Military Moms: May-June 2011 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I realized I hadn't started new thread for May.

Congratulations on expecting a new addition, Rachel! 

As far as the job situation, we're still waiting to hear back from IBM about his background check. Funny enough, he got an email today offering him an AGR captain slot in Phoenix, AZ. I think we're strongly considering it but we need more details about the unit's future plans and what the conditions of the orders are. It mostly has to do with finances at this point, Arizona is a lot more realistic financially than DC. They want an answer by Friday.

I'm almost 32 weeks now and physically I feel good but I'm tired and going into hibernation mode. I just want to move on to the next stage of things and focus on meeting our newest addition without having to worry about everything else. We aren't moving until the beginning of August, I'm technically due July 2nd but I don't anticipate making it that far, somewhere between 20-29th sounds about right.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 PM

Hi folks welcome to may!

Haven't done an intro in a while....
I'm a army wife currently stationed in DC, dh is in the medical core and is neck deep in the BRAC that is merging Walter Reed with National Naval Medical Center. We moved here in Sept when I was 20 weeks preggo and now have 4 month old twins. Life as a mom has been treating me very good, I feel like I'm turning out to better at this than I had thought I would be. I have even toyed with the idea of having more, but I think in the end I will come to understand that's a bit crazy.

I'm feeling pretty disconnected to the military as a whole right now, medical units that are hospitals or clinics tend to be pretty scattered, and since they do not deploy together (usually are loaned out provost one at a time) there is not really any FRG or unit function. Between that and not living on or near a real base, it feels far away. Some would like that, I kinda find it a bummer, there is something I like about being around on a base, even to just go to the px and the gym, I feel like I'm not alone then. I could use a bit more of that right now.

If I was not up to my eyebrows in babies, I would go look for some army volunteer roles, but I'm in no spot for any of that.

We did get an invite to a tribute dinner to combat medics, Gen. Odierno was the keynote speaker and that was pretty powerful, he is a very charismatic powerful speaker.

anyway, happy May everyone, great news about Osama, sad more had to die, but at least it was the guilty this time. Hope this gives focus and an end game to all the missions. I've never known the military in a time of peace, it is a far away dream that seems a tiny bit closer this week.

On a lighter note, today is one year from when I ovulated in that blissful cycle my twins came into this world. It seems like a wonderful thing to celebrate! So happy LifeDay babies, you are truly one year old today!!!!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 76 Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 AM

I celebrated the cycle I got pregnant with Mae. A lot of people celebrated with me (not realizing they were, it was Christmas! lol)

We have passed our mail cutoff... I've started making signs... I HAD bought a gorgeous dress to wear but the gosh darn post office didn't deliver it until 20 days later and by then I was gone on vacation... they attempted to deliver it twice, on the 27th and 28th and then returned it on the 2nd because I wasn't able to get into the post office... I hadn't gotten home until the 30th! Their policy is supposed to be first delivery... final attempt 3 days later) NOT the freaking NEXT day) and then return to sender 5 postal days after the first notice (which would be today) I even did their online form but they gave me the wrong number on my cards so it did me no good. I am SO grumpy right now.

Oh well, guess it means I need to reorder it and hope THIS time it gets here in time for homecoming!

oh and my introduction:

I used to be Army, my husband is a Marine, my brother is Army, sister is joining the Navy, one brother-in-law is a Marine, the other is joining the Navy, my step-dad is retired Navy... not to mention various cousins that are every branch but Air Force (not sure why none there) so I am unfortunately very much in a military family. Which is crazy because 5 years ago the only connection I had was myself former Army and my father Navy and not a sign of any other military.

My husband is currently deployed through some pretty big issues... in Japan during the earthquake/tsunami and while tornadoes hit us here... I can NOT wait until this deployment is over and I get him home.

And because I'm a geek: May the Fourth be with you!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#4 of 76 Old 05-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi Mamas, I hope I can join your thread :)

My DF is a Reserves Marine, and we are expecting our baby in Dec (I have 2 children from a previous marriage). He is leaving in 5 days to go to Africa for his annual training for a month. I've never dealt with him being gone on deployment, I met him after he got back from Iraq last year.

But, I am still nervous about him being gone for a month. I'm having some pregnancy complications (SCH) and I don't have anyone else close to me where I live.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#5 of 76 Old 05-08-2011, 04:23 PM

Adorkable, we were stationed at NNMC before we PCSed to Hampton Roads. I had my right now youngest at the hospital. It is a different feeling. Very civillian being there. I understand your being disconnected and wanting more of that military feeling. I admit I didnt understand that till we moved here and got our first shore duty though! I am a Navy wife but understand what you mean very well! And btw your twins are adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

Hi folks welcome to may!

