Is there still a "Mom of Many" Tribe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 11-06-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No joke, I have had 4 children in under 2 years (triplets followed by a singleton) add 1 beautiful 8 yr old and I went from being a mama of an only to being a Mom of Many very quickly.  As I manage this very busy household, I find myself wondering about the many different considerations for a large family: budgets, clothes organization, food management, menus, etc.  Is there still a moms of many tribe out there?  I have so much to learn.  Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 38 Old 11-30-2011, 02:36 PM

i miss it too help.gif

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#3 of 38 Old 11-30-2011, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have 7 nut.gif.  We have lots of struggles and lots of joy.  Right now our biggest challenge is homeschooling when some of the kids have no interest whatsoever in academics.    We're very careful with money and save wherever we can.

#4 of 38 Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 AM

I don't wander to this forum much, but I know there are quite a few MoM around.

We are going on 8 children. We definately live frugally and are pretty minimalist. I think homeschooling a group is my biggest challenge,too.I am finally(in the last few years) in a place of good organization and manage the home pretty well. The book Large Family Logistics states a lot of the same things I do(it was fun to read things I have been doing for awhile in a book.A weird validation.) I don't ascribe to all her thoughts, but it is a straightforward management book.

I never really enjoyed meal planning, so I don't. I just keep a well stocked staple pantry and a filled deep freezer and make what I want each day.

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
#5 of 38 Old 12-03-2011, 01:19 PM

i liked reading large family logistics too. it's good to have ideas and not be able to make the excuse to myself that the writer doesn't know what it's like to have a larger family (only 6 here btw. we're small biggrinbounce.gif) i also read managers of their homes which gives good ideas.

we homeschool too and it is a challenge. i'm enjoying it with the little ones (9 and under) more and more, but the older 2, who are more interested in digging dirt holes when i want them to be studying, make me feel a bit praying.gif

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#6 of 38 Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

author on that book?  i'd like to find it at the lib.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#7 of 38 Old 12-17-2011, 03:39 PM

#8 of 38 Old 02-11-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the book recommendations.  Having 5 and hearing from people with 7, 8, 9 makes me feel better, although this 4 kids two years and under thing is pretty much kicking my ass.

#9 of 38 Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 PM

maybe the MsOM are too busy! lol

going on our 4th now so can I join as a prospective MOM member? I think I need to have at least 5 before becoming a card carrying member. smile.gif

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#10 of 38 Old 07-01-2012, 10:30 AM

I miss the Moms of Many thread too! The suggestions for day to day life plus the shares made it so wonderful!!!

#11 of 38 Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM

I am finally getting back into my groove now that my littlest man is 3 months. Phew. Just in time to start the next year of school(homeschool). Trinity is starting 9th grade, Christian 8th,Gavin 6-7th,Logan 5th, Griffon 2nd, Jubilee and Pippi are doing K work together.Thankfully I am super confidant in our curriculum choices this year and am mostly trying to plan the timing of it rather than figuring out what will work per kid. I have been on top of the laundry for a while now, doing 2 loads a day every day but Sunday keeps us with a half load in the basket at any given time. I am still trying to keep the van clean...it hasn't been working so well. Jubilee and Pippi like to toss socks every time they are in their carseats. I try to stick with nice sandals but the socks are still appearing. Along with water bottles that don't ever seem to stay in the recycle bag, but roll around between the rows.The big kids like to clean it for me for $.50  so that helps.I just want it to look nicer. Maybe not like a big ole white van with 8 kids in it lol.

How is everyone else doing?

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
#12 of 38 Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 PM

lurk.gif

I'm just lurking for ideas and suggestions for later whenever I have a big family in stow...

