/any other!

#176 of 184 Old 10-27-2013, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Ha!! Never even imagined looking up using MJ during pregnancy! I am currently miscarrying and have smoked cigs for 18 years. Was looking up vaping info and came across this! I know I need to quit smoking and since this is my 3rd mc, I just feel I should try everything possible to be as healthy as possible. But I do love me some MJ! I live in OK and I'd bet this will be the LAST state to legalize. So freaking conservative here! But then again, ppl my age, 37, are pretty open to it even if they don't partake. So maybe if more of our younger population would actually vote....or maybe as the older generation dies off....wishful thinking.

Anyway, great finding this thread. I always quit toking as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I do have 3 healthy children. It never occurred to me to continue....glad to hear so many ppl have had positive experiences with this.

Me , 38 years old; DH , 39 years old
DD - 11 , DD - 9 (both from previous marriage), and me and DH have DS - 4 .
07/04, 02/13, 10/13, 02/14,
05/14
#177 of 184 Old 10-27-2013, 08:14 PM

Anyone who's been told MJ will hurt their unborn/ BFing baby, research the work of Dr. Melanie Dreher. It's been ridiculously repressed. MJ is **GOOD** for your baby. You'll end up with a really darn smart kid if you use MJ while pregnant. Granted, smoking anything causes oxygen deprivation, but there are plenty of other methods of MJ consumption.

Unfortunately, CPS can get involved if mama tests positive. I know a super-awesome, AP couple in California (where it is legal) who ended up with CPS threatening them, and mama had to be tested regularly by CPS until baby was about 6 months old.

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.   namaste.gif  ribbonpb.gif  joy.gif
#178 of 184 Old 06-28-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemieprincess View Post
<p>Anyone who's been told MJ will hurt their unborn/ BFing baby, research the work of Dr. Melanie Dreher. It's been ridiculously repressed. MJ is **GOOD** for your baby. You'll end up with a really darn smart kid if you use MJ while pregnant. Granted, smoking anything causes oxygen deprivation, but there are plenty of other methods of MJ consumption.<br><br>
Unfortunately, CPS can get involved if mama tests positive. I know a super-awesome, AP couple in California (where it is legal) who ended up with CPS threatening them, and mama had to be tested regularly by CPS until baby was about 6 months old.</p>
Just bumping up again

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#179 of 184 Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by preemieprincess View Post
<p>Anyone who's been told MJ will hurt their unborn/ BFing baby, research the work of Dr. Melanie Dreher. It's been ridiculously repressed. MJ is **GOOD** for your baby. You'll end up with a really darn smart kid if you use MJ while pregnant. Granted, smoking anything causes oxygen deprivation, but there are plenty of other methods of MJ consumption.<br><br>
Unfortunately, CPS can get involved if mama tests positive. I know a super-awesome, AP couple in California (where it is legal) who ended up with CPS threatening them, and mama had to be tested regularly by CPS until baby was about 6 months old.</p>
wow...this is pretty interesting. i, myself have smoked my share of mj early on in life, however when it comes to having a baby, why even think about putting him or her at risk? why can't you just go without it? if you find yourself making all kinds of excuses of WHY to use it, then you may have an addiction. and i'd recommend going to seeing a psychiatrist... these days doctors will say and give you anything! they also want to get their name out, so they will stir up controversial topics and so forth.

all i can see is BE CAREFUL and better to go down the safe route and not put anything like that in your body!!

~ I am obsessed with car seat safety and advice on the best car seats!

Love you all!!
Kaitlyn R.
#180 of 184 Old 07-08-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashibowa79 View Post
wow...this is pretty interesting. i, myself have smoked my share of mj early on in life, however when it comes to having a baby, why even think about putting him or her at risk? why can't you just go without it? if you find yourself making all kinds of excuses of WHY to use it, then you may have an addiction. and i'd recommend going to seeing a psychiatrist... these days doctors will say and give you anything! they also want to get their name out, so they will stir up controversial topics and so forth.

all i can see is BE CAREFUL and better to go down the safe route and not put anything like that in your body!!

First of all, MJ is not addicting, no more than sex is addicting. Yes, there are cases where people have psychological issues and use something (sex, MJ, video games, etc) to distract them from real life and feel good. However, MJ in itself is not addicting.
It's not a matter of why not go without it, it's a matter of why should you? There are far more harmful things that most pregnant women are exposed to, including white sugar, cow milk, caffeine, toxins in the air, in our plastic, in our lip gloss, etc. The argument that MJ puts the baby at risk ignores all the other, much riskier things that we expose our babies to at every moment of their gestation. Also, as mentioned previously, there are multiple studies that show positive results from the use of MJ while pregnant and nursing. All credible evidence shows that MJ is one of the most benign substances we can put in our bodies. We actually have a specific receptor in our brain for THC (unlike other drugs which act on other receptors in our brain) and it's naturally occurring in breast milk as well.

I hope you don't take this as a personal attack, your view is a very common one. I just couldn't bypass the chance to say something.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page