Haven't done an intro in a while....
I'm a army wife currently stationed in DC, dh is in the medical core and is neck deep in the BRAC that is merging Walter Reed with National Naval Medical Center. We moved here in Sept when I was 20 weeks preggo and now have 4 month old twins. Life as a mom has been treating me very good, I feel like I'm turning out to better at this than I had thought I would be. I have even toyed with the idea of having more, but I think in the end I will come to understand that's a bit crazy.

I'm feeling pretty disconnected to the military as a whole right now, medical units that are hospitals or clinics tend to be pretty scattered, and since they do not deploy together (usually are loaned out provost one at a time) there is not really any FRG or unit function. Between that and not living on or near a real base, it feels far away. Some would like that, I kinda find it a bummer, there is something I like about being around on a base, even to just go to the px and the gym, I feel like I'm not alone then. I could use a bit more of that right now.

If I was not up to my eyebrows in babies, I would go look for some army volunteer roles, but I'm in no spot for any of that.

We did get an invite to a tribute dinner to combat medics, Gen. Odierno was the keynote speaker and that was pretty powerful, he is a very charismatic powerful speaker.

anyway, happy May everyone, great news about Osama, sad more had to die, but at least it was the guilty this time. Hope this gives focus and an end game to all the missions. I've never known the military in a time of peace, it is a far away dream that seems a tiny bit closer this week.

On a lighter note, today is one year from when I ovulated in that blissful cycle my twins came into this world. It seems like a wonderful thing to celebrate! So happy LifeDay babies, you are truly one year old today!!!!

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
#6 of 76 Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Adorkable - I'm sorry you're feeling disconnected. I would suggest mom groups but I know that isn't the same thing.

We're heading to Phoenix. DH will finish out his last three years with a Army Reserve MI unit there. He's getting promoted and he's working with a small staff, but it sounds like it will be really flexible. And no anticipated deployments for the next three years, even then they only deploy as a company so if they don't need someone they don't take them. I was looking forward to having the job with IBM work out and being closer to family but they didn't offer him enough money, at least this way he can gain more experience and the cost of living will be much less. Oh and they drill in Hawaii. I think mama is going to get a beach vacation winky.gif

His start date is August, 8th so we'll probably start the trip out of here on the 1st. It should take us about 5 days. I'm sad to leave my friends and neighborhood here but I'm looking forward to new beginnings, and I'm under far less stress now so I can concentrate on finishing out my pregnancy.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#7 of 76 Old 05-11-2011, 12:53 PM

Hi everyone. I've been an Army wife for 10 years. We're in Georgia now. I've got three little ones with another one on the way.   Just thought I'd stop in and meet with other Army wives who are more natural minded.  We just moved to our new post and I haven't met anyone yet who "thinks like me" in terms of birthing and parenting and while that doesn't mean I can't be friends with those wives I meet, I must admit, it makes me feel a little lonely at times.  It's just nice when you meet someone that feels the way you do about things.  

:
#8 of 76 Old 05-11-2011, 03:39 PM

I've been blessed to meet a couple ladies who feel the same way... but I know how you feel... back home no one did. My own mother thought it was crazy to homebirth and only backed off from arguing with me over it because my husband would be there.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#9 of 76 Old 05-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Army wives come from a varied background so there's all types around a military post, that's for sure and I often think there must be natural minded mamas out there, but they, like me, don't tend to advertise their alternative way of thinking for so many reasons.....people looking at you strangely, not understanding no matter how much you explain or simply not wanting to be the "strange one" in the group!    Sometimes, we're easy to spot though.  I remember at my last post, I was at story time at the post library and my almost 2 year old wanted to nurse.  I was a bit self concious, thinking most  if not all of the moms would think it's weird to be nursing an older toddler, but I did it anyway because my toddler was getting cranky and insistent and I didn't want to leave becuase my older daughter was enjoying the story time. So, I said a little prayer, took a deep breath and just nursed my toddler, hoping no one would stare.  After storytime was over, one of the wives approached me and said something like "It's so nice to see someone else who nurses their older baby too!!!  It turns out we has do much in common.....homebirthing, cloth diapering, extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, attatchment parenting habits, etc.....we were good friends for years and I cried when I moved away.   You just never know when you'll meet someone or where! 

