NOT on Facebook tribe? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 42 Old 11-20-2011, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
FloridaBorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 813
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by 261houston View Post
I do not like what social media does to us or or children....sorry to get off the FB topic, but I needed to....and if anyone has suggestion as to where I need to post, feel free to advise. I am also considering moving to an intentional community with the children, but approaching this slowly and with much thought....  thanks for listening momma's!


I don't this this is off topic AT ALL!  Living with purpose and distancing from the mainstream is easier when you're not on FB (and when you limit online time/tv time *period*).  What I've noticed about a lot of younger folks is that it's hard to get to know them aside from their online veneer.  It's like you really have to dig to get them to open up about their likes/dislikes because FB nurtures them and they canNOT break out of their bubble and appear not cool or have their own opinion, not for one minute.  Am I generalizing?  Yes, but tell me if you've seen the same thing or give me a story otherwise.  I definitely think this is an issue that needs discussing!

 

FYI, there is an intentional community about 10 minutes up the road from me in Sunny Fla.  I think they have a baby there now, but for the longest time there were no kids, and the community is definitely open to more folks and youngins!  http://www.ecofarmfl.org

 

Whatever you decide to do, houston, I hope you can get the support you need!


Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
FloridaBorn is offline  
#32 of 42 Old 11-26-2011, 11:00 AM
 
aeterna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I really have no interest in the FB thing... I have a google+ account that I literally never update, but I was more amenable to that because it didn't require yet.another.login (I'm so bloody sick of making new logins!) somewhere. I just don't have the patience for the drama and pressure of the FB world. Plus I'd get seriously addicted to the stupid games. >.<

 

As a (soon-to-be) social worker/counselor, there are two schools of thought regarding FB: you need a page so people in the community can look you up and feel like you're trustworthy, but it needs to be a professional-only page (no pics of last weekend's drunken party, or whatever). Alternatively, you absolutely cannot friend any clients/potential clients because there's a possibility of boundary/ethical issues. 

 

So... I need to make a page just to have a page, and keep that page updated, and have that page be public/professional so it looks like I'm a real human being and trustworthy enough to see for counseling services without having to "friend" clients, but I can't post anything that's about my actual life because it might be controversial or offensive? Which means I couldn't friend half my friends, because I can't control what they post and I know them well enough to know they'll post plenty of offensive and controversial things. But then my family/friends will be upset if I 1) don't friend them or 2) don't post enough personal updates, so now I have to have TWO pages, one for pretending to be a professional automatron, and one for getting sucked into the pressure and drama of minute-by-minute updates for people who can't be bothered to do more than click "like" if I want to talk about something that actually matters?

 

....gee, sounds like fun. Where do I sign up? ROTFLMAO.gif


Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
aeterna is online now  
#33 of 42 Old 11-26-2011, 10:18 PM
 
Mommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: down south
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oy! I hear you... I just have a LinkedIn profile for the professional stuff. It makes me look trustworthy and professional and everyone can add me, but there is no "wall" for people to write on. That said, if you must have a FB profile for professional reasons, you can add all your family and friends and set the privacy settings to make it so that no one can tag you in photos or notes and no one can write on your wall except you. Good luck! Doesn't sound fun to me. I've been FB free for several months now and I do NOT miss it at all!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeterna View Post

I really have no interest in the FB thing... I have a google+ account that I literally never update, but I was more amenable to that because it didn't require yet.another.login (I'm so bloody sick of making new logins!) somewhere. I just don't have the patience for the drama and pressure of the FB world. Plus I'd get seriously addicted to the stupid games. >.<

 

As a (soon-to-be) social worker/counselor, there are two schools of thought regarding FB: you need a page so people in the community can look you up and feel like you're trustworthy, but it needs to be a professional-only page (no pics of last weekend's drunken party, or whatever). Alternatively, you absolutely cannot friend any clients/potential clients because there's a possibility of boundary/ethical issues. 

 

So... I need to make a page just to have a page, and keep that page updated, and have that page be public/professional so it looks like I'm a real human being and trustworthy enough to see for counseling services without having to "friend" clients, but I can't post anything that's about my actual life because it might be controversial or offensive? Which means I couldn't friend half my friends, because I can't control what they post and I know them well enough to know they'll post plenty of offensive and controversial things. But then my family/friends will be upset if I 1) don't friend them or 2) don't post enough personal updates, so now I have to have TWO pages, one for pretending to be a professional automatron, and one for getting sucked into the pressure and drama of minute-by-minute updates for people who can't be bothered to do more than click "like" if I want to talk about something that actually matters?