But for now, I'm just praying for more kids. praying.gif

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#13 of 38 Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Keeping the car clean seems downright impossible with just my 4! I think my biggest problem is that we are always, always, always on the go. Down time is rare. It is hop in the car right now, with arm fills of gear, then when we finally get home, the baby is screaming, or older kids are getting ready to start eating the seats they are so hungry. I shovel it out once a week and that will take 2-3 laundry baskets at least. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#14 of 38 Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 PM

I'm lurking too. My three have me pretty busy right now, but we are planning on more someday.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#15 of 38 Old 08-07-2012, 05:21 PM

Well... *ahem* I guess the kids are keeping them busy then. lol. lol.gif

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#16 of 38 Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 PM

'is there still a moms of many tribe??? I need to pick  another mom's brain :D

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#17 of 38 Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

My favorite message board is at MOMYS.com - "Mothers of Many Young Siblings". It is a Christian site, full of awesome, helpful moms of many. Lots of new posts everyday. :)

A fun site to get sucked into is this one, where blogs belonging to Mega Families (with 7 - 54 children) are posted:

Mega-Family Blogs

forestmushroom likes this.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#18 of 38 Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM

thank you zjande!

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#19 of 38 Old 06-02-2013, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lurking.........

Im a MoM wannabe. I have a 2.5 year old and a 1 month old. I am learning that I have less and less control over my "life plans" and im gaining more confidence that we can handle whatever happens and it actually is giving me enough confidence to accept however many children I am given. Do you other MoM plan your child spacing?

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#20 of 38 Old 06-02-2013, 11:59 AM

We haven't, but that's because we discovered that our babies are sent just about every 2 yrs which is good for us. If I became fertile 6 weeks PP, I'd definitely practice child spacing. wink1.gif

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#21 of 38 Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I am having four bio-children and three of my co-wife. They all range between 3+ to 8+ years. Both I and co-wife keep quite busy in minding and bringing them up. DH plans to have one each baby from us by the next year or so.. We will have to comply with his wishes. Insha Allah all would go well.

Uzra

#22 of 38 Old 06-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

If all of you MoM would like to have your own group I can set one up for you. It will give you forum benefits in that you can create different threads within your group rather than posting to one single thread, a listing in the Groups index, group image, sticky for resources, info, roll call etc. 

Let me know if you want to get one started. thumb.gif

#23 of 38 Old 06-08-2013, 01:05 PM

If you create one, I would join. smile.gif

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#24 of 38 Old 06-08-2013, 01:34 PM

I want one, Cynthia!
#25 of 38 Old 06-08-2013, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

If it gets set up can you please put the link here? Thx.

#26 of 38 Old 06-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Anyone willing to volunteer to serve as a leader of the group? love.gif

#27 of 38 Old 06-10-2013, 12:37 PM

What exactly would a "leader" do and approximately how much time should it take?

I don't know how hoppin' our forum would be as there don't seem to be a tremendous number of us posting here, upsidedown.gif but I'd certainly join!

#28 of 38 Old 06-11-2013, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Pretty simple. Here's the text I send leader volunteers.

Thank you for volunteering to serve as group leader. You will share the responsibilities of the group moderation with your co-leader. Should your co-leader leave the group for any reason you will need to find another group leader to take her place.

As a leader you would keep an eye on the posts and behavior of members to make sure things stay nice. If you have a problem with a member that cannot be resolved directly you have the ability to remove that member from the group. You can also take on the role of initiating discussions to keep things lively. Again, this need not be a focused task but just a bit of encouragement here and there to get discussions going, especially when your group is brand new and whenever you see activity is slow.

We may also work with you to create contests and swaps to increase participation and help make the group a fun place to be a member. :)

Another role you serve is to invite others to join. It need not be a focused task but rather as you come across members around the forums you think might be interested in joining you can let them know about the group. 

Once you join the group I will set you as group leader. Please select an image to represent the group and place it on your group landing page.

if you have any questions or problems you can contact me or AdinaL for assistance.

All the best and good luck with your group!

Cynthia

#29 of 38 Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 PM

I would love to join and am happy to co-lead with someone if needed..... smile.gif

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#30 of 38 Old 06-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Thanks momtoafireteam! 

zjande - are you willing to serve as a coleader with momofafireteam?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page