:
#10 of 76 Old 05-14-2011, 05:38 AM

I've found that finding them starts with something little and then we slowly open up about more and more that we do. One of them and I started opening up over baby wearing. She's a bit crunchier than I am, but I admire her for that and she most definitely doesn't look down on me for being "soggy"

One neighbor though I sort of did it backwards, only because we moved here when I was 7 months pregnant with Mae and the automatic first things you ask a lady who just moved to an area with a huge old tummy are "How far along are you?" "Which hospital will you be having her at?" and I had to explain we were homebirthing. Luckily she didnt think I was crazy... she had had 2 c-sections but said she wished she had been able to home birth. And from there we started to share that we breastfeed, cloth diaper, etc. I've rubbed off on her and made her a bit crunchier too... plus she's been my "getting healthy" buddy.

Speaking of getting healthy!

I am down 30 pounds since January, I am down almost 10 from where I was when I got pregnant with Mae. My son told me, the other day, "I'm glad to see you getting back to yourself" (aww, the tears!)

AND! Our FRO emailed us our homecoming window and its a couple weeks sooner than I thought and coming up quickly and I am just so excited to have my husband coming home!!!!

#11 of 76 Old 05-14-2011, 06:50 AM

Well, we made it to Louisiana :)  This is the first time I have moved without DH but it went SO well.  My friend came with me and the kids did so well.  We drove 2500 miles in 5 days... I am definitely glad to be done with it!!  Now we are just working on getting settled and cleaning and stuff.  Hopefully the next 4-6 months fly by so DH will be home!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#12 of 76 Old 05-16-2011, 01:35 PM

Rachel, glad you made it!  Hopefully getting settled in to the new place will help the time fly by.

MP, way to go on the weight loss!  Are you doing anything specific?  I really need to drop 10 lbs just to make myself feel better, but I'm lazy and DH likes ice cream.  I tend to hide my crunchiness for some reason.  I guess I just don't want to "get in to it" with people--and honestly I don't want to hear how people make their babies CIO and think cloth is "gross."  And hooray for homecomings!  Has your DH seen you since you lost the weight?  He's not going to know what to do with you!

catholic74 and Sierra Bella, welcome!

Katie, I'm glad you at least know where you're going, and you can put all of this stress behind you.  It's hard to believe that your new baby will be here so soon!

Adorkable, your twins are getting so big.  They look so serious, they're adoreable.  IKWYM about the DC area.  We were there when we met--even though there's a lot of military, it's sort of scattered and doesn't feel like a community the way it does elsewhere.

Mommytoalmost6, we'll be neighbors soon!  Well, sort of.  We're going to be living in Gloucester and DH will work at TRACEN Yorktown.  Do you happen to know what medical we'll be assigned to?  I'm thinking possibly Langley AFB, Ft. Eustice, or Yorktown NWS....   Also, I've heard that if the MTFs are full, they'll send you out to a civilian.  Anyone have any experience with this?  I'd rather see civilians but since I'm going to be a SAH we'll be on Prime until we get the finances straight....

Other than that, we have 6 days left in Texas before the big road trip to Virginia begins!  I'm ready, mostly, the house is leased, I have 2 days of work left, and the movers are coming on the 23rd.  On to the next adventure!

#13 of 76 Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 AM

DH has no clue how much I've lost. I've used sparkpeople.com to track my calories in and out, walk 2 miles a day minimum, do some Zumba on my XBox and some weight training. It doesnt take up much of my day, maybe an hour total, but it has made all the difference in the world.

Yesterday, I measured my waist and I am down from a 51 inch waist (which hurts to even think about) to a 39 inch waist and still dropping!

#14 of 76 Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 AM

jumpers.gif

Congrats!  That really is something to be proud of, because it's all YOU. 

#15 of 76 Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 AM

So, my DF left for Morocco 3 days ago, and I haven't heard from him :( How long does it usually take for your DH's to be able to contact you after they leave? He'll only be gone for one month, but I was really hoping he'd be able to call me or email me by now.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#16 of 76 Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBella View Post

So, my DF left for Morocco 3 days ago, and I haven't heard from him :( How long does it usually take for your DH's to be able to contact you after they leave? He'll only be gone for one month, but I was really hoping he'd be able to call me or email me by now.

It depends...it can take anywhere from a day to a week. It depends on where he stopped over, if he's waiting for a flight, the availability of phones and the lines. When I was in Kuwait, I got in and out within 24 hours, but some people can be there for up to a week.