 

....gee, sounds like fun. Where do I sign up? ROTFLMAO.gif



 


Moo.

Mommel is offline  
#34 of 42 Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 AM
 
EuroMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can make it to where someone can't tag you??? How do I do that?

I hate it when people tag me in pictures. lol
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

Oy! I hear you... I just have a LinkedIn profile for the professional stuff. It makes me look trustworthy and professional and everyone can add me, but there is no "wall" for people to write on. That said, if you must have a FB profile for professional reasons, you can add all your family and friends and set the privacy settings to make it so that no one can tag you in photos or notes and no one can write on your wall except you. Good luck! Doesn't sound fun to me. I've been FB free for several months now and I do NOT miss it at all!
 



 



 


Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

EuroMama is offline  
#35 of 42 Old 11-27-2011, 12:05 PM
 
Mommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: down south
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroMama View Post

You can make it to where someone can't tag you??? How do I do that?

I hate it when people tag me in pictures. lol


If I was still on FB I would figure it out and tell you... so sorry! 


Moo.

Mommel is offline  
#36 of 42 Old 11-27-2011, 12:10 PM
 
Mommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: down south
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have started a group here: http://www.mothering.com/community/groups/show/17/not-on-facebook-tribe for us to post any number of discussions as a group. It has none of the exclusivity associated with the PP's objections, as anyone can join at any time with no restrictions. You are a member when you say you are. orngbiggrin.gif

 

We can talk about anything and start individual topic threads there to keep them more organized.

 

Anyone want to be a co-leader with me? The job entails MDC moderation in the same way that other MDC forums are moderated for adherence to MDC guidelines...


Moo.

Mommel is offline  
#37 of 42 Old 11-27-2011, 01:33 PM
 
EuroMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am actually considering leaving. I feel I am being sucked in too much by FB! lol

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post


If I was still on FB I would figure it out and tell you... so sorry! 



 


Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

EuroMama is offline  
#38 of 42 Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 PM
 
Mommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: down south
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroMama View Post
I feel I am being sucked in too much by FB! lol

 



 


Me too. I just posted a thread listing top reasons for leaving FB over in the new group! :)

 


Moo.

Mommel is offline  
#39 of 42 Old 11-29-2011, 12:07 PM
 
Nazsmum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In the vine
Posts: 2,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Not on FB. Don't understand it.

Nazsmum is offline  
#40 of 42 Old 11-29-2011, 12:44 PM
 
Koalamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So not into facebook here. Never had an account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhuti View Post

I have never been on it because I know it is a time waster and I would be instantly addicted.  
I totally agree. I know I would be addicted fast.
Quote:
What IS sad to me is that I have seen two forums that I love, MDC and a dog forum, slow down to a crawl because ( I think / have heard ) half the people just do FB instead.  I guess why would you post the same information twice?  

I am bummed that alot of the groups I was on here are now only on facebook. Like my allergy forum mamas, I have not seen them ever again after they went to the dark side. Now my local ladies group has a facebook page and I think they will eventually stop their emailing and just post events on facebook. The local homeschool group is on facebook. Sure hope I don't have to sign up just for that. So stupid.

Facebook, I hate you!!!!!!!!!splat.gif
Koalamom is offline  
#41 of 42 Old 08-05-2013, 03:11 PM
 
clh5117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post

Unfortunately I am on FB since last Feb. because I had to start networking to be successful in freelancing. 
 

I feel you!  I was having to keep mine because I part of my manager position at my last job was to update the social media.  That plus networking for business (I am a doula and I also run a non-profit) it has meant I have had to keep it and I *hate* it.  But the group to communicate with others in the lead at the non-profit is also *drum roll please* ON FACEBOOK.  Ugh.

clh5117 is offline  
#42 of 42 Old 08-31-2013, 07:10 AM
Administrator
 
cynthia mosher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Arabia!
Posts: 38,885
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

Hi everyone! Just wanted to give you all a heads up about our active Not on Facebook Tribe group forum here. Please join the group and post a hello! :)


cynthia mosher is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off