#17 of 76 Old 05-17-2011, 12:20 PM

Oh, we had our baby! Harper Jay was born on 3 May, she was 7lb 15oz. I was 41 weeks and ended up being induced, since our visiting childcare had to go back to CA. LOL  She's super cute and has almost the same temperament as DD#1.

#18 of 76 Old 05-17-2011, 12:31 PM

When my husband went to Kuwait and Iraq he got ahold of me same day. Japan it took him a week and even then communication was spotty for about 2 months. The past couple months we have been able to talk nearly daily though... and before too long he will finally be home yay!

And weighed myself today. I am down 31 pounds... but more importantly... I am a weight I have not been since I was pregnant with my daughter. And I don't mean Mae. I mean the one who will be 6 next month. Hoping I can drop 9 pounds now before hubby is home... and then 30 by November so I can be the smallest I've been in 9 years for our first Marine Corps ball! I already have my dress picked out, just can't buy it until I know what size I will be!

#19 of 76 Old 05-17-2011, 04:17 PM

Congrats Sarah!! I love the name Harper!

Maeryn- 31 pounds, that's amazing! I will be 8 months pregnant for the Marine Ball! I've been looking at formal maternity dresses already! hehe

DF sent me a text-email today to tell me he made it and is alright (and he loves and misses me too, of course!), and that he won't have real communication for another week. So, I'm sooo glad he found a way to contact me, and I'll just look forward to when he can call me :)

#20 of 76 Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post

Oh, we had our baby! Harper Jay was born on 3 May, she was 7lb 15oz. I was 41 weeks and ended up being induced, since our visiting childcare had to go back to CA. LOL  She's super cute and has almost the same temperament as DD#1.

joy.gif Congratulations!  joy.gif

#21 of 76 Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 AM

Sarah congrats on the baby, yeah Harper is a great name!

Mae wow great for you getting into better shape, it must feel so good. I'm down 18 pounds from prepregnacy and yeah it feels awesome! Haven't weighed this in over 6 years!

Sierra, I was 33 weeks with my twin at last years Christmas ball, it was a blast (and such a sweet picture) I scrappy wore a non maternity gown, it was a stretchy sheith dress with some wonderful needing that had from a previous ball. I had to tweak it a tad to fit my boobs ( cut the slip out of the boob area, did not zip it the last 3 inches and tucked the open zipper in, then wore a sleek tank under it. ) no one ever noticed anything but how nice it looked! I'll post a picture.

I'm of the opinion after being preggo with twins that women often feel like blimps because we get dressed like one. I wore tighter clothing while preggo than I had in a decade and felt sexy cute like I hadn't in nearly that long because of it!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#22 of 76 Old 05-18-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Sierra, I was 33 weeks with my twin at last years Christmas ball, it was a blast (and such a sweet picture) I scrappy wore a non maternity gown, it was a stretchy sheith dress with some wonderful needing that had from a previous ball. I had to tweak it a tad to fit my boobs ( cut the slip out of the boob area, did not zip it the last 3 inches and tucked the open zipper in, then wore a sleek tank under it. ) no one ever noticed anything but how nice it looked! I'll post a picture.

I have found a couple of dresses I like.. the problem that I've noticed is that they are black (which is OK, but it seams like ALL formal dresses are black and I want something different & unique but beautiful), or they are trashy looking (I don't want to look like a pregnant prostitute!).

I've narrowed it down to these, unless I find something I like more:

http://www.pricepluckers.com/Foxy-One-Shoulder-Formal-Maternity-Dress-BI-146.htm

http://www.duematernity.com/gobamamadrby.html

http://www.duematernity.com/desadrbyri.html

I know this is waaaay early, but I have been looking forward to it since we got together (last year we were just friends and weren't dating yet, so he took someone else).

#23 of 76 Old 05-18-2011, 10:34 AM

I toattlay agree on bEing sick of black dresses and don't even get me started on the prom/ prostitute dresses. I jest went to a really important dinner were Gen Odearno sp? was the key note speaker and a fellow medic was getting a award on behalf of the in tire army's combat medics. The dress was business dress and he let his girlfriend that clearly tons of folks were going to see and get introduced to come in a mini dress and 6 inch hot pink platform high heals! Don't our guys ever get schooled on what not to drag in front of their generals? I often go for red, dh loves when i make an entrance, he's the quiet type but loves for me to get noticed.

Also if it is a evening ball I would consider sticking with long dresses, that first one is really pretty, since it is made to order they be able to make it a bit longer for you. The other way to not look to promise is to avoid the classic prom/bridesmaid updo, their are classier versions that look more mature and unique.

#24 of 76 Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:

I toattlay agree on bEing sick of black dresses and don't even get me started on the prom/ prostitute dresses. I jest went to a really important dinner were Gen Odearno sp? was the key note speaker and a fellow medic was getting a award on behalf of the in tire army's combat medics. The dress was business dress and he let his girlfriend that clearly tons of folks were going to see and get introduced to come in a mini dress and 6 inch hot pink platform high heals! Don't our guys ever get schooled on what not to drag in front of their generals? I often go for red, dh loves when i make an entrance, he's the quiet type but loves for me to get noticed.

Also if it is a evening ball I would consider sticking with long dresses, that first one is really pretty, since it is made to order they be able to make it a bit longer for you. The other way to not look to promise is to avoid the classic prom/bridesmaid updo, their are classier versions that look more mature and unique.

My problem with long dresses is that I am petite, so long dresses are always too long on me.. but since these are made to order then I guess I could tell them what length I need!

There is also this one that I like too: http://www.pricepluckers.com/Angelica-One-Shoulder-Maternity-Formal-Dress-BI-144.htm

#25 of 76 Old 05-18-2011, 10:54 AM

Having a dress hemmed is the radiate change to make, and when your preggo the hem will fall funny so getting ti done close to the Ball might be a good idea, then after you birth you can re hem it since it will be long in frontvat that point.

I love that last one, mostly cause it has a pleated bottom rather than gathered, makes it fall better and look high end. If it were mine I may find some small real silk flowers in a brighter color that go with it and nessle a few in with the ones on the strap, and then put on in my hair.

#26 of 76 Old 05-18-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, Sarah!!!

Dresses - I haven't been to a ball while heavily pregnant but agree that longer evening gowns are better for more formal occasions. Some of the things I've seen worn at balls leave me wondering what some people are thinking when they put them on. I'm more of a dark color person but I like when special fabrics and pleating/draping make a dress look more custom and different from what everyone else is wearing. I agree that getting it hemmed and altered before going to the ball would be a good idea because a seamstress can make adjustments for bust size as well as the proper hem length since you have a belly to contend with.

Nothing much to report here. Going on 34 weeks and having good days and bad days. DH is working on all his paperwork for taking the AGR slot. He still needs to be released from his NG unit so he can switch over to Reserves, and we're told this shouldn't be a problem but I'm anticipating having issues. I really don't know why since he's been in a temporary unit for the last 6 months for soldiers who aren't needed, so if they don't need him the most logical decision would be to release him.

#27 of 76 Old 05-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Having the dress hemmed right before is a great idea... so smart! There are a few places in town that do custom alterations for pretty inexpensively, and I think my cousin also does them. I think I'm leaning towards the last dress too.. I like the purple color as well. I like the idea of the flowers in the hair.. if I can find some I will try that :) I am so excited about it! It's forever away, but since this baby is due at the end of the year, most everything on my mind is stuff going on that time of year- Halloween, Thanksgiving, Marines Ball, & Christmas!

#28 of 76 Old 05-18-2011, 12:36 PM

head to a joann's fabric store and look at their silk flowers once you have a dress in your hand, you will notice some of their stuff is pretty cheesy and plastic but other ones are very very nice and more like fabric or real flowers, i have made many a hair piece from a great flower and a matching feather or two. i one even saved a favorite sweater that has a fe moth holes on the front of the shoulder area with sewing on a sprinkling of tiny coordinating flowers, it was great!

#29 of 76 Old 05-18-2011, 03:13 PM

I also agree with going with the longer dress. I've actually been told around here to avoid anything mid calf or above or it reflects poorly on your man (after all, when you are with someone in the military, you are no longer "just a civilian" but rather a reflection of him in the eyes of his higher-ups)

I believe this is the one I will be going with this year - http://www.unique-vintage.com/preorderburgundy-long-sleeve-beaded-lace-taffeta-prom-gown-m5xl-p-11791.html

G
ranted, I'm not pregnant. And will hopefully be back down to my pre-first-pregnancy size and looking fantabulous in time for his ball in November.

#30 of 76 Old 05-18-2011, 04:42 PM

Maeryn- that dress is stunning!!!

I would have no difficultly finding a truly spectacular dress, if not for me being 8+ months pregnant! Next year (which will also likely be his last) I will be able to wear a "normal" dress :